Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
I vaguely recall something along these lines having been mentioned in the Q&A video from a few months ago, but it's better to just keep on waiting for definitive official word on this and all other things alchemy-related at this point.

I think it would make sense that an herbalist could make regular healing/buffing potions, just maybe not as strong as the ones brewed by the witchers.

IMO, it seems like mutagens are potions with permanent effects and permanent toxicity (until unequipped), but consumable potions temporarily increase toxicity whilst they take effect / are used. The way the devs explained it, i got the impression that alchemy ingredients are used to upgrade the potions ( eg 50 herbs for level 2), but the actual uses are refiled upon meditating by a campfire.

By the way, the now fairly old Q&A session I mentioned earlier 'confirmed' that you will be able to purchase not the potions themselves but the recipes for potions at vendors.
Uncertain if that's still the case, of course.

Potion System

Anyone know what the actual potion system will be like for Witcher 3 ? All reviews are vague and the search yields nothing of value.
i hope to God its not the same as TW2....that potion system was just irritating...

Anyone know what the actual potion system will be like for Witcher 3 ? All reviews are vague and the search yields nothing of value.
i hope to God its not the same as TW2....that potion system was just irritating...
We don't have a clear picture so far. Buuut...

A few weeks ago one of the Reds opened a thread and invited us to write questions we would like to be answered. That thread has since closed and the community manager who opened it (EvilChris) is working on getting the answers from the developers.

One matter that was repeated by several different members was the alchemy system. So it's possible that when the answers return (there's no date - it could be tomorrow, it could be a week, it could be more), the alchemy system may be better explained.

Specifically about your worry - I take it you didn't like the inability to drink potions during combat? If that's the case, I think in TW3 you have that option again. Jump to 23:18--

You see Geralt replenishing his potions. In the werewolf fight that follows you see the number of the potions going down - so apparently the player used them, though without any animation (boo!).

It wasn't 'drinking' a potion though. Only metabolising an already 'active' potion (as for example when sprinter's use their stored Glycogen and Triglyceride reserves (in the inefficient Lactic breakdown mode) to produce bursts of energy, in excess of that sustainable... they don't have a meal animation on the start line before they start running...

It wasn't 'drinking' a potion though. Only metabolising an already 'active' potion (as for example when sprinter's use their stored Glycogen and Triglyceride reserves (in the inefficient Lactic breakdown mode) to produce bursts of energy, in excess of that sustainable... they don't have a meal animation on the start line before they start running...

I'm confused by the analogy, I'm just going to pin it down to general stupidity on my behalf...

However how does that stop Geralt from requiring some kind of drinking animation when he meditates?

I have practically no issues with the Metabolism system (I assumed it got scrapped), but there still needs to be a bloody animation when he meditates to show that he's actually ingested the damn thing. You can't magically have Swallow in your veins if you haven't actually drunk a potion to 'store' it. Just seems as ridiculous quite frankly and doesn't make me feel any better about the new potion system. Both previous games had the common sense to show when Geralt actually drunk a potion, whether someone personally found TW2's way of doing it annoying and slow is up to them, but at least it was there... To entirely remove drinking animations would be really, really disappointing.

I understand the whole meditation/alchemical system I mean it makes sense you cant make a potion while running, however i want to know if you can ingest any potion without meditating, it was possible in TW1 then impossible in TW2.

Thank you for the you tube link Eliharel seeing the game play makes me more excited to play !!! cant effing wait XD

however i want to know if you can ingest any potion without meditating, it was possible in TW1 then impossible in TW2.

Yes. (Not all potions though)

From what we can tell it's one of 2 scenarios.

1. When you meditate you "drink" the potion, and then you have 3/3 uses in which you can activate at any time
2. You have 3/3 uses of a potion and you "drink" it at any time.

There's also Mutagenic Potions which you can only consume whilst meditating, they provide bigger bonuses, much higher toxicity and last until you cancel them while meditating. So some potions will be ones you can consume at any time (or you have to "preload" when you meditate and then can activate at any time) and then others can ONLY be ingested/cancelled whilst meditating.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.
To use a potion one must first buy or find a receipt, then gather the ingredients and then craft them during meditation. So far, so good.
Lets say one crafts Swallow. One then gets one bottle of Swallow added to his inventory, which can be drunk during combat (or at any time one wishes) and used three times (meaning that Geralt is drinking one third of the bottle each time). The effect is timed. Once the the three drinks have been taken and the bottle is empty, one can refill the bottle by using the exact same amount of ingredients like the first time (provided one still has the receipt in his inventory, otherwise the potion won't appear in menu). But if the bottle is not completely empty, but lets say 2/3 filled, then one only needs one third amount of ingredients like the first time to refill it. Completely empty bottles can also be filled with only one or two third amount if there are not enough ingredients in the inventory.
Then there are mutagens, which can only be found and are not for sale and can only be activated during meditation. These mutagens have a higher toxicity, but lend tronger effects. They are also timed, but can be halted in meditation mode. Since potions can be drunk anytime, these mutagens make preperation before combat useful.

Is this correct or did I misunderstood something?

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.
To use a potion one must first buy or find a receipt, then gather the ingredients and then craft them during meditation. So far, so good.
Lets say one crafts Swallow. One then gets one bottle of Swallow added to his inventory, which can be drunk during combat (or at any time one wishes) and used three times (meaning that Geralt is drinking one third of the bottle each time). The effect is timed. Once the the three drinks have been taken and the bottle is empty, one can refill the bottle by using the exact same amount of ingredients like the first time (provided one still has the receipt in his inventory, otherwise the potion won't appear in menu). But if the bottle is not completely empty, but lets say 2/3 filled, then one only needs one third amount of ingredients like the first time to refill it. Completely empty bottles can also be filled with only one or two third amount if there are not enough ingredients in the inventory.
Then there are mutagens, which can only be found and are not for sale and can only be activated during meditation. These mutagens have a higher toxicity, but lend tronger effects. They are also timed, but can be halted in meditation mode. Since potions can be drunk anytime, these mutagens make preperation before combat useful.

Is this correct or did I misunderstood something?

Mutagens/Mutagenic Potions are not timed, at least that I know. You can activate them and they last until you "deactivate" or replace them with another mutagenic potion during meditation.

Also as far as I know the whole metabolism thing is off the table. They did just replace it by making Geralt being able to swallow potions (except mutagens/mutagenic potions though) during combat and each potion has 3 uses and has to be equipped before combat to be able to swallow them during combat (so some kind of preparation is definitely needed, you can't just open the inventory and swallow a potion, you have to drag the potion from the inventory to your potion bag/belt/slot (much like the bombs in TW2))

The rest is pretty much spot on except that I did never hear anyone mentioning the fact that an empty bottle can be re-filled with less and the fact that we are not even remotely sure that this is the system they went with in the end since we haven't been hearing anything about alchemy in the last months. All we know is that this version that you described would be the ideal version.

Also agreed that a drinking animation is needed no matter what.

Last edited:
Mutagens/Mutagenic Potions are not timed, at least that I know. You can activate them and they last until you "deactivate" or replace them with another mutagenic potion during meditation.

Also as far as I know the whole metabolism thing is off the table. They did just replace it by making Geralt being able to swallow potions (except mutagens/mutagenic potions though) during combat and each potion has 3 uses and has to be equipped before combat to be able to swallow them during combat (so some kind of preparation is definitely needed, you can't just open the inventory and swallow a potion, you have to drag the potion from the inventory to your potion bag/belt/slot (much like the bombs in TW2))

The rest is pretty much spot on except that I did never hear anyone mentioning the fact that an empty bottle can be re-filled with less and the fact that we are not even remotely sure that this is the system they went with in the end since we haven't been hearing anything about alchemy in the last months. All we know is that this version that you described would be the ideal version.

Also agreed that a drinking animation is needed no matter what.

Are you sure the Metabolic thing is a separate design from what we know? The impression I always got was that Geralt ingests the potion during meditation and then manipulates his metabolism to unleash the effect during combat. That would also explain the lack of drinking animations.

Top Bottom