The General Videogame Thread

+
Now I'm questioning whether I actually SHOULD get this game on release. Beforehand I was gong to wait, now I'm indecisive.

I caved.

So Internet Archive has this awesome project going on, they added over 900 old Arcade Games that you can play in your browser (pad recommended):

https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

That's cool, I'll try some later.

You know you can also play those locally using MAME/XMAME/MAME32 right? Also newer ones from Capcom and Neo Geo, among others.

Emulation is a legal gray area so I don't feel comfortable going into detail. But some of those games are really good.

I really don't think most modern games are worth their release price. We all know prices will drop, but most importantly games will be unstable and incomplete.

I pretty much stopped pre-ordering and/or buying games on release, except for The Witcher 3 and the Kickstarter cRPG's. I'm sure you can wait a few months. It's not like you have no backlog... right?

I really don't think most modern games are worth their release price. We all know prices will drop, but most importantly games will be unstable and incomplete.

I pretty much stopped pre-ordering and/or buying games on release, except for The Witcher 3 and the Kickstarter cRPG's. I'm sure you can wait a few months. It's not like you have no backlog... right?

Well....uh...uh.....Well...yeah. :ermm:

OK I admit that I have about 100 games that I haven't got around to yet. Don't judge, sales are the bane of my existence! :geek:

The only game I've ever preordered is Wolfenstein: The New Order and that was because of the Doom beta. Thankfully, TNO proved to be an excellent shooter.

I am also preordering the new WoW xpac but that's a different story.

I think there is a time in every gamer's life when he or she must consider where he/she stands in terms of gaming. Why do we play games? For what purpose?

It used to be entertainment. But now? How much do we really enjoy each game if we seem to obsess with collecting and playing them all? The current dynamics can be summarized as "buy game, rush to the ending, move on to the next game" and I think it is a shame. Granted, many (most) modern games are designed around these dynamics, and they don't really offer a lot of detail or replayability.

Whatever happened to squeezing the hell out of each game, because they were so damn good? I'm afraid to count how many hours I've put into the Infinity Engine games for instance, and into The Witcher games, and into classic adventure games.

Let's look at our backlogs. Why did we buy those games? I propose we play through our backlog and enjoy the hell out of it.

That said I also agree with buying on sales. But we should try and catch up, or simply not buy as much. Just saying...

Also, am I jaded or are most (not all) AAA games total crap anyway? Like blockbuster action movies with special effects and no real plot or characters. When you've been playing for a while I guess you notice when the industry decays and/or repeats itself.

Last edited:
@.Volsung.

The primary reason I don't play through them all is I don't like installing too many games as I'm afraid of them slowing my system down. I know that it's probably stupid, but a friend of mine once told me that if you go over half way HDD space then your rig will considerably slow down. I have a 1TB hard drive installed and it's down to 699GB free. Am I talking bullshit?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has all their games installed at once! That'd be overkill :p

It's just about managing your time and getting to enjoy the games you purchase. I usually uninstall once I'm done with them though, but I try to really take my time.

I don't think anyone has all their games installed at once! That'd be overkill :p

It's just about managing your time and getting to enjoy the games you purchase. I usually uninstall once I'm done with them though, but I try to really take my time.

I wouldn't say I'd install them all at once, I'm saying that I'm afraid of having, say, 30 installed for fear of what I said above.

Dunt sound right to me Al but i'm hardly a tech guy, I should think a few gigs is enough to deal with all your system stuff.

I hope so Bloth. There's a lot of games I want to play but I'm just unsure if installing them will slow down my rig, since I have other games installed which I also want to play. It's really confusing.

This discussion made me curious so I went to count.

22 unplayed games in Steam.
10 in GOG.

All of them are purchased on sales. Hopefully I won't buy anything else anytime soon. This is too much, and come February TW3 will take away additional hundreds of hours anyway.

Lack of storage space can be a problem since the operating system has to write logs, system files, virtual memory, etc. But 50% sounds crazy to me. Specially now that hard drives are measured in TB's.

A stable linux installation only needs storage for those previously mentioned tasks. Not sure how Windows does it but it shouldn't be very different. One thing to keep in mind is the pagefile which by default is about the size of your RAM, unnecessarily large for performance oriented applications. Then again Windows doesn't need a reason to break.

@.Volsung.

The primary reason I don't play through them all is I don't like installing too many games as I'm afraid of them slowing my system down. I know that it's probably stupid, but a friend of mine once told me that if you go over half way HDD space then your rig will considerably slow down. I have a 1TB hard drive installed and it's down to 699GB free. Am I talking bullshit?

I think your friend doesn't know much about how hard drives or Windows functions. What your friend said used to be true back when people were using HDD's with much smaller capacities. They were using like 99% of their tiny hard drives and not leaving enough room for Window's paging file. As long as you leave at least 16 GB free (Windows shouldn't ever need more than this to function normally) then you'll be fine. You will not notice any significant difference in performance if you use more than 50% of your 1 TB HDD.

Top Bottom