Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
He could do that in DA2 by the way.
I wonder how everybody, everytime, look surprised that the game isn't realistic or GRR Martin material.
Yes, it's a comicbook/Marvel/song of heroic deeds game. It's like nobody wants to aknowledge that.

My memories pretty good, it's in the rogue tree da2, but the distance is much less than that, the point of the skill was to detaunt. As I said for some reason my Varric didn't have it, I'm assuming it was so far up a melee skilltree it was pointless for an archer, or something, and Bianca needed the points.

edit: and @Cheylus; its not so much about the looks, its that the game ultimately appears to be pure gratification, with no challenge or depth, dumb story & dialogue, rampant fanboy service, no vision compared to past glories, total detachment from DA1 lore & style, oh and so many other things, plus past letdowns & now predictable future of the now entirely insipid bioware.

Its crap in a box.

Last edited:
He could do that in DA2 by the way.
I wonder how everybody, everytime, look surprised that the game isn't realistic or GRR Martin material.
Yes, it's a comicbook/Marvel/song of heroic deeds game. It's like nobody wants to aknowledge that.

I don't mind other rogues hopping around and such. To an extent. But a round little Dwarf pulling acrobatic skills like that is where I draw the line. Friend of mine on another site claims Varric did this in DA 2... I didn't play with him a great deal, but I don't remember anything of the sort. If he did backflip, it wan't anywhere near as "Ninja Gaiden" as this.

There's a difference between a power you can choose to unlock for him and commonly hopping around like it's no tomorrow. And it wasn't as I said, nearly as ridiculous as this. He's flying around like batman arkham city.

edit: Also, not realistic doesn't equal Anime levels of stupid.

@Unkindled
This is video games to you.
People can jump miles in plate armor, roll with zweihanders on their back, swing through flesh like it's butter and kill mushrooms with their buttcheeks.
I don't say you have to like it, mind you, to each his own, but you should look at your expectations.

edit:
edit: and @Cheylus; its not so much about the looks, its that the game ultimately appears to be pure gratification, with no challenge or depth, dumb story & dialogue, rampant fanboy service, no vision compared to past glories, total detachment from DA1 lore & style, oh and so many other things, plus past letdowns & now predictable future of the now entirely insipid bioware.

Its crap in a box.
I don't know, haven't played it yet. I didn't like how ME3 felt gameplay-wise on screen and I actually spent hundreds of hours with friends on the multiplayer.
I don't know about the challenge and I don't know what people's definition of "depth" is. I have no idea what "vision", "past glories", "past letdowns" and "predictable future" means, but I may be a little-to down-to-earth and stupid. And I have yet to play a game with a better and more original story than an average book. As for pure gratification, every step I made in Dark souls was gratification (and I could backflip like a Ninja while being an overweight dude wielding giant swords), so I've no idea what it means exactly once again.
I'd go back talking about the songs of heroic deeds genre because it's full of "stupid dialogs" and it still shaped a part of european imagination that is a little brought back, at least to me, in heroes movies and something like DA. I'm not saying DA:I is a milestone in art, FAR FROM IT, I think I simply understand where it has some of its roots. It's more Rabelais and Spielberg/Lucas than Ulysses and GRR Martin. I can enjoy both trends and mixes of both.
How is this breaking DA1 lore? DA:O had little character to me (at a time everybody was pumped up by LotR movies), it took absolutely no risk (like most starting licences) and I still liked it. DA:I looks generic too of course but the kind of generic I've seen more in some "B serie movies" I enjoyed as a child like Krull, Neverending story, Excalibur, Indiana Jones... and nothing like the generic GRR Martin soap stuff people seem to enjoy these days. Young people would dismiss John McLane surviving hell barehanded in Die Hard.

Of course as a human being I'm way more nourrished by Tarkovski, Rohmer, Dostoievski and history books that shaped me as a person, but something (maybe the idiotic child in me) enjoys Guardians of the Galaxy, silly things and fireworks.

Last edited:
@Cheylus you're describing it as if it's an "either \ or" situation. It's not such an unbending dichotomy; it's more of a scale. I don't think that the other posters here who feel it's too flashy are against having any sort of flashiness, and are baffled why this isn't Kingdom Come: Deliverance level of realism. They \ we were just hoping for something more moderate. And that's the thing, I guess. Everything in moderation. And very little seems moderated so far in DA:I's animations and lights. The vast majority of battles I've seen pan out as if they were striving to look "magnificent".

And this isn't a definitive trait of the series, that we shouldn't be surprised is making a return. The first game was much less over the top, in terms of animations. The second began to turn towards the flashy. Inquisition could choose either path, and it elected DA2 2.0. That's why I'm disappointed, and I'm assuming some others here, as well.

swing through flesh like it's butter

No problem there. ;)

Still, I'd say it's the detachment from DA:O, that's so upsetting about this. The series started off quite gritty and 'realistic' (in terms of fantasy realism).

It's a bit like the Star Wars prequels. Just because it's a space opera, doesn't mean I want Jar Jar Binks.

I edited my previous post.
@eliharel
I've seen countless people here saying DA:I is crap because it's unrealistic and over-the-top though. Big surprise! I might say.

Most devs and games are into moderation because moderation means you don't have to innovate but limits yourself at excelling at what you're doing. I have little patience to game series that stay faithful to a style from game to game. Every licence is like that, with minor changes from time to time. Eventually most failed attempt at making changes (and yes DA2 is a big fail and a bad game) leads devs to get back in line and make a sequel "back to the roots" to reassure people.
I have no idea how DA will be in the long run, but I like a lot when people go from a general design to another and BioWare, while not doing it as much as I would like, does it a little more than usual in DA:I (it seems). People call that inconsistency when they're fed with the same things over and over and are mostly happy with it. Maybe some don't like DA:I because they liked BG too much, wanted DA:O to be another BG and can't stand the fact DA:I isn't BG at all.
Moderation? That's the same dilemna I was talking about: Ulysses vs Rabelais > self-control and measure VS parody, bawdy stuff and people exploring the world in a giant's mouth. With moderation as a principle you wouldn't have played half of the games you put above all else.

Last edited:
You know what I'm seeing: a dismissal & belittling of valid gamer concerns equating to non-engagement on the issues reminiscent of a certain kind of journalism.

You know what I'm wondering: anecdotally & based on the reception of the last 3 releases a worrying lack of preorders that would make a company like EA capable of anything at this point, including the enrolment of viral marketers.

You know what I'm doing: forgetting about this unremarkable imminent release from a fallen hero, now risen as a shade of its former self.

@Unkindled
This is video games to you.
People can jump miles in plate armor, roll with zweihanders on their back, swing through flesh like it's butter and kill mushrooms with their buttcheeks.
I don't say you have to like it, mind you, to each his own, but you should look at your expectations.

You're over-exaggerating by a mile. I don't even need to go out of dragon age to prove my point. Because even in previous games with rogues, they didn't jump around this much. Worst offense was that one ability meant to get rid of aggro, and the backstab teleport type deal. Like I said, not realistic doesn't equal Anime levels of stupid.

Witcher, isn't at all realistic in fighting, especially in Witcher 2, but at least the dude is a mutant, so there's some excuse. And besides that, he still doesn't get nearly to the level of this, even with the continuous rolling. Yea, I get that this is a video game, but this pushes, no, it utterly annihilates all suspension of disbelief even within the established world where people are abnormally powerful and athletic.

Another video, this time with a commentary. Seems this guy actually knows how to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muFiASIhlo4
Heh, auto-refilling potions. Maybe the two companies are collaborating...
I'm really digging the absence of regenerating health. Very excited about it. Hope it turns out balanced enough.

I also like that you can fast travel from any point by just opening the map screen, like in Skyrim. Limiting you to signposts in TW3 has me slightly worried that it'll very quickly become tedious in a world so large and a game so long.

Btw, am I imagining it or is there a pretty huge amount of material being shown in recent weeks? I mean, more than usual for a game before its release?

I'm really digging the absence of regenerating health. Very excited about it. Hope it turns out balanced enough.

I also like that you can fast travel from any point by just opening the map screen, like in Skyrim. Limiting you to signposts in TW3 has me slightly worried that it'll very quickly become tedious in a world so large and a game so long.

As long as there's things to explore in between, it should be just fine. I stopped fast traveling besides with boats and carriages after a while in the game and got around fine. If they include horses too, it should be fine as well as far as Witcher 3 goes. Faster than Skyrim's hopefully. The horses in Skyrim were pitiful.

They are not "powerful and athletic"; Roland, Jeanne d'Arc or Achilles weren't "powerful" and "athletic", they are heroes and legends with one-sided personality and morale.
But of course you can think it's "anime shit" and it could be a little bit of that.

Because even in previous games with rogues, they didn't jump around this much.
What did I say about people not being able to go out of their comfort zone in gaming licences?

And here is a fight with the dragon.

Also... I chuckled when he called Varric "Gimli archer" :lol:

Here's something I can actually be positive about. I love how massive the dragons and giants are, and that they're not pushovers. Also, destructive environment, even if it's just a few stone parts.

EDIT: LOL That floating pillar glitch... bad.

Would EA please get someone who actually knows shit about the franchise? This guy has clearly never played a DA game before.

Good to know that the game is hard though...or maybe he just sucked.

Well, looking at a player who doesn't know the franchise is way more interesting and possibly a bit more objective in my opinion.
Not the case here because he was invited by EA, but I've seen vids of people who were allowed to record their gameplay in some conventions, and it's interesting to have their opinion as newcomers.

I'm pretty sure Skyrim had a lot of influence over this. Having possibly infinite health potions in your inventory in an open world and/or semi open world games is nonsense in Skyrim. This is a smart and obvious answer to that mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom