Combat system

+
Many years ago I bought one of the first MechWarrior FPS PC games, as I recall it played just fine on the 386/25 I had at the time. Then I upgraded to a 486/33 (or maybe 486/100) and the game became unplayable because the AI units reacted and fired so fast there was no way in hell to keep up.

Haven't seen the same problem since on any game I've bought, but it was semi-amusing.

If it was the first one then there is a solution by running the game on DOSBox, and in the DOSBox configuration files chance a few things... including the cycle speed, so you can slow down your cpu for the game (or that the program only uses a certain amount... not sure which way it does it). There is general information on how to make the game work on the site Abandonia (towards the bottom of the page for the game) and PCGamingWiki.

PCGamingWiki is a really useful page for any game/gaming in general, be it about bugs, various problems, or even things like essential or useful mods etc.

Last edited:
It really depends how many characters/NPCs you're controlling.
If it's just one then a Witcher style or FPS combat system would work fine. But if you're controlling a team/party they need FAR better companion AI then most games have or pause 'n play (or something similar) vice Witcher/FPS style combat because you can't effectively control multiple characters/NPCs with that style combat system.
Depends on the system. Mass Effect had very simple way of controling your team in combat. Similar to Republic Commando. I don't think you need more than that without turning the game into a full-fledged [team] tactical shooter.

There's also the fact that in most games you're outnumbered and the AI controlled NPCs react at the speed of your CPU.
Can you clarify the meaning of this? Why do you assume you'll be outnumbered or forced to fight when outnumbered? What AI controlled NPCs reaction time has to do with this? Unless their accuracy won't be tied to their weapons (which can vary, depending on weapon, distance and cover) I don't see the problem with them being able to react more or less quickly to the situation.

Last edited:
That is clearly not the PC UI for one... even if it might be played on a PC the guy who made the video (who was flown out and got to play and record this video with the Devs of the game... an extreamly controlled enviroment to begin with)... they are clearly playing the game with a contoller, and not mouse and keyboard. The way they play it in this video is more how Dragon age 2 was played.

The ui for the game when you play the PC version WITH mouse and keyboard looks different. And you will be able to play the game in the original tactical view that you could play the game in Dragon Age Origins (so top down, from a higher distence then this video shows). Check first post in this thread for screenshot of PC UI and the tactcal view.

As for how close to this Cyberpunk might or might not be... I have no earthly idea really... but I don't think it will be all that simmilar... because if you compare Dragon Age with Witcher you will see there is a distinct difference between then.

Can you clarify the meaning of this? Why do you assume you'll be outnumbered or forced to fight when outnumbered? What AI controlled NPCs reaction time has to do with this? Unless their accuracy won't be tied to their weapons (which can vary, depending on weapon, distance and cover) I don't see the problem with them being able to react more or less quickly to the situation.

Most games have you outnumbered by NPC opponents (unless it's a "Boss" type battle).
And in most cases the NPCs can react far more efficiently then a player (assuming the AI isn't crap). They can take cover faster, fire thru small clear line-of-sight areas in the terrain a player can barely see, react to a player actions near instantly, almost always know exactly where the player is regardless of lighting, etc.

I guess if you're an hard core FPS fan it would.
But unlike guns swords are ill-suited to FPS gameplay in general.

I'm quite the opposite of that.

I found DA:O combat to be passable (if only there had been less trashmobs...), but this looks like Kingdoms of Amalur type whacking with four characters.

@Sardukhar Not just flaring and glaring, but "superimposed"...

And you will be able to play the game in the original tactical view that you could play the game in Dragon Age Origins

So, on PC, you have the cursor there to pick the targets and play the game like, say, Icewind Dale (or DAO)?

Last edited:
We want an immersive combat system working with immersion.
Of course, with combats, and robots and baloonns (not aviable 'till you reach the level 99)

So, on PC, you have the cursor there to pick the targets and play the game like, say, Icewind Dale (or DAO)?

That would be the assumption yes. Till this day, though, they have not shown any kind of gameplay, as far as I know, that features the game played with a mouse and keyboard on a pc. Everything seems to have been played with a controller, be it on a console or a pc. But in most gameplay videos I have seen they do occationally show the topdown view, and show how you can controle the game from there even with the controller, which of course is a bit clunky at best since its with a controller. But often they show that in combination with the pause system of the game at the same time, which means that even with a controller it's still pretty simple and easy to use, and from what I can see you can do some pretty advanced stuff even with the controller. I have only seen the tactical view used in combat though... so I don't actually know if you can run around in the world in the tactical view... or if it is only usable in combat. And I don't actually know if they will have an arrow on the screen when you play with a mouse and keyboard... but considering what the PC UI screenshots show... I find it hard to belive they would not have an arrow for a mouse and keyboard user.

Of course... I could be compleatly wrong... I am asuming a fair bit based on what I have seen so far, after all. :p

From what I've seen you control one of your four party members at a time in an over-the-shoulder 3rd person view but have the option to swap who you control at any time. Or pause and issue orders to any/all party members, if you want you can pause after every set of orders has been completed thus making it play more-or-less like a turn based game.

I think for the melee combat a fusion of arkham series and bayonetta may work well, for example the free flow system and the dodges of arkham and the combos and brutality of bayonetta. Having played the demo of bayonetta 2 i think that an oriented hack and slash combat or beat em up may work really good in the game.

Most games have you outnumbered by NPC opponents (unless it's a "Boss" type battle
I understood this the first time. I am asking why you assume this to be the case in CP77. Because some (most) other games did this? I do hope CPDR have more originality within themselves than that. I expect from an RPG a large array of possibilities to deal with enemies. Larger than "shoot them all" for sure. Of course, I have nothing against people who want to rush in a group of enemies, but that's their graveyard, not mine and this can hardly be considered to be an issue.

And in most cases the NPCs can react far more efficiently then a player (assuming the AI isn't crap). They can take cover faster, fire thru small clear line-of-sight areas in the terrain a player can barely see, react to a player actions near instantly, almost always know exactly where the player is regardless of lighting, etc.
I disagree. There are ways to limit the AI - they might spot and recognize you instantly, but they can be also programmed in a way that they take some time to recognize you for who you really are, thus giving you time to hide (and potentially kill). Same goes for gunfight: their accuracy can be limited to weapon they use, or type of enemy they are, to substances they are using in the in-game world and so on, and so on...

I understood this the first time. I am asking why you assume this to be the case in CP77. Because some (most) other games did this? I do hope CPDR have more originality within themselves than that. I expect from an RPG a large array of possibilities to deal with enemies. Larger than "shoot them all" for sure. Of course, I have nothing against people who want to rush in a group of enemies, but that's their graveyard, not mine and this can hardly be considered to be an issue.
It's 'heroic', (or at the least, 'cinematic'.) If you read the character creation section of the Cyberpunk 2020 core book you will find it noted that even 'average' player characters are at least in some way exceptional when compared to other people.

I disagree. There are ways to limit the AI - they might spot and recognize you instantly, but they can be also programmed in a way that they take some time to recognize you for who you really are, thus giving you time to hide (and potentially kill). Same goes for gunfight: their accuracy can be limited to weapon they use, or type of enemy they are, to substances they are using in the in-game world and so on, and so on...
This I do agree with.

Also, I want a combat system where this is possible:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I want a combat system where this is possible:

<snips video of dudes dressed in black attacking a car>

A combat system that horribly staged? ACK! That's almost choreographed turn-based action. The windshield jumper dude takes way too much time to fumble out his gun after the photographer flash. And, if we can be serious for a minute here, if you never stop the car when a pedestrian comes through the windshield why the heck do they stop the car when the scary dude dressed in all black does. Unless you are a doctor driving EMTs around (and with a psychiatrist for good measure) you have to get the person to the hospital right away.

I meant more that I want to be able to drop kick through a window with my Cyberlegs...

You kind of read into what I was suggesting a bit further than I would have liked.

Top Bottom