Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
When you use humor and irony with bigots it only makes them "bigoter".
It's fun for the speaker, pleasant for the people who already share his views, but it's unproductive on the large scale.
Agreed. Humor, jokes, irony, they're something best left aside when in such a heated argument. Emotions are too intense to take jabs light-heartedly and people are more likely to misunderstand them, or alternatively, you can disguise things as jokes to backpedal without admitting you were simply an asshole. Like with the "bring back bullying" fiasco.

I'm really enjoying Pakman's interviews. Eloquent, calm and he tries to challenge those interviewed instead of just bobbing his head. I also suspect that TB's popularity grew substantially in the past couple of months. And I'm happy it did. He's credible, has a lot of common sense and I like some of his core views surrounding games regarding the rating system (and the need to abolish it) as well as his stance on pre-orders, DLCs and other shady practices.

Serves her right for defending a bunch of misogynerds, amirite?

Fucking doublestandards, it's infuriating. Kinda like when Sarkeesian said the "controls are too difficult for women" (which is a load of crap and downright disrespectful to female gamers) when talking about Mirror's Edge. If a dude said that he'd get crucified.

EDIT
Apparently the Anonymous thing was legit: https://twitter.com/anonycast/status/527903070559428609

Last edited:
@HellKnightX88 hahahahaha

Take this with a grain of salt, the guy could be making this shit up but:
I was at the Colbert taping last night, and believe me, they cut a lot out. He was pretty hard on her, and when i said "good job out there" to her after the show, she didn't look happy. At one point Colbert asked if she thought that video games cause violence, she gladly said "no i don't believe they cause violence" and then he asked "then how do they cause misogamy?". (paraphrasing)

Source: https://archive.today/08OxE

It is kinda funny Colbert unintentionally pwned her with his alter ago. She didn't look ready for it.

He tends to do that a lot, lol. It's good satire. I dunno what to think on it though. Still a bit mad, but good came out of it after all. Glad to see his audience isn't as stupid as the one on tv. Stephen didn't really give her a chance to get rolling, so all she could say was the main bullet points, and that alone made it more obvious how full of shit she was.

Still, if there was cut stuff, I wish they'd have shown it. And he still pandered to her followers.

Last edited:
That comic is disgusting. How anyone can find it funny is beyond me.

It's mocking the misdirection tactic and victim mindset SJWs have been using. Not meant to be taken literally.

Just read the FB response to the Colbert's segment. Man, Anita is getting torched. Going mainstream with her ideas might not fly after all.

Last edited:
Wait what? You mean the one where it says "Stop raping me?" It's not literal. That's how SJWs tend to respond when you challenge their steaming pile of Marxist Feminist bullshit.

I've never experienced that. Most feminists are not like that strawman feminist in the comic.
Also, how is listing women from video games meant to prove that there are plenty of ~strong female characters~ ? The list they gave is minuscule compared to the amount of games in history, not to mention that one of the examples they gave, is a wolf. Perhaps a female wolf but a wolf all the same. Not really what I'd consider female representation... AND if we're talking about the examples they gave, a lot of those women wear those idiotic armour bikinis, so even if they're strong they're still objectified. That's not what we want. It's not respectful in any shape or form.

As a gamer who is also feminist I have a lot of feminist friends who game and we're nothing like the woman in that comic. We just want well-written female characters that are respected as something more than just a pair of tits. Women like the ones in Dragon Age, Skyrim or the Witcher are the ones I want. Literally just female characters that have personality and aren't just there to be ogled at. But apparently women wanting fair representation of themselves in gaming means we're nasty bitches claiming everyone is raping us. Ok.

It's mocking the misdirection tactic and victim mindset SJWs have been using. Not meant to be taken literally.

Ohhhh yeah okay it's a joke.
that makes it okay then. Yep. Jokes about rape are totally cool. Kind of like when men send rape threats to female gamers over twitter but it's just a joke. Haha. So funny.

I'd not put Dragon Age characters in a list of strong women, they're usually idiots who come and go slavishly at the protagonists say so for years at a time, and are not even able to dress themselves appropriately for the weather or the combat that occurs every ten feet. The fact that they are incompetent at their jobs, abandon them on a whim at the protagonists command, cannot achieve anything without help (even courting) and are all "fixable" by the protagonists tongue, fingers or dick makes them to me insulting caricatures.

The fact that they can only spew pathetic childish one liners and sub par Joss Whedon humour merely adds to that, nothing in the world as irritating as vacuous, cutesy morons.

Edit: I agree about the women of the Witcher however, self motivated, clever, needing no man and actually outwitting a great many all while pursuing noble goals.

Last edited:
@Princess_Ciri, I can't speak for women, but as someone who is multi racial, the last thing I care about is quantity of minorities in games. I care only about quality. As long as quality minority characters exist, I really don't care that throughout history of gaming, they're vastly outnumbered by white characters. Why does that matter?

As for respectful and objectification, male characters are objectified as well, just in a different manner. Because what is considered sexy for a man and for a woman isn't the same. Sexy is all about objectification. You can't be sexy without a bit of objectification. And sexy is entertaining. That's the point of games. Fun and entertainment. Though I personally agree, I wouldn't have selected a lot of those characters, because I personally picture a strong woman as being at least mostly clothed. Fem shep, Clementine, Serana, Legate Rikke, the sorceresses of Witcher, these are characters I would have listed, though Fem shep is there.

As for your last point, I said feminist marxists. Radical feminists. If you're not the type to say all men are capable of rape and violence towards women, then you're not who we're talking about.

Also, we're not joking about rape. We're joking about these ridiculous things that radical feminists say.

I'd not put Dragon Age characters in a list of strong women, they're usually idiots who come and go slavishly at the protagonists say so for years at a time, and are not even able to dress themselves appropriately for the weather or the combat that occurs every ten feet. The fact that they are incompetent at their jobs, abandon them on a whim at the protagonists command, cannot achieve anything without help (even courting) and are all "fixable" by the protagonists tongue, fingers or dick makes them to me insulting caricatures.

The fact that they can only spew pathetic childish one liners and sub par Joss Whedon humour merely adds to that, nothing in the world as irritating as vacuous, cutesy morons.

I disagree. I found the majority of them to be well-written 3d characters.

@Princess_Ciri, I can't speak for women, but as someone who is multi racial, the last thing I care about is quantity of minorities in games. I care only about quality. As long as quality minority characters exist, I really don't care that throughout history of gaming, they're vastly outnumbered by white characters. Why does that matter?

As for respectful and objectification, male characters are objectified as well, just in a different manner. Because what is considered sexy for a man and for a woman isn't the same. Sexy is all about objectification. You can't be sexy without a bit of objectification. And sexy is entertaining. That's the point of games. Fun and entertainment. Though I personally agree, I wouldn't have selected a lot of those characters, because I personally picture a strong woman as being at least mostly clothed. Fem shep, Clementine, Serana, Legate Rikke, the sorceresses of Witcher, these are characters I would have listed, though Fem shep is there.

As for your last point, I said feminist marxists. Radical feminists. If you're not the type to say all men are capable of rape and violence towards women, then you're not who we're talking about.

Also, we're not joking about rape. We're joking about these ridiculous things that radical feminists say.

Hmm. I think just because you aren't bothered about the representation of minorities doesn't mean other people aren't. I'm white so if minorities aren't represented I guess it doesn't affect me, but I have friends who really want to see their races represented in the video games they play, and I want them to be happy and enjoy the games more, so I'd definitely be happier with more minorities in games.

I see. Well indeed I'm not a radical feminist BUT i don't think that most people who view that game make the separation. When I saw that comic posted on reddit, all of them comments were just attacking feminists in general, which isn't fair.

Ahhhh i'm really sorry about the double post I made a mistake plz don't smite me mods

You disagree with the facts I presented? Just play DA2, they come and go at the protagonists say so for years at a time, putting their lives on the line for no reason and no pay, christ that retard Isabella can't even wear appropriate clothing, and she comes from a much warmer part of the world. Aveline everybody says is strong yet obeys like a whipped dog, cannot even go dating without help and Berkwall gets more bandits under her watch. Pathetic.

Top Bottom