Flying Vehicles.

+
I can't think of a single game that's provided that kind of free form experience, it would essentially be the free roaming/flying vehicles elements from games like GTA and Saints Row, combined with the traversal and chase elements from the Assassins Creed franchise
I'd be wary of a game that was trying to do all of this.

True Crime: Streets of LA comes to mind. It wanted to have the best shooting mechanics on par with the best FPS / TPS games, the best fighting mechanics on par with the best beat-em-ups, and the best driving physics on par with the best racing games.

The result was... less than that.

Lofty goals aren't an indication of potential quality, one mans clusterfuck is not another mans potential clusterfuck.

Skyrim incorporated third person and first person action and traversal elements just fine, as have plenty of games in the past. It had stealth mechanics, fighting mechanics, player customization, traversal mechanics and with a couple mods it can do thousands of other things in one game.

I'd say there should be flying vehicles. But I'd also say that they should exist to a limited degree and not be something that is handed freely "when-ever/where-ever". And have it be something that also does serve some purpose and meaning beyond leisure, and of course it should be governed by a skill that the player needs to take care of.

In my mind, the player should need to achieve the privilege for these kinds of "cool(tm)" things in order to not casualize them but to keep them as interesting and valuable gameplay elements for as much as possible, some form of quid pro quo be it eurobucks or a task or what ever -- ie. not like cars and helicopters (etc) in GTA, where everything is quite mundane and effortless. It's more rewarding when you get to it if you have to work for it at least a bit, "That's cool but can I afford / am I up to this right now" rather than "I'll just go flying right now".

Fully agree with Kofe. Aerial vehicles should be a special treat and require unique training or skills. I just hope CDPR has the manpower to implement vehicles in the first place, in a dense city environment along with random NPCs. As time has passed, I can't imagine the game any other way.

Um..... flying vehicles are pretty ubiquitus in cyberpunk. Yes you need specific skill to fly one, but they should not be all that rare, certainly more common and easier to find an aircraft in Cyberpunk than in GTA. Of course piloting one and acting being able to aquire one are two different things...

Anyway, Futuristic GTA is still the best direction they can take this, crossed with a bit of fallout new vegas.

Commonly seen, yes. But not easily acquired nor used by the player. It's a gameplay balance/intrigue thing. Rather than saying "here's the world, go own it", say "here's the world, cope with it". That Night City is not just a virtual prop city to do what ever when ever, but a place that tries to be something more and demands things (effort, attention, ingenuity...) from the player before handing things out, and once handing those things out after they are earned, gives them a meaning beyond being merely an interactive trophy to toy around with at ones leisure.

Anyway, Futuristic GTA is still the best direction they can take this, crossed with a bit of fallout new vegas.

I disagree of course - to a certain degree. I wouldn't want the game to rightfully "earn" nicknames ("scifi GTA", "Scifi Arma", "Scifi Witcher", "Scifi Farcry", "Scifier Watchdogs"; or "GTA meets Fallout NV", "Arma meets Mirrors Edge meets Batman Arkham-whatever", etc). This is a big opportunity for CDPR to get inventive and try to do something that doesn't inherently copy other series' but does precisely its own thing the way it wants to do it for better or worse without blatantly flirting with this or that audience of some other popular mainstream game. Of course it is almost impossible to do something completely unique, but one can toy around with the design to make the game stand out from the crowd better (in contrast to - for example - what Saints Row, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead, and GTA are to eachother; or what Bound by Flame, Witcher, Risen, Lords of the Fallen, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Raven's Cry, Two Worlds and Dark Souls are to each other).

It is very rare these days to see any company to try out something that takes a step side from the commonly expected thus also offering an experience that (as a whole) isn't inherently or straight familiar from or comparable to other games doing the exact same overall thing.

Last edited:
Okay, sure, kofe, and I'd like that too...

but I'd also be okay with, "GTA meets Fallout NV" in the Cyberpunk 2020 world as a fallback. Oh yes I would. Flying around Night City in an AV-9, watching NCPD chase down a heist team through Chinatown, the locals unlimbering their own hardware to help or hinder, seeing Arasaka arrive by air as backup, then snatching one of their AV-4s for kicks...

Add a deep story and actual role-playing strengths to that, a la FNV or Witcher, and, yes, I'd be damn happy.

Last edited:
I honestly disagree Kofe, those terminologies will just be inevitable tbh, no matter what CDPR does.

I would be happy with cyberpunk GTA mixed with Fallout, but then again I'm a sucker for cyberpunk aesthetics and so I will buy anything triple A with cyberpunk as a selling point.
I think I would be happier if the game could stand on its own.

The best would be:
"OK here is ArmA/Gta/wtv, these are great ideas, now let's build upon that and do something better."

If you take the open world of GTA, you add the basic shooter mechanics of ArmA, and then you add a stealth system inspired by Hitman (but not as retarded as Hitman's), and then you add a dynamic economy so you can destroy other players via shorting their portfolio.
You cannot honestly say this is "ArmA meets GTA meets Hitman meets Capitalist II", just like you don't say GTA is "Sim Copter meets Driver meets Postal meets Conker Bad Fur Day".

I think just taking GTA as a starting point, and then simply pushing the enveloppe and stuffing it until it is about to burst like a ticking time bomb --- would be more then sufficient.

So at least in that sense I do agree with Kofe. I hope the game can be a trendsetter of its own.

Last edited:
Flying around Night City in an AV-9, watching NCPD chase down a heist team through Chinatown, the locals unlimbering their own hardware to help or hinder, seeing Arasaka arrive by air as backup, then snatching one of their AV-4s for kicks...

Add a deep story and actual role-playing strengths to that, a la FNV or Witcher, and, yes, I'd be damn happy.

I just came a little.....

I just came a little.....

Yeah. So did I.

Gonna be a loooong three years. And then..this?!

Or this?

I honestly disagree Kofe, those terminologies will just be inevitable tbh, no matter what CDPR does.

Some comparisons are inevitable, of course. There are elements that will inevitably be similiar to this or that other game because almost everything has been tried already. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the premise should be takng GTA or any game and then trying to figure out how to best copy and transfer it to Cyberpunk aesthetic. That if there are some similiarities (which there will), they come clearly as a sideproduct and clearly at the terms of the games own distinct design ideal, what the game tries to create as its own distinct core experience, rather than because "GTA does it". And in any case, there's a million different ways to design a game so there is plenty of room to wiggle about.

Some comparisons are inevitable, of course. There are elements that will inevitably be similiar to this or that other game because almost everything has been tried already. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the premise should be takng GTA or any game and then trying to figure out how to best copy and transfer it to Cyberpunk aesthetic. That if there are some similiarities (which there will), they come clearly as a sideproduct and clearly at the terms of the games own distinct design ideal, what the game tries to create as its own distinct core experience, rather than because "GTA does it". And in any case, there's a million different ways to design a game so there is plenty of room to wiggle about.
No one was saying that though?

We were simply using other titles as references to try to illustrate our points.

No one was saying that though?

We were simply using other titles as references to try to illustrate our points.

What points? That's kind of a problem with specific examples used as broad "something like that" cases. How much to read into the example if no specifics are given. What's coming out and to what end of - for example - "Futuristic GTA" but exactly what it says?

Anyways, this is the "flying vehicles" thread, so back on topic.
For now...

Last edited:
I see your point, kofeiinturpa, but I think most people understand what is meant when someone uses other game titles as a reference point. It's simply easier and more efficient to communicate that way. It obviously isn't enough for anything too in-depth, but it gets the point across fairly well.

GTA V has the best balance I've found between a realistic simulator type feel and a "game-y" or "arcade-y" type feel (in this case with flying, but also a number of other things). I enjoyed the flying in Saints Row 3 (haven't played 4, though I've been told it is no different), but it felt very "game-y" and float-y. Almost like I was piloting a simulated RC vehicle. I enjoyed flying in Just Cause 2 when I finally got used to the controls. It didn't have the same "float-y" feel, but it still felt noticeably "game-y", and despite getting used to the controls, they never felt completely natural. The one helicopter I was able to fly in GTA IV wasn't too bad, but GTA V is a better model now.

Ideally, I'd like the vehicles to control like they do in GTA V, but with the cyberpunk coat of paint. Maybe CDPR can find a fresh new way of doing it that works even better than anything I can think of. That would be great, but I don't know what that would be. I don't get paid enough to figure that sort of stuff out.

Sorry if something I said didn't make sense. I'm still a little high. But I read over this post like a thousand times so I think it's okay.

Vehicle control and activation in GTA is too seamless, too video gamey for me. I prefer that sense of engagement when I fired up a Mech in Mechwarrior 3 - drives come on line, engine rumbles up, you can almost feel the traction kick in.

Tough to do that without letting it get tedious, but then again, stealing vehicles en masse is a thing in GTA and it should be a lot less common in Cyberpunk - way more dangerous, to start with.

Ah, that's true. Didn't even occur to me. What you described sounds pretty great actually, and I think it can be done without being tedious. If the player gets in a vehicle and it takes 5-10 seconds of just waiting before being controllable, then yeah, that would probably become pretty tedious. If they had a few bells and whistles going off that made the experience feel more visceral and engaging, then I could see it being a lot of fun.

I also agree that vehicles shouldn't be as common as they are in GTA V (since the point of GTA V was the vehicles, whereas that's not strictly the case in CP), but I didn't mean to imply that in my post (if I did).

I think comparaisons are very apt.

It's more the philosophy and intent that matters.

If it had the physics of Gran Turismo, it would be great.But of course GT has no flying vehicles, but the intent ( realistic simulation) I think should be the same. Yeah, I know since flying cars essentially don't exist and so some of the rules will be arbitrary, but still, I hope you get my drift (hilarious pun intended).

Last edited:
Top Bottom