Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
I don't see that at all, personally. He didn't do that with TESO, Assassin's Creed or Halo Reach. Same for Halo ODST, much loved by the fans, but he ripped apart anyway.

I've had my disagreements with him, but even when I did, his reasonings made sense and didn't sound like made up butthurt.

He did it for Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age II ( which he then was shouted at to change because of a favorable score he gave it and he did make it one of most disappointing games of that year ), Alien: Isolation and so on. It's generally not the entire review that he changes based on that but parts of it.

As for TESO. A lot of people hated that game. Dunno about Reach and ODST but we'll see.

I would personally expect a favorable score from Joe on DA:I

@knightofphoenix: I would argue that being able to acquire gameplay skills does not make one more intelligent and/or capable. After all Alistair and Wynne can acquire potion/poison and trap making as well. Cunning and Persuasion work the same away, these are gameplay skills.

Thorton does have something similar in ONE situation where he can get data and save his ally at the same time if he has a specific skill.

As for blank slate protagonists. The character in Jade Empire worked well enough, as did Revan, the Exile ( know you hate KOTOR 2 ) and so on.

I would however argue that the few cases where you can be proactive do not make up for the idiocy you are forced to get involved in Dragon Age: Origins....Awakening for all it's faults though, and it does have them even on a purely story level, never has you being forced to act like a complete imbecile and does indeed present many opportunities to act intelligently and proactively.

Quite frankly that's why I have hopes for DA:I. Because if it's Awakening 2.0, but far bigger and better then it will be a fun ride.

Last edited:
I don't see that at all, personally. He didn't do that with TESO, Assassin's Creed or Halo Reach. Same for Halo ODST, much loved by the fans, but he ripped apart anyway.

I've had my disagreements with him, but even when I did, his reasonings made sense and didn't sound like made up butthurt.

Yup. Look at how he's being bashed now about his negative thoughts on Call of Duty.
He's a honest fellow, and speaks his own mind, in a funny way. I like that.

Last edited:
@Costin
The inclusion of gameplay skills make for a skilled protagonist, which I like. It is not a measure of intelligence, but it is a measure of non-combat skills and talents. And persuasion is a PC specific skill, no one else can acquire it. Not the best persuasion system, but it does constitute an investment on the part of the player that necessitates a sacrifice in terms of combat skills.

The character in Jade Empire was not that much better than the Warden. Same with Revan, the Warden can be more pro-active (really, there is only one instance where Revan can be really pro-active, and that's Korriban). However, what Revan has that the Warden does not, is being able to engage in a lot of Quests that were not combat based (investigations, hacking, puzzles....etc). So in that sense, Revan had more opportunities to display intelligence. Dragon Age: Origins did not have quests that needed to be solved without combat, which is a problem all recent bioware games suffered from.

Anyways, I believe that the idiocies that we are forced to engage in in Origins, while are definitely there and are annoying, do not detract from the Warden as a PC in general. I believe the game offers enough opportunities for pro-action and intelligence that it makes playing the Warden fun.

His CoD video is not a review, just a point there.

That's a point? If so, I don't know what it is, because it not being a review doesn't really change the fact that Joe is honest in what he feels. Look at the comments on that video. Lots of people pissed off at him for not agreeing with Totalbiscuit and the rest.

So good. So fucking good.

Hairstyles are the same for men and women, and all the races with the exception of Qunari.

I am so depressed about the hair options tbh :/
If they were going to put so much effort into character creation, why didn't they make it possible to have hip length hair? :( I wanted to make my Inquisitor look like myself but there's no option to have hip length hair so i'm sad.
Hopefully mods will sort that out but it's still not the same.

I am so depressed about the hair options tbh :/
If they were going to put so much effort into character creation, why didn't they make it possible to have hip length hair? :( I wanted to make my Inquisitor look like myself but there's no option to have hip length hair so i'm sad.
Hopefully mods will sort that out but it's still not the same.

Holy shit, Rapunzel :p

I'm sure there'll be mods for that.

Holy shit, Rapunzel :p

I'm sure there'll be mods for that.

Lol I wanted to have hair as long as Rapunzel when I was a kid. Unfortunately my hair reaches around my lower back and then refuses to get much longer :( there went my dreams of having ankle length hair, haha.

Modded hair always looks a bit too anime for me, but hopefully someone will make some good, realistic long hair mods.

You know what would be cool? An app that uses the Kinect to scan your face and then approximate your face in the character creator to get a face that looks like yours as much as possible.

The more I see of this game the less I'm liking it. Specially with all these previews appearing that make me suspicious.

First thing I'm seeing is the graphics are actually ugly, especially when I compare the 60FPS 1080p previews with my DAO game I'm running at the moment. A couple dozen mods and... Jup DAO just looks better, DAI looks so cartoony compared to the DAO dirty but more realistic optic. The just plain better hair texture mods from years ago offer.

Second what the hell is up with the character portraits, again the cartoony look ugh. The health bar covering so much screen just no not good.

Three again why the awesome button? DAO had really nice rogue play with stealth and positioning and funny shooting arrows in the back of the ogres head. But here again the DA2 horrible press button for instant port around the battlefield to backstab.

four where is the tactical view could someone please show me that one instead of all the jumping crap. I need to know if that's halfway decent.

And the unforgivable: that keep thing is grotesque: No way I can explain my boyfriend he has to make some 300 something choices to recreate the save games I nicely tucked away on an external save-game drive back in the day. Yes I suffered through DA2 for him because he got motion sickness from the "awesome button" jumping shit, Just so his game was done as he wanted it.

At he moment this game actually looks like a: will check the bargain bin in a year.

The more I see of this game the less I'm liking it. Specially with all these previews appearing that make me suspicious.

First thing I'm seeing is the graphics are actually ugly, especially when I compare the 60FPS 1080p previews with my DAO game I'm running at the moment. A couple dozen mods and... Jup DAO just looks better, DAI looks so cartoony compared to the DAO dirty but more realistic optic. The just plain better hair texture mods from years ago offer.

Ugly?!?! Are we looking at the same game? It looks beautiful to me. Dragon Age Origins looks like it was played through a potato in comparison. I have just been playing DA:O and I am 100% sure DA:I looks better.

You know what would be cool? An app that uses the Kinect to scan your face and then approximate your face in the character creator to get a face that looks like yours as much as possible.

That would actually be awesome. I always find on character creators I can never get my nose quite right... which is weird, my nose isn't weird looking or anything but video game noses never look like mine *sobs*

Yea, there are a few things here and there that I don't like about the look, but the one thing I can't really say so far is that the game looks ugly. It looks rather amazing to me, especially in Joe's preview.

I agree on all the lame ass awesome button stuff though. Annoying.

Top Bottom