New interview CP2077 - venturebeat.com

+
New interview CP2077 - venturebeat.com

So...

Main theme of this interview was "we don't talk about it" (he he).

Nonetheless:

CP2077

How CDPR assigns artists between two main projects?

(...) some artists in the studio are better at creating firearms, while some are better at swords. That defines whether they are working on the Witcher core team or the Cyberpunk core team. Other artists, such as lighting experts, are working across both projects.

How big is CP2077 team?

(...)"it is changing,” according to Platkow-Gilewski. “There were probably around 50 people, 60 people, but then a lot of people came to work on Cyberpunk, but they are, like, for two projects [Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3].”

Team working on game is quite diverse:

(...)"The Cyberpunk team is truly international and right now in the company we have people from more than 20 countries, probably. The last time I checked there was 19, but since then a lot of new people have moved in.”

One year from now devs will be able to talk about the game.

I asked one last time if he’d share some more about the mysterious Cyberpunk project: “One day I will. In one year we can meet and talk about that.”

Teaser trailer

Teaser trailer was created, because CDPR was looking for people to work on a game:

"Yes, we needed people for Cyberpunk,” said Platkow-Gilewski. “I think that was the best recruitment announcement you can possibly imagine — and one of the most expensive as well. It worked, yeah.

Style of the trailer is very static due to the lack of time and human resources.

“We had an extremely talented guy working on it: Maciej Jackiewicz,” said marketing manager Olga Cyganiak. “Because Tomac [Bagiński] was the director, but then he was also involved in another project for The Witcher, and that was going at the same time. Actually, almost one guy created all of it. That’s why there’s no animation. It’s very static because he had no more hands.”

There was no game assets at the time, so artstyle was based on drawings from PnP.

CD Projekt Red had no game assets to work from, just a concept. “They had only the sketches from the [pen-and-paper] role-playing games and nothing else,” said Cyganiak, “so we had to create the world. It’s from the ’90s, right, the game and we had to put it like — you have to have this ’90s feel, but then it has to be futuristic.”

Because of the overwhelmingly positive reaction trailer kinda set tone for game style

“That was the problem,” said Cyganiak. “We’ve created something and they used it actually for raising money for the project and for hiring people. That was the purpose of it — to make people interested in it.”

“That was an awfully big risk that CD Projekt took,” said Cyganiak. “They asked us for a cinematic with no visual references for the game. In my opinion, they have to match a bit the cinematic.”

Lady from the CGI will not be featured in the game.

They said that the woman won’t be in the game,” said Cyganiak. “That’s only for the cinematic.”

Source

It's upsetting to me that they're not acknowledging the fact that it wasn't simply a recruitment trailer, it was an announcement trailer to a bigger audience of future fans, fans who have now been waiting almost three years to hear something - anything - about the project since even before that initial trailer after it's announcement all the way back in 2012. I'd settle for a single new piece of concept art at this fucking point, even if it was a simple shot of a potential environment, hell I'd take a corridor shot to fill up all this quiet.

And now they're giving indications that they won't even talk about new details for another year?

Very annoying.

I never had any problems with the trailer... if I remember correctly it was what made me start searching this game out, and eventually finding this forum. I have close to always liked the cyberpunk thing, and every now and then I would go around looking for what was around online.

I think I was already aware of the game... but at that time the reason I went on a general cyberpunk search was partly because I had really liked Deus Ex Human Revolution a few years befor... so I went to youtube and searched cyberpunk... at which point I found and saw the trailer... I was pretty instantly hooked. So I guess it did it's job with fans to, atleast with me anyway. XD

Last edited:
I liked the trailer.
Even if it's not the exact art that will be in the final game it still indicates what they have in mind.
The cyberware and firearms looked realistic, BIG plus from my perspective (no anime grossly oversized weaponry).
The music hit the "tone" I'd expect from a CyberPunk setting.

Another fucking year!? Bloody hell CDPR...

I'd think it would be good to show the direction they intend to take, story bits, game concepts, anything at all so they can get a reaction from the broader public outside the studio. Goddamn I hate their PR anymore.

Whoah. Okay, last I heard, Iwin said they wouldn't talk about CP2077 until after the DLC for W3 are all out. They are releasing the DLC one per week for 16 weeks.

Witcher 3 comes out February 24. Do some math, (which I'm surprised none of you have done yet, especially since I bragged to my mods that you were easily quick enough to do this when Iwin talked about the DLC release times), and you'll realise we can look forward to news on 2077 sometime late June. Seven plus months away, roughly.

That's not too long. I wouldn't be half surprised to see some news late May, even, since that could well renew interest in CDPR and the DLC as well.

I took it as just being that interviews with people like him would be in about a year, rather than no news at all. Which would sound about right.
I'd expect the more formal PR to start around E3.

Forum veteran
The first rule of 2077 is that you don't talk about 2077.
The second rule of 2077 is that you DO NOT talk about 2077.

It's like if Fight Club made a game.

It's upsetting to me that they're not acknowledging the fact that it wasn't simply a recruitment trailer, it was an announcement trailer to a bigger audience of future fans, fans who have now been waiting almost three years to hear something - anything - about the project since even before that initial trailer after it's announcement all the way back in 2012. I'd settle for a single new piece of concept art at this fucking point, even if it was a simple shot of a potential environment, hell I'd take a corridor shot to fill up all this quiet.

And now they're giving indications that they won't even talk about new details for another year?

It would indeed be nice to have a hint about the general idea behind their intended design so as to narrow down the wildly - to put it mildly - polarized ideas that are floating around; from Arma meets GTA V meets Mirrors Edge to Fallout meets Planescape Torment meets CP2020 ruleset nigh verbatim, from finetuned hardline FPS combat to turnbased and tactical pause, from pure freeform world simulation to statbased gameplay.

I know my idea about what an optimal CP2077 cRPG should be is not among the most popular here, but what can one do but post stuff that would best suit ones tastes. It would be nice to be able to adjust and forward ones ideas and (possible) criticisms towards something that can be expected at least on some level and weed out/rearrange things that certainly are out of place.

They'll speak when they're ready to speak, but it's a pretty confusing community out here coming from the somewhat confusing tidbits and breadcrumbs of info that is given so far.

"If this is your first time on the forums, you HAVE to ask if it's an MMO."

I'm hoping we don't get to the part: "I wanted to destroy something beautiful."
If you catch my drift.

Last edited:
Carification would be nice, but like I said, I'll settle for anything at this point.

Give me concept art of a sewer level for all I care, just give me something, it's been three years.

You can have a good idea of the game by looking at the original PnP, the main mysteries remains to know how it will play, and which kind of art direction they will go with this one (IMO, if they follow the trailer's line, it would be some kind of crossover between Blade Runner and Ghost In The Shell, which would be fine with me).

Top Bottom