Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Christmas I get a big log, stick one end of it in hearth and let it burn over the holiday. Always been done round our end. Think it's something to do with keeping the flames alive during winter, seems symbolic.

Interesting, never heard of it before. Sounds like a good symbolism, maybe reminiscent of old Pagan traditions?

Of course they are! :p

Speaking of sales, Dylan is still kicking arses since 1986. But it's not on Tex level, this is sure. Zagor is still around, though I have not read a single issue, but Mister No's story saw its ending 8 years ago, but they kept publishing annual stories, until Sergio Bonelli's death (2009), may he rest in peace.

Sergio Bonelli editore is going through a new expansion process: new comic books, new media, and so on...but we have to see what they will offer. Dylan Dog for example is under phase 2, Tiziano Sclavi is only the name behind the character, and he sits into the shadows, as he did for more than 10 years, someone misses his dystopic, weird, dream-like stories.
Anyway Dylan's stories were a bit bad in this last period, so the character needed new life, new stories, new good supporting characters and villains. Sclavi knew this thing had to be done so he passed the baton over to Roberto Recchioni. Now he's the new curator... and by the way he went to Serbia a lot of times if I'm not mistaken. ;)

We shall see...

Bloch has retired. Dylan got arrested, his old Scotland Yard ID is gone, and now he will have to go on without it. and maybe he'll get a mobile phone for the first time.

Something changes... and I like it. Though some loyalists don't agree... but hey "old Dylan is like your childhood, nothing will bring it back because is in the past now.", to say he cannot stay in 80s or 90s anymore.

Sorry for this wall of text. :p
Well, thanks for the info...It's great to know that SBE is still kickin' :thumbsup:
During 70s and 80s their comics were just like a cult or religion in ex-Yugoslavia. Especially Zagor, that guy was more popular than football players and folk singers combined :D
And if I'm not mistaking, we had second biggest sales-just after Italy...I still have some issues from late 80s ;)
Then the 90s came and all went to hell...Civil wars, economic collapse-not a good time for comics...
But it is much better today...There are several publishers in Serbia and Croatia, and for now-they are doing fine job :)

Yes, Recchioni is frequent guest...He and Giovanni Freghieri visited Serbia in May, iirc...

And I agree-change is good...I mean, Dylan is almost 30, Zagor is over 50...Time changes, people changes...It is natural, imho...Who cares about that nostalgic loyalists who thinks that everything was better in "their time"...Well, it wasn't :p

Also, this is excellent. I've read about 15 issues:
Dark and brutal, postapocalyptic setting...I always enjoyed that :)

BTW, what do you think about Dragonero? I've read just the first issue, only one that is translated...To my eternal shame, I never learned italian :blushing:
And we're neighbors, just across Adriatic sea...

---------- Updated at 04:08 PM ----------

So I was wondering, is there any other country here that has a holiday surrounding St. Nicholas these days (5th/6th of December)? Like a proper holiday. I already heard about some countries having traditions similar to what we have here in The Netherlands, so I was wondering how that is for you guys. I’ll tell you how things go here, in case anyone’s interested (spoilered for length):

You might have heard about it, but here in The Netherlands St. Nicholas (Sinterklaas) is a huge tradition. It’s way bigger here than Christmas compared to how Americans do it, probably because Santa Claus is merely a derivation of St. Nicholas (I'm sure everyone can tell the similarities). It has been adapted slightly over the years to fit our culture and time period, but the essence has always remained the same. How the story is currently, is that about 4 weeks before the 5th, Sinterklaas and his paid helps, Zwarte Pieten (Black Petes), get over here on their steam ship full of gifts for every single child in the country. Supposedly he lives in Spain for the rest of the year (why Spain I honestly don't know, though I read about it once). The arrival looks something like this:

Then until the 5th of December, children put their shoe at the chimney at night once a week. When they do that, they sing some of the Sinterklaas songs we have as a way of saying thanks, put notes to Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet in their shoe and add some water or apples for Sinterklaas’ horse. His white horse, Amerigo, can run on any rooftop so he can reach every child. Sinterklaas and some of his helps will then climb down the chimney (or will always find another way when there is none) and exchange whatever is in the shoe for gifts and sweets.

Supposedly the Zwarte Pieten can hear what children say wherever they go, which may sound creepy, but it was “invented” to keep children behave. If you’d say naughty things, Zwarte Piet may hear you and tell SInterklaas you don’t deserve anything (like what happened to the kid on the left of this painting).

[Het Sint-Nicolaasfeest, Jan Havicksz. Steen, 1665 – 1668]

Sinterklaas, making children cry since forever just kidding.
Of course, in more recent years parents have stopped giving their children a hard time, so it’s gifts only. Nowadays Sinterklaas only writes wishes in “the great book of Sinterklaas”, and the worst children get is a warning. He can even tell you in person on tv, since there are a handful of daily tv shows including the Sinterklaas News. There’s always a “main” Sinterklaas actor who appears in most of these, with the same Pieten.

Then on the evening of the 5th of December, families gather together and wait for Sinterklaas to arrive at their house. A Zwarte Piet will knock on the front door, and when children open them there are bags full of gifts awaiting them. Then Sinterklaas and his Pieten go back to Spain on their ship.

So yeah, I was wondering in which way our tradition/holiday is similar to the way it's celebrated in your countries.
Yes, we are celebrating St.Nicholas....We call it Nikoljdan-Никољдан. It's some sort of family saint, and every family celebrates different saint...That is tradtion called "slava". And since our church is still using Julian calendar it's on December 19th...
And yes, we can get a day off-no school, no work... :D

Attachments

• 0brendon.jpg
    0brendon.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 41
Well, thanks for the info...It's great to know that SBE is still kickin' :thumbsup:
During 70s and 80s their comics were just like a cult or religion in ex-Yugoslavia. Especially Zagor, that guy was more popular than football players and folk singers combined :D
And if I'm not mistaking, we had second biggest sales-just after Italy...I still have some issues from late 80s ;)
Then the 90s came and all went to hell...Civil wars, economic collapse-not a good time for comics...
But it is much better today...There are several publishers in Serbia and Croatia, and for now-they are doing fine job :)

Yes, Recchioni is frequent guest...He and Giovanni Freghieri visited Serbia in May, iirc...

And I agree-change is good...I mean, Dylan is almost 30, Zagor is over 50...Time changes, people changes...It is natural, imho...Who cares about that nostalgic loyalists who thinks that everything was better in "their time"...Well, it wasn't :p

Also, this is excellent. I've read about 15 issues:
Dark and brutal, postapocalyptic setting...I always enjoyed that :)

BTW, what do you think about Dragonero? I've read just the first issue, only one that is translated...To my eternal shame, I never learned italian :blushing:
And we're neighbors, just across Adriatic sea...
You know, I'm glad SBE comics are so popular there, I really am, I didn't know it. And even more glad knowing it is much better now after all the problems. :)

Giovanni Freghieri is an hell of artist, though his Dylan is not "similar" to the canonical one...his drawings are so good. But my fav are Bruno Brindisi and Massimo Carnevale. Lorenzo Ceccotti is new with Dylan drawings but I'm already in love. Just look at this
About Brendon.. I've always wanted to start reading it, I remember when the first issue came out... But I was too little and my mind was only on Dylan. I have to read it for sure! Now the bad news... last issue, #100, will come out in days, and it will be really the last number...

About Dragonero, what issue did you read? The graphic novel came out in 2007
http://www.papersera.net/public_html2/yabbfiles/Attachments/dragonero-ipad.jpg

or regular #1 issue from 2013?
http://www.fumetto-online.it/ew/ew_albi/images/BONELLI EDITORE/drag01.jpg

Anyway it's...how can I say... classic. Even with the language, sometimes it uses slang words but not so much, it's pretty classic italian language, nothing tricky. It lacks some grit imho. I have mixed feelings but it's an enjoyable read for sure. I hope the dragon blood theme is much more than super natural skills.

But I've read only 5 issues for now, even if I still buy the other ones without reading it, because I can't find #6,#7 and #11 though I realized I have to skip only 11, stories are not always linked, and I can wait to find missing numbers.

Drawings, on the other hand, are beautiful and I love them. Just look at the next issue cover.

You know, I'm glad SBE comics are so popular there, I really am, I didn't know it. And even more glad knowing it is much better now after all the problems. :)

Giovanni Freghieri is an hell of artist, though his Dylan is not "similar" to the canonical one...his drawings are so good. But my fav are Bruno Brindisi and Massimo Carnevale. Lorenzo Ceccotti is new with Dylan drawings but I'm already in love. Just look at this
About Brendon.. I've always wanted to start reading it, I remember when the first issue came out... But I was too little and my mind was only on Dylan. I have to read it for sure! Now the bad news... last issue, #100, will come out in days, and it will be really the last number...

About Dragonero, what issue did you read? The graphic novel came out in 2007
http://www.papersera.net/public_html2/yabbfiles/Attachments/dragonero-ipad.jpg

or regular #1 issue from 2013?
http://www.fumetto-online.it/ew/ew_albi/images/BONELLI EDITORE/drag01.jpg

Anyway it's...how can I say... classic. Even with the language, sometimes it uses slang words but not so much, it's pretty classic italian language, nothing tricky. It lacks some grit imho. I have mixed feelings but it's an enjoyable read for sure. I hope the dragon blood theme is much more than super natural skills.

But I've read only 5 issues for now, even if I still buy the other ones without reading it, because I can't find #6,#7 and #11 though I realized I have to skip only 11, stories are not always linked, and I can wait to find missing numbers.

Drawings, on the other hand, are beautiful and I love them. Just look at the next issue cover.

I've read Dragonero graphic novel...We had different cover though:
Like you said, it is classic epic fantasy...But I really enjoyed it...It was something new and fresh from SBE :) And drawings are indeed fantastic :unworthy:

I strongly recommend Brendon. IMHO, the most mature and artistic comic SBE ever published.
Also, Chiaverotti and Rotundo make an excellent tandem:

Oh, I almost forgot this:
Great comic...He is like Dylan Dog of the Wild West ;)

Attachments

• dragonero_000.jpg
    dragonero_000.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 40
  • brendon-1-003.jpg
    brendon-1-003.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 36
  • brendon-1-004.jpg
    brendon-1-004.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 0magicovento.jpg
    0magicovento.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 52
I've read Dragonero graphic novel...We had different cover though:
Like you said, it is classic epic fantasy...But I really enjoyed it...It was something new and fresh from SBE :) And drawings are indeed fantastic :unworthy:

I strongly recommend Brendon. IMHO, the most mature and artistic comic SBE ever published.
Also, Chiaverotti and Rotundo make an excellent tandem:

Oh, I almost forgot this:
Great comic...He is like Dylan Dog of the Wild West ;)
Is the woman on the left Sera, Ian's sister? Why those red hair? :0

Yes, you're right, it surely is something fresh. Oh so you read only the graphic novel... I spoiled you the dragon blood theme... well at least you know that Ian accidentally drank it, and now he's experiencing some... special skills, along with nightmares and flashbacks. Like this (okay it's just to show again how I like its drawings)
I'll surely read Brendon... I'll take a look, when going to my (almost) trusty comic books shop, after all I discovered Dragonero there thanks to the owner... "You like fantasy? Read it." And I was like "Are you serious. SBE is publishing a fantasy comic. What. Witchcraft!"
Chiaverotti wrote DD stories too and I like him, so... that's a good point... Dammit I'm reading too much comics for now...all together...

Nevermind, Brendon will be well welcomed. :>

Ah! Magico Vento! Though I've never read it I often saw it while reading editorials...again I was too little. *heh* Looking at Wiki it seems it ended 4 years ago... :-

Last edited:
Is the woman on the left Sera, Ian's sister? Why those red hair? :0

Yes, you're right, it surely is something fresh. Oh so you read only the graphic novel... I spoiled you the dragon blood theme... well at least you know that Ian accidentally drank it, and now he's experiencing some... special skills, along with nightmares and flashbacks. Like this (okay it's just to show again how I like its drawings)
I'll surely read Brendon... I'll take a look, when going to my (almost) trusty comic books shop, after all I discovered Dragonero there thanks to the owner... "You like fantasy? Read it." And I was like "Are you serious. SBE is publishing a fantasy comic. What. Witchcraft!"
Chiaverotti wrote DD stories too and I like him, so... that's a good point... Dammit I'm reading too much comics for now...all together...

Nevermind, Brendon will be well welcomed. :>

Ah! Magico Vento! Though I've never read it I often saw it while reading editorials...again I was too little. *heh* Looking at Wiki it seems it ended 4 years ago... :-
Hm...You mean Myrva(Mirva)? I don't know why she have red hair on that cover, to be honest...She's blonde, isn't she? :question:
And i just found this:
View attachment 8038
Issues 1-4 translated and published in one 'book'...I am buying it :)

Yes, M.Vento ended...You said that Brendon is ending too...But it's alright, every good story must have an ending ;)

Attachments

• 0Dragonero.jpg
    0Dragonero.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 41
Hello all :) I have a question as a PC gaming noob, and am in need of your expertise.

A game I'm playing, Dragon Age Inquisition, is rather unstable and one of the suggested fixes of which I'm sure I botched from the beginning, is to download the 2012 visual C++ Redistributable pack. Problem is it comes in three versions, one of which I can't use because it's for something else, and then there's 84x which I believe is for 32 bit systems, which my 64 bit can apparently still make work, and then there's the 64x for 64 bit.

I've seen people say that you should download both, while others have said this will cause issues and you should only download one. Which is it?

The game itself has downloaded both of older packs in installation, I think, though that might actually be other packs installed from other games I've bought.

Here's the pack. Doesn't give much useful information unfortunately.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Hm...You mean Myrva(Mirva)? I don't know why she have red hair on that cover, to be honest...She's blonde, isn't she? :question:
And i just found this:
View attachment 8038
Issues 1-4 translated and published in one 'book'...I am buying it :)

Yes, M.Vento ended...You said that Brendon is ending too...But it's alright, every good story must have an ending ;)
Ahem sorry Myrva... Sera is the she-elf, my memory fails sometimes (often). Myrva should be blonde as her brother indeed. Oh very good! 1-4 issues cover a story arc, so go for it! :p

Yes, you are right... when time passes... eh, but it's always a bit sad.

Hello all :) I have a question as a PC gaming noob, and am in need of your expertise.

A game I'm playing, Dragon Age Inquisition, is rather unstable and one of the suggested fixes of which I'm sure I botched from the beginning, is to download the 2012 visual C++ Redistributable pack. Problem is it comes in three versions, one of which I can't use because it's for something else, and then there's 84x which I believe is for 32 bit systems, which my 64 bit can apparently still make work, and then there's the 64x for 64 bit.

I've seen people say that you should download both, while others have said this will cause issues and you should only download one. Which is it?

The game itself has downloaded both of older packs in installation, I think, though that might actually be other packs installed from other games I've bought.

Here's the pack. Doesn't give much useful information unfortunately.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Generally games in Windows come bundled with all necessary libraries and you shouldn't have to hunt them down online. If a game launches OK but is really unstable, I'd say it's probably buggy and/or has memory leaks. There's not much you can do about it and it's up to EA/Bioware (in this case) to fix it.

If you really want to manually install the MSVC++ packages (which should have been installed by your game) and your system is 64-bit, then I would say download and install the 64-bit version. If the game is actually a 32-bit binary, then you might need the 32-bit packages if they are not already included with the 64-bit version. If Windows is anything like Linux, both should be able to coexist peacefully.

Nomenclature wise, you probably mean x86 for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit. This can be a bit confusing. The reason is simple: most 32-bit CPU instruction sets derive from the Intel 8086 (x86), where as the modern standard for 64-bit home CPU's is AMD's x86_64 (x64), sometimes also called amd64.

As I said, the game should have taken care of everything. If for some reason it didn't, install the 64 bit version and if that doesn't work, I guess the 32 bit version as well. Otherwise blame Bioware entirely.

Generally games in Windows come bundled with all necessary libraries and you shouldn't have to hunt them down online. If a game launches OK but is really unstable, I'd say it's probably buggy and/or has memory leaks. There's not much you can do about it and it's up to EA/Bioware (in this case) to fix it.

If you really want to manually install the MSVC++ packages (which should have been installed by your game) and your system is 64-bit, then I would say download and install the 64-bit version. If the game is actually a 32-bit binary, then you might need the 32-bit packages if they are not already included with the 64-bit version. If Windows is anything like Linux, both should be able to coexist peacefully.

Nomenclature wise, you probably mean x86 for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit. This can be a bit confusing. The reason is simple: most 32-bit CPU instruction sets derive from the Intel 8086 (x86), where as the modern standard for 64-bit home CPU's is AMD's x86_64 (x64), sometimes also called amd64.

As I said, the game should have taken care of everything. If for some reason it didn't, install the 64 bit version and if that doesn't work, I guess the 32 bit version as well. Otherwise blame Bioware entirely.

Oh you better believe I'm blaming Bioware. They definitely goofed, and I don't know if it's the Frostbite engine since BF 4 had this issue apparently too, or what, but they need to patch this game PRONTO.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond to my question, I'll follow this advice and see how it goes.

Here there was a time when synthetics Christmas trees were a fashion by their cheaper price. But the last 15 years we bet for promotting cultivation in forests in rotation. So the owners of woodlands were encouraged to look after their forests for commercial gain. By the way, we avoid non-biodegradable plastic waste. Instead, the cultivated trees are collected after the holidays for organic recycling.

Yes, Christmas Trees Time is coming... I'm readyhappy!

Nothing better than be lost among trees!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom