The General Videogame Thread

+
I just discovered that Freespace 2 has an open source engine: http://scp.indiegames.us/
And one can build the launcher for Linux: https://github.com/wxLauncher/wxlauncher/

So there is no point to wait for GOG to release the Linux version (they probably never will), when one can just build the launcher and use game files from GOG.

Next step - building Freespace 2 ;D

UPDATE:

Amazing, GOG even covered it in their news: https://www.gog.com/news/freespace_2_open_source_code_project_spotlight

Then I wonder why they still don't sell the Linux build of the game...

Last edited:
UPDATE: Building the launcher proved to be very messy. It seems it has fallen behind and wasn't updated to recent libraries. So unless you want to manually patch all the errors it produces - better wait until they'll fix this.

Whooo!!! I just got Farcry 4 for free! I bought a bunch of computer parts lately for my gaming pc, one of them being a graphics card that's the price of an Xbone, and Newegg gave me the choice of something called Crew, then Assassins Creed Unity and Farcry 4 for free! I've got the download key at the ready. **** me, am I happy!

Yeah I got the same game coupon. I think anyone who buys a GTX 780, 970 or 980 can get one.

I am not thrilled about these games being heavily tied to Ubisoft's U Play. Also (at least AC Unity) they look like lazy console ports (look at system requirements). Might give one a try though. It was "free" so I didn't have to sell my soul, but I may have to sign in blood.

Don't care at all for Assassins Creed, but Farcry 3 was awesome for the most part. This is rather awesome for me since it's my first modern custom gaming pc. Very happy, must say. I had no idea that was a thing for the GTX 970.

I got Watch_Dogs with my GPU and then got scammed out of it when trying to trade the code. Nothing of value was lost

Also, here is the entire FC4 map. Spoilers obviously

Holy fuck that's huge. I'm doing the same thing I did last time and clearing as much space as the game will let me through story restrictions, revealing as much as I can on the maps, then I'm going to hunt for as many pelt upgrades as I can, and then clearing all the outposts I can. Then I'll continue with the story.

I'm watching a stream of Sonic Boom on Wii-U. This game looks awful and I don't mean just visually. The team that made this is ex-naughty dog employees, how could they mess up this badly? The game runs on Cryengine 3 and looks worse than any sonic game that has come out recently. Also, you can only carry 100 rings unless you link your 3DS to the game. I feel bad for Nintendo and Wii-U owners. Nintendo paid for this game as part of a exclusivity deal for like 3-4 sonic games.

Just look at this

Last edited:
That's an interesting example of how to apply basic math. I've mentioned before that games should start incorporating more simulation and real AI, and for that we need more prepared game people, a profile beyond the typical game programmer.

Maybe game companies will have a resident computational scientist now?

That's an interesting example of how to apply basic math. I've mentioned before that games should start incorporating more simulation and real AI, and for that we need more prepared game people, a profile beyond the typical game programmer.

Maybe game companies will have a resident computational scientist now?

This is why I'm so impressed with what Madoc has done. Especially since he's self taught yet he's doing more advanced programming in regard to physics and AI than in any other game I know of. Not to mention he's also doing the job of 20 people (project lead, programmer, animator, PR, graphics and textures, etc., etc.). I think Aes Sidhe was correct when he named him "The Mad Doc" lol.

Currently his AI will take many things into account; whether you are making eye contact, how well equipped you are vs. how well equipped they are in order to determine if it wise to attack, what actions you've previously done (which the AI has witnessed) helps determine how the AI treats you, whether you have your back turned (attack of opportunity), whether or not you're already engaged in combat (attack of opportunity), whether or not attacking you will help/hinder their overall goals/progress, etc. These are just a few of the things the AI takes into consideration which determines how the AI will react.

And there are many things AI are capable of doing other than just attack or not attack. They may attempt to follow you if they find you suspicious in order to observe what you are doing. They can stalk you if they want to kill you for whatever reason but they're waiting for a good opportunity to do so. They may decide to help you if they determine it is beneficial for them to do so or betray you for the same reason. The AI considers the short term and long term events in order to make a decision or form an opinion.

I could write an entire essay on his AI and another essay on his physics system and procedural animation, and how these both significantly impact gameplay, but this is not the place to do so (besides, the game is still under NDA).

Last edited:
This is why I'm so impressed with what Madoc has done.

Thanks for pointing it out, I've never heard of him before. The project looks very promising: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis

They are interested in Linux version though it sounds like it will require more effort for them:

- Will I be able to play on Mac/Linux?

- We want to support both Mac and Linux with native clients. With Mac this should be trivial, we have less direct experience with Linux so would rather not make any promises just yet.

Native port would be better of course, but Wine is a good start if they'd take care to make it work there flawlessly.
A port is planned to be released after the Windows version is complete. Madoc (and the rest of the team) already work on the game 15 hours a day, 7 days a week; they live in the studio they work at. None of the devs are being paid for their work. They use the funds raised from crowdfunding to cover basic living expenses. They won't be paid anything until the game is released and it starts to sell. Given the circumstances I can understand why they don't have the resources to make a port beforehand.

GOG sale on, free Mount and Blade.

Edit: Yep got the base game on me shelf for free, yippee.

get it fools

also there's a sale with the expansions. I never play the base game, all the good mods are in the Warband version, which is practically the same game only you can marry.

Top Bottom