In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take a good dose of disbelief if guns are the primary ways to deal with conflict even in the very dark future.

After all, commerce must still happen. Cash must still change hands. Baring military action, even in 16th century Japan or the wild west, I'm pretty sure non-lethal H2h was the weapon of choice over more lethal means to settle differences.

But of course, video games are video games.

Well, we're talking -lethal- combat, thus the knife references. Words are still the most common way to settle differences, even in the Dark Future. In the Combat Zone, a place so dangerous even police rarely enter, things go lethal quite fast.

If you are angry and they are angry and you're both armed and on amphetamines and body parts are worth money and you can actually survive being shot several times because Trauma Team will pull you out and stabilize you and spending 4 minutes dead and then being resuscitated is totally doable....yeah.

Anyway, this is off topic, so if we keep talking about it, I'll move the posts. Unless you find some way to drag the horse back around to viewpoint.

I prefer a viewpoint that doesn't require me to rely on Trauma Team to put me back together after every fight.

I thought of any number of things to say re guarding the below links but decided they speak for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzcAgd-DtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WePffFY2KY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUeG8sf-AoM

Dammit... now all my suggested videos will be about sexy robots... on the other hand, all my suggested videos will be about sexy robots.

I was initially on the fence about having both a first person and third person view, but if it looks anything like this, than I'll be completely sold on having it in first person. Honestly, I wouldn't mind it just being a Cyperpunk-GTA RPG...

It doesn`t seem like much but first person for driving makes a huge difference. Also if you can mouse look, you can gauge the

E.g. just seeing the steering wheel in GTA IV.

I never liked driving games very much, because say, Gran Turismo 2 or need for speed seems not arcadey but unnatural, but I think with VR they have a good chance of making it very immersive.

Driving physics is one of the few things that can be termed realistic in video games (minus invincible cars) so i hope they get that right. With a clean, nice detailed interior, so detailed and fresh that we can almost smell the leather.
Far more immersive.

I like both so I'd say player choice.

Liked Deus Ex HR First Person with TPP animations, but also like The Witchers 3rd person.

3rd person is cool for customization of characters, while first person increases immersion. A mix of both or a choice would be ideal.

After seeing this

I suddenly have a lot more faith in first person.

Just feels much more personal than third person.

Last edited:
Even GTA is being turned into an FPS now? An urban Far Cry?

As much fun as that might or might not be (one thing's for sure, it doesn't look much like GTA that way), I do hope CP2077 won't be going quite that way where ever it is it is going.

Last edited:
After seeing this

It really does. This piqued my interest again.

As for not looking like GTA...the original was a top-down game, as I'm sure we all remember.

Still looks like GTA to me, just in first person.

I always found the gunfights in GTA to be a little "safe" and somewhat sterile. 1:07 into that video, not so sterile.

Even GTA is being turned into an FPS now? An urban Far Cry?

As much fun as that might or might not be (one thing's for sure, it doesn't look much like GTA that way), I do hope CP2077 won't be going quite that way where ever it is it is going.

Its more an optional first person mode for the upcoming Next-Gen and PC versions.

Last edited:
If this will run 60 FPS (yes, there is a clear difference in fluidity between 30 and 60 frames per second) and has FPP on top of many other improvements then it's worth taking a look. If this would be straight port with 30 FPS and no improvements over consoles then I wouldn't even bother.

After seeing this

wow thats looking way better than i thought, the key to this FPS is that it is optional, no one has to use it but why shouldnt we give it a try? I will give it a try

As for not looking like GTA...the original was a top-down game, as I'm sure we all remember.

Still looks like GTA to me, just in first person.

There's always a clear distincton in how gameplay is percieved when you move from 3rd person to 1st person. The first two were topdown, but they were still 3rd person and played like that, the later games moved the camera closer to the PC and allowed some more leeway in how to view it all, but when you move the camera to the PC's forehead it looks and feels much different (and it is supposed to).

I've grown a (n ever growing) dislike for first person perspective in games and more specifically in RPG's because rarely do they provide anything that would stand out from the mass of other games that are doing the exact same thing but are not trying to be RPG's. People look at the combat scenes in that GTA FPP video and say "wow that way too cool", but all I see is another shooter like all other shooters out there, and for GTA I think it's an unnecessary addition. You can do the same things in CoD, BF, Far Cry, Rage, Arma, Fallout 3 et cetera times a thousand, and nothing there seems to try to push things forward.

To strive off from the GTA topic, doing all that is fine for a game that emphasizes FPP action, but it is an ill fit for a game that tries to be an RPG. Not because that perspective can't work with RPG's, but because of what is (nowadays) expected from it by default. Pinpoint accuracy of the actions, because the personalized perspective gives the idea that the possible failure must be of the player's and not the characters and in doing so the characters abilities are undermined in favor of the players controls, which then undermines the R of the RPG. It is easier and more plausible to let the PC be what s/he is built to be for the shortcomings and strengths when you detach the player from him/her, the shotcomings are more acceptable to (most of ) the players because it is clearly visible that you the player are not doing the hard labor and don't "own" the possible failures.

Whether FPP or TPP, I prefer a more systemically heavyhanded approach to things in RPG's that provide the clear distinction between me and character. Even if there is the possibility to project a "me" into the character, there's the thing that I need to accept that the "me" there is not directly the "me" with keyboard and mouse. The character, whether roleplayed as "me" or not, is the window to his world and I am experiencing it according to him however I decide to build him and that should be apparent both in narrative and gameplay.

Last edited:
The GTA5 FPS footage made me reconsider my preference for 3rd person.

In a melee game 3rd person is great, partly because if the animations are good then it can be a joy to watch. Gunfights aren't that cool in contrast. The main reason at this point that I may want 3rd person view for CP77 is due to customization, but even that may not be a stronger reason for me than the immersion factor.

Seriously, GTA5 looks great like that. A different and better experience.

I'd love an option for both if it's done well. It's really a tough choice to make if you had to choose only 1. I'd love first person with full body awareness. Full body awareness is being able to see your chest, feet, etc when you look down. Like in Halo 2 or Dark messiah. Would give you the ability to see new gear you have equipped and that immersive first person view

First person or third person, as long as neither (both, or which ever is picked) are done at the expense or to the detriment of good RPG (not FPS, not TPS, but RPG) gameplay.

For once I'd like to see and play a game that actually plays to the strengths and intrigues of this genre (especially with all the talk about harkening to the PnP roots) across the board and doesn't cut corners in order to streamline the workings for audiences that are not inherently even interested in RPG's.

Last edited:
For once I'd like to see and play a game that actually plays to the strengths and intrigues of this genre (especially with all the talk about harkening to the PnP roots) across the board and doesn't cut corners in order to streamline the workings for audiences that are not inherently even interested in RPG's.

Yes. Same. And I'd like it if the Tooth Fairy could buy my copy for me.

Eventually we will have the game we have awaited since...Ultima? Bard's Tale?

EVENTUALLY. I hope.

Of course, then there's the matter of what an RPG is and what it's strengths are..but that would be another discussion.

Yes. Same. And I'd like it if the Tooth Fairy could buy my copy for me.

Eventually we will have the game we have awaited since...Ultima? Bard's Tale?

EVENTUALLY. I hope.

Of course, then there's the matter of what an RPG is and what it's strengths are..but that would be another discussion.

Surely you mean Santa Claus, there's not such thing as Tooth Fairy.

In any case.... The strengths are the flexibility to let the player try things out, provide varying degrees possibilities and outcomes, and building a character from ineptitude to aptitude at any chosen act (I don't think it's a coincidence that the character building and progression mechanics have been seeping into other genres, though understandable portrayed in less effective manner since they are not trying to provide an RPG experience) and how these things by interacting with each other create the whole. There's no need to (re)define the RPG when you have a readymade PnP game as your base, the only question should be how well can you emulate that; how to effectively portray ineptitude and the path to the eventual aptitude, how and to what degree to provide that flexibility and interaction of the elements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom