Concerns about the game's quality

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is absolutely terrifying. I've been away from the forum for a few months now and come back tonight and this is the very first thread I see? What is going on?

What is your opinion on what is going on?

I'm not even sure what is going on. I saw this thread and it seems like Witcher 3 isn't in the state we think it is? The graphics have been downgraded too?

Oh, by the way, good to see you Slim. Long time no see.

The recent screenshots look below par which has led to speculation that the game has been downgragded.

What platform are they from? Do they even have this game running on consoles yet?

Yes, from quite a while in fact. In E3 they had it on X1. They did not specify the platform of this new batch, but IMHO, those wolves makes me wonder if they are porting the game to PS3 / X360 :hmm:

This reminds me of that one guy who said 2012 heralded the end of the world and a ton of rich people installed nuclear bunkers in their backyards

Then nothing happened

Honestly I'm not going to panic about a few blurry screenshots. I have enough real life shit to deal with without some random internet personality predicting the game doesn't actually exist. Why the hell would they spend months making a thirty minute demo to show to people and NOT make the rest of the game? Just because other AAA devs set a shitty example doesn't mean CDPRED will automatically follow down the same path.

I would like to know if the moderators are pushed by CDPR to agree with everything CDPR says, show or do. I've NEVER seen some critique from moderators to CDPR.
They are always like : (you said your constructive opinion) and then: You are wrong, and if you dont stop you'll get banned and this over and over again.
I think they should NOT express their opinion about what users are saying but only supervise, and if somebody is harrasing some users then ban him.
My opinion is that they should stop posting their "wise" posts about subjects and everything, but be more silent , just watch somewhere in the backround and if something bad happens, then they should take action. But until then, they should remain silent.

Probably this is my last post here so : Bye Witcher community, you are all awesome!

This. I have been banned without warning. And there are others who swear or make fun of you while defending CDPR. These holy knights are given special privilliges and all constructive criticisms are all wrong. This is why I don't post here anymore. Tired of power abusing moderators. This is how they cover up stuff. Don't be surprised they lock the thread again.

So I've seen a lot of posts here telling others to chill, to relax, to stop freaking out, to stop the fuss, the drama, and other such belittling things. There are also posts that associate some of the doubts raised solely on this NeoGAF guy to make the skepticism seem ridiculous. And then there are posts about over-prioritizing graphics. So I'd like to clarify a few things, because I feel that I, as one of the people with the recent doubts, am being seriously patronized over.

1) I am not freaking out. After writing this comment I will continue with my life, and I'll freak out over a test I have this coming week. My stress is reserved for studies, not CDPR, beloved as they are. I'm honestly wondering what are these posts that seemed to have "lost it", to warrant these condescending pearls of wisdom that people should relax? If there's some post out there along the lines of "Look at that wolf => Witcher 3 is going to flop", then that's overreacting. But focusing on these comments is too convenient. It's avoiding the more level-headed concerns. Now if the advice to relax is aimed at just general posts of skepticism, just because it's skepticism and not unwavering confidence in CDPR, then, well... I rather not "relax", by that distorted meaning. CDPR are not infallible, and people can voice their doubts without being hysterical.

I think most people here who have concerns aren't freaking out. If you can find some posts that are clearly exaggerating, then point them out, and I'll agree. But these aren't the posts which are constructive to the discussion, so I suggest we just move on anyway. If anything, I feel that all these comments suggesting people should chill are the ones exaggerating the issue, by making it appear as if the "whole forum" is going crazy. But this leads to an endless chicken and egg debate that won't get us anywhere.

2) What if I told you that the doubt doesn't necessarily derive from this GAF chap?

Just like labeling the skeptics as dramatic, saying that we're flipping over some internet poster is another way to avoid the discussion. And just like I'm not tearing my hair out at the thought of CDPR overreaching, I'm also not biting my fingernails after someone claims to have disturbing inside information.

3) "Graphics aren't the main priority anyway", or some such comment.

Let's say I agree. What does this comment have to do in a thread about graphical quality? If saying this makes sense, then I hypothetically it's valid for me to jump into any thread on any other topic and disparage the category.

Oh, this is a thread about sword mechanics? Who cares, the game is actually about the story.

Oh, this is a thread about character writing? Who cares, what matters is that your choices have consequences.

Oh, this is a thread about the art design? Who cares, what matters is that a video game is fun to interact with.

This is a thread about how the game looks. Please, don't try to enlighten me about the importance or lack thereof of this issue. Just because someone is discussing it, criticizing it and even bothered by it, does not mean he judges the game based solely, or even primarily, by said issue. And even if he considers this issue of utmost importance - please don't tell him what to look for in a video game.

And to not make my post completely without substance about the actual matter of the quality, I'll just link to my original post here.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...me-s-quality?p=1425840&viewfull=1#post1425840

I would also link to some of Jupiter's comments about very strange PR management, but I can't be bothered right now Jupiter, so sorry!

Last edited:
"Teixeria: Luckily CD Projekt was able to get their hands on the very first early development kits, and so we were able to at least... foresee, to a certain extent, the problems we might be facing. It was still quite worrying, at the same time.

Actually, though, when I really think, it went rather well. I mean, we're still far from done - we're working on it actually right now, but we're having a good time. We have everything running on consoles and PC, and it really just is now a matter of optimization. It certainly wasn't actually as bad as one might have expected - it's turned out pretty well."

Thus spoke Jose Teixeria from the RPGsite Interview at E3 2014. The full interview can be found here, and I really recommend viewers of this thread to go read it:
http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/3663-talking-visual-fx-passion-witchers-with-cd-projekt-red

Judged by his later willingness to admit the relative graphic superiority of PC, and by his job as a special effect artist, I'd take his words over the mysterious insider. Look, he admitted the pressure and difficulties the team faces in a quite honest manner, and such difficulties are common for an ambitious development like TW3. Konrad said he is a tired man and the team faces constant challenges, so really the "insider" hasn't spoiled what RED did not admit in the first place. But instead of saying "crunch time for over a year now," Jose gave the reassurance that the team is working around it "pretty well." And yes, I do believe that assessment.

In the end, TW3 is mighty beautiful as it is now. As long as I don't build my entire life's meaning on it, I'm sure I will be amazed. In the midst of Geralt's struggling personality revolving around deep relationships and believable characters, I know I won't be distracted by a tree glitch.

Last edited:
Well guys, all I can say is
CALM THE F*CK DOWN
We have 35 min demo that is great, check
Great response from CDPR, check
Great screenshots, check
Great in game trailers, check

And suddenly one guy says something bad, claiming to be "insider" and we all go rage, cry, cursing

Really guys take a deep breath and carry on with your life, we still have 4 month to go,
there are going to be bumps along the road, but in the end it will be great.
We need to show, we believe in CDPR so they'll want to create the best game for us

Well guys, all I can say is
CALM THE F*CK DOWN
We have 35 min demo that is great, check
Great response from CDPR, check
Great screenshots, check
Great in game trailers, check

And suddenly one guy says something bad, claiming to be "insider" and we all go rage, cry, cursing

Really guys take a deep breath and carry on with your life, we still have 4 month to go,
there are going to be bumps along the road, but in the end it will be great.
We need to show, we believe in CDPR so they'll want to create the best game for us

:facepalm: Just read this post. Nobody is raging and this also applies to @kissybyc, what this supposed insider said does not matter at all. What is troublesome is the quality of these new screenshots, the concerns about downgrades that were in first page of this forum, etc.. Just forget this "insider".

Is CDPR having trouble with the Witcher 3? Of course they are. You can't bring such a massive, ambitious game to the market without great difficulty.

Most of that difficulty is going to be due to the consoles. Knowing how CDPR is, they want to retain as much IQ as possible for the console versions, but the current gen consoles just aren't very strong; particularly in the CPU department. I'm certain that if the Witcher 3 was a PC only game, we would be getting it late this year, instead of early next year.

Now all of that said, I am almost 100% certain that these new screenshots have been taken with a PS4 or Xbox One dev kit, which is a PC with similar specs to the aforementioned consoles, because the hairworks fur is missing on the wolf, and the polygon count and detail seems to be significantly less than in previous screenshots reflecting lowered settings..

Hello everyone, i registered just for a quick (hopefully) post.

I'm a journalist of the Official Playstation Magazine, i'm also not a big believer in anonimity on the net so: my name is Gabriel Galliani and i'll gladly provide private verification to the mods or whoever if it's needed.
Anyway, here i am for the non-mods: https://twitter.com/GabrielGalliani
After seeing all the reactions around the web i just wanted to chime in and say that, while being skeptic about promises is always an ass-saver, over-reacting is always a bad thing....in this case i'd go by track record over a random guy (no offense, if he's reading) on a forum.
Let's pretend the game won't be the most amazing thing ever on launch day, what makes you think the devteam won't work their ass off to update it and make it even better than promised? If there's one thing people shouldn't complain about CDPR, is how they treated their customers when it came down to updates. And, again, this is just something to consider when assuming that things aren't gonna be up to snuff...which, as of now, i doubt.

People in forums just love to bandwagon, and some poster in this thread mentioned the huge ruckus about Watch Dogs and how it affected perception, he's right.
Downgrades and false PR promises are the hot topics now (along with other things that don't pertain the issue at hand), flash news: PR has been doing PR work for quite a long time (was anyone here around when trailers for games were sent on vhs? Does anyone remember the "games are gonna look like Toy Story now, we swear!" times? Yeah...i'm kinda old.) and maybe people should actually wait for a final product before jumping the gun.

Just as a disclaimer since this is still the "interwebz" and there's always a chance to be randomly burnt at the stake: No. I didn't receive any swag from CDPR ever, nor am i guilty of any conflict of interest by making this post. As a matter of fact, i'm not even the guy in charge of covering this game.

Hugs,
Gabe.

P.S. I know some might want to ask, and as far as i am concerned: the game will be amazing, make of this what you want, i'm just another poster on a forum.

Great post Gabe. You're right that track record is the most important factor, and CDPR has never disappointed in that regard. They are true professionals that take pride in their work and we all know they want to put the best product out they possibly can..

But lets be real. As ambitious a title as the Witcher 3 is, and as inexperienced with console development as CDPR is (compared to their PC experience at least), there's definitely going to be some compromises for the consoles.

The Witcher 3 has been in development for likely over 2 years by now. But two years ago, the PS4 and Xbox One didn't exist. So all the fundamentals and groundwork regarding it's technical characteristics and overall game design were decided BEFORE the specs of the PS4 and Xbox One became known.

That can be very problematic, because they are POSSIBLY discovering that the game will not be able to run on the consoles without some kind of sacrifices to the fundamental game design, which had already been decided on years ago.. This is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO WATCH DOGS, and was a huge factor in why Watch Dogs was inevitably downgraded..

Watch Dogs was first developed on PC, but after Ubisoft postponed the release date by 6 months, they had made drastic changes to the game to account for the PS4 and Xbox One.. I hope the same fate does not befall the Witcher 3, and I don't think that CDPR would significantly downgrade the PC version due to the inequities of the consoles as they are a developer with strong PC roots and the Witcher series is extremely popular among PC gamers. On consoles, it's much less popular.. But I'm sure CDPR wants to change that, as console development can be extremely profitable..

So I've seen a lot of posts here telling others to chill, to relax, to stop freaking out, to stop the fuss, the drama, and other such belittling things. There are also posts that associate some of the doubts raised solely on this NeoGAF guy to make the skepticism seem ridiculous. And then there are posts about over-prioritizing graphics. So I'd like to clarify a few things, because I feel that I, as one of the people with the recent doubts, am being seriously patronized over.

1) I am not freaking out. After writing this comment I will continue with my life, and I'll freak out over a test I have this coming week. My stress is reserved for studies, not CDPR, beloved as they are. I'm honestly wondering what are these posts that seemed to have "lost it", to warrant these condescending pearls of wisdom that people should relax? If there's some post out there along the lines of "Look at that wolf => Witcher 3 is going to flop", then that's overreacting. But focusing on these comments is too convenient. It's avoiding the more level-headed concerns. Now if the advice to relax is aimed at just general posts of skepticism, just because it's skepticism and not unwavering confidence in CDPR, then, well... I rather not "relax", by that distorted meaning. CDPR are not infallible, and people can voice their doubts without being hysterical.

I think most people here who have concerns aren't freaking out. If you can find some posts that are clearly exaggerating, then point them out, and I'll agree. But these aren't the posts which are constructive to the discussion, so I suggest we just move on anyway. If anything, I feel that all these comments suggesting people should chill are the ones exaggerating the issue, by making it appear as if the "whole forum" is going crazy. But this leads to an endless chicken and egg debate that won't get us anywhere.

2) What if I told you that the doubt doesn't necessarily derive from this GAF chap?

Just like labeling the skeptics as dramatic, saying that we're flipping over some internet poster is another way to avoid the discussion. And just like I'm not tearing my hair out at the thought of CDPR overreaching, I'm also not biting my fingernails after someone claims to have disturbing inside information.

3) "Graphics aren't the main priority anyway", or some such comment.

Let's say I agree. What does this comment have to do in a thread about graphical quality? If saying this makes sense, then I hypothetically it's valid for me to jump into any thread on any other topic and disparage the category.

Oh, this is a thread about sword mechanics? Who cares, the game is actually about the story.

Oh, this is a thread about character writing? Who cares, what matters is that your choices have consequences.

Oh, this is a thread about the art design? Who cares, what matters is that a video game is fun to interact with.

This is a thread about how the game looks. Please, don't try to enlighten me about the importance or lack thereof of this issue. Just because someone is discussing it, criticizing it and even bothered by it, does not mean he judges the game based solely, or even primarily, by said issue. And even if he considers this issue of utmost importance - please don't tell him what to look for in a video game.

And to not make my post completely without substance about the actual matter of the quality, I'll just link to my original post here.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...me-s-quality?p=1425840&viewfull=1#post1425840

I would also link to some of Jupiter's comments about very strange PR management, but I can't be bothered right now Jupiter, so sorry!

Brilliant post, agree with every word. The only ones "overreacting" and "doom and glooming" are the patronizers who keep calling on others to "calm down" as if they were some paragon of calmness.

Jupiter_on_Mars

Hello everyone, i registered just for a quick (hopefully) post.

I'm a journalist of the Official Playstation Magazine, i'm also not a big believer in anonimity on the net so: my name is Gabriel Galliani and i'll gladly provide private verification to the mods or whoever if it's needed.
Anyway, here i am for the non-mods: https://twitter.com/GabrielGalliani
After seeing all the reactions around the web i just wanted to chime in and say that, while being skeptic about promises is always an ass-saver, over-reacting is always a bad thing....in this case i'd go by track record over a random guy (no offense, if he's reading) on a forum.
Let's pretend the game won't be the most amazing thing ever on launch day, what makes you think the devteam won't work their ass off to update it and make it even better than promised? If there's one thing people shouldn't complain about CDPR, is how they treated their customers when it came down to updates. And, again, this is just something to consider when assuming that things aren't gonna be up to snuff...which, as of now, i doubt.

People in forums just love to bandwagon, and some poster in this thread mentioned the huge ruckus about Watch Dogs and how it affected perception, he's right.
Downgrades and false PR promises are the hot topics now (along with other things that don't pertain the issue at hand), flash news: PR has been doing PR work for quite a long time (was anyone here around when trailers for games were sent on vhs? Does anyone remember the "games are gonna look like Toy Story now, we swear!" times? Yeah...i'm kinda old.) and maybe people should actually wait for a final product before jumping the gun.

Just as a disclaimer since this is still the "interwebz" and there's always a chance to be randomly burnt at the stake: No. I didn't receive any swag from CDPR ever, nor am i guilty of any conflict of interest by making this post. As a matter of fact, i'm not even the guy in charge of covering this game.

Hugs,
Gabe.

P.S. I know some might want to ask, and as far as i am concerned: the game will be amazing, make of this what you want, i'm just another poster on a forum.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your input.

First off, «People in forums just love to bandwagon» is the kind of silly vaporous blanket statement I would avoid. You're a person; this is a forum; Would you yourself be bandwagoning? You have provided us with your real life credentials. It's a bold move and I appreciate boldness. But that does not impart on the validity of your points in any way. It neither attests nor invalidates them. Prior examination, your points hold the same pending status as those of the average random anonymous guy.

I'm not in the position to say cancelling a pre-order is an over-reaction tout court. I don't know why the individuals in question pre-ordered in the first place; they haven't shared their motivations, so I can't assess that. Let's say they originally pre-ordered chiefly because of the standard-setting, unprecedented visuals and now feel the game won't deliver. Would that be an over-reaction? People have pre-ordered and will be buying the game for all sorts of reasons and to my estimation, contrary to what one or two zealots would have you believe, no one is in the position to tell them which reasons are legitimate and which are not. Their reasons, their money.

But I can tell you this: had I pre-ordered, I would not cancel. That's only half of the equation though. I - and I assume others who unapologetically prize visuals - was set on buying a brand new GTX 980-powered rig for TW3. It was a testament to my fondness for this game's graphics. If in the remaining 5 months, visuals on PC prove to be closer to the latest screenshots rather than to the VGX or SoD trailers, then I'm afraid there's simply no point in even contemplating that purchase.

I'm sure you realize that's no trivial point.

Look forward to reading more from you.

Last edited:
As someone who does the occasional peruse on NeoGAF but could never be bothered to sign up, I've noticed that over the years they absolutely LOVE their little "insiders".
CBOAT, Shinobi (Or were they the same person?) and various other little incidents, they absolutely love letting these people stay on the forums and post their nonsense because it gives the site popularity. Just like how the dude who runs the site had a massive whinge about how he wasn't allowed to go to E3 this year, they just love "being in the spotlight". Sure these "insiders" are correct some of the time, but frequently they just make educated guesses and are occasionally right, none of them were even correct most of the time.

When shit like this happens and these little "rumors" break, any journalist sites that talk about it link to NeoGAF, other forums (Like what's happening now) links to NeoGAF, and they absolutely love it.
Frankly I wouldn't trust NeoGAF's verification system at all and if WE can't see the evidence, I don't believe it. Many people were making a fuss over how these screenshots looked really bad, and it's a prime time for some "insider" to come along and try to say that the games overall development is in turmoil and attempting to insinuate that the console versions are going to be rubbish or at the very least not worth buying.

Yes, the recent batch of screenshots was pretty underwhelming but there's 2 facts that we know absolutely for certain:
1. The Demo during the Microsoft Conference looked fantastic and that was running on the bloody XBOX ONE, with an old build, the framerate was a little jerky but otherwise it was great.
2. The 35 Minute Demo didn't look as good as the SoD Trailer, sure, but it still looked fantastic and without a doubt the best looking open world game to date, and same as the Xbone footage it was running on an old build.

Ultimately, I see more reason to believe that the game will look absolutely fine by release. Perhaps it won't look as good as SoD, and you know what? All that will do is make me be a lot more skeptical of Promotional Footage for future CDPR games (2077 and beyond) and you know what, there's nothing wrong with that. However the hope is that their PR department will learn some valuable lessons from TW3's fairly "all-over-the-place" PR and they will do better next time and I'll wait until launch day to see if we truly have received a significant 'downgrade'.

That's my 5 cents anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom