The General Videogame Thread

+
So there I was, planning to buy Far Cry 4. 3 was fun so I thought, what the hell, I haven't played too many AAA titles this year anyway (not sure if I played even one, actually).

That was the case until.....UNTIL....the news came that to play a full game - meaning one including a COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER MODE - you have to *ka-ching* buy a goddamn SEASON PASS.

Ubisoft, my dear....

So there I was, planning to buy Far Cry 4. 3 was fun so I thought, what the hell, I haven't played too many AAA titles this year anyway (not sure if I played even one, actually).

That was the case until.....UNTIL....the news came that to play a full game - meaning one including a COMPETITIVE MULTIPLAYER MODE - you have to *ka-ching* buy a goddamn SEASON PASS.

Ubisoft, my dear....

And the sad thing is that there are enough people who will purchase it anyway. Gamers have very feeble customer discipline.

Gamers People have very feeble customer discipline.

There. Fixed that for you. It really feels like a lonely struggle, sometimes, to have some principles beyond "ooooh shiny!" when choosing what to buy to hopefully influence things a little positively. People unfortunately tend to hide in the crowd when it comes to taking responsibilities. They argue that a lot of people will buy it anyway, so it makes no difference whether or not they do to.

Also, that bread game: Seeing the Goat Simulator was developed made me smile a little, considering it a parody of all the simulators. Seeing it actually sell made me cringe. And this, now, is just sad.

Last edited:
Ooooh yeah, time to rip some spines off! Enjoying my time with Aliens vs Predator, I haven't played it for a while and I forgot how fun it was xD

View attachment 6744

But there are also times when my spine is at risk...

View attachment 6745

Attachments

• 10736440_621835174593022_1465226918_o.jpg
    10736440_621835174593022_1465226918_o.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Aliens-vs-Predator-Game-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg
    Aliens-vs-Predator-Game-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I've hit a pretty infuriating point with Destiny. Went a week and a half without playing and come back to: auto rifle nerf "2%" my ass, meanwhile everyone keeps saying it's OP, my class is about to get nerfed(but those warklocks huh?), raid changes with portal teleports, played a couple PvP matches and I guess it's that time of year to go camping too and lost all matches. Got thrown into one and my team had 1500 points vs 8800. Balance huh?

Fuck Bungie, they made their flaming piece of shit even shittier, how is that possible?!

/rant

forget W3 this is GOTY all years
Looks like a mix of Goat Simulator and that game where you've got to make a human tower with guys in too tight underpants... if that makes any sense.
Ooooh yeah, time to rip some spines off! Enjoying my time with Aliens vs Predator, I haven't played it for a while and I forgot how fun it was xD
I loved playing Infestation mode in that game. Had one of my most intense multiplayer game experiences ever in the pyramid level, with being the last marine alive and about 15 aliens on my back. I still like AvP2 better though. I hope that game comes on GOG some day.

Are there any drastic differences like different publisher for the second game or other licence quarrels with AvP2? Otherwise, AvP Classic recently showing up on GoG significantly increases the chance of that happening soon. :)

Are there any drastic differences like different publisher for the second game or other licence quarrels with AvP2? Otherwise, AvP Classic recently showing up on GoG significantly increases the chance of that happening soon. :)
Yeah, I saw. :) Both were published by Fox Interactive, but developed by different studious. Anyway, here's hoping.

I loved playing Infestation mode in that game. Had one of my most intense multiplayer game experiences ever in the pyramid level, with being the last marine alive and about 15 aliens on my back. I still like AvP2 better though. I hope that game comes on GOG some day.

My favorite modes are Species Team Deathmatch and Predator Hunt. Ooooh yeah I love Predator Hunt! It's an adrenaline boost xD
I've never got the chance to play AvP2, but I've heard that it's very very good. I did some research and I like the fact that there are Alien and Predator classes, that's an interesting feature. But sadly, I also read somewhere that the servers are shut down... If the game comes out on GOG, maybe the multiplayer can be revived a bit, kinda like how it happened with Neverwinter Nights, who knows...
And recently I've also got Predator: Concrete Jungle. Got past the movement and combat training and it looks promising.

So, I finally did start a new Crusader Kings 2 game, after a while of not playing it. Damn, that game is so addictive!

Started as King Sancho of Castille in 1066, as part of a crazy idea I´ve had for a long time now.
Here´s the thing: when the first major DLC for the game was released the devs held a contest in which I was one of the winners, so they included a character named after me in the game as a courtier in a Castillian county. So, what I´m planning to do now is that after I´ve established a proper powerbase for Castille, I´ll grant my character a Duchy and play a game as my very own dynasty!
But for now, I´ll continue playing as Sancho, and I´m currently trying to enforce my claim on my brother Alfonso´s Kingdom of León. If I´m successful, I´ll switch to my character and continue the game with my dynasty from then on! :victory:

That's pretty cool, @Geiderond I'll have to check that out.

I have an old Castille ironman game I need to finish. Took over Iberia and started on Africa.

How much would you pay for Civilization: Beyond Earth? There is a coupon at GMG for 20% off, applicable to that game's pre-order.

I am on the fence. I really want to play this game but also my policy is not to pay full price for DRM (aka rented) games.

How much would you pay for Civilization: Beyond Earth? There is a coupon at GMG for 20% off, applicable to that game's pre-order.

I am on the fence. I really want to play this game but also my policy is not to pay full price for DRM (aka rented) games.

My secondborn son, a post in my council, the title of Master of Hunt and a county on top!

Sorry, I think I confused something. :p

What would I pay? Obviously, the game isn't out yet, so it isn't proven to be good, so there's a risk involved in buying it anyway. Other than that.. well, it depends... if you're the type who is likely to sink hundreds of hours into a single strategy game. It doesn't really matter, does it? Compare it to a night out, to a movie, most other activities... with that many hours, it's still very cheap entertainment per hour. If you're not so certain how much you'll play.. well, maybe better wait until some extensive gameplay is available, user reviews etc. 20% off is not that much and might easily be available elsewhere within weeks of release, maybe even as the regular retail price vs digital price.

Have you played Civ 5? If so how much?

My opinion on it is that it's a premium paid mod.

If you haven't played Civ 5 then 20% sounds decent.

@aaden

A bit too much CK2? ;)
@aaden and @Csàszàr

Never played Civ but other similar games, yes. Therefore also not Civ V. For the amount of time I see myself playing it I suppose it is an OK price, but I'm not in any hurry and I guess I can wait. Cheaper is always better! Let's see if I do wait...

I played Civ V for a few hours, but the history nerd in me was crying out loud "That's not right, the Celts weren't in Africa!", "Why are the Austrians in Spain?", "Those Spearmen look too European for the Chinese!" It was like that constantly, so I just uninstalled it. I'm looking forward to Beyond Earth though. The factions are fictional, so there's no history to worry about! It could go any way, which is what I want. :)

Agreed Al. Also I love sci fi and the game inevitably makes me think of Ray Bradbury and Philip K Dick's martian colonization stage.

My second playthrough would begin like: during the many years of interstellar travel my cryogenic capsule malfunctioned barely enough for me to have vivid dreams of our future land. I saw the planes, the valleys and rivers. I met a kind native who educated me in the ways of this new planet. My dream was vivid and in it I grew old. Suddenly my capsule opens, we have arrived and I'm a young man yet again. As I descend from the ship I see the plains, valleys and rivers, and I am introduced to a kind native who educates me in the ways of this new planet...

Last edited:
I like the civ series, and i'll play the new alpha centauri eventually, but Outpost was a far superior attempt at a colonising game, even if it was flawed too. If I remember correctly its elements were advised by Nasa, so its technology felt very authentic, you even began the game on Earth, sent out a limited number of probes, picked a star (from an accurate starmap), chose the loadout for your colony ship, and launched... so even whether the planet was any good was a mystery until you arrived, it was a very good starting setup for a game.

Top Bottom