Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Let's just for a second take that claim seriously - certain games are misogynistic.

...so what? It's an artistic medium like any other, those claims means nothing, there is no reason that misogynistic/racist/whatever art is a "problem". "Birth of a Nation" is an extremely racist movie and yet it has tons of merit as a movie and an artistic work despite it's tones.

If one doesn't like it that's fine, that's not a reason for said work not to exist.

Good point. LOL, I've never seen it but I've heard a lot about it, and anyone with common sense and good moral sense will know better than to view the KKK as heroic. Why can't people do what I did and simply not watch the film if they don't want to? Plenty of other movies out there for me to watch since I have no interest in watching despite the merits people say it has.

And the more crazy ones, I think they see it as some plot against women, lol. Like they think gamers are up at night singing this about their vidya:

I'm starting to wonder if people who say movies and games make them a certain way are suffering from some Freudian self reflection. All that weird stuff he said about people liking their moms as kids. Maybe they think like this and blame it on gaming because they're screwed up in the head. Like that guy saying we all wanted to fuck Anita. Umm.... no. I think that's your deal, guy.

But it makes you misogynistic! The same way violent games make you vi-ohwait!
Saw a related picture today

^That is fucking perfect.

Sid brings up great points: the right of art to offend, and the rights of offensive people to create art. I take a rather strong stance that both are allowable. SJWs condemn both, often conflating content with artistic intent.

And that's of course at a worst case scenario, if gaming even was misogynistic in the first damn place. A big if. No room at all to stand on. If we start excluding art for being offensive, it could go further. Next thing you know, no character, good or bad can be racist, sexist, violent or anything in between. Anita showed a clip of that douche dragon age character that no one likes in the alienage. If she had her way, there wouldn't even be dark characters. How the hell does that work exactly?

I wonder - why didn't Ms. Sarkeesian use the 160k+ she made off Kicktarter to...I don't know...conduct a proper, psychological study of how "mysoginist" games affect people and their views on women? Let people play some of the games she so condemns, run some tests. It's not that hard really.

Wait, I think I know why.

It gets better, he asked Zoe the same thing: https://twitter.com/davidpakmanshow/status/528284115142213633
And she did the same thing!

Just read that feed and experience her army of white knights defending her. Isn't that, you know, misogyny and objectifiaction of women - treating them like they can't defend themselves?

Last edited:
Who's Stephen Totilo again?

And yea, I've said it before in the Gamergate forums and here as well that they aren't going to let themselves be challenged so long as they can get what they want just by spouting propaganda. Don't know about this other guy, but Anita already has popularity and cash from her kickstarter and appearing all over the place.

Brianna Wu's not playing it smart like her and the others though. She's the only one who's hurting for relevance, and she still has a lame game to try and keep above water.

I wonder - why didn't Ms. Sarkeesian use the 160k+ she made off Kicktarter to...I don't know...conduct a proper, psychological study of how "mysoginist" games affect people and their views on women? Let people play some of the games she so condemns, run some tests. It's not that hard really.

Wait, I think I know why.
Making youtube videos is expensive! You need at least, like, 100 grand to even be motivated enough to troll. I mean, I would if that was my whole profession.

So Pakman invited Stephen Totilo to an interview and he refused: https://twitter.com/davidpakmanshow/status/528225252191768576
That speaks volumes IMO!

It gets better, he asked Zoe the same thing: https://twitter.com/davidpakmanshow/status/528284115142213633
And she did the same thing!

This is why we can't have nice things, this is why we can't just sit down and talk about this shit. Because apparently doing what a real journalist is supposed to do is harassment.

Way to step up to the plate, Stephen. Pakman won't give them the kid glove treatment, so of course they won't accept.

I think 99% of gaming news sites are redundant. I use 1 gaming news site and all it does is release press releases. No opinion pieces of reviews I don't care about. Just officially put out news and screenshots and videos. I don't see the need for a million others doing the same thing or that do the same thing and make you sift through reviews, articles written about rumors, and opinion pieces to get to the official stuff.

Do I think there's corruption? Yeah, I do. A lot of these people act like they are in high school and insult their readers. It's no surprise to me that they take bribes or what have you.

As for the sexism and other agenda pushing. I just don't get it. Let's take a look at metal gear solid 5. Quiet wears a bikini and apparently that's sexist. Nevermind the fact that she is one of the most powerful characters in the series so far. It's sexist for her to be wearing a bikini and that's all there is to it apparently. It's that cut and dry in their minds it seems like to me. At the same time though they're not offended over the fact that there are child soldier's in the game. They ignore the fact that Snake can wear outfits with just as much skin showing as Quiet has showing.

Social Justice Warriors really bother me for another reason. They're very pro-censorship. Anything that offends or "triggers" them must be removed or changed or you'll get your game labeled as sexist and racist. Even if your game is trying to take place in real world history. Let's look at Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This game is trying to be a realistic portrayal of 15th century Czech Republic. The game got attacked for not having black/asian/etc people in it. They attacked the team and game calling them racists for trying to be true to who actually lived in the region at the time. Thankfully their vision wasn't ruined and the team ignored them. That's how absurd of a point it is getting to though. I hope the SJW thing just goes away one day like the "Video games cause violence" crowd did. It's just another big censorship thing like the "Video games cause violence" thing was.

@Unkindled Well, at least some signs of reason.... I wouldn't be too optimistic about it though.

Also sorry for posting something that I thought should be posted, and sorry if I insulted someone by this, bye.

Lol my bad for tagging you, I had multiple windows up and got posts mixed up. Not that it matters too much, anyone can of course respond. But anyway, I wouldn't call it reason. Just Zoe putting her dog in check. Gettin jelly. Gotta say that's some of the most pathetic shit you can come across.

Also, that thing you posted. I assume you edited it already? What was it?

Top Bottom