Mens Lounge

+

Attachments

• alien-vs-predator_o_287241.jpg
    alien-vs-predator_o_287241.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 34
AvP should die in a fire. Or at least given a good game.
AvP and AvP 2 are considered to be very good games, they are quite old though. The movies sucked but it's in the comic books where that universe truly comes alive. I highly recommend them.

Tweaked me back last night (well this morning really) shifting a concrete sleeper, feels soar as a fucker, anybody got any good low impact exercises for the lower back? I've used RICE and I stink o Deep Heat, but I feel a bit of light exercise might do better. Definitely gonna lay off deadlifts and bent over rows for a while, but did a few chin ups and they felt good and stretchy. Cheers.

Definitely gonna lay off deadlifts and bent over rows for a while, but did a few chin ups and they felt good and stretchy. Cheers.

Pullups, chins, bicep pull ups, all good, but when I have a sore back, which I often do, I find deadlifts, done with perfect form, actually make it feel a lot better. Try low weight, low reps at first, but I've pulled 300+ and actually felt a lot better afterwards.

You might also try dips...both leaning a bit forward and leaning a bit back, with and without a weight belt.

Tweaked me back last night (well this morning really) shifting a concrete sleeper, feels soar as a fucker, anybody got any good low impact exercises for the lower back? I've used RICE and I stink o Deep Heat, but I feel a bit of light exercise might do better. Definitely gonna lay off deadlifts and bent over rows for a while, but did a few chin ups and they felt good and stretchy. Cheers.

Anything that takes weight off your lower back while exercising. Chin ups/pull ups for sure. If you have access to a swimming pool, get in deep enough and walk against the water.

(For us Yanks, "sleeper" = "railroad tie".)

Just sign up for the good gym. Gym instructors are there to help you with your workout, Ask for workout plan to build up strength, weight loss or gain mass/weight and do exactly what he says when it comes to diets and how many days you should actually workout and for how long.

I am certified personal trainer, and if anyone is serious about gym, PT sessions are the best to learn a lot quick and keep yourself motivated. Even free gym intructor advice are great.

Don't know what pull ups are but cheers, i'll try before I go to work tonight.

Pull ups use a pronated grip on the bar, hands facing out from you. They active more of the upper back than chin ups as well as triceps and biceps. Use a wide grip for even more lat action. Latissimus dorsi, which we abbreviate as lats, because we have to look it up every damn time.

Chin ups use a supinated, (palms towards you) grip and work a lot on the biceps, as well as the lats.

Bicep chins, or parallel chins, have you grip the bars so your palms are facing each other. It requires a specific-shape bar, though. Little easier and I start people on these.

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html for all your educational needs.

Note the section on low back recovery.

I also think it's worth emphasizing rest, but don't slack off. Engage the other areas of your body pretty steadily, or going back to the gym/heavy work after a few weeks off without some kind of deload or recovery work increases your chance of injury.

Cheers lads, apart from a little bit of spasming after I woke up this afternoon, me back's feeling a lot better. Never knew different holds on chin up bar had different names, we just called 'em all chin ups in forces. Thanks for advice Saoe but I did enough PT in army, and i've been weight training for thirty five years or so now.

Got weekend off now anyway so plenty of time to heal, thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

Edit: Pretty funny how I fucking whimpered when trying to lift me arms to bar a bit back, but hanging there for a few minutes seemed to do the trick.

Last edited:
Nowadays it's as I feel, lot of heavy lifting and exercise at work so I work out as I fancy, sometimes for reps and cardio, sometimes high impact low reps. Also depends how far i've walked dogs, especially when squatting, as all hills round my end build some good quads, calves and glutes. Started with a little old Weider bench and weight set ages ago and one on, one off, which I still like.

Edit: Got to admit when cold gets into me metal parts of me knees and arm I work out less, as they become too stiff and useless.

Edit: Got to admit when cold gets into me metal parts of me knees and arm I work out less, as they become too stiff and useless.

Yes, but you're a cyborg! Also, the cold doesn't seem to bother my titanium bits..are yours a fair bit old?

Have you checked out Wendler's 5/3/1? http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength This is for strength, not Teh Purty.

I like it a lot and have used it for years now, with steady growth. Delayed when I tore my bicep off, of course, and slowed by hernias, but other than that, steady number climb. Oh, and when I get tired of being big and swap diets and regimes for trail running...siigh. I really gotta stop doing that...anyway. 5/3/1.

The trick with 5/3/1 is the reset, when you plateau. That and the deload weeks. Those two things ensure you don't stay on a plateau for too long. Check it out!

Yeah metal bits are twenty plus years old, i'll try that when I need a change, cheers Sardukhar.

Anytime. And remember to record your progress - it's a pain, but it's really essential for when you start to stall and feel disheartened. But after decades, I'm sure you know that.

Of course, I've been doing this for decades also and I still hate writing down what I eat. Mutter.

Any one got tips for someone who is just starting? I am doing some (just starting >.>) basic fitness to loose some weight and increase my fitness. But if I could somehow combine the weight (fat) loss and gain a bit of muscle that would be great.

Any one got tips for someone who is just starting? I am doing some (just starting >.>) basic fitness to loose some weight and increase my fitness. But if I could somehow combine the weight (fat) loss and gain a bit of muscle that would be great.

Hardly possible, as far as I know. Fat loss is based on burning more calories than you ingest, while efficient muscle growth requires you to be well fed and have some calorie surplus. But as you intend to achieve both: Fat loss is easier when you already have some muscles because your basic energy consumption is higher and muscle growth is easier when you still have some fat on your ribs. So the most usual way to go is to put on mass and then tone it.

Not a pro at these things at all, so no guarantee on anything I say. ;)

@saoe & @Sardukhar are more qualified to anwer than me, as i'm not professional, but here's my starter tips: You can lose weight and gain muscle, though remember muscle weighs more than fat, but tape measure doesn't lie. Get a good mate to work out with so it's fun, challenge each other and get a friendly rivalry going. See if you can get an old gym rat to beast you and show you form, stretching and technique.

Edit: To lose weight start panting, lots of reps at low weight and cardio, get used to sweating and a lot of effort. You might think that other gym rats'll mock you for this, they won't, they'll approve of your grit. Personally for keeping light on me feet I like working on the heavy bag, dodge, weave, practise your footwork and keep your guard up and you'll work through some right bloody calories as well as stay flexible and fast.

Last edited:
Muscle mass, I meant. :p You feed well and grow muscles and some fat in the process. And afterwards you lose the fat again to get in proper shape.

Top Bottom