Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yeah, I'd have held off longer with my SLI GTX 580s, but one of them died, and the latest games were dropping below 30 fps at times. So , it was time to upgrade. I'll likely SLI my GTX 980 next year, and that will do me until 'big' Pascal or whatever is best at that time in 2017.
I think 500 series was the worst Nvidia line up.
I also had a 580 that died, and I know other people who had 570s and 580s that died.

Kdramastars.

Just read the name of that site again, and think about it's credibility.

CDPR have not come out and said anything about system specs so far.

It's an old rumor that keeps getting circulated over and over on new websites with new titles. Maybe TW3 news is so famous these days that some websites use it to bring easy traffic.

Now speaking about the rumor itself, we don't even know if it's entirely true but if we believe it then it got leaked some months ago which means the game is far from being optimized so these results are from an optimized build of the game and in addition to that 8x MSAA is an overkill for any single GPU out there. Just turn on 8x MSAA on Crysis and see what it does to GTX 780Ti or an R9 290X. 2x MSAA or 4x maybe is more than enough to remove all jaggies.

@tahirahmed and @Kinley are right: the provenance of this one gives it no credibility at all, and repeating it as if it were somehow founded on anything does everybody a disservice.

The only people who know how this game performs at this stage of its development are in no position to talk about it. Anybody who pretends to know, actually knows nothing.

And @Lieste has the best advice. Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. It isn't time yet.

I think 500 series was the worst Nvidia line up.
I also had a 580 that died, and I know other people who had 570s and 580s that died.

True. The Fermis had power and heat problems, and these were magnified in the second generation (5xx series). It was made worse by nVidia drivers that overvoltaged them.

Last edited:
True. The Fermis had power and heat problems, and these were magnified in the second generation (5xx series). It was made worse by nVidia drivers that overvoltaged them.
Exactly. I think it was the 314.xx or 320.xx drivers that killed my 580. It was fine until I upgraded the driver, and it started freezing and it finally died on me.
I really respect your knowledge @Guy N'wah, and I wanted to get your opinion on the 980 and the 970. Do you think they are good cards or should we wait ?

Did someone say...Fermi?

As for Kdramastars(like the name isn't enough hint already) all they post is bullshit "rumours" about many games I've noticed over time, don't pay them any attention.

Exactly. I think it was the 314.xx or 320.xx drivers that killed my 580. It was fine until I upgraded the driver, and it started freezing and it finally died on me.
I really respect your knowledge @Guy N'wah, and I wanted to get your opinion on the 980 and the 970. Do you think they are good cards or should we wait ?

Doesn't hurt to wait, unless you must have a new card now. Let other users and nVidia shake out the inevitable bugs in the drivers. The 970/980 are very promising. But the early adopters always get the most grief.

Since I'm getting a 1440p monitor next week I'd really like to upgrade my GPU asap.

Really hoping for a release of the big core Maxwell before the end of the year. Plz Nvidia..

Guys, i need some advice with respect to MBs and CPUs, especially some good combos.
Currently i have an I5 2400, and an Asus P8H61 (the mini one), and i have a 660ti. While i'm actually very happy with my PC, i do want to upgrade. And i have the room for a full sized MB.
I niether have the budget, nor the want for the latest and greatest, but i do want something that will run newer games at high. By 'games', yes i do mean mainly Witcher 3 :)
I'm not an expert in these things, i don't overclock and i don't need anything with the latest tech as i'm not going to use it. And I want to stick with Intel and Nvidia.
I don't want to start talking about GPUs, i'm just after a nice MB/CPU combo.
Any ideas please?

@Mouse

When it comes to gaming, GPU is the first component to consider then we have CPU/RAM and Motherboard is the last to think about. For some huge games like TW3, faster hard drive can also play important role in providing a more enjoyable experience (you don't want loading stutters) so SSD is also something to think about as well.

Now speaking about CPUs I say your i5 2400 is a decent processor and you can wait until official system requirements are out but speaking generally a second to fourth generation i5 is more than enough to play any game, you don't need crazy high end i7 to get good performance, recent system requirements from several games are simply exaggerated, for example Watch Dogs asked for an i7 3770 but I never felt any performance issue on my i5 4690k, I also have an i5 2500k on another system and it also ran the game nicely.

About MBs, it really depends on what you want to get. I recently bought this

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z97G45_GAMING.html#hero-overview

I like that it has support for both Crossfire and SLI setups, additionally it has integrated Sound Blaster Cinema which gives you great quality sound and customization. I am sure other reputed MB makers like Gigabyte and Asus have similar features too so it really depends on your choice, right now I am quite happy with this setup but once again the bulk of that happiness comes from the GPU not MB + CPU combo.

@tahirahmed and @Kinley are right: the provenance of this one gives it no credibility at all, and repeating it as if it were somehow founded on anything does everybody a disservice.

The only people who know how this game performs at this stage of its development are in no position to talk about it. Anybody who pretends to know, actually knows nothing.

And @Lieste has the best advice. Don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. It isn't time yet.

I can confirm this also. In fact I am on my 4th RMA on a set of 560 2g Vram cards from EVGA. I sold one but I kept one for a test card, PhysX only card, or ITX build later for work. I suggested this time perhaps they give me a newer card in it's stead as I am a tad unhappy. I asked for 750 so we shall see. I have bought 9 gpu's from EVGA in the last 4 years/ so maybe they will take my request serious. If they do I will reward them with 2 or 3 970FTW cards by Xmas(or if they release something else that catches my eye) If not I will likely try another brand this round. GIgabyte windforce g1 970 is getting great reviews and most of MBs are Gigabytes....so there is that I suppose.......sorry to ramble

"Requires an i7" is the height of bogosity. There is nothing an i7 can run that an i5 can't, unless the developer is so stupid that they hard-code the CPU affinity. The only difference in performance is a small one due to the i7 having more thread contexts.

I will join the mob at the barricades if TW3 comes out with any "requirement" like that. What arrogance on the part of the developer, what cluelessness on the part of their product manager and marketers.

My theory is that they are smarter than we think. Hear me out!!!

What if they are tired of hearing whiners complain about how there rig should run this game but it is having issue for what ever reasons......
So, They state it needs an i7 to shut those people up. You know the ones I am talking about. I got p4, or an original Phenom and I play all other games I own no problem.....BLAH BLAH BLAH..... You get where I am coming from? Same with out dated GPUs...............

Or as you said they could be bumbling idiots

My theory is that they are smarter than we think. Hear me out!!!

What if they are tired of hearing whiners complain about how there rig should run this game but it is having issue for what ever reasons......
So, They state it needs an i7 to shut those people up. You know the ones I am talking about. I got p4, or an original Phenom and I play all other games I own no problem.....BLAH BLAH BLAH..... You get where I am coming from? Same with out dated GPUs...............

Or as you said they could be bumbling idiots

On the other hand, it's a good excuse for not giving support when someone has an I5 that should be able to run it, not the guy with the P4.
And I'd be joining Guy on the barricades (I have I7, but I don't expect it to run flat out when gaming).

@tahirahmed

Thanks for the reply.
The reason i said i wasn't too concerned about GPU at the moment is that it depends on system specs and what i can get away with for my budget. Because if games like W3 need something crazy like the latest cards, then i won't be able to do that, in which case, i would probably go SLI with 2 cheaper cards.
Plus i tend to think of a CPU and MB as a 'foundation', so to speak. Obviously you have to at least have an idea what you want to put on that, but i think as long as a foundation is good, you shouldn't have too many problems.

SSD is a nice idea, but i won't be able to afford to upgrade everything. So for now, my main areas are RAM (i really need more), CPU (maybe), GPU and MB, and probably the PSU. I won't be doing anything else, and even what i do in those areas really depends on system specs needed, and what i can get away with. Plus, being in Australia, everything is going to cost me a million times as much as anywhere else... so yeah.

Na, i wasn't thinking at all about i7s. I wanted to stay i5, and yeah, my 2400 is decent enough. And i can always put that money towards something else.
Don't get me started on Watch Dogs... that game was a horrid excuse for a port, as were the last few Assassin Creed games... 'Ubisoft' is a bad word in my house, lol.

MB i do want to swap also as the one i have now is a mini with only 2 slots for RAM, and only 2 for USBs, and no SLI. I also need the extra USB slot.

Oops, didn't even notice, yeah I typed 97% by mistake it's 77% :p

And I meant computationally cheap, not financially.

SSD is a nice idea, but i won't be able to afford to upgrade everything. So for now, my main areas are RAM (i really need more), CPU (maybe), GPU and MB, and probably the PSU. I won't be doing anything else

so you're keeping only case and HDD lol :D jokes apart I read all the post, you don't want to change the mobo if you don't change CPU, and if you change it you're basically making a new PC. You'll probably need 8 Gb of RAM, not more, then you can simply change GPU with a good one (960, even 970 if you can afford it, or AMD counterparts) and you're done if you don't want to max the game but still play nicely IMHO. If you want to put some more money in it you can buy a SSD and only then CPU+MOBO

I'm running Shadow of Mordor at Ultra settings (only texture is on High) at 720p.
I'm using a GTX 760 2 GB, and I'm getting between 30-60 fps.
I think I will be able to run The Witcher 3 on a mixed High/Ultra settings at 720p with no problems at all.
My rig
Core I7 4770
GTX 760 2 GB
8 GB Ram
Futere plan: Buy more 8 GB Ram and an SSD

And I meant computationally cheap, not financially.
Well it's not financially cheap either to be honest. I mean 1440p monitors are a lot more expensive vs 1080p ones and you obviously need a beefy GPU to run games at max settings on that resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom