Favorite things about the Witcher Series

+
I understand your point, but allow me to disagree, as I have given this quite a lot of thought. Like I explained I first met Geralt as an amnesiac, I have since played both games numerous times, I know everything the RED's have said about him & his world. I also know quite a bit beyond that as an unavoidable consequence of reading & engaging here in the forums. I feel I know more than enough to approach TW3 and see how the RED's deliver these new characters that are so important to Geralt, yet have hardly been referenced in the game, a difficult task.

If they manage to introduce us (those with no prior knowledge of the characters you mention from the books) with the same skill that they introduced Geralt & friends to us before it will be an incredible accomplishment, and one I wish to experience with my slate as blank as possible. Only then will I be able to truly say what an epic game trilogy The Witcher is. And maybe that's the simplest point I can make to you, I wish it to remain a game trilogy for me until it is complete, not a book -> game translation.

I understand and respect your decision, everyone should enjoy this amazing series the way they want to :) I agree with you in that the games should be able to stand alone without the books, and that you'll be able to better judge the quality of the game's story (or admire the skills of the REDs) by seeing how well Witcher 3 introduces new characters from the books. CD Projekt has handled it really well so far with Geralt's amnesiac condition. It allows players to discover things about the Witcher along with Geralt himself.

I can also see how playing the games first could be a really interesting experience. One of the things I loved about the Witcher 1 when I first played it was how foreign/unique everything felt (this was before I had read the books). I can see how having too much backstory can take that feeling away.

Favorite thing for me is the grey quest choices/consequences.
And also NPCS walking around talking, telling awesome stories, like the one at Blue Stripes camp, about pigs eyes, between the buttocks..

CD Projekt has handled it really well so far with Geralt's amnesiac condition. It allows players to discover things about the Witcher along with Geralt himself.

They really did, I suspect some might dismiss it - casually, condescendingly - as a derivative hook but I know it not only made sense for the IP, but it then became a core part of the series. Sometimes the way to deal with a weakness is turn it into a strength, don;t know if this was deliberate or just fell together, but it works. More importantly, and I can only speak for my own experience, it added a layer of mystery that I think resulted in a stronger connection to the character, than an avatar I built myself, or had some backstory supplied for. I remember regularly going back to watch the TW1 intro, to fill my idea of what Witchers were instinctively, and this didn't take away from the amnesiac effect since it felt very much like "common knowledge".

Wanted to say btw, I have a lot of respect for Sapkowskis work too even though I've yet to read a full book, and I'm also hoping theres new English translations out when I go for it ;)

@knightofphoenix; pffft not that old soundbite again... dam politicians repeating themselves ;)

Characters and world with the "grey" choices/consequences, politics (for the first time I'm passionate about politcs :rofl:) and obviously the story! Also i found slavic folklore very fascinating and interesting...in short I like all aspects of books and games ahahah

Story- and character writing and choices that really matter. That's the three things which make the Witcher games outstanding in my opinion. I also love the dark and gritty world. If i had to choose one thing, it would be definitely the story. The Witcher 2 story is a masterpiece.

Story (of course) also storytelling and consequences you can t forsee when you make your decision.
You only recognize them later in the game... thats what is my favorite thing about the witcher series.

Don t forget the dark world setting / feeling that comes specially with TW1 art style ;)

The first things in my mind when i hear "the Witcher" are : Taverns, fist fights, dice, music, swords and sorceresses

“Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling…makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.”

No clear good / bad choice (most of the times it is rather lesser or greater evil), and impact of your choice is revealed so far away into the game that you will rather just suck it up and continue story with situation that you do not like than load previous save and make another choice.

"Think before you act" approach with real consequences.

All of that inside almost real world and perfect story that you can lose yourself in.

My all time favourite Witcher thing is one of the short stories from The Last Wish, "A Grain of Truth".
I started with the games as most english speakers have, but I love The Last Wish, the main Witcher series is a bit winded but I absolutely love the world, cannot wait for the translations of Sword of Destiny and Tower of Swallows.

There are many features of the book series for which I love it so much.
The complexity of the world. We have there many groups struggling for their good living or power, including simple villagers, merchants, sorceresses and kings...
The overall atmosphere with Slavic background. As I'm from the Czech republic, this is one of the most appealing aspects of the books for me.
And of course the characters. Often conflicted Geralt, easy going Dandelion, stubborn Yennefer, somewhat naive Triss etc. but many others who just got stuck in my head for years. The dwarves - Zoltan and Yarpen Zigrin, Emhyr var Emreis...

As for the games. I love the story and the music, especially from TW1. That soundtrack is truly a masterpiece in my opinion...

Top Bottom