Movies / TV Shows!

+
Meh, pardon my negativity :p but I just can't manage to look forward to this one, no matter how hard I try to. I thought the first movie was great, mostly since the made up parts of the story weren't that apparent, but the second one to me was a big disappointment. The parts that stayed true to the book were too short, and the parts that aren't in the books at all were too long (Azog isn't even alive anymore in the book, darn it!). Also I just can't see how they will fill up an entire movie with such a small part of the book, the actual battle I mean (and so far I've seen way too much of those darn made up elves already). Perhaps I complain too much, but I'm very much against messing with a story like this, especially considering it's popularity. I just can't stop wondering; whyyyyyyyyyy?

Couldn´t agree more with this. I´ll still watch the third film, mainly because I want to see the closure they give to the story, but I´m not very optimistic about it...

I just finished watching the third season of "Borgia" (the Netflix version, not the Showtime version titled "The Borgias"). I really enjoyed the show and I highly recommend it. The character progression, dialogue, costumes, pacing, scenery and setting were all very well done.

I got a recommendation for "House of Cards" a political TV series from The White House. First I didn't think it could be very entertaining, but I was very wrong...The characters are great, political world is ruthless and there is no shortage of every kind of schemes...dialogues are quick and full of wit so I can only recommend it :)

I'd agree with this when it comes to most TV shows that are based on UK originals, but Kevin Spacey in the American version is just amazing. He basically makes that show what it is.

Yes, Kevin Spacey is brilliant there.
Oh, I'm sorry for being such an ignorant. I didn't know there was an original UK version... But shall check it out!

So, the title of the upcoming Star Wars Episode VII has been revealed:

God, I hope it´s good!!!!!

So, Interstellar. What do you think?

It's becoming difficult to talk about Nolan films. You can quickly be categorized as a Nolan fanboy giving in to the hype and not realizing the movies suck, or an anti-Nolan critic who refuses to be impressed by something amazing.

I loved the film. I think "awe-inspiring" is a good way to describe it? It really fills you with a sense of wonder and humbles you. There aren't many movies that present space travel as a difficult undertaking, whereas here I really felt like humanity may be way over its head. It certainly helped that it all looked stunning. There was also a much needed personal and emotional touch that was lacking in the Dark Knight trilogy and wasn't really strong in Inception between Cobb and Mal and I think it was well executed here.

It's also one of the few movies where halfway in I still had no guess as to how it'll end. I remember looking at the watch and hoping there was more to it. I wanted to experience more of that terrifying and mysterious space.

There were also three specific scenes that had me riveted to the screen, two of them were like a punch to the gut.
When Cooper receives 23-years worth of videos from his sun and he sees him aging between each mail, and you see him breaking down. The scene where they were racing Mann to their ship-thingy that was orbiting above the planet (Hans Zimmer really outdid himself there) and then lastly the black hole, which was probably the part that required the most suspension of disbelief, but I still enjoyed very much, and it reminded me a bit of BioShock: Infinite.

It's hard to compare, and I don't know if this says it's a "better movie" or not (whatever that means), but I think I may have enjoyed watching this more than I did The Dark Knight.

Rewatching Monster. An oddity of an anime, with great English dub. Even if you are not interested in anime, it’s still a good recommend because it actually takes a lot of influence from western narrative tropes and is set in Germany in the late 80s. (Actually it takes a lot of influence from Hitchcock).

Also it is one of the few anime I know where every face is drawn different, and are not a cast full of teenagers trying to save the world. It is also one of the few stories where I actually root for the protagonists trying to do good because unlike in a video game, where a lawful good hypocrite will still kill enemies, the characters are everyday folk who are forced into situations to that test their moral boundaries, and despite it all continue to persevere. Also it has a lot of interesting side characters, that can have a jump leap in character development and when it happens, there are too many feels.

You will probably know that you will like it when you start to watching the first 30 episodes and realized that you've wasted your whole day. Biggest critique of it though, is that the characters can sound pretty melodramatic at some points, and the story will eventually drag on too much after episode 55. (It is over 70 episdoes long, btw)

And this OST! *swoon*

Last edited:
Everything @eliharel said about Interstellar and then some. Even though the "Earth is done for, we have to go planet hunting" proposition is one I loathe, here it is done convincingly, right down to the details of "what does it mean for the people trying to survive on Earth" and "how do we get government backing for it".

I saw it with a physicist friend who said it is the best treatment of high-concept cosmology he has ever seen in a movie. At least, right up to the climax, which gets silly. It should be good; Professor Wormhole himself (Kip Thorne) was tech advisor, and they used his equations in the CGI.

Where it fails for me is the attempt to make much of the power of human love. I will not fault it for trying, just for trying too hard and being too damn obvious about trying too hard.

@Brigid

I got the first season of Monster at a local book store for like $12 in a box set on DVD recently. I really want to watch it but haven't yet. Really sounds interesting to me.

It was this box set http://www.amazon.com/Naoki-Urasawa...&qid=1415934909&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+anime

Of course it's not the entire series. I'd have to get the rest of the episodes elsewhere.

O: Ohhh boy. If Monster is your cup of tea, you’ll probably regret not buying the rest of those episodes. Monster’s plot teases its mysteries/twists slowly at the end of each arc that you will want to watch more if you are hooked. (It works well in the beginning, but not so much after past episode 55+ though when it becomes redundant)

If I remember though, the first eight episodes pick up the main plot quite fast. After that though, it will not get to the main plot very quickly, and some episodes are slice-of-life. Most of those episodes are quite good though. (Episode 9 in particular for some reason makes me cry.)

It is also going to be adapted by Guillermo Del Toro into an HBO Series one day, with Stephen Thompson writing the pilot, if that gives more incentive to watch it.

Last edited:
And in five more years - SILMARILLION: THE QUADRILOGY.

I wish. Though I doubt they'll be able to fit it into such format :) And doubt even more Tolkien Estate will let anyone film it... Jackson said he doesn't think it will happen.

The trailer looks good! I think at this point most watch the Hobbit not to match it to the book, but just to return to the Middle Earth made by Jackson and his team :)

Last edited:
O: Ohhh boy. If Monster is your cup of tea, you’ll probably regret not buying the rest of those episodes.
Here's the thing, from what I researched I can't find anything more ever being released in America. Apparently they only released the first 15 episodes on DVD and then stopped. I've heard an Australian company may pick it up and release the rest or actually are going to.

Here's the thing, from what I researched I can't find anything more ever being released in America. Apparently they only released the first 15 episodes on DVD and then stopped. I've heard an Australian company may pick it up and release the rest or actually are going to.

Oh damn, I forgot that part. I remember watching all of the episodes years back on VIZMedia's official youtube actually. I don't know why they took them down though. >>

I’m personally okay with going on thirdparty sites like watchcartoononline, and that’s where I go to find the English dub ones in okay quality.

But if you’d like to watch it legally/buy the episodes though, I’ve just read up some posts/old news that they have episodes available for digital download on iTunes/Amazon. It might still be there?

EDIT: Looked up both on Amazon and Itunes and can't find anything for sale, damn.

Reading the manga is also a good alternative route though. The anime is pretty spot on adaptation with the manga for the most part actually.

Last edited:
And in five more years - SILMARILLION: THE QUADRILOGY.

PETER JACKSON ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR 72-PART MOVIE OF THE SILMARILLION

Seriously, @Gilrond is right; Christopher Tolkien and the Estate have no interest whatsoever in making a film licensing deal, and even less in making a deal involving Peter Jackson. The only reason Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit got made is JRR himself sold the movie rights to those titles alone, 45 years ago.

The Silmarillion might be better suited to television, which does not suffer from the need to cut valuable content to fit Procrustes' film cans. But the present management of the Estate will not allow anything of the kind.

Last edited:
Rewatching Monster. An oddity of an anime, with great English dub. Even if you are not interested in anime, it’s still a good recommend because it actually takes a lot of influence from western narrative tropes and is set in Germany in the late 80s. (Actually it takes a lot of influence from Hitchcock).

Also it is one of the few anime I know where every face is drawn different, and are not a cast full of teenagers trying to save the world. It is also one of the few stories where I actually root for the protagonists trying to do good because unlike in a video game, where a lawful good hypocrite will still kill enemies, the characters are everyday folk who are forced into situations to that test their moral boundaries, and despite it all continue to persevere. Also it has a lot of interesting side characters, that can have a jump leap in character development and when it happens, there are too many feels.

You will probably know that you will like it when you start to watching the first 30 episodes and realized that you've wasted your whole day. Biggest critique of it though, is that the characters can sound pretty melodramatic at some points, and the story will eventually drag on too much after episode 55. (It is over 70 episdoes long, btw)

And this OST! *swoon*
*snip

One of the best suspension I ever watched and read. Naoki Urasawa is a master.
I'd recommenced watching it English Subbed. Johan is very terrifying and a very likeable character at the same time. I have yet to see an antagonist which is subtle and dangerous as him.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom