Assassin's Creed Unity

+

Attachments

• mad_ubi2.jpg
    mad_ubi2.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Make crappy ports with ridiculous system requirements and remove your games from the most popular digital distributor of games in the world.

It's like their goal is to sell as few copies of the game as possible.

There was no reason to sell them on Steam in the first place. They have their own platform and store. Why should they sell games on Steam and give Valve a 30% cut of the price when the multiplayer and stuff is running on their own uplay servers anyway?

EA is using Origin and Ubisoft is using Uplay. That's just fair. I think we PC gamer are too much used to the monopoly Steam is. I'm in no way a Steam hater, on the contrary. But I also use Origin and Uplay and whatever other service/platform to play my games. I don't have any problems with that and I don't see why somebody should have a problem with using Uplay.

Reality is that almost every major AAA Ubisoft game so far used Steam AND Uplay anyway.

So no, it's certainly not their goal "to sell as few copies of the game as possible". It's their goal to earn as much money as possible per game like every other video game company. Or would you just give up 30% of your profit for no apparent reason?

@Csàszàr
I'm fine with that. You started that BS by total off-topic trolling...

@LordCrash Yeah, great move marketing wise - we are not going to sell the game, at that place that has 95% digital distribution coverage, instead we will sell our product in the small shop that nobody likes.

That 30% (or probably less in case of a big developer) is nothing compared to the boost in sales they will get.

"There was no reason to sell them on the biggest digital distribution service available."
:wat:

They're not very good at their job of making money then, also Uplay is terrible. Just 2 days ago it FINALLY got essential features like minimizing the client to tray, background client updates. Steam also has the most coverage. That 30% is nothing compared to what they'll be making as opposed to that little coverage Uplay has. They sold games on XBL and they charged 70% at a time, didn't see Ubi pulling then.

You know I was listening to their investor conference a couple of days ago and they said they finally moved to double digits(percentage wise) in the PC market, and now they pull this stunt.

@LordCrash Yeah, great move marketing wise - we are not going to sell the game, at that place that has 95% digital distribution coverage, instead we will sell our product in the small shop that nobody likes.
You can buy Ubisoft games in many stores for Uplay, not only on their own store. Every other key store sold Uplay keys so far anyway. You only have to use Uplay for starting the game. Once installed you barely even notice it.

That 30% (or probably less in case of a big developer) is nothing compared to the boost in sales they will get.
I doubt that. Ubisoft's big games are known by almost every gamer, on PC and console alike. We don't speak about small indies games here that can only survive when being featured on the Steam frontpage. Ubisoft games don't need Steam and anyone who wants to play them already know about them or will be informed by other means. They do marketing and advertizing literally everywhere, even on TV. So no, gamers will get used to that if it stays that way. It's imo just a lot of dramatization again without any real reason...

They're not very good at their job of making money then, also Uplay is terrible. Just 2 days ago it FINALLY got essential features like minimizing the client to tray, background client updates.
Uplay is just fine. And it never needed something like minimizing to tray because you basically just use it while playing. It's not a community platform like Steam. Uplay's only job is to run in the background while playing and it does exactly that, fast and without a big hassle. I've been using Uplay for years now and it always worked like intented (sometimes there were issues with servers but same is true for Steam...)

Steam also has the most coverage. That 30% is nothing compared to what they'll be making as opposed to that little coverage Uplay has.
Ubisoft doesn't need Steam. EA doesn't need Steam. They are big enough to use other marketing channels than Steam. They are big enough to use their own platforms. That's just the simple reality, no matter how many people use or like Steam.

They sold games on XBL and they charged 70% at a time, didn't see Ubi pulling then.
Yeah, but do you know which contracts they had with MS? You don't and I don't. Maybe they agreed to sell the game there because they also sell it on the Xbox or whatever....

You know I was listening to their investor conference a couple of days ago and they said they finally moved to double digits(percentage wise) in the PC market, and now they pull this stunt.
Maybe they felt finally strong enough to cut ties with Steam and rely on their own strength. Of course it's a bit risky at first but EA sucdeeded in doing so as well some time back. People still buy Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Battlefield. People who want to play these games buy them no matter the platform. Only a vocal minority on the internet complains about that because of whatever reason. Reality is that it's not really that big a problem. It's an absolute side issue for the costumer imo.

MOD EDIT: DO NOT double post.

Last edited:
Just a point about steam, big companies do not need it. Steam is useful if you're a smaller developer or whatever. Ubisoft is huge.

Blizzard has never used steam and they make the most money on PC out of any developer.

Just a point about steam, big companies do not need it. Steam is useful if you're a smaller developer or whatever. Ubisoft is huge.
This I agree on. They can afford "bad sales" unlike smaller devs and publishers.

Doesn't change the fact that the game would sell loads more if it was on Steam. But I do understand that they want to promote Uplay in every possible way.

No it wouldn't sell loads more if it was on steam, the amount of people who would refuse to buy a non-steam game is small.

Besides you have to use Uplay ANYWAY.

EA game sales weren't affect by Origin much, EA"s image was but that's another matter.

Last edited:
The amount of people who buy Ubisoft games on PC is small in itself in the first place. If I'm not mistaken the next-gen consoles were 47%, last gen around 30% and PC was 13-15% and the rest was Wii U.

Though I think those were stats for Watch_Dogs and not of Ubi's year as a whole but it gives you a general idea. AC games are console games through and through but W_D had that "PC is lead platform" thing going on which possibly affects said numbers a bit. I'm uncertain which it was since it was on a call and not something I read but that doesn't really make a big difference.

Last edited:
Interesting comments from some users after the review...

The world is absolutly upside down! On one side Ubi makes a insulting announce to his possible costumers maintaining its everlasting disregard for PC gamers, and on the other side CDPR anounces 16 free DLC which seem allow to the buyers make a kind of costumized open world-non lineal-RPG game for every consoles and system in the market...

Last edited:
This removal is not planned at all, this makes very little sense. It's not a planned move that they decided to stick to Uplay

Just 2 days ago Uplay got an update that provides better integration with Steam and promises more, upcoming changes why would they do that if they planned to move their library to Uplay only? Please don't say "legacy support" they haven't ever supported any of their older titles.
Change for Steam players

We're continuing to make big changes for our Steam players. Alongside the last update which allows you to automatically log in with Steam, you will now see all of your other Steam purchased Uplay games in the Uplay client when launching a game from Steam, making it easier to find the content you own.

Then the games got removed from the UK Steam and one of the brass made a statement about it.
"We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK. In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors."

Then SUDDENLY they get removed worldwide. It's not something they planned to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom