Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
That would be Cole. Here's his decription (I'm not making this up btw, this is from BW's writers):
“He is a ghost in the shadows, walking unnoticed through crowds. He can slit an enemy's throat before they even realize he's there, and slip away, never to be seen again. Those few who do notice him soon forget he ever existed… and Cole isn't certain that he does exist.”

That's tumblr-level edgelord writing. And it's not an isolated case from what we've seen so far. This is why I'm very skeptical about DAI.
It's a re-telling of Cole's story from the novel Asunder, basically. I agree it sounds melodramatic but it's accurate to his back story. He's a kind of ghost or spirit that only certain people see, or if they see him they quickly forget him. He was killing mages in the Tower because he gained some sense of life from it but in his mixed-up mind he was also freeing them.

I thought he was the best character in a rather bland novel, but I agree that his character design for DAI is dippy looking.

I wonder what's bad about it too? since the description litteraly and exactly described what Cole is.
I can't speak for others. As for me, it's just because I dislike anime-styled characters, especially outside anime settings, and he gives me a very strong vibe of it. Besides his description (which as someone here said feels as if it's trying too hard to be cool), his design isn't to my taste either - the hair covering his eyes, the gloomy face, the black eye shadow, they all make him very melancholy (and the hat mysterious). In my mind, melancholy is too associated with a cheap way to come off as deep. Emo, basically.

Personally I much prefer a gritty Aragorn-styled character for a shadowy role.

"Grit" is something of the Witcher community's cliche I suppose. Or just mine, at the least. Maybe it's no surprise then that my most anticipated new companions are Blackwall and Cassandra.

Though Vivienne also seems interesting. We're very infused with notions of freedom and Blood Magic comes off as cool more often than not, so we're (maybe I'm projecting here) are inclined to want freedom for the mages. Templars also tend to come off as the weaker side. They don't have many level-headed and charismatic individuals, none that I remember anyway. That, and conformity is usually thought to be a negative attribute. So Vivienne, being a pro-Circle mage, might challenge our natural inclinations. Or just mine.

There's also something of a more sane Cersei about her.

Last edited:
I can't speak for others. As for me, it's just because I dislike anime-styled characters, especially outside anime settings, and he gives me a very strong vibe of it. Besides his description (which as someone here said feels as if it's trying too hard to be cool), his design isn't to my taste either - the hair covering his eyes, the gloomy face, the black eye shadow, they all make him very melancholy (and the hat mysterious). In my mind, melancholy is too associated with a cheap way to come off as deep. Emo, basically.

Personally I much prefer a gritty Aragorn-styled character for a shadowy role.

"Grit" is something of the Witcher community's cliche I suppose. Or just mine, at the least. Maybe it's no surprise then that my most anticipated new companions are Blackwall and Cassandra.

Though Vivienne also seems interesting. We're very infused with notions of freedom and Blood Magic comes off as cool more often than not, so we're (maybe I'm projecting here) are inclined to want freedom for the mages. Templars also tend to come off as the weaker side. They don't have many level-headed and charismatic individuals, none that I remember anyway. That, and conformity is usually thought to be a negative attribute. So Vivienne, being a pro-Circle mage, might challenge our natural inclinations. Or just mine.

There's also something of a more sane Cersei about her.

This is pretty much me as well. I don't really care if grit is a cliche, it's one I find better than emo and the white knight types.

Impressions by a guy who played it at PAX.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/517262-i-played-dai-at-pax-aus/

Lots of fetch quests. Honestly, I don't think open world/big RPGs can entirely get away from that stuff.

Honestly, I feel like Dragon age would have been better off the way it was, rather than being an open world. It works for The Elderscrolls, because the games' focus really isn't the main quest, and you can entertain yourself with the game without ever touching most of it. I obviously can't say for certain with this, but it doesn't look like that'd be the case with dragon age. The side quests are more like filler here. In TES, you can make characters that pretty much concern themselves only with sidequests.

In other words, there's only so many times that you'll be able to play through the game, running through this big open area for these sidequests when the main attraction where the most focus is likely always the main quest. It's different in elderscrolls because they weave all these side attractions together, so a side quest can lead to something much bigger, whereas from the looks of it, DA I just has it as stuff to do on the side while your ultimate goal is still in mind. I can't say for certain of course, but that's the impression I get from the game and it's sort of military strategy deal on the map.

Has me worried for Witcher as well, but if they can make the majority of the side quests interesting enough to pursue on their own, and not just something you do when you get it while you traverse from main quest to main quest, in a way that encourages exploration, then they'll do fine. Otherwise, you'll start ignoring things quick and it'll feel like a bunch of empty space.

I agree about the purpose of quests in TES. Getting distracted and experiencing the web-like quest structure is what makes them enjoyable, hence the jokes so many never finish the main quest or the games period. You can spend hours on random stuff that snowballs into cooler random stuff. I think DA is more a hub approach like Ego Draconis or TW2. Not true open world. It might even play out in acts, not sure. Bioware has been bad about fetch quests in the past. It'd be a shame if they haven't responded to that particular criticism. I fully expect TW3 to have them as well. CDPR took a chainsaw to that element and almost eliminated them in TW2. I don't think they can pull that off this time.

Last edited:
Templars also tend to come off as the weaker side. They don't have many level-headed and charismatic individuals

*cough* Cullen *cough*

That review brought up one thing that concerns me. The fetching quests. If part of the game revolves around us needing money to achieve stuff, then fetching quests are okay because they're a fairly straight forward way of generating income without accidentally blundering into major plot points before you're ready to get there. However if they're just there so Bioware can boast DA:I has hundreds of hours of gameplay I'm gonna be pissed.
What I hope is that if you do the fetching quests they aren't as simple as they seem and tie into other quests. Again they might also be a way of encouraging players to explore so I suppose they can't be all bad....

I don't know, I think an open world doesn't necessarily make a game have less depth but I believe it takes a bigger effort to make them have the same level of depth., it makes fetch quests very tempting as a fast solution even though in truth it isn't a good solution when abused. As in it doesn't put an artificial limit, but it makes it harder. Wait and see I guess, the fact that the dude didn't complete them doesn't prove that they're good or bad, who knows they might be more complex than what you see at a first glance.

I don't know, I think an open world doesn't necessarily make a game have less depth but I believe it takes a bigger effort to make them have the same level of depth., it makes fetch quests very tempting as a fast solution even though in truth it isn't a good solution when abused. As in it doesn't put an artificial limit, but it makes it harder. Wait and see I guess, the fact that the dude didn't complete them doesn't prove that they're good or bad, who knows they might be more complex than what you see at a first glance.

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't mind a few shallow fetch quests but too many and you'll end up with the problems Skyrim faced. (Although admittedly I actually don't mind the fetch quests in Skyrim bc they were a good way to explore new places...)

So things are progressing as expected. The quality of the game is dilluted because of the size. This has me worried for TW3 as well.

*cough* Cullen *cough*

:innocent:

He's not a templar anymore, and when he was, charismatic wasn't how I'd describe him, and level headed, well, he was getting there. Progressing to full blown fanservice Cullen. But still not quite there.

It's like they knew he couldn't change without dropping the templar thing. Because they're douchebags, lol.

:innocent:

He's not a templar anymore, and when he was, charismatic wasn't how I'd describe him, and level headed, well, he was getting there. Progressing to full blown fanservice Cullen. But still not quite there.

It's like they knew he couldn't change without dropping the templar thing. Because they're douchebags, lol.

Is he actually now not a Templar? Or is he just taking a break during this Inquisition thing? Because that should make a big difference. If he's quit then maybe he will have a different attitude to if he's just taking a break.

Had a feeling you'll mention him.
How could I not mention future Mr Inquisitor?

@Princess_Ciri, I honestly don't know. It doesn't say on the wiki, just that he's serving the inquisition right now. I assume since he's romancable that he isn't a templar anymore, but he could of course just not care.

I could have sworn they said it was still highly discouraged because of their discipline and lifestyle. Makes sense with desire demons and such.

The only character I look forward to seeing is Morrigan, and that's just because Claudia Black is an amazing VA.

Yeah, she's great.
The only plot point I'm still interested is how the conflict between Morrigan and her mother will resolve. I bet they'll drag that unto game 5 of the series ptfff... :p

Top Bottom