Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
No DARK dark nights?
Than Reds a missing the Red glow eyes of wolves hunting Geralt somwhere in no man's land, pitty

Good lord there is so much crying on the internet these days! You play as a Witcher! Don't you know they can see in the dark? Of course they won't see night as we do. And by the way, who stayed out in a forest without any light source for more than 45 minutes? Make the test, you be impressed with how good you can actually see in the dark.

Good lord there is so much crying on the internet these days! You play as a Witcher! Don't you know they can see in the dark? Of course they won't see night as we do. And by the way, who stayed out in a forest without any light source for more than 45 minutes? Make the test, you be impressed with how good you can actually see in the dark.

So when I dislike something it is crying. Nice logic. Just say you disagree if you disagree. I understand your points but the darker nights bring really awesome immersion into to the game. Just my opinion. I criticise things because I want to make them better. Not without reason.

We don't know how immersive the nights are now. And I doubt you can say: the darker the night the more immersive it will be. And I don't want to run around half the game while drunk on cat potion, and hunt for it's ingredients. (Unless it auto-refills.)

Last edited:
Nice, combat looks improved, I'm just worried if to toggle characters will be ok, because some games are a real mess to choose the right character, the hardest thing in combat is balance fluidity with control (with two meanings:toggle characters and autonomy to control the character, not the case of assassin's creed for example) and I hope they did well
Well this worries are about combat

Because, for example,the hair still didn't got wet

Nice, combat looks improved, I'm just worried if to toggle characters will be ok, because some games are a real mess to choose the right character, the hardest thing in combat is balance fluidity with control (with two meanings:toggle characters and autonomy to control the character, not the case of assassin's creed for example) and I hope they did well
Well this worries are about combat

Because, for example,the hair still didn't got wet

Isn't it still an old build? I think Only difficulty was increased, everything else stayed the same

Well, it's not crying, just a river of tears,
If the darkest night looks like a battle with werewolf from last vid (green and bright)

Isn't it still an old build? I think Only difficulty was increased, everything else stayed the same

I don't think difficulty was adjusted even. Rather the player wasn't so aggressively successful, and a bit rasher. The Werewolf fight was nearly over (for Geralt) before the player used the silver bomb, and we saw several regeneration cycles and several summoned wolves.

Certainly all other aids were still in place. Looked to be identical to the E3 build apart from how the player was taking more risks. (with the satisfaction from actually completing a fight without major harm, the more circumspect approach is dull to watch... but it is fine when actually playing, hands on).

@korov @broccolisoup

In one of the books, Geralt kills a mouse by throwing a knife at it in the dark, without being under the effect of any potion. The guy sees in the dark period.
Now, I also understand that a dark night really gives you a nice feeling of danger.

Unfortunately, we can't have both, for it wouldn't make sense.

OR, maybe we can!
In order to display the darkness of the night, and still maintain witchers witchers, the developers could use something I call...

- Dynamic Pupil Contraction -

Effect that simulates in real time the contraction of Geralt's pupils, that is the amount of light that enters his eyes.

Ex: When Geralt is in a dark forest and lights a bonfire, while he is looking at the fire the forest around him should be very dark, because his pupil would be very thin, then when he turns his back to the fire he starts slowly and gradually seeing the night brighter.

Ex: When Geralt uses Igni sign in the dark, he should see slightly quickly darker, because a light source interfered with his pupil's state.

Ex: When Geralt is in a bright room then he leaves to a dark area you would at first see everything very very dark, like we see it, and then slowly and gradually the dark becomes brighter.

I believe that this effect happening dynamically and smoothly, will be able to delivery both, the feeling that you are in a very dark and dangerous place, and the feeling that you are a badass witcher.
I know this effect is present already, but what I propose here is enhancing it by adding it at some other occasions and adjusting its time and intensity.
We shouldn't also forget that full Moon nights are very bright.

Last edited:

Effect that simulates in real time the contraction of Geralt's pupils, that is the amount of light that enters his eyes.

Ex:
When Geralt is in a bright room then he leaves to a dark area you would at first see everything very very dark, like we see it, and then gradually the dark becomes brighter.

Ex:
When you are in a dark forest and light a bonfire, while Geralt is looking at the fire the forest around him should be very dark, because his pupil would be very thin, then when he turns his back to the fire he starts gradually seeing the night brighter.

I believe that this effect happening dynamically and smoothly, will be able to delivery both, the feeling that you are in a very dark and dangerous place, and the feeling that you are a badass witcher.
Is this from an article or just your idea? Metal Gear Solid 3 does this in the cave section. You can see this happening a bit when geralt exits the tavern too. Short video of it here

[video]http://a.pomf.se/gsjydh.webm[/video]

@korov @broccolisoup

In one of the books, Geralt kills a mouse by throwing a knife at it in the dark, without being under the effect of any potion. The guy sees in the dark period.
Now, I also understand that a dark night really gives you a nice feeling of danger.

Unfortunately, we can't have both, for it wouldn't make sense.

OR, maybe we can!
In order to display the darkness of the night, and still maintain witchers witchers, the developers could use something I call...

Ex: When Geralt is in a dark forest and lights a bonfire, while he is looking at the fire the forest around him should be very dark, because his pupil would be very thin, then when he turns his back to the fire he starts slowly and gradually seeing the night brighter.

Ex: When Geralt uses Igni sign in the dark, he should see slightly quickly darker, because a light source interfered with his pupil's state.

Ex: When Geralt is in a bright room then he leaves to a dark area you would at first see everything very very dark, like we see it, and then slowly and gradually the dark becomes brighter.

I know this effect is present already, but what I propose here is enhancing it by adding it at some other occasions and adjusting its time and intensity.

its already been invented and used in many games its called dynamic tone mapping. :cheers:

skip to 3:59 in this video.

sorry, I didn't see that you already knew about this.

Last edited:
@eunoia_evanescent
I know. I fist saw it in Resident Evil 5, I guess. That's why I said,
"I know this effect is present already, but what I propose here is enhancing it by adding it at some other occasions and adjusting its time and intensity."

It's adjusted to normal human eyes, Geralt is not normal human. It just needs some tunnig.

Last edited:
Is this from an article or just your idea? Metal Gear Solid 3 does this in the cave section. You can see this happening a bit when geralt exits the tavern too. Short video of it here

[video]http://a.pomf.se/gsjydh.webm[/video]
I really hope they do something about the opening door animation.

I don't really find that piece of music irritating, I like it. But I usually like music with some beautiful vocals in them.
Glad to see Geralt still stabs at the monsters weak points, instead of being a brute all the time.

Yeah, I have no idea why people think it's annoying. Ladies of the Woods was one of my favorite tracks. Sometime I just watch the video again just for that music, especially near the end with Ciri. Just awesome cliffhanger music.

About the footages. Luckily, most of the demos are in Xbox1 so the PC version will be much better with fur tech, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom