Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, this is mostly CDPR's doing. Early trailers, screenshots and PR talk like "crowning achievement" "stunning visuals" are the reason why people's expectations for graphics are high (earlier materials were vastly superior to what we see right now, imo). The current shit storm would not have taken place, had CDPR released materials with the current graphic fidelity - from the start.
Also, not addressing this particular concern, given all the confusion surrounding it, is part of the problem.

Neah, if game looks like on 35 min Novigrad gameplay I am happy as this are stunning visuals.

But the textures don't, at their best, look low-res. The best, like Yennefers's outfit, are exquisitely detailed. This means it isn't the engine, or the choice of resolution, or any intentional downgrade. What it means is there are too many textures, particle effects, and so forth that weren't well executed. That concerns me to a degree that rumors about a conspiracy to downgrade product for consoles do not.

I think the show did a disservice to most of the games with first-class artwork, with obvious compression artifacts and other faults. I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone in two years.

If the textures on the main characters are high-res, but everything else looks poorly then that's not exactly great. However, the game did look great in the previous trailers, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that something just went wrong when they were making this trailer.

Neah, if game looks like on 35 min Novigrad gameplay I am happy as this are stunning visuals.

While I'm content with how the game looks in the 35min demo, I do not delude myself - it doesn't look as amazing as earlier materials. That is quite obvious to me.

To be fair, this is mostly CDPR's doing. Early trailers, screenshots and PR talk like "crowning achievement" "stunning visuals" are the reason why people's expectations for graphics are high (earlier materials were vastly superior to what we see right now, imo). The current shit storm would not have taken place, had CDPR released materials with the current graphic fidelity - from the start.
Also, not addressing this particular concern, given all the confusion surrounding it, is part of the problem.
Agree with this. Cdprojekt promised something, they need to keep that promise. I think they are doing it anyway but not helping people to see that.

About textures, it would be a total non sense downgrading textures. For example watchdogs downgraded anything but textures, the same ACU.

Cdpr must be regretting releasing this trailer now lol ... Apart from the graphics which look absolutely horrible in this trailer, i like the voice of king of wild hunt.

Definaely geeting this game on pc on day 1 coz im sure those famitso screenshots are the real pc pics and i dont want to believe this is how the game will look on launch

Agree with this. Cdprojekt promised something, they need to keep that promise. I think they are doing it anyway but not helping people to see that.

About textures, it would be a total non sense downgrading textures. For example watchdogs downgraded anything but textures, the same ACU.

Downgrade something on PC has no sense at all. This happens only with Ubisoft's shitty porting. On PC, Devs should be make as CRytek did with Crysis 1. Put all the best they can do, even if there are not exist PCs capable enough to run it at Max settings.

The thing I really don't get is that people complain about a trailer that EVEN WASN'T PLANNED!!! As Chris stated, it was done in a hurry to have something to show during the show. So yeah, sure it isn't perfect. The question is would you guys be happier if the trailer wasn't even created (as was the original plan)? Because we all remember how eager we were for more trailers and promo stuff. And as it was stated several times by REDs themselves, everytime they have to make a video, it takes time which could be spend on further polishing and finishing the game instead. So how about being thankful that the trailer was even made? What more, they are now "repairing" it, what of course once again steals time which could be spent on polishin/finishing the game.

B l a d y, you have added literally nothing to this conversation in all of your posts. Just though you would like to know.
On-Topic, I don't understand people saying the game looks awful in the trailer. It's not mind-blowing, but I'd say it's still fairly purty.

I'm more concerned about map size.

---------- Updated at 07:44 PM ----------

Downgrade something on PC has no sense at all. This happens only with Ubisoft's shitty porting. On PC, Devs should be make as CRytek did with Crysis 1. Put all the best they can do, even if there are not exist PCs capable enough to run it at Max settings.
Make sense when the reason is there and the reason is making the game look good on consoles, but textures right now doesn't make any sense because on PC or Consoles is no use of lowering texture quality, in fact on most PCs right now would be more problems than in the consoles, because of VRAM.

So, Vram is the only problem of texture resolution, not performance, they can lower textures for a top 3 FPS loosing a huge amount of quality, game developers are doing the contrary and using the memory for high texture resolutions.

If they downgraded other things and not textures, that's another question.

The thing I really don't get is that people complain about a trailer that EVEN WASN'T PLANNED!!! As Chris stated, it was done in a hurry to have something to show during the show. So yeah, sure it isn't perfect.
The community had no idea the trailer wasn't planned. Shitstorm started before Chris let us in on what happened in the background.
The question is would you guys be happier if the trailer wasn't even created (as was the original plan)? Because we all remember how eager we were for more trailers and promo stuff.
I can't speak for others, but I can see how not producing this trailer would've been the better choice on CDPR's side. The general consensus seems to be that the trailer did more harm than good. I'd be more pumped for in-game footage and some details regarding the inner-systems such as economy, crafting, alchemy, combat etc. I'll take such videos over a trailer any day.
And as it was stated several times by REDs themselves, everytime they have to make a video, it takes time which could be spend on further polishing and finishing the game instead. So how about being thankful that the trailer was even made? What more, they are now "repairing" it, what of course once again steals time which could be spent on polishin/finishing the game.
Which is a shame, and more a reason why they shouldn't have released this trailer in the first place.

The thing I really don't get is that people complain about a trailer that EVEN WASN'T PLANNED!!! As Chris stated, it was done in a hurry to have something to show during the show. So yeah, sure it isn't perfect. The question is would you guys be happier if the trailer wasn't even created (as was the original plan)? Because we all remember how eager we were for more trailers and promo stuff. And as it was stated several times by REDs themselves, everytime they have to make a video, it takes time which could be spend on further polishing and finishing the game instead. So how about being thankful that the trailer was even made? What more, they are now "repairing" it, what of course once again steals time which could be spent on polishin/finishing the game.

Their new statement about rushing the trailer, due to small time-frame, concerns me even more. Let's try to be rational here.
That statement can only excuse the way how trailer is directed, I mean the way how the scenes are put together.
I don't see any way how their lack of time for making the trailer could affect the graphic quality of the trailer. Graphics we see in trailers should represent the actual in game graphic, that's not something that needs extra time to be worked on just for the sake of trailer. That just makes things worse for alluding that they didn't had enough time to edit graphic quality just for the trailer. So this may be a good thing because now we have the closest real picture of what we can expect because they didn't had time to mislead us again.
I will not even comment on compression argument, it's just stupid in so many ways.
Sorry for being extensive, I'm not very used to write in English. If something is not comprehensive, just let me know, I'll try to rephrase it.

CD Projekt can make a boomerang with this "storm". If they show graphics being as in the 35 min gameplay and they prove that wasn't any downgrade, then the storm would turn back into "conspirators" against cdprojekt. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

The way things have been going, I don't want to see anymore trailers. >_<

It becomes difficult to reconcile that this close to release any section of the game would look so dated unless they had to make changes due to optimization. I respect Chris and Marcin responding, but the proof is in the pudding, and they keep showing materials with wildly varying quality. With TW2, we saw the game gradually get more refined closer to release. I can recall a screen with Geralt in Flotsam that just blew my mind, and when I first arrived there, I did a direct comparison to that screenie and it held up perfectly. What we saw was what we got. TW3 has had a beleaguered PR run. CDPR can say it's not downgraded, but downgraded from what? That's not really a direct answer. If Marcin came on here and said, not downgraded from SOD quality, then my skepticism would vanish.

B l a d y, you have added literally nothing to this conversation in all of your posts. Just though you would like to know.
On-Topic, I don't understand people saying the game looks awful in the trailer. It's not mind-blowing, but I'd say it's still fairly purty.

thank you very, very much for your kind and precise analyze of all my forum activity from last years.

hope jou will enjoy witcher 3

Their new statement about rushing the trailer, due to small time-frame, concerns me even more. Let's try to be rational here.
That statement can only excuse the way how trailer is directed, I mean the way how the scenes are put together.
I don't see any way how their lack of time for making the trailer could affect the graphic quality of the trailer. Graphics we see in trailers should represent the actual in game graphic, that's not something that needs extra time to be worked on just for the sake of trailer. That just makes things worse for alluding that they didn't had enough time to edit graphic quality just for the trailer. So this may be a good thing because now we have the closest real picture of what we can expect because they didn't had time to mislead us again.
I will not even comment on compression argument, it's just stupid in so many ways.
Sorry for being extensive, I'm not very used to write in English. If something is not comprehensive, just let me know, I'll try to rephrase it.

Exactly! The lack of time to produce the trailer is in no way an excuse for terrible graphics. It just shows that the previous trailers were bullshit.
I agree with you that much, that I just had to rephrase you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom