Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Its time they start showing the real deal though, all of this announced features, elements and surprises, otherwise it'll become too suspicious.

This. We don't need any more shiny trailers for now but the "real deal". We want to know how much of the original promises is still in the game and how it really plays. Ok, maybe not everyone wants that, but I least I do. I think it's time for laying it on the line and getting straigth about the features and actual gameplay. I guess the game is now feature complete (or at least it will be quite soon) so it's time tostop the sketchy marketing and being honest with us. No more "cheated, easy-mode" gameplay "just for demo purposes", no more CGI trailers, no more promises without proof but real gameplay from the (almost) final version of the game...

Last edited:
January/February was always when I expected the "real deal" to commence and I think that's exactly what will happen.

We might get Developer Diaries, Character Trailers and if the dev diaries don't cover it then probably some videos that go more in-depth about certain game systems (Alchemy, Combat, Witcher Senses etc).

Just need to put up with one more Trailer ("Put up with" not really doing it justice, because I'm sure it'll still be awesome), another ~month of waiting, and I then I think we'll start to see everything unfold. Just have to wait a bit longer. I really do hope much of the cool stuff they talked about early on in Development is still there.

I actually don't need videos or trailers or dev diaries for that. Just a few written words of confirmation what is still part of the game and what not.

Well, maybe there'll be interviews in which they'll finally state stuff that isn't just rehashed PR statements that they've been using for the past year, and you might be able to find out that information in those..

But I'm not sure what you're expecting... Developer Diaries, Trailers, specific Videos... All of this happened in the lead up to The Witcher 2, so it's more than likely going to happen again. Since we don't get Demos these days, this is pretty much how the marketing for a vast majority of games occurs (Not just AAA titles), and how Developers go about showing off and explaining their game features.

I'm sure the information will pop up in their specific threads anyway (Alchemy, Combat etc). As information gets revealed, I'm sure we'll have some lengthy discussions in these threads, so you could always just pop in to see and then not have to watch the videos... I dunno.

Well, maybe there'll be interviews in which they'll finally state stuff that isn't just rehashed PR statements that they've been using for the past year, and you might be able to find out that information in those..

But I'm not sure what you're expecting... Developer Diaries, Trailers, specific Videos... All of this happened in the lead up to The Witcher 2, so it's more than likely going to happen again. Since we don't get Demos these days, this is pretty much how the marketing for a vast majority of games occurs (Not just AAA titles), and how Developers go about showing off and explaining their game features.

I'm sure the information will pop up in their specific threads anyway (Alchemy, Combat etc). As information gets revealed, I'm sure we'll have some lengthy discussions in these threads, so you could always just pop in to see and then not have to watch the videos... I dunno.

Well, one very simple possiblity would be to just (kind of officially) answer to questions on this board...

I guess I'm just too spoilt by open development and the progression of the whole independent scene (partly thanks to crowdfunding and Early Access) in the last few years. That "we don't tell you much until almost release time and if we tell you something it has to be done in traditional marketing channels" now just looks kind of lame and antiquated to me, especially when we talk about a developer who presents himself that consumer-friendly and progressive like CDPR. Just saying... ;)

That "we don't tell you much until almost release time and if we tell you something it has to be done in traditional marketing channels" now just looks kind of lame and antiquated to me, especially when we talk about a developer who presents himself that consumer-friendly and progressive like CDPR. Just saying... ;)

Agreed, to an extent.

I would go a little deeper but it's kind of just hit me how damn off-topic we've gotten. So I think it's best to leave it there :)

Did you guys see the combat in the latest trailer? looks much better, much smoother and much more like what I was hoping it to be than in the demos:
http://youtu.be/KtEO2xZ7BzQ?t=1m2s

Yes yes, I am well aware it's not an actual gameplay and that the combat will look nothing like this, but why would CDPR will show it in the trailer?

Did you guys see the combat in the latest trailer? looks much better, much smoother and much more like what I was hoping it to be than in the demos:
http://youtu.be/KtEO2xZ7BzQ?t=1m2s

Yes yes, I am well aware it's not an actual gameplay and that the combat will look nothing like this, but why would CDPR will show it in the trailer?

There was not a single second of actual gameplay shown in the trailer like you've said yourself. CDPR uses trailers for marketing/promotions. The issue is to sell the game, not to show gameplay elements properly and 1to1 like they will be present in the game. I think we shouldn't take those cutscenes too seriously or imply something for the actual gameplay.

I was thinking that if one had to stick only to the strictly necessary changes, let's say only one or two options, then I would go for implementing the attacks on grounded opponents (like in every good game who has a melee system) and realistic A.I.. This is vital for me. And also environment exploitation in combat (pushing people out of windows, down to an edge/precipice).

Last edited:
There was not a single second of actual gameplay shown in the trailer like you've said yourself. CDPR uses trailers for marketing/promotions. The issue is to sell the game, not to show gameplay elements properly and 1to1 like they will be present in the game. I think we shouldn't take those cutscenes too seriously or imply something for the actual gameplay.

Eh, that cutscene was important. Eskel (the second witcher) will probably be the other playable character in Witcher 3, I think. Plus, I liked the final line - delivery and VA work was a bit stilted, but it sounded like something a competent author would write.

Eh, that cutscene was important. Eskel (the second witcher) will probably be the other playable character in Witcher 3, I think. Plus, I liked the final line - delivery and VA work was a bit stilted, but it sounded like something a competent author would write.

To respond to that one im 100 % sure p , the other playable character in witcher 3 is ciri ( who is very like the daughter of geralt ) . you will ask why i m sure ? because this isn't the end of the witcher universe and if there is a witcher 4 it's will be without geralt because this is the end of geralt arc as they say it ( and the book is center around geralt and ciri ) > this is the beginning of ciri arc^^ and it's great she is half witcher half sorceress ^^ much fun to be ahead ^^

Last edited:

I said nothing about the plot. I only talked about gameplay. And I highly doubt that Eskel with be the other playable character in Witcher 3 anyway. The other playable character will imo very likely be Yennefer and there are various good reasons for my guess.

My point is that if CDPR marketed The Witcher to have this speed of combat animations why do they need to make the actual combat animations as fast as hell?
I thought the reason why they accelerated the animations in the actual game was because "it fits the lore"

I dont see the combat animations accelerated honestly when compared to the trailers, in the demos what happens is that you can see a much larger quantity and variety of animations than in the trailers, and while many are very fast, others are at the speed of the attacks shown in trailers.

Also, @ ilayoeli , they confirmed that for the E3 builds the animations were made faster for demoing purposes, as with the game being in easy difficulty and other accommodations.

Also, @ ilayoeli , they confirmed that for the E3 builds the animations were made faster for demoing purposes, as with the game being in easy difficulty and other accommodations.
I know they said it was on easy, but I don't think they ever said anything about altering the animations solely for the demo. Can you link me to some source?

Top Bottom