Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay it just surprised me that Chris Priestly is now working for CDPR ^^ Must have slipped that information :D

Like :)

But great news, thank you kind sir

Hello everyone! I recently got into the Witcher games, been lurking these forums for quite some time and wow, I can't believe there was so much fuzz about this. I thought the trailer didn't look too bad, but either way it's still nice to hear this isn't the final look either because the latest screenshoots of the game I saw were stunning. So I guess I understand why people were freaking out a bit heh

If it is then they basically re-released the trailer from yesterday. The polycount and texturing on Caranthir still look like shit, sorry to say that.

downloaded the video in the link and I can confirm it still looks pretty shitty. doubtful its the new video...

we just gotta wait a little longer :T

Last edited:
I imagine all the ... uh ... wonderful, intelligent people that were voicing their completely reasonable concerns earlier in this thread (is that civil enough, mods, or do I have to lay it on even thicker?) will be eating their own words shortly.

Someone who has more knowledge than me can tell me if a bad compression can make texture in simil-low res?

Compression works by exchanging actual info (in this case colours & resulting textures) for a similar info that is more frequent across the file, thereby reducing the total amount of information held. So yes, blurring and seemingly making textures less well defined is exactly the kind of thing compression techniques can do to videos. What they would not do however is remove polygons or have a noticeable effect on edges.

No matter how they try to spin it, bad texture resolution can't be simply explained by "bad compression" ... look at the comparison above, it's "in game" and it's obvious no compression is at fault here.

Are the textures actually loaded on this vid? it looks like game bugged and whoever made the trailer, missed it. Also it looks like it was made fast like somebody was in a hurry.

from my knowledge of videos I must admit compression has little to do with the absent textures we see in the trailer....you might get a bit of blurriness and change in lighting here and there but not something that drastic. something else must be going on here but ill await my praise or criticism for when they actually release the real deal.

Appreciate the reply! Which other dev would describe exactly like that what happened at their studio? Usually we get radio silence like it's none of our business.

I usually don't wish anything bad to someone, but I am pretty sick of those people which jump to conclusion. One f*cked trailer and they are starting to blame and calling whole CDPR like EA or Ubi and they perfectly know how the game will look like..

It's not one of fucked up trailer. You didn't bother reading shit about what I said.

It's the E3 Gameplay footage vs Sword of Destiny, it's the Neogaf post along with this terrible trailer.

Appreciate the reply! Which other dev would describe exactly like that what happened at their studio? Usually we get radio silence like it's none of our business.

Every dev, even the worst, respond when they get a huge amount of criticism.

Also recognise that at least two compression techniques have been applied to the ingame scene as viewed by the player. Once by RED's compression into a video, then again by Youtubes own compression. Also, really good subtle textures are often comprised of quite similar colours and would therefore be vulnerable to quite horrible compression effects.

It is entirely feasible that these 2 compression techniques could work badly together. That the REDs video looked ok, and once upped to YT lost the quality. I can see this being an explanation for the faceplate in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom