Monsters in The Witcher 3

+
I think Noonwraith sounds cool. The other version... doesn't. Noonwraith evokes drama, mystery and an emotion that Poludnica fails to.

As a Russian speaker myself, I have to agree with eliharel. Poludnica (Полуденица) just doesn't sound as good or cool as Noonwraith. Also, coolness aside, Noonwraith is a descriptive name, while Poludnica much less so.

Wood spirit suggests Dryad... while Leshen is a completely different 'thing'.

Forest Spirit maybe, if you allow the word to encompass all within a forest, but yeah Wood Spirit definitely evokes Dryads in their traditional role of a Tree Spirit.

My opinion on the wider issue of naming would be that I welcome using authentic names from Witcherworlds diverse cultures, I would expect some clarification on the issue in a log or ingame book, as I'm all for expanding my vocabulary. That said the other side of the argument here can't be ignored, the REDs do a great job revitalising these mythological creatures, but it's not always the look, feel & situation that provides some prior recognition value to us, sometimes its the name that evokes the response in us (since many of us have never actually met any of these things in person). Making the names authentic but generally unknown might reduce the effectiveness of what they are trying to achieve. They use mythological creatures for good reason.

But this is the REDs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if theres a named Noonwraith called Poludnica ;)

If the developers would use «slavic names» in the english version of the game, eliharel, shawn_kh and other English speaking gamers would not buy it. That'smarketing!

I'd buy it still... but some names would jar, and the overall effect might be *less* than having a careful mixture of both.

If the developers would use «slavic names» in the english version of the game, eliharel, shawn_kh and other English speaking gamers would not buy it. That'smarketing!
Not only that, I'll take to the torch and burn down every copy I come across.

I actually wouldn't mind if the names were Slavic in the english version. It simply does not make a difference to me personally, and I'd still buy and enjoy the games. I would not buy if there was no english version, and the whole game was in Polish. Not because I hate polish or Slavic culture, but because I don't understand the language. as far as Werewolf or Volkodlak goes, I don't care. I really don't need to understand the names to get the story, that's why I don't mind.
And to be honest I don't play games to get history and culture lessons, I play games to enjoy my spare time.

Ehm... that effect of unfamiliarity with a name is something you get accustomed to if you like fantasy. I really don't think it would have been that different or that it would have had a negative impact.

It does not matter that the monsters get their Slavic names when the game is released in Slavic countries. What matters is that the English language version should get them, which, I stress, is the only way to keep the authenticity of the setting.
Indeed, through Western media, Western culture has already taken root in such quintessentially Slavic countries as Poland, Russia, Czech, Ukraine et al., where the younger generation is fully aware of such customs as celebrating Halloween, or the Western concepts of werewolves, witches and hags. It is perhaps only fair then that people unfamiliar with Slavic culture should have a chance to learn about Slavic creatures and what they are called in their homeland.

Which is to stress, how could Western gamers possibly do that if none of the monsters' names are Slavic? I propose that, for educational purposes, their Slavic names are used, especially considering that along with mythology of Western Europe the author was drawing on Slavic mythology to create the setting.

The book had its specific kind of Slavic flavour but the game is going to lose a part of it if the monsters' names are distorted due to English translation.

For instance, in The Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing creatures with generic Slavic names (Domovoi, Vrikolak, Lesovik, Rusalka, Vila...) fit right in. Why can't you do the same in the major project?

Most likely the translators try and pick the most evocative name for the creatures thus we end up with a mixture of slavic and english.
Also regarding continuity it would be strange to suddenly rename werewolf to Volkodlak and noonwraith to południca in the third game.
though being from Sweden i can very much understand why people do not want their culture to be foreignized/Americanized or whatever i should call it.

Last edited:
(Google Translator) ;)
Why Volkodlak ?. Actually, in the Polish language is a wilkołak. T​here are differents even in Slavic languages .

Yeah, I am aware that the werewolf's Polish name is "wilkołak", but that is not the point. The difference between Slavic names is minimal (russian "volkodlak", serbian "vukodlak") and I will be okay with any Slavic monsters' names. If the game is made in Poland, let them be Polish.

Werewolf is a popular monster in pop culture. I do not understand why the name of non-Slavic monster should have a Slavic name in the English version of the game?

But werewolf is not a non-Slavic monster. Moreover, the Slavs have their own beliefs, associated with werewolves.

The word "leshen" is so inaccurate transcription. In Polish it is "leszy". Adjective form.

Note that it is an adjectival form of "leshy" in the Russian language as well. Although the official English name is exactly "leshen", that is not my translation.

First of all, there is no Slavic monsters in Sapkowski's Witcher saga. A monster named "diabol" is "silvan" indeed.

What about kikimora, drowner, noonwraith and koshchey? For that matter, virtually every monster has its analog in the mythology of Western Europe. The thing is, the game developers are Polish, the author of the book is Polish, so why not take the chance to popularize the Slavic folklore? I want the foreigners to become acquainted with our common Slavic mythology.
For instance, in the game a poludnica is called a noonwraith. A western player might have a hard time trying to found out more about the monster's origin, its mythological prototype.

Last edited:
For instance, in the game a poludnica is called a noonwraith. A western player might have a hard time trying to found out more about the monster's origin, its mythological prototype.

I thought for a second this was a good argument, then I googled Noonwraith. ;)

I made the point last time... something instantly recognisable, a known name, or an understandable phrase in each players chosen language is another way for the elements in the gameworld to affect the player. Making them unfamiliar may well educate - and some posters have fairly pointed out they don't play games to be educated - but it's doubtful it'll add to the gaming side of it, more likely to subtract from a monsters overall impact.

And you'd have to alt&tab to google it ;)

What about kikimora, drowner, noonwraith and koshchey? For that matter, virtually every monster has its analog in the mythology of Western Europe. The thing is, the game developers are Polish, the author of the book is Polish, so why not take the chance to popularize the Slavic folklore? I want the foreigners to become acquainted with our common Slavic mythology.
The Witcher books are not Slavic mythology, but instead they are heavily influenced by Slavic mythology. It is important to note that Sapkowski was inspired by other mythologies as well, although Slavic remains the most influential nonetheless.
For example there is a legendary white haired monster hunter and warrior in ancient Persian mythology called Zal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zal. Zal's story is part of the Shahnameh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahnameh, which is a collection of Persian mythology written by Ferdowsi more than 1000 years ago. Zal and Geralt share some notable characteristics such as the iconic white hair and monster hunting. Simurgh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_(mythology) is an ancient monster in the Persian mythology, and its name was abbreviated to Roc by Louis Charles Casartelli. Roc http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Roc is also present in the Witcher universe, and the abbreviated version of the name is used and not the original Persian name. The Griffin present in the Witcher originated from the Persian mythology as well, and it is called Huma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huma_bird in Persian. Yet we all know it as the Griffin. Griffin is also present in Greek and Egyptian art and lore, but it is known by different names in those cultures.
So it is a common practice to translate or abbreviate monsters' names across different cultures.
I personally love Slavic, Persian, Greek, and Egyptian mythologies, and I also enjoy ancient beliefs and stories of the Aztecs and Mayans. But I believe it is wrong to try to shove cultural material down players' throats if they are not interested, because it is going to have adverse effects. If they are interested, then they'll do research and learn about it themselves. There are better resources than a video-game for that.
I get your enthusiasm though, because I am a HUGE mythology fan myself :)

Last edited:
What about kikimora, drowner, noonwraith and koshchey? For that matter, virtually every monster has its analog in the mythology of Western Europe. The thing is, the game developers are Polish, the author of the book is Polish, so why not take the chance to popularize the Slavic folklore? I want the foreigners to become acquainted with our common Slavic mythology..
The Witcher saga isn't about slavic mythology though.More then half of the creatures mentioned in the books are from different mythologies namely greek (harpies,mermaids,sirens etc),geto-dacian(striga and other vampires),scandinavian(everything on Skellige)germanic etc.

I tell you what, if its mod-inable, I'd certainly play it eventually with authentic names for all the beasties, just not first time round.

is authentic even the right word for such a mod?

Personally I don't care what they call the damn things*.The only thing I want from them is to make the besties "believable" and true to the source material.

*[sub]Excluding the Foglet of course.[/sub]

I wonder if devourers will be featured in TW3. I think it's the one of most interesting monsters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom