Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Imho that applies to 99% of all video games but I got your point and agree... ;)

Yep that is true actually. The interest from those vids come more from interest in new info, or finding something out rather than enjoyment of a fight, unless it's some sort of montage or quick vid of you doing something goofy:

Or owning some newbs:

:lol: Anyway, yea. A game like Dragon Age though would be especially boring to watch, not to mention it was on nightmare as previously stated. Really wish he showed the damn cutscenes. The facial animations and everything look great. Really disliking the fancy ass clothing though. Dropping those asap, even if I have to go Beowulf style and beat the shit out of people butt ass naked.

In case you're wondering BG 1 is more important than it is good. It brought back the cRPG genre with an OK story and solid mechanics. Combat might seem clunky compared to win-button games like DA, but it's just turns mapped to time. BG is also a decent implementation of AD&D. In general it is a solid cRPG with a cohesive plot, logical progression and some interesting events. But nothing legendary.

BG2 on the other hand not only improves everything the first one did but manages to include all pillars of the cRPG genre and execute them all very well. It also has flaws that are now Bioware staples, like unnecessary combat. But narrative, progression, tactical combat, locales, quest writing and completion states are impressive, making it extremely replayable.

The first is somewhat like DAO. The second is, still, a measuring stick for all cRPGs because it does everything and it does it satisfactorily. For better narrative and decision making, ie deeper role-playing, refer to Planescape Torment.

I still have more fun playing BG2 than any of the two DAs. For better appreciation try to understand a bit of AD&D.

I honestly think video games should try and stay away from being tabletop games.

I have no problems with them in RL, in fact I watch people playing them and they are quite enjoyable, but in video games the mechanics are terrible because said mechanics were designed for something to be played around a table with other people.

I was considering buying DA:I, and Angry Joe's preview made me think a bit more about it, but no, I won't buy it. I don't want to support the DLC practice by purchasing DLCs, and I don't want to play the game with some parts of it cut. Also I hate that they force me to use Origin.

Here you are, EA/Bioware, losing a customer due to crappy business policies. And I bet there is a considerable number of people like me. Though, most probably, EA still makes much more money on selling DLCs/forcing people to run Origin than they lose due to losing customers like myself, and this is a damn shame...

I agree, the best reason not to get it is the anti-consumer practices EA uses.

AJ is a good reviewer, though he also was generous to DA2 at first. He regretted that later.

AJ is a good reviewer, though he also was generous to DA2 at first. He regretted that later.

Already the cast in DA:I that you meet at the beginning are better than the first few people you meet in DA2 (ignoring Flemeth). Even if the game sucks, at least Cassandra will be kicking ass. <3

I honestly don't care on the dlc front, as long as the dlc is good, and it isn't something on the disc, exclusive, or day one dlc. I don't see how these are good reasons to ignore an entire game though... maybe as a side justification for not buying it due to other better reasons, like the game just not being your cup of tea, which just might be me. Otherwise, I'll simply not buy the dlc if I don't want it. No one's forcing me to.

Origin is a different story however. Not looking forward to dealing with that if the reviews and impressions from people I pay attention to turns out positive enough.

I hate Origin SO much. Steam is fine, Origin is pissing me off. For some reason it's bugged for me and whenever I play Dragon Age 2 it suddenly creates 20 (yes, 20) desktop shortcuts to various EA/Origin files. So my beautiful desktop is now covered in shit that I can't get rid of if I want to play DA:O/DA2.

Yes, I've been reading up on a lot of the headaches related to that, and it's one thing I'm going to be looking out for as far as comments go before I bother with this on my new gaming pc. With Farcry 4 coming out on the same day, I'll have something to occupy me while I wait for Witcher 3.

Yeah, of course these issues with DLCs and Origin are not something surprising, and it was known from the start that DA:I will suffer from them. I was just trying to gauge whether my desire to play the game overcomes my feelings on these issues, and no, it doesn't, by considerable margin. This might change though, if the reviews from trusted sources turn out to praise the game really highly. But currently this latter possibility seems to be unlikely.

On the DLC issue: for me the fun of playing the game is spoiled considerably if I know that I don't get the full experience (even if the actual difference is not that substantial). It is precisely this psychological effect which Marcin Iwinski mentioned while talking to Polygon today. So I'd have to buy all the DLCs because otherwise I'd have this nagging feeling that I'm not getting the whole experience. You might say that it's still better than having no experience at all. But at this point it starts to be a matter of principle.

Sounds like an OCD thing to me, lol. I look at it like cutting the fat personally. I didn't and still haven't purchased Leliana's background dlc for instance. Don't give a shit about her, so there was no need for me to buy it. DLC add to the game, they're not incomplete pieces of a puzzle added to the main piece. Unless as I said, it's on the disc, in which case is bullshit, and I'm from here on refusing to make such purchases.

I honestly think video games should try and stay away from being tabletop games.

I have no problems with them in RL, in fact I watch people playing them and they are quite enjoyable, but in video games the mechanics are terrible because said mechanics were designed for something to be played around a table with other people.

I get what you mean and to some extent I agree. A lot of times tabletop doesn't translate well to video games, and doing so poorly results in terrible gameplay. Same with games that try to be a book or a movie. But some "tabletop" games have very well defined rules, and just like game theory, can be adapted to more general scenarios.

I think video games have a lot to offer and designers should focus on what makes them unique. For instance, a computer can perform so many tasks other than display graphics and respond to key presses. I would like games to start implementing better AI, at least 1970s level of academic AI, and give us a real tactical challenge and adapt to our decisions.

Instead we get the same streamlined gameplay but with better graphics and more romance every new generation of games.

I get what you mean and to some extent I agree. A lot of times tabletop doesn't translate well to video games, and doing so poorly results in terrible gameplay. Same with games that try to be a book or a movie. But some "tabletop" games have very well defined rules, and just like game theory, can be adapted to more general scenarios.

I think video games have a lot to offer and designers should focus on what makes them unique. For instance, a computer can perform so many tasks other than display graphics and respond to key presses. I would like games to start implementing better AI, at least 1970s level of academic AI, and give us a real tactical challenge and adapt to our decisions.

Instead we get the same streamlined gameplay but with better graphics and more romance every new generation of games.

In the case of tabletop games and computer games, some types of game simply translate pretty well, with some necessary modifications, across the two media. Strategy and tactical games are the example par excellence of this. Some of these games are even better at home on computers, because of what you can do in terms of graphics, animation, leaving combat resolution to the computer rather than the rolling of dice, etc.

Problems arise, I think, when attempts are made to hybridise these types of games with action games. Not that it’s impossible, but you can get some really strange results by mixing strategy / tactics game elements, who are always abstract at some level, with the more concrete, real-worldy / fantasy cartoon worldy aspects of action games.

A classic example would be the totally ridiculous numbers of levels and hitpoints in ‘action’ CRPG’s, where parties or even small armies (in MMO’s) just have to keep on whittling away at those hitpoints, rather than, say, use specific weapons and weak points:
‘Oh, look, it’s a dragon. Quick! Use a ballista with magically charged bolts to penetrate the soft hide on its belly’
versus
‘Let’s whittle away the hit points on its four legs’ :(

I was considering buying DA:I, and Angry Joe's preview made me think a bit more about it, but no, I won't buy it. I don't want to support the DLC practice by purchasing DLCs, and I don't want to play the game with some parts of it cut. Also I hate that they force me to use Origin.

Here you are, EA/Bioware, losing a customer due to crappy business policies. And I bet there is a considerable number of people like me. Though, most probably, EA still makes much more money on selling DLCs/forcing people to run Origin than they lose due to losing customers like myself, and this is a damn shame...
Your statement is funny and very ironic cuz this https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/530486123030913027

What do you mean precisely? I don't care of multiplayer, so I don't care about free multiplayer DLCs. On the other hand, there are day-1 story DLCs for DA:I, and they are not free.

There are not any day-1 story DLC for DAI. Where did you saw this BS?? They haven't any plans for story DLC right about now. They are on damn vacation after more then 4 years development cycle. And i doesn't matter if you care or not about MP.... its FREE. So your argument "Here you are, EA/Bioware, losing a customer due to crappy business policies." is little bit off even though i respect your.......lack of interest in MP.

There are not any day-1 story DLC for DAI. Where did you saw this BS?? They haven't any plans for story DLC right about now. They are on damn vacation after more then 4 years development cycle. And i doesn't matter if you care or not about MP.... its FREE. So your argument "Here you are, EA/Bioware, losing a customer due to crappy business policies." is little bit off even though i respect your.......lack of interest in MP.

Dude, chill. TGIF. EA's not worth all the aggro. It's not like he's shitting on the game or their games themselves anyway. Just how they handle dlc, which is rather small no matter what side of the fence you're on.

Anyway, I like the free dlc, even if it's for multiplayer, which I won't be touching, though only because I have very few in person friends who play on PC and only one who may get DA: I. Doubtful he'll want to play multiplayer. I like the free though, and liked it in Mass Effect as well.

BUT, it's for multiplayer, which I really despise in rpg settings, so for me, the shit may as well not be there. I'm not going to pat them on the back for offering something for free that I personally feel they shouldn't have even wasted their time with in the first place. Witcher is offering actual in game dlc for free. 16 pieces of what I'm guessing is sidequests, which is big to me. CDPR and Bethesda have the best customer relations out there.

Top Bottom