Flying Vehicles.

+
What points? That's kind of a problem with specific examples used as broad "something like that" cases. How much to read into the example if no specifics are given. What's coming out and to what end of - for example - "Futuristic GTA" but exactly what it says?

Anyways, this is the "flying vehicles" thread, so back on topic.
For now...
In trying to describe a mechanic, how else can you better describe it than utilizing other mechanics as a reference? By saying Open World like GTA, it's a loaded statement for sure, but you can likely infer from such a general statement what exactly that person means, especially when they elaborate on what specific aspects of those elements they would like to see incorporated into this new product. In short, I think you're getting way too hung up on comparisons, we're just using them as a quick form of language, try not to get too caught up in those aspects of our points, because again, comparisons as a point of references for the purpose of explaining or relaying information is completely inevitable no matter how you slice it.

Now, back to the thread.

I figure a real sound experience is essential.

Driving vehicles, real world, is a visual, auditory and kinetic experience. Now, not much we can do ( yet) about kinetic. Visual, I'm sure it's going to be great.

But auditory, the sound of engines revving, wind whipping past your helmet, the transmission shifting, the wiper blades, police sirens, even the squeak of the leather as you shift in your seat...

all of these things, emphasized and balanced, would bring a visceral feel to vehicles few games have.

That and an analog control set for m+kb that is smooth and fun to use.

If it had the physics of Gran Turismo...
I have yet to play a non-dedicated racing title that had vehicle physics on par with a (non video game-y) dedicated racing title.

I find the vehicle physics reasonable enough, and varied enough between vehicle types, in GTA V to be satisfied with that benchmark. I'm still holding out hope that for things more exotic, like heavy equipment / gyros / aerodynes / etc., your character has to have the respective skill (or skill chip) to be able to pilot it at all.

I find the vehicle physics reasonable enough, and varied enough between vehicle types, in GTA V to be satisfied with that benchmark. I'm still holding out hope that for things more exotic, like heavy equipment / gyros / aerodynes / etc., your character has to have the respective skill (or skill chip) to be able to pilot it at all.

I'm still holding out for this scene:

You charge forwards at nearly 30 km/h, your armoured feet cracking the tiles underneath and the sound of their impact echoing off the nearby walls.
Out of sight and ahead of you, your target, a young man in black leather on a Desperado roadbike, banks hard to make the turn. He glances back as he does so, seeing the street behind him devoid of 10 foot tall power suits, and he smiles in relief.
He hasn't noticed that you ducked into the mallway, orienting off blueprints scrolling up your HUD and scattering screaming mall shoppers to either side. Four Arasaka guards level Autoshotguns, then think better of it, rolling away. No doubt calling for back up.
You increase your speed and with a lunge that shatters flooring in a 3-meter radius, hurl yourself through the plaster and beams of the outer wall. Your vision shakes for a second, dust cascading off the visor. Panning right, you see the Desperado coming right towards you.
You level your AG10 grenade launcher and smile tightly as your visor lines up the targeting crosshair. You see the rider put his bike down hard in a desperate attempt to clear your field of fire, but far, far too late...

And then you hear a loud creaking sound, the sound every Trooper dreads. Looking down, you see that you are standing on a makeshift walkway covering a section of the lower mall level under construction. As you stare in horror, the bike forgotten, the flooring collapses under you, and you plummet the two stories down, followed by the rest of the walkway.

You make -quite- an impressive boom when you hit.

Above you, your prey gets shakily to his feet, then picks his bike up and pushes it a little ways before starting it up. Behind him, a crowd gathers and distant sirens blare out.

Not your best day...

Top Bottom