Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Don't twist what he said. He said that the writing was GOOD and that the Iron Bull Scene was just an outlier. There is a difference.
Listen, princess. I didn't twist anything, I added a comment that saying the writing was better than that cringe-worthy clip isn't saying a whole lot.

You really need to calm down about people criticizing the game. We're going to give the good with the bad, that's just the way it is.

Okay, guys, deep breaths.

And Corma is right, TB said he finds the writing to be good, period. Not better when compared to the Iron Bull scene.

Listen, princess. I didn't twist anything, I added a comment that saying the writing was better than that cringe-worthy clip isn't saying a whole lot.

You really need to calm down about people criticizing the game. We're going to give the good with the bad, that's just the way it is.

He said the overall writing was good not that it was better than the Iron Bull scene, so yes you made it sound different.

Here is what he said

Yes I've seen the hilarious "Ride the Bull" dialogue. So far that's very much an outlier, writing good otherwise

Saying writing is good while something else is an outlier is saying that the rest of the writing is better than the iron bull part, firstly. Yes that isn't what he said specifically, but it can be taken that way. Second, ever heard of the Cheerleader Effect? Lol fitting.

An outlier's just that - something not indicative of the general quality. So no, it can't be taken that way. What it means is: "Writing is good, apart from the Iron Bull scene" not "Writing's not as bad as the Iron Bull scene." The first statement praises the witing, the second can be seen as a negative, which is not what is implied by TB's message.

Anyway, let's not argue semantics here, focus on the actual game.

An outlier's just that - something not indicative of the general quality. So no, it can't be taken that way. What it means is: "Writing is good, apart from the Iron Bull scene" not "Writing's not as bad as the Iron Bull scene."

Anyway, let's not argue semantics here, focus on the actual game.

I will from here on after one final point. First, if writing is good, but the iron bull scene is an outlier, in this context that is the same exact thing as saying the writing elsewhere is better than the iron bull. The difference is he wasn't just saying it was better, he was also saying it was good in general.

Second:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cheerleader effect

Apply this here and it explains why the statement alone to me is dubious. That's all I have to say. Out.

edit: Wait, wrong effect. Here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ugly Friend Effect

Last edited:
There's a bit of a logical leap somewhere in there.

Anyway, at this point, I've decided to wait for LPs so I can see certain things for myself, check if I should even buy the game. I just feel like BioWare have taken a direction I personally dislike enough so that DA:I's objective quality is almost irrelevant as to whether I'll enjoy it or not.

Yea, at this point people may as well just accept that it's not the dragon age they were expecting and try to enjoy it for what it is, if they still plan on getting it. I was hoping for more of an rpg this time, but it sounds like there's still some fun to be had. Dragon battles and such for one. The fun just probably won't be in the areas I was expecting. I'll probably go ahead and snag this on the 18th after all, since I got Farcry for free. So if the game ends up being a bust, or only good for a single playthrough, then I won't lose much. May as well right? Not much else out there anyway till 2015.

And the knight commander thing at least sounds cool. Coolest thing I've heard about so far, assuming it works the way I'm imagining it. I'm hoping though that it's a blade for your mage to hold and not fable style where blades float around you. Still probably going with necromancer first though.

There's a bit of a logical leap somewhere in there.

Anyway, at this point, I've decided to wait for LPs so I can see certain things for myself, check if I should even buy the game. I just feel like BioWare have taken a direction I personally dislike enough so that DA:I's objective quality is almost irrelevant as to whether I'll enjoy it or not.

I feel the same way... Even if I can imagine the general writing is "better" than what I had to suffer in Dragon Age 2, the question that remains is what portion of the game will be worth say $20 or less (cause I wouldnt pay full price for this). Aside from the 50 hours fetch-quest-marathon(which I have absolutely NO INTEREST IN) , is there somewhere in the "main game", something which "I" could enjoy as an cool experience? It is deep enough to welcome replayability?

Only if I can see the first 10 15 hours of a Lets Play I think I can weigh an informed decision. The sad part is that I dont trust Bioware anymore regarding the quality that I value. Im certain that Im outside their target audience.

I feel the same way... Even if I can imagine the general writing is "better" than what I had to suffer in Dragon Age 2, the question that remains is what portion of the game will be worth say $20 or less (cause I wouldnt pay full price for this). Aside from the 50 hours fetch-quest-marathon, is there somewhere in the "main game", something which "I" could enjoy as an cool experience? It is deep enough to welcome replayability?

Only if I can see the first 10 15 hours of a Lets Play I think I can weigh an informed decision. The sad part is that I dont trust Bioware anymore regarding the quality that I value. Im certain that Im outside their target audience.

The story is said to pick up after 10-15 hours, so it might be worth it to check the first few hours of an LP, but then also compare it to episodes that are further in, as seeing the start alone might not be indicative of what the rest of the story's going to be like. That's what I'm planning to do, anyway, although I suspect I'll just end up watching the full LP and not bother with the game at all.

I think the consensus is that it’s a pretty decent game, but with some caveats, given the similarity in the points brought forward in the more critical reviews.
But let’s face it, with Original Sin released half a year ago, other RPG’s months away and AC Unity a mess, there’s no other remotely comparable new RPG / open world game available right now. Even if Far Cry 4 is a really good title, it’s modern-era shootery stuff.
For fantasy RPG fans, DA:I is as good as it gets right now. For some, it will be a classic. For others, an enjoyable if flawed game like so many others . And some will hate it for what it represents to them (the decline of BioWare, style over substance, dumbing down etc.).

I think the consensus is that it’s a pretty decent game, but with some caveats, given the similarity in the points brought forward in the more critical reviews.
But let’s face it, with Original Sin released half a year ago, other RPG’s months away and AC Unity a mess, there’s no other remotely comparable new RPG / open world game available right now. Even if Far Cry 4 is a really good title, it’s modern-era shootery stuff.
For fantasy RPG fans, DA:I is as good as it gets right now. For some, it will be a classic. For others, an enjoyable if flawed game like so many others . And some will hate it for what it represents to them (the decline of BioWare, style over substance, dumbing down etc.).

Sad truth. I'm an FPS fan and Farcry is the shit, but I need some sort of RPG, and unfortunately when it comes to rpgs with customization and such, this is all the gaming industry can muster for 2014.

Sad truth. I'm an FPS fan and Farcry is the shit, but I need some sort of RPG, and unfortunately when it comes to rpgs with customization and such, this is all the gaming industry can muster for 2014.

There's one big 'if' I have to add, and that's the Xbox360 and PS3 versions. There are no reviews of those versions yet, and I hope that doesn't indicate anything fishy. Because it would be very easy for those versions to 'sell' on the basis of the next-gen and PC reviews, yet disappoint in terms of performance, graphics etc.

There's one big 'if' I have to add, and that's the Xbox360 and PS3 versions. There are no reviews of those versions yet, and I hope that doesn't indicate anything fishy. Because it would be very easy for those versions to 'sell' on the basis of the next-gen and PC reviews, yet disappoint in terms of performance, graphics etc.

BioWare should have just skipped last gen. A chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Well, dragon age seems to be an epic fantasy (a tolkienesque one), while after the darker fantasy of GoT and TW i got to dislike this more colourful theme, for the fact that I like rpg genre and that DA:I got positive reviews, I'll get him a chance even if I buy it only after about 3 months (I really need to finish risen 3 and dark souls 2)

I am sooooooooooo excited ugh I need to play this game so badly.

Also why is everyone taking the Iron Bull scene so seriously? It was meant to be funny but y'all are judging it as if it's some super serious shit. I thought it was funny and awkward, and I'm assuming that's how it was meant to be.

edit: also i've heard lots of people mention that after the 15 hour mark the game really picks up. it was looking awesome already to me so now i'm super hyped. Come on 21st i need you to be here already

Last edited:
Well, dragon age seems to be an epic fantasy (a tolkienesque one), while after the darker fantasy of GoT and TW i got to dislike this more colourful theme, for the fact that I like rpg genre and that DA:I got positive reviews, I'll get him a chance even if I buy it only after about 3 months (I really need to finish risen 3 and dark souls 2)

I wouldn't so much call it Tolkienesque as D&D-esque, though DA:O did have some Tolkienish elements, some of them indirectly by way of the Jackson movies, some perhaps direct. But that appears to be largely erased now. All chances of it evolving into a 'mature' and somewhat believable fantasy setting is pretty much gone I reckon.

Ah well, sometimes you want a hamburger with fries, sometimes you want something more elaborate. As long as there is a mix - for every DA:I a Witcher III, for every Original Sin* a Pillars of Eternity - I can live with it.

* I'm referring to the silly humor and standard fantasy setting, not the game's combat and other systems.

Top Bottom