Skyrim

+
Some ES fans would tell you the last real ES game was Morrowind ;D At least it's being reworked now as OpenMW.

Morrowind has always been sort of the rogue guar of the herd; the sequence Daggerfall - Oblivion - Skyrim is more the main stream.

Thanks for reminding me. I gotta try OpenMW.

Morrowind has always been sort of the rogue guar of the herd; the sequence Daggerfall - Oblivion - Skyrim is more the main stream.

Thanks for reminding me. I gotta try OpenMW.

Ohh! Same. When I find some time. Siigh. Hell, I still haven't played the addon for Skyrim, Dragonborn, and I've owned it for awhile.

I may have to clone myself soon.

OOOhh! TWo of me! You lucky people!

I'm late to the party. I've started playing Skyrim only recently, and it's been a 100+ hours mixed experience so far.

I really enjoy the vastness of the world. That moment when I finally exited the cave after Helgen was burned down had me giddy inside. There really was a feeling of: "here's a world, now go explore". And that mindless exploration really is fun. I also really enjoy the atmosphere. It's a gritty world with some pretty cool designs, and what cities\towns I did see, though small, were still awesome and each one felt different to some degree. I really like the design, and don't mind their size. Suspension of disbelief is required here. TW3 and Novigrad are the exception, not the rule, and it's an exception that arrives after over 3 years and 3 months.

The combat... is difficult to tackle. I play using Deadly Combat mod since I was told it makes enemies less of bullet-sponges. Playing on the highest difficulty with this mod means that many enemies one-shot kill my Thief, while I still need quite a few attacks to take them down. What I can say is that Legendary level really forces me to use everything in my arsenal. If before I just sold away potions and scrolls, now I actually feel a need to invest in alchemy, magic and scrolls. So that's a fun challenge. Overall though the combat feels a bit broken. Defense as an archer or a dual-wielding is also frustrating, consisting of running around.

Skyrim disappoints me with the NPCs and its quests. My impression is mostly of side-quests since I left the main storyline after visiting the Greybeards, and it's a negative one. I don't feel significant reaction to anything, from anyone. Ultimately it feels to me like an MMORPG, without other players to enjoy it with. I have a whole server to myself. I've read the phrase "make your own story" often throughout the web when discussing Skyrim. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. The only story I'm making up is in my imagination, because the game isn't reacting to much of what I do.

It's not a bad game. I have fun with it. The tricky thing for me to know is whether my negative impressions are amplified due to all the great, virtually flawless praise I commonly see Skyrim receive.

Skyrim disappoints me with the NPCs and its quests. My impression is mostly of side-quests since I left the main storyline after visiting the Greybeards, and it's a negative one. I don't feel significant reaction to anything, from anyone. Ultimately it feels to me like an MMORPG, without other players to enjoy it with. I have a whole server to myself. I've read the phrase "make your own story" often throughout the web when discussing Skyrim. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. The only story I'm making up is in my imagination, because the game isn't reacting to much of what I do.

It's not a bad game. I have fun with it. The tricky thing for me to know is whether my negative impressions are amplified due to all the great, virtually flawless praise I commonly see Skyrim receive.

even if you do bump up the difficulty it's still feels like all your deaths are cheap like it's based on luck and reflex and never on strategy.

the combat is pretty much just whack whack whack you don't even have to worry about other enemies in the area just pause the game and heal yourself. You don't have to fear any enemy as long as you have enough potions. This pausing inventory screens in games just has to go.

also 90% of the time you're going into a goddamn cave. It might as well be called cave simulator.

It baffles me how people can play this without mods and even with mods you just see if they work okay and then close the game.

It baffles me how people can play this without mods and even with mods you just see if they work okay and then close the game.
Emphasis on the word you.

What Unkindled was banned for saying, and hopefully in a more polite way: If it's not your kind of game, then it isn't. That doesn't make it a bad game. That sure as hell doesn't make it "not a game." It's a sandbox modern RPG and there's practically nothing like it, so comparing it to Witcher or Dark Souls falls flat. If you don't enjoy that kind of game, move on and play something else. For those of us who do enjoy it, the games only come around every 5 or 6 years, so pissing in our cornflakes about liking the game is ridiculous. Dark Souls isn't my kind of game, but I'm not lamenting it's being made or being popular or saying that it's the death of gaming. There's some room for variety.

Emphasis on the word you.

What Unkindled was banned for saying, and hopefully in a more polite way: If it's not your kind of game, then it isn't. That doesn't make it a bad game. That sure as hell doesn't make it "not a game." It's a sandbox modern RPG and there's practically nothing like it, so comparing it to Witcher or Dark Souls falls flat. If you don't enjoy that kind of game, move on and play something else. For those of us who do enjoy it, the games only come around every 5 or 6 years, so pissing in our cornflakes about liking the game is ridiculous. Dark Souls isn't my kind of game, but I'm not lamenting it's being made or being popular or saying that it's the death of gaming. There's some room for variety.

there wasn't even any mention of Dark Souls or Witcher in my post and I don't even need them. You mean to say I can't talk about or criticize a game I played!? at least I played this game so I can really say "this isn't my kind of game"

Although I do understand that Bethesda tried to do an entire continent which is practically impossible in open world so everything has to be compressed, they're still utterly lazy.

If people are allowed to say it's good then I should be allowed to say it's bad. I would welcome you say all the bad stuff about Dark Souls (if you played it) and I'd probably agree with most of the stuff you'd say and there would be dialog.

as for open world games that were done better I'd recommend Fallout New Vegas.

Here is classic example of why Skyrim can't really be saved even when very talented modders step up and make something absolutely first rate.

The authors of the 3DNPC mod (called interesting NPCs) made characters and stories far far better than Bethesda did. The 3DNPC was the only reason I even bothered trying with Skyrim. But it just doesn't fit into the game well enough.

Here is a typical example:

In Skyrim I come upon an interesting and very well written older female character and we chat for a while. Then she starts to walk and she is still talking. I follow and she eventually walks right into a pack of wild boars without noticing and is killed almost instantly without her even responding much.

Skyrim's reach far exceeded its grasp. It just doesn't work consistently enough to be fun. Glitches like these were all over the place and that and CTDs means you spend more time messing than playing.

Using Vurt's flyaround test and much trial and error, CTD were relatively rare, but this required removing some of the best mods. The glitches due to the fact that the game was thrown together by Bethesda and modders without cooperation NEVER went away.

I am very sad that the power of the gaming community couldn't have been harvested with Skyrim. The talent was there, the will was there. The flashes of genius were there ....... but the cooperation wasn't.

An RPG cannot be made piecemeal and then thrown together. Everything is connected. Even modders rarely cooperated.

The game Skyrim could have been with cooperation ! Everything was in place except a decent questing engine.

Sadly, cooperation is something we just don't do well.

@username_3361997 obviously the old woman was senile and wanted to die. jk.

Do the devs even correspond with the modding community? I remember one article saying how Bethesda wouldn't fix bugs if they were fun.

@ guipit: Criticism is fine, but around here it's always laced with butthurt about Skyrim being so popular despite it being the dregs, unplayable, etc. etc. and about the tastes of the people who like it.

Re modding community: Yes the devs interact with the modding community. About the only place on the Bethsoft forum visited by devs is the Creation Kit area. If you want to piss on a developer, Bethesda is not the one. They're ambitious, and responsive to fans, and they're pro-active about releasing free content and patches. They do have shenanigans with Xbox-exclusive DLCs but otherwise they're good guys with a development ethic a lot like CDPR.

Well the only hate is that skyrim is overrated
But at the same time is a hell of a good rpg

What I mean is that, if we could give this a 0/infinity rate (more like an IQ-as like rate), then skyrim quality is 1200 (above average which is 1000), but his popularity/love is 2400, or better, WAY more that what deserves.at the same time, there are really good rpgs (maybe not as skyrim, but still good) but not really popular, maybe because of fps fans + generic players both played skyrim and enjoyed, and has a false expectation and a false reality of rpgs, they never got used to absorb the game's story or gameplay, or something like that, and what happens is that they could have the potential to normally enjoy a normal rpg, but never got into starting to play one, then heard his friends talking about skyrim, played it, loved and now praise it as a god for no reasons, and his mind will cover with a divine mantle skyrim...
Results? Well, comments on youtube saying that skyrim is way better because has first person view, says the witcher isn't rpg because you can't create classes, bad because you don't have guilds (o please lord go understand the witcher lore), saying that the witcher world is too big (when the only rpg they played, skyrim, has a "potato landscape", everything compressed in a dumb way, making as effect unrealistic geography. omg when I first heard of this term I felt in love), ignoring facts about skyrim like TERRIBLE cities since they don't have base (game) to compare with, TERRIBLE story, but again, no comparison, reinforced now because of the ruined fps story (Cough cough CoD cough cough), Bad combat, which A LOT of people think is excellent because of the fps factor (first person view and retard NPC)
In resume, Skyrim is setting standards for modern rpgs in such a blindly way by unconsidering others features. What I mean is that, for someone who had the first trip on rpg boat with skyrim, now won't bother for the story, for decent character, for decent cities or a good non-first person combat. choice-consequence? They have no idea what the hell is this. They only care for 300 hours of game, hundreds of classes, being able to do everything and being everything, from the best thief or archmage to the master of blacksmith, even all of them in one character, they want a huge world, so 4 small areas like tw is definitely no. Oh, and for their CoD blood, they don't care if all the dungeons are the same

Well, CoD is making people not enjoying bioshock for not having multiplayer, makes people care for multiplayer and killstreaks in an unrealistic balance between knife and rocket launcher, they want to press all buttons so when they get 6 kills they send an helicopter to kill 3 and pisses them. Good story as bioshock?gameplay too strange. Rpg-thing of deus ex? Too futuristic, it doesn't have gameplay and it sucks because my tomahawk that doesn't can't explode houses. And then what next? CoD kids won't try decent fps because CoD alienated them
And skyrim, even being a much better game ( a muuuuuuuuch better game), is having the same role of CoD in game industry. And that's why people hate it. Come on. Admit it. You love the game. You don't like all the undeserved praise skyrim has, because it's too much and is affecting rpg game industry more in a negative way than in a good one

I hate to break it to you, but although I consider Call of Duty to be the basest kind of prolefeed BioShock is vastly overrated. It's pretentious and tries too hard to be artsy. The shooting is TERRIBLE too and Infinite in particular is guilty of dumbing down the System Shock 2 formula. Please not that I do not use "dumbing down" lightly

I suppose my biggest disappointment is that the world of TES remains largely untapped, it has so much potential but the scope of it prevents the developers from making everything at the quality it deserves, What Skyrim and TES in general do best is the sense of exploration. If you see an object, you will likely be able to interact with it, littered tomes are full of history and interesting insights about Tamriel, interesting and weird cultures like the Dunmer. There is a lot to love about Skyrim but if the story is what you intend to criticize, then you are doing it wrong. It is so different from a more linear experience like TW2.

Also. PARAGRAPHS! USE THEM!

Last edited:
I love Skyrim. It's what got me into actual gaming so without it I would have never tried playing the Witcher or Dragon Age.

It has a few faults, but none of the problems with it that annoy me now annoyed me on my first playthrough. On my first playthrough it felt utterly magical and exploring the world was so exciting. It was only after I played Skyrim over 2 or more times that I started finding problems with it.

I'm just happy to be alive during a time when we have such great video games. I am going to be immensely excited when the next Elder Scrolls game comes out because Bethesda is going to have to create something mindblowing to beat Skyrim. I wonder if they can do it....

edit: also, if you could all pick ONE thing only to be added into the next Elder Scrolls game, what would you pick?

edit: also, if you could all pick ONE thing only to be added into the next Elder Scrolls game, what would you pick?
Better writing.

I love exploring their worlds but I wish they'd bump up their writing quality (characters and story).

@Cormacolindor
It sounds good on paper but I'm worried about the impact it would have on the modding aspect and in the game overall (they're already struggling with providing a polished engine with each game that comes out).

No wonder they are struggling with the engine. They've been modifying it since TES3. They should just ditch it and make the next one on UE4.

Multiplayer. Now I know what a failboat TES:O was but a 4 player COOP in TES would be wonderful I think.

Personally I'm not fussed about multiplayer - I generally enjoy my fantasy games alone - but my flatmate has a TES:O subscription and he says it's a lot better now than it was when it was first released. Not good enough for me to consider paying for it but it does admittedly look all right.

Am I the only one who Liked oblivion better than Skyrim? The writing was better and it felt more like an RPG .

@Thaler The Fence
No, you're not...Better writing and much better quests-especially guild ones...And diversified cities-in Skyrim they all look the same...
But, maybe I'm mistakin'...Was younger back than, now I am old and demanding gamer :dry:

Top Bottom