TW3 Save game import

+
I agree with the two commenters above me, a question/answer screen before you begin might be useful if they did not want to go the dragon age keep way, which in fact might be better for them.
As there are numerous reasons why people would not have their save games anymore. I hope they do make a comment on it though, would be nice to see some sort of confirmation.

That'd be the best thing IMO.

"Do you want to import previously made decisions?" => Yes/No
If Yes => Start decision-programm.
Then they ask you about all the major decisions. Who did you kill? Which path did you choose? Which decisions did you make?

One question though: Why don't you just buy it on PC?
According to CDPR mid-range graphic cards can play the game without any problems.
Times change and now I really to prefer sitting on my couch to play a huge RPG like TW3. Besides I have no desktop PC anymore.

I used Dragon Age Keep already. I'm not that happy about the fact you can't import savegames (seriously it can't be that hard to get every important information out of save files you designed that have just a few hundred kb), but I like the cross platform approach of it.

Last edited:
Times change and now I really to prefer sitting on my couch to play a huge RPG like TW3. Besides I have no desktop PC anymore.

I used Dragon Age Keep already. I'm not that happy about the fact you can't import savegames (seriously it can't be that hard to get every important information out of save files you designed that have just a few hundred kb), but I like the cross platform approach of it.

Well, to each their own.
I am just a PC gamer at heart.
I couldn't live without Steam Sales, Turn Based Strategy Games (like Civ) and Mouse&Keyboard.

i don't care about pc vs console, i just choose the most optimal, superior, price/value set up and that is pc. end of story

Can someone sum up for me

-What stuff I can import(any stuff from Witcher 1?)
-Will it have any impact whatsoever.

I'm excited for this game but really really worried about the save import stuff. Some of the decisions would affect a Nilfgaardian invasion heavily but I doubt they'd change the game that much to suit individual player choice

CDPR is not BioWare. Even though TW2 did have a slight save import feature, it was largely worthless. You were able to get Raven's armor as well as your two Witcher blades from TW1. No choices were imported whatsoever from the first game. Those were largely worthless because they were such low level and they didn't have enough slots to upgrade them to be useful in the later game.

Now if this talk is true about Letho fighting alongside Geralt in TW3, then at the very least the ending of TW2 will affect the world state of TW3. An equivalent to the Dragon Age Keep would be nice for CDPR, but that's a lot of work and TW3 is an incredibly ambitious and massive undertaking already. If there is a save import, I'm not expecting it will be anywhere as comprehensive as a BioWare title.

CDPR tries to make their titles as standalone as possible and having a save import just makes it difficult for newcomers to enjoy the experience if they missed so many choices.

I think allowing players to make their choices in the beginning of the story (when there is no import) makes the most sense. There's probably seven big choices from the Witcher 2 that could have serious consequences on The Witcher 3.

(1) Does Aryan La Vallette live or die? (2) Do you go with Iroveth or Roche? (3a) Does Stennis live or die? (3b) Does Henselt live or die? (4a) Does Geralt rescue Triss or Phillippa? (4b) Does Geralt Rescue Triss or Anais? (5) Does Sile de Tansarville live or die? (6) Is Saskia free, bewitched or dead? (7) Does Letho live or die?

You get a couple of sentences describing the situation and then make the choice you feel is appropriate. Maybe have Dandelion narrate the choices to the player or something. It could also be done through conversation with someone in the prologue I suppose. I do think the answers to each of these questions is important, as they change the geopolitical nature of the Northern Kingdoms. While the story of the Witcher 3 will likely be less political and more personal to Geralt, the world he is in will have been hugely effected by prior events. That needs to be reflected in game somehow. The whole thing would take like 5 minutes.

Here's a question, if its already been answered somewhere else I'd like a quote or a link. :)

Will Insane playthroughs where Geralt is alive be importable? (The exact file I'm referring to is the Auto-Save file that is created after the confrontation with Letho is settled). Or not, because the unique strings/registries,etc make it impossible?

Same question goes for a Dark difficulty saved game import.

I appreciate any answers/help on this question!

Edit: I should point out that my question is a technical question, and not a question of content that will be imported. Simply if Insane & Dark Difficulty save-files will be readable/importable by/into TW3.

Last edited:
You're either misinformed or lying, but you're wrong either way.

I stand corrected. My point still stands, however, that the "choices" that were imported were merely gratuitous and very minor. There were some alterations by CDPR, especially with the EE, but otherwise (as I said before) the main items were the weapons and the armor. None of the choices in TW1 remotely impacted anything major about TW2. That will likely change as the TW2's choices will impact TW3 quite a bit, similar to save imported choices from BioWare games.

I hope CDPR learns a lot from Bioware in this respect ME3 felt very impactful and now DA:I even more so. They did a very clever job of having a game stand on it's own but still have import choice that feel very meaningful.

sadly it seems we won't get a real save game import but that doesn't surprise me the save import in TW 2 was shit didn't have any consequences and now its the same
even though Geralt basically decided the fates of entire countries
decisions don't mean shit in the TW series

Savedata from PC -> PS4 (Consoles)

Hey,

will it be possible to transfer Savefiles from TW2 on PC to TW3 on PS4/XBONE ?

It would be really awesome!! Then I could enjoy the game first on consoles then on PC.

Hey,

will it be possible to transfer Savefiles from TW2 on PC to TW3 on PS4/XBONE ?

It would be really awesome!! Then I could enjoy the game first on consoles then on PC.

Most likely not ,however, we can expect some ingame choices system. Now real question is if you can affect ingame situation same with save and without him. We will see sir!

I would really like to have something like the Dragon Age Keep. It's easily the best feature of the whole game (although it's not really a part of the game)...

Top Bottom