The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
Have some folks forgotten about their generosity in the past? We got tons of free stuff in both games and much of the content was created after launch. Keep in mind they pushed the release date for TW3 way back. Now they're done and polishing, the perfect time to make the DLCs. They're just doing what they've always done. Who cares how they go about it? Also, I felt this is as much a message to other publishers as it is marketing to gamers. The way they've structured it like a season pass, only it's free, is interesting.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with getting your message out there, nothing wrong with marketing when its honest, too seldom it is these days, more often its a shade of manipulation. But I don't see that at all in this announcement or strategy, I see a Message, perhaps even a Challenge, a slap with the gauntlet to the face of others, and a good clear resounding statement of solidarity from the REDs standing with us gamers, a much needed thing these days we should only be thanking them for.
Yeah, but about that "message". There is imo a difference between staying true to your policy of free DLC after release and there is nothing wrong with communicationg that. But I have a problem with the amouncement of DETAILED DLC months before the release. Imho CDPR should work on the game itself until minute 0 (=hour of release) and even beyond and that's probably already enough to think about and care. Why do we need to know NOW that there will be a few new skins and stuff after release? I certainly don't. On the opposite, it gives me the wrong impression of typcial retail business (aka game is "finished" weeks/moinths before release combined with bad industry DLC schemes. I mean, most of the stuff anounced here isn't even worth to be announced in such a manner for other good developers. So no, I don't think it's good marketing the way it was communicated (By the way, what happened to good ol' full expansions?)

"All possible DLC for our new game in January 2015 will be free. But now we have enough to do with finishing the game so we will think about DLC once the game is out." -> good message

"Skin package XY for characters Z and W for our new game in January 2015 will be free. We obviously don't have enough to do with finishing the game so we already thought about what we could include in the game after release." -> not so good message

I hope you'll understand what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
@LordCrash ; Step back and take a wider view of this mate, this is a good thing[SUP]TM[/SUP]. Like Slim has said remember their history, consider the view of this event I have described, take in all the context, and know - from their games if nothing else - that the REDs are more than capable of complex narratives, doing more than one thing at a time, is it too much to ask that you view this event likewise, must they be perceived as one-dimensional as the rest?

Nice of you, for me is 100% marketing and slapping rivals, specially for how and when has been done.

Nothing wrong with the odd slap, I've benefited from the occasional concerned friend intervention wake-up call myself... on mums.net I believe they call it "tough love". ;)

Anyway, I'm getting the impression you're taking something personally here, so i'll leave you to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@LordCrash ; Step back and take a wider view of this mate, this is a good thing[SUP]TM[/SUP].

Offering free content IS a good thing. I don't think anyone is questioning that. But the way they announced these free DLC here (time and content) is imo NOT a good thing. That's all I'm saying. ;)

Obviously they are not gonna say "we could have added this in time but then we couldn't show us as the good nice guys of industry" Why did they announce it 4 months in advance? Why did announce such amount, in such precise deliver planning and all so close to launch?
My suspicious is a combination of crappy treatment of most devs towards their costumers AND how CDPR has done this campaign, and how deeply it difers from TW1 and 2 dlcs.

Because maybe they now with TW3 have enough time and resources to put some planning into this, not just "oh whatever, let's just finish the game now and then we'll patch it and add some content as we go". What's so bad about planning?

There is also another aspect - to make the game keep selling well during release time, they might want to limit the negative effects of trade-ins and used copy sales by having a schedule of additional content released on a weekly basis. Sure, now there's only some cosmetic stuff but there's already a quest, so who knows what those other DLC packs will bring. It might encourage some people to keep playing the game instead of selling it with new content flowing in on a weekly basis.

Imho CDPR should work on the game itself until minute 0 (=hour of release) and even beyond and that's probably already enough to think about and care.

It's already been said that devs are not working on the game until "minute 0" but you seem to ignore this argument completely.

Why do we need to know NOW that there will be a few new skins and stuff after release? I certainly don't.

You don't and that's fine. But some of those people who planned to sell the game as soon as they finish it might now change their mind a little. And some of the people that hesitated about pre-ordering the game or even buying it on day one might have reconsidered - in fact, there were plenty of comments from such people under the announcement on gaming sites. So hey, maybe it was quite a good business move too, not only PR bullshit?

On the opposite, it gives me the wrong impression of typcial retail business (aka game is "finished" weeks/moinths before release combined with bad industry DLC schemes. I mean, most of the stuff anounced here isn't even worth to be announced in such a manner for other good developers. So no, I don't think it's good marketing the way it was communicated

Once again, you missed the argument saying that yes - the game will be finished weeks/months before release and it's absolutely normal.

Offering free content IS a good thing. I don't think anyone is questioning that. But the way they announced these free DLC here (time and content) is imo NOT a good thing. That's all I'm saying. ;)

Except that it IS a good thing. There are a lot of discussions about the dlc policy of gaming companies in other game forums and in the comment sections of gaming sites. Maybe this discussion is a first step that someday something will change.

@LordCrash ; Step back and take a wider view of this mate, this is a good thing[SUP]TM[/SUP]. Like Slim has said remember their history, consider the view of this event I have described, take in all the context, and know - from their games if nothing else - that the REDs are more than capable of complex narratives, doing more than one thing at a time, is it too much to ask that you view this event likewise, must they be perceived as one-dimensional as the rest?

Nothing wrong with the odd slap, I've benefited from the occasional concerned friend intervention wake-up call myself... on mums.net I believe they call it "tough love". ;)

Anyway, I'm getting the impression you're taking something personally here, so i'll leave you to that.

I'm not taking it personal, either from you or CDPR, just civilized debate going on here.

First of all I'd like to thank and applaud for cdpr for everything they have done for us gamers and listening to us.
I just can't understand why some people always try to find excuses in everything. CDP people are just trying to bring balance in the industry. There's hardly any devs left who care for their fanbase like they do. They have already said that this is how they show love to there community.
We love you CDPR
Cheer's

It's already been said that devs are not working on the game until "minute 0" but you seem to ignore this argument completely.

I guess that's what you used to on consoles. But that's not a natural law and it's certainly not what should be done in modern digital times.

And yes, maybe I'm spoilt by devs like Larian Studios. But then again it's CDPR who stylize themselves as the best devs ever and so it's up to them to even meet the highest standards. On of these standards is that you CAN work on your game until minute 0 - if you want to. That principle is even known in the retail world as "day one patch". It contains everything which was done between the retail gold master and the final release.

Maybe - since CDPR is so progressive - they should abandon retail market alltogether. Digital offers so many benefits...(yeah, I'm daydreaming)

Once again, you missed the argument saying that yes - the game will be finished weeks/months before release and it's absolutely normal.
It's also normal to earn money with DLCs or use DRM and CDPR isn't doing either of them. So what is normal? A game doesn't have to be finished months before release - that's thinking from some 10 years ago before digital releases and the internet got big in gaming...

You don't and that's fine. But some of those people who planned to sell the game as soon as they finish it might now change their mind a little. And some of the people that hesitated about pre-ordering the game or even buying it on day one might have reconsidered - in fact, there were plenty of comments from such people under the announcement on gaming sites. So hey, maybe it was quite a good business move too, not only PR bullshit?
You didn't get my point. There is nothing wrong with announcing free content in general after release. CDPR did that already several times in various interviews and stuff. But detailed plans about which skins (and other pointless DLC stuff) you will release and even when you plan to release them is taking the whole thing too far. But yeah, I guess I'm spoilt...

And on a last note: not everything which is meant as marketing effort to increase sales is also "good taste". And not everything that is meant well is also received well. People have different opinions and experiences and expectations, you know... ;)

Last edited:

Sken

Forum veteran
There is too much at stake to work on new content inclusion in the main game until minute 0, regardless of certification processes etc.

The risk of creating new or breaking gaming bugs would be huge in a game this size, and become a PR disaster as we have seen in multiple releases recently. That's not the headlines they are looking for.

There are enough bugs in open world games as is, no need to expose yourself even more.

Keep in mind Witcher 3 will have a far bigger market penetration that their two previous games combined, for many the first time having their hands on a CDPR game, buying this game without playing the previous two.

First impressions, bitter tastes, all that sort of thing come into play. These users should get a solid and stable game. You know what else they will get? 16 content updates and a mod kit, without asking for it or having to pay for it. IMO, a great way to create a bond and level of trust with the new gamer.

What has likely occurred is the main game is finished and is being polished/tested. A good portion of the Witcher team moved to Cyperbunk leaving a small team allocated with the task of producing post release content.

Fantastic move CDPR, and thank you for being great consistently, roll on Feb 24.

I would make one of them Bethesda Softworks.

Tbh I think Bethesda did a good job with the DLC and expension of Skyrim. Two dlc expansions wich added substantial new content plus that family simulator wich wasn't that great, but was also just 5$. Though they were maybe a little overpriced.

I Like it and i applaude CDPR for saying fuck you to others practicing this expensive DLC bollocks :cheers:

Bethesda is actually doing a good job with expansions, making them big and interesting. What I would add, though, is Ubisoft and Activision. And top them all with TF2 hats :comeatmebro:

Thanks CDPR... i dont even know what to say about all this 16 free DLC's... You guys are GODS thanks for doing this for the community and thanks for caring for us ! :hatsoff:

Top Bottom