Please cut crafting out or at least severly limit it in W3

+
I think there is no need to cut crafting, but there is need to maximize its potential as a fun system, and that, includes challenges, and rules to follow.

The thing that makes a game a game, and not a toy, is that you have X chance of failing at doing whatever it is you want, and that there are consistent rules and limits that let you understand how to interact with it for changing your experience.

The beginning to make the best crafting and item collection system possible, is naturally, making what you're doing most of the time fun/engaging/interesting, and it comes imo before balance, before lore, before immersion, and other things as well.

Fun is not something so complex that it always needs to appear as a result from deep examples like big quests with stories or a massive boss fight, It can come from an extremely simple thing, as long as it is built with the right psychology in mind.

I like the subject but im a bit tired to put the huge wall of text I'd want to, so excuse me and let me put this example that I think makes my point a bit:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, for those that didnt play it, is a game (FPS/bit of ARPG), where you can pick up these weird items, referred to as Artifacts, that are beneficial to you one way or another, to use them, sell them, give them as a quest item, etc.

These cant be mixed or used to craft something, but after reading almost all posts here, the main problem stated is obviously and clearly that of how the things you need for crafting to work can get boring and repetitive, worthless, and not that of the act of crafting itself, so the example still applies I believe.

Your Artifacts have limitations, such as how many you can use in your armor's belt at the same time, and the main one, how do you protect yourself from the different levels of radiation each emanates, you can use drugs and some armor, but the best by far, are special Artifacts that neutralize X amount of radiation, instead of adding more. This is not just a "beneficial or neutral" binary state, this is a "beneficial or I die" state, which makes the player happily a victim of one of the most common game design tools ever used to create fun and interesting choices and dilemmas: low risk/low reward vs big risk/big reward. In the sequels, some artifacts actually have both, beneficial effects and negative ones, forcing you to balance and sacrifice aspects even more.

Now to the fundamental part, the simplest way in which these Artifacts are gathered, apart from buying and getting them as rewards and etc, much like ingredients and loot in RPGs, is by just picking them up in the game world, but unlike herbs and loot chests, there is a catch here:
Artifacts "inhabit" dangerous zones known as Anomalous Areas, which are extremely dangerous and often lethal, requiring gear, player skill, stats, knowledge of the lore, knowledge of the systems, dexterity and more, to even survive searching the artifacts, which not only you can never be sure there are some, but also a lot of times you dont really know how they look like, and what are their effects prior to getting one.

This makes collecting the items immensely satisfying in comparison to any normal RPG that lets you just pick up stuff with no problem or rules, or that gives you the items with other already repeated systems in place, like more quests, more combat, etc.
To get these things you have to learn to navigate the area, neutralize radiation or other effects, carry health items in case of mistakes, make sure you are not followed by enemies from afar, know the dangers of each anomaly and how it behaves, and its all for that, for the Artifacts, its not something you end up doing anyway or for other reasons, again, unlike quests.

So the point is very simple, just make the core conceptual act of gathering items, and even combining them, fun or interesting or exciting or all at the same time, gathering an item isnt the monsters you defeat before, and neither the story that is told around, its just moving your char with the WASD keys and clicking once while barely aiming at the item, the core mechanics, the operative actions, and that is what needs to have challenge, uncertainty, C&C, and be fun

Later we can worry about other problems.

Last edited:
Well i personally like crafting....

but TW1 did the VERY VERY right thing, with the raven armor (+++) from me for this one...
and of course how we "earn" Aerondight....

I really hope we ll see some similar things in TW3... and maybe we might meet some old
"friend" again ;) (looking at you Lady of the Lake <.<)

I still hope some EPIC swords (like Aerondight in W1) won t have a Static Base Dmg
instead they should "level" with Geralt and his skillz... like it was (partially) in TW1

Last edited:
You know what?

Let's cut EVERYTHING and port EVERY game to mobiles and in troduce only one button which will have cooldown effect which can be speeded up by microtrasanctions.Once you press it you do SWAG.

Really OP?Your stance on crafting is just......like...only....merely...simply....nothing more but.....your opinion DUDE.

What's boring to someone is fun for someone else.

Can crafting be improved?Yup.Should it be cut?Well answer is subjective and IMO it's NO.

Also how the fuck you think devs can give you every single quest without it being fetch quest?Of course DA:I did horrible job with it but it's all about making journey fun and meaningfull and not constantly collecting tongues/bowels/toes etc.EVERYTHING can be summed up as fetch quest.Your freaking life is nothing but a fetch quest in which you have to do things in order to hoard happiness and enjoyment.

Say whatever you want but please stop telling me what and how should I like,prefer etc.You gave me your opinion,I give you mine.We disagree.OK...move on.

You want dumbed down games?There are plenty to be found.You want to dumb down this game because it will sell more?Nonsense because on the market there aren't enough challenging rpgs and CD Projekt by introducing dynamic difficulty levels can eat their cake/steak and have it.You still want to make it dumbed down despite everything.....ok your right as mine is to disagree :D

Mod edit: no name calling/ad hominem attacks, please

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally agree with @Scholdarr.

I've played quite a few MMORPGs, and the experience of collecting and crafting items differs from online to single-player games. In MMORPGs you have the social aspect which enriches your collecting/crafting experience and adds a few layers to it in terms of what you can do with it or how to do it. Examples:
- You collect stuff to craft yourself something cool.
- You collect stuff to craft cool items in order to trade with others for other cool items.
- You collect stuff to craft items for sale in order to get rich (and it can be fun, thanks to the player-driven economy).
- You collect stuff to help your friends. You collect stuff with a party of players for a certain collective goal.

Also, many times in MMORPGs you have mobs/bosses drop equipment with some random stats which you simply unable to craft on your own - making such items genuinely unique and perhaps even superior to stuff you can craft. This mechanic makes sense in MMORPGs, where bosses/mobs respawn after X amount of time.

But I think all of these layers that have to do with collecting/crafting in MMORPGs (which exist thanks to the social aspect), are absent in SP games. So collecting and crafting stuff becomes a tedious monotonous chore.

Perhaps a few things can help make crafting more fun and engaging in SP games:
First, suppose Geralt can actually craft stuff on his own. If so -

1) Make crafting more about skill than ingredients. Have a skill-based activity for crafting. A sort of mini-game that rewards the players for their skill in the game. It can be something like a new puzzle every time you try to craft something. Make it challenging, with progression in mind (lvl-ups, perk tree to aid as you go along and acquire more knowledge of the craft, and so on). So for example, if you want to make a piece of armor, you will need to think about which tools you want to use, which crafting procedure you go with, which actions in the mini-game you actually make. All of this account to what your final product will be. Slip a bit in the mini-game, and your armor will suffer in stats. Choose inferior tools for the job, your armor will suffer in stats, etc. With all this in mind, this doesn't have to be Crafting Simulator 2015 - that's not the point. The point is to make a fun, engaging, skill and knowledge based activity for crafting.

2) No need for obsessive collection of ingredients. Instead, make crafting formulas be mysterious and challenging. The base ingredients (cloths, metals, etc) do not play a central role here. The serious and rare ingredients is what matters.
The knowledge on how to craft basic equipment is known to all, so you have X amount of this, Y amount of this - play the mini game and when successful - you get what you signed for. But many item formulas, especially special or epic, shouldn't be easily accessible to Geralt. Example:
Geralt stumbles upon an ancient scroll that describes the basic process of crafting an Awesome Sword. But this scroll doesn't give away information on its stats. Geralt will have to experiment and test for himself, or be patient and find additional pieces of information later in the game - for example a blacksmith who is familiar with the makings of an Awesome Sword and can give you additional info (inform you about the stats range which you can expect from crafting this sword, or info like if you do action X at the right moment during the mini-game, stats will have a considerable boost). I think bits like these scattered around the world, as well as a good dose of experiment by yourself, would enrich the crafting aspect of the game, make it more meaningful, challenging and fun.

The same approach can be taken for alchemy as well.

This type of system might seem like over-complicating things, but it can be refined and designed for skill and fun in mind.

And no one point a gun to your head and tells you to use crafting. Dont wanna-dont use it. Just walk in ordinary or quest gifted items. If you dont like it - fine. But dont think the others don`t. Aspecially if the crafting system made with quality.

And no one point a gun to your head and tells you to use crafting. Dont wanna-dont use it. Just walk in ordinary or quest gifted items. If you dont like it - fine. But dont think the others don`t. Aspecially if the crafting system made with quality.

If the game's items and equipment don't center around crafting and is balanced well, that's fine. But if it does - players who opt out of crafting will be severely gimped due to inferior equipment all the time.

I think the potions thread would disagree with this one entirely. Personally I think it would be terrible to remove crafting as it would cut into what was a huge feature from the franchise and built into the lore itself with the aforementioned potions.

If the game's items and equipment don't center around crafting and is balanced well, that's fine. But if it does - players who opt out of crafting will be severely gimped due to inferior equipment all the time.

Both previous games you were perfectly capable of completing the game, on any difficulty, by only using quest rewards and weapons/armor naturally found out in the world. Actually, apart from Dark Mode, crafted armor/weapons were usually less powerful than what you could find or receive as a reward from a quest.

So I personally wouldn't be worried about this at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my 5 cents on the topic. Frankly I think crafting in TW2 was fine. Cutting crafting entirely? Or even just limiting it... No, no fucking way.
I think special sets should have special requirements... Like the Bear Armor for example should have you kill some extremely tough Bear creature, so you use its hide and just a few other basic materials. However the very standard sets (like I assume what Geralt has worn in all the Demos) should require a modest amount of materials, which can be bought or found and not really require anything overly special.
Rare/Special sets should definitely have more challenge to them than "Collect 100 Cloth/Leather/Fur", however I have absolutely no problems with them just using TW2's style of crafting for most of the random sets.

Apart from Dark Mode I never felt like I was having to purposefully hoard shitloads of materials to make something... It mostly just came from naturally looting enemies, which you should be doing anyway, and searching the occasional crate or container, or I had sufficient funds to just buy cloth/leather/oil etc. It felt like the right balance IMO.

At this stage though, whatever system they're using in the game is 99% set in stone, so this whole thread really is a little redundant. Hopefully whatever changes they may have made to the crafting system will satisfy enough folk.

I like crafting in games. I don't think anyone here rejects the idea that in an RPG with different ways to build your character being able to customize your gear is useful and for many people, fun. However what isn't fun IMO is wandering round town looking in barrels for scraps of cloth or iron or whatever. Not only does this not make sense in the lore but it's really boring, if not for everyone then for most people.

One thing i love about the witcher games is that the side quests are often as well thought out and as enjoyable to play as the main quest. It's very much case of quallity over quantity. So why not apply this to crafting?

As a Witcher, Geralt often needs custom made stuff such as his silver sword. So crafting makes sense in the game. But is there any other reason for him to have to gather his own materials other than to fill the game with more stuff to do. Crafting can be in the game without the need for collecting common materials. There is the problem that this makes actually crafting the items less meaningful. In order to combat this the higher tier gear could require you to do something for the person crafting it for you. This could be a favor or collect schematics or a rare material. Sounds very much like a fetch quest, I know. And this doesn't exactly sound very fun either but they don't have to be as dull as in other games. CDPR are very good at making all their quests interesting. Just look at the 35min game play demo. That's just one fetch quest/favor after another but it's still cool.

The title of this thread is misleading, when i first clicked on this thread i was expecting a casual gamer who wanted to dumb the game down but actually the op brought up alot of good points. Nobody want's to remove crafting only to streamline it

Basically, what i'm trying to saying is streamlining and dumbing down are two separate things. cutting features from the game can be okay when they have a negative effect on the game. In this case we have something better we can replace it with. Replace mindless looting with a classic CDPR side quest.

If anyone here can honestly say they'd prefer collecting random shit over an interesting side quest then with all due respect i think you would be more suited to MMO RPGs than a SP RPG Which is fine. But the kind of people that like SP over MP(that i've talked to, I'm not claiming to speak for everyone) would like the grinding stuff to be cut and possibly be replaced with something more interesting

Last edited:
Ok, this is my opinion and not what will or will not be in the game. For that, you'll have to wait and see.

I like having a robust OPTIONAL crafting system in my RPGs. Note the big capitalized letters because I feel it is the most important part. Having a craft system = good. Having it be robust = better. Making it optional, to me, = best. There are times I want nothing at all to do with crafting. I am more concerned with exploring the world, doing the critical path or side quests, etc. A good game should properly balance the weapons/armor/items available so that I can play from start to finish with cool, powerful items without having to craft them. I'm ok with one sidequest to show me the crafting system, but then forget about it and let me ignore it for the rest of the game. However, especially in replays where I know the story & sidequests already, maybe I want to try crafting. Or maybe a friend told me about the cool weapon/armor they made or shared pictures via Facebook/Twitter and I want to get it. Then, make it cool. Lots of crafting materials or recipes available that I can collect and make it a good interface that is reasonably easy to use so I can have fun. That way I can spend the time making items or hunting for the items I care most about to help fill in the time.

Currently I'm playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and I like their system. As it's my first playthrough, I'm pretty much ignoring it, but I like that they reward players who want to use it, but do not penalize players who ignore it. If I replay the game, I'll probably spend more time with crafting.

Again, just personal preference here. If you love crafting, great. If you hate crafting, great. Post your preferences here, but remember that just because someone does or doesn't agree with your opinions on crafting doesn't make them right or wrong. And, again, stay tuned for information on the system we'll be using in Wild Hunt. :)

The unfortunate reality of a robust and also optional system, not just with crafting, is how much work you end up putting in developing something thats optional, and that maybe you could've invested into a critical system of the whole game.

Of course one could say "hey, side quests are optional too !!", yeah but side quests are an optional thing that pretty much 95% of all RPG players LOVE, not just like, and almost always expect, so there are different shades of gray between optional or mandatory.

If Crafting in a game is going to be optional and not critical to the experience, I'd rather have the developers not devote much effort to it, and instead work on an extremely important(optional or not) system.

In The Witcher franchise for example, I'd consider alchemy optional but fundamental for various reasons, and not like crafting which is optional and barely important, since you can get items that work fine too in other ways, and sometimes thats less time consuming and even more entertaining, especially in TW2.

If the devs of TW3 want to include crafting, imo it better be a great system thats integral to the core experience of the game and risks it to an "all or nothing" situation where they try to make the best crafting system possible and connect it to the main experience perfectly, with the chance of failing and having a tedious mandatory feature, or just mostly get rid of crafting and expand other aspects, the middle ground might hurt less if crafting ends up not being that good, but it also will give you less benefits if its optional of course, and no benefits to those that dont even use it and instead use other elements of the game, big risks big rewards.

I can´t remember now but it was some game where in order to craft item you had to have certain rare items. I believe it worked in way that most of them were unique so if you missed one you could not craft the item, however, if you were able to find them all crafted item was worth it. If this would be the way in TW3 it would be awesome because it would encourage you to look everywhere for some rare items without need for generic loot.

Anyway, crafting is almost always optional, but whether the players use it or not depends on strenghts of crafted weapons, ways how to obtain material and how much of it is needed(also possibly craft skill). So in Skyrim you can get strongest weapons via crafting so crafting is obviously on of the things you will have to get it if you want best gear. In TW2 you can craft many good items but you need so much of stuff(dark difficulty) that it is more annoying than fun. Go everywhere and collect things, might get usefull. I think this mmo way is not good approach for sp game.

I can´t remember now but it was some game where in order to craft item you had to have certain rare items. I believe it worked in way that most of them were unique so if you missed one you could not craft the item, however, if you were able to find them all crafted item was worth it. If this would be the way in TW3 it would be awesome because it would encourage you to look everywhere for some rare items without need for generic loot.

Agreed.
Crafting that requires the skin of a rare monster that you have to find and kill - perfect.
Crafting that requires a difficult to find item of loot - great.
Crafting that requires 20 pieces of wood that you can find in containers in clear sight all around the place - boring.
Crafting that requires 20 pieces of cloth that you can get from any merchant but they only have two in stock at any time so you need to keep advancing the time by 24-hours for a restock - immersion-breaking.

According to the press handout CDPR given away at E3 2013, crafting will a big feature in The Witcher 3. @TheEvilChris might be able to tell us whether the information in that handout is still accurate on a general level (I know you can't talk about specifics.)

RPG MECHANICS: The next generation RPG
  • Greatly expanded Crafting allows players to create items like armour elements and weapons, significantly adding to Geralt's deadly combat arsenal.

As others already pointed out, it's the way a crafting system is designed that makes it fun or dull, not whether or not a game has crafting in the first place.
I didn't like crafting in The Witcher 2 because it was tedious. Crafting required a lot of materials which took up a lot of room in your inventory. It was a pain to find out just how many pieces of leather you needed to create the 20 pieces of "studded leather" you needed to craft a new armor set.

Instead of using a large number of materials, I hope crafting in Witcher 3 uses a small number of ingredients that can only be obtained from specific monsters. Such as having to hunt down a werewolf to use its fur to craft werewolf themed armor set, or hunting down a wyvern to use its teeth to craft a wyvern themed sword.

Last edited:
I liked crafting in TW2, except in Dark Mode when it was tedious. I found DM more fun when I didn't craft any of the dark armors or weapons. (BTW, to those who don't know, DM was a free DLC introduced by CDPR long after the release of the original game. It isn't really fair to judge TW2 by DM.)

As geralt_of_bsas pointed out on the previous page, there should be an element of discovery to your loot. That means that items have to be tricky and sometimes dangerous to find. There has to be an element of risk, so that users suffer a penalty if they fail. Crafting should follow a similar vein. It shouldn't be totally obvious that combining items will give you a particular outcome. (Although the difficulty should absolutely not be caused by an ambiguous GUI--that is a problem classic RPGs are notorious for--where you have to combine two things but only in a particular screen etc.)

Finally, I agree with the OP that excessive crafting or ingredient farming can be tedious, but I don't want it cut.

I liked how in TW2 the better armor recipes require an item from a boss or a mini-boss.
That's the way to go, not farming

I liked crafting in TW2, except in Dark Mode when it was tedious.

Yup. Totally agree. The DM armour was, I think, the second worse crafting requirement I've seen in recent years (DA:A's runecrafting was worse - I had an excel spreadsheet open on the second monitor on "runecrafting session" to calculate what I needed of each component)

Finally, I agree with the OP that excessive crafting or ingredient farming can be tedious, but I don't want it cut.
Exactly.
To get rid of something just because a minority or a part of the community deems it tedious is definitely not the way to go. One man's puke is another man's Salisbury Steak.
Move the excessive crafting to TW3's equivalent of Dark Mode or Hard Mode, if absolutely necessary, and try to make it even more mandatory for Geralt's survival this time around, but please, don't cut it completely.
I know it's hard to understand, especially for the younger generation "living on the fast lane" where everything's about instant gratification, but for some people there's actually enjoyment to be found in taking it slow and, maybe for the umpteenth time having to gather X amount of Y to be able to craft item Z.

Top Bottom