Combat in The Witcher 3

+
I think I really liked the FORWARD role, but not the back-roll. So I'm okay with the dodging/dashing, but they should make him cover a little bit less distance, that way he can just escape any hit without problems, seriously. I've already seen versions of the game that were way too easy. I know some of them could be due to demo purposes and I really hope so, but animations such as this one are part of why Geralt doesn't get hurt that easy in TW3 apparently.

The main problem in TW2 for me was that we had VERY limited SPACE to actually move around and dodge monster attacks. Now that we have an open world I think the system of TW2 (with a few tweaks here and there) would have worked perfectly.
Don't get me wrong, I like some of the changes, I also like that enemies attack at the same time, that animations can be interrupted and stuff, but to keep the difficulty animations should take half a second to be interrupted (meaning unlike in TW2 he CAN interrupt animations before finishing the move, but it will still take a second) and those dodge distances definitely have to be adjusted.
As for the toll, I would love to see a forward role or a role to the sides, but backwards I think the dodge is fine.
The main problem in TW2 - like I said - was that basically you had to dodge all the time because you couldn't properly parry, that the sword movements were way too "heavy" and took too long (for a Witcher) and that there was no space to actually dodge away often enough.

The dash animation could use a bit of refinement, and I know feelings towards it seem to be pretty strong, but I just personally think it looks far better then the Roll and fine as is. Sure it could do with looking a little less "zippy", but if the game launches with the dash as is, ultimately I have no problems.

The dash animation could use a bit of refinement, and I know feelings towards it seem to be pretty strong, but I just personally think it looks far better then the Roll and fine as is. Sure it could do with looking a little less "zippy", but if the game launches with the dash as is, ultimately I have no problems.

Only one I have issues with is that sound barrier breaking backwards dash. I'm fine with all the others. They seem fluid and quick, yet they look realistic.

Agreed that the dash could use refinement. I don't want it out of the game, no more than I want rolling out of the game. The more animations, the better, each for specific circumstances. Personally I don't think that the distance covered while dashing is what makes it weird to watch, I think it's the speed of it - you\I can't pick up any of Geralt's motions. To me it seems as if he's gliding, and very quickly at that, while slowing him down a tad, maybe emphasizing a bit the leg movement, can possibly make it nicer. I think in Bloodborne's videos jumping away had a nice speed to it? I can't remember and can't search for it right now.

I'm not as bothered by it as I may seem in my posts though. I agree with Vigilance. Overall the combat looks really fun and I'm excited to get into it, especially after the Polish gameplay. The improvements I'm hoping for aren't crucial, just relatively minor issues to make it look better (how it feels may be an entirely different matter - once I actually play I'm not as focused on the animations as I am when watching videos).

Last edited:
its not that bad, better than the roll just dont spam it:)

Not sure if I like the dodge animation.. look at 24:05 how fugly it looks if you spam it 3x in row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlq...jjiZj7RS0BEg&feature=player_detailpage#t=1445

Yeah they should definitely find a way to reduce the amount of space crossed in one dash and maybe include a short dash-block if you want to spam it 3 - 4 times in a row. I mean not even a Witcher can dash that far in so short a time. It just looks OP, especially also from a gameplay POV.

you\I can't pick up any of Geralt's motions. To me it seems as if he's gliding, and very quickly at that, while slowing him down a tad, maybe emphasizing a bit the leg movement, can possibly make it nicer.

Maybe it's THAT. I just have the feeling he is way too fast, even for a Witcher. Yes sure, he should be superhuman fast, just saying even for that it is a little bit fast, same goes for his strikes and other animations. It's like they never happen, like in a street fighter game or in some Japanese JRPGs.

Last edited:
I still can't figure out the targeting. The wolves in the Russian vid dance circles around Geralt and to hit the Werewolf the player apparently has to spam attack until he reaches the target. I hope it's not like that in final build. The shove attack is a cool idea.

Maybe it's THAT. I just have the feeling he is way too fast, even for a Witcher. Yes sure, he should be superhuman fast, just saying even for that it is a little bit fast, same goes for his strikes and other animations. It's like they never happen, like in a street fighter game or in some Japanese JRPGs.
I just watched the werewolf and the bandits fight again in the Russian footage and in those two cases I realized that it was actually necessary that the dodge was very quick. It didn't look out of place there. The reason I think its quickness and distance felt strange to me in earlier videos was because the player dashed away without it looking to be required (he attacked, jumped away, attacked, jumped away). Especially with the werewolf since he came in at Geralt really fast, and with a slower evade animation it may have not worked. In the bandit fight it also seemed that blocking a sword attack was just holding down a button rather than timing the block, which I hope isn't the case.

So my conclusions from all this is: I'm inconsistent, I'm starved for videos which leads me to nitpick to death the existing ones, without understanding really how the mechanics work, let alone how they play, and so I should just stop "analyzing" videos for now since I'm going back and forth.

The point is that the animation itself isn't good, plus back dodge shouldn't always be a viable option, it would make the combat boring. Up until now I've seen the side pirouette only a few times, while the dodging has always been spammed since day one. And I keep thinking that the camera is too far away: I want to feel I'm inside the battle, just like in EGX 2013 demo.

The point is that the animation itself isn't good, plus back dodge shouldn't always be a viable option, it would make the combat boring. Up until now I've seen the side pirouette only a few times, while the dodging has always been spammed since day one. And I keep thinking that the camera is too far away: I want to feel I'm inside the battle, just like in EGX 2013 demo.
Agreed about the camera. Sid rightly pointed out a while back that it might not be really effective when you're facing multiple enemies. I think slim mentioned something of the sort as well. Makes sense. So I'm hoping that the default distance will be decided by the game but with a sliding zoom-in\out option, like in Skyrim.

Last edited:
Agreed about the camera and the dodge.
And about the EGX Demo, did you watch it? How is it compared to the latest?

Top Bottom