Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but to all ppl that say "No downgrade, it's just the video compression", that's bull.

I watched the 3gb trailer, and here's a screencap from it (found on DSoG) - please click for the full size and view at 1:1 zoom:

Its just one model mate, look at Ciri for example, she still the same as in previous trailers. Or Yen.

It's very obvious that these are no compression artifacts. Clean edges, smooth textures without blockiness, the video quality is very good. The texture quality in game though, is atrocious.
Its just one model mate, look at Ciri for example, she still the same as in previous trailers. Or Yen.

Frost effect is the problem here, underneath those white "things" are high quality textures, you can see small cracks and cuts in the armor.

I see it. Could be, would make sense. Awaiting some info on this from the community managers. Details like this are needed to stop spreading all the bull rumours.

Actually, I haven't ruled this out.

Iwinsky might be having a good laugh in his office right now.

Laughs........yeah, right, because all the fans talking about a downgrade and false advertising is funny to developers who wants to sell.

Getting back to the topic...... the bad textures on the Wild Hunt are some frost effect above the model textures that are right.

The picture is the base layer. For starters it doesn't have any silver on it.

If you seen how Geralt is made, he has like 5 or 6 differnt layers.

Meaningless. Merely an unprofessional comment. It could mean anything from "this setting doesn't matter, because this is code that runs on the PC where it doesn't matter" to "we don't need to optimize this section for PC, because it doesn't run there." A whole tower of FUD and false claims of bad practices has been built on this one line. Talk may be cheap, but it is all that author has to offer.

Exactly right. The phrase "don't care" is used all over software and hardware engineering and it usually means that a particular kind of control flow is not executed or a particular value is never read in a particular case.

(This reminds me of the "climategate conspiracy" where use of the word "trick" in an email caused a stir among a whole lot of journalists ignorant of the fact that the phrase is used by mathematicians all the time and has nothing to do with deceiving anyone.)

Doesn't Unity have a lot of annoying pop-in though? I haven't played the game myself but heard about it.

It has. But I don't know any great looking open world game that hasn't. Unity isn't perfect, don't get me wrong here. But it's also still very good looking and we just should be careful to call "bad optimization" and stuff if we don't know a lot of that ourselves (which means if we don't have solid (!!!) proof for the claim or if we are experienced graphics programmers who worked on next-gen graphics before).

I personally don't know a single "perfect" game engine tbh. They all have their pros and cons. The games with the least technical flaws are in most cases pretty linear games with linear levels and predefined/scripted events (like Crysis, Metro, Battlefield and so on). It's a whole different beast to make an open world game with huge sceneries and it's also a whole different beast if you want to le a lot of what happens on space be randomly calculated instead of being scripted. Like there ARE texture pop-ins in Unity and stuff like NPCs popping up in the far distance. But at the same time no other game before managed to render that many well modeled and textured and even animated NPCs on screen at the same time. So how do you know that it's "badly optimized" if you just lack any comparison and if you don't know every detail of the graphics engine to the teeth? Well, I'd say you probably don't. It's quite easy to dimiss devs for some obvious technical weaknesses but nobody's perfect and both hardware and software are still both pretty limited. So IMHO we should a little bit less aggressive or even arrogant here and sometimes we should acknowledge that games have some gorgeous graphics with a lot of work involved although they probably are far from perfect. ;)

It has. But I don't know any great looking open world game that hasn't. Unity isn't perfect, don't get me wrong here. But it's also still very good looking and we just should be careful to call "bad optimization" and stuff if we don't know a lot of that ourselves (which means if we don't have solid (!!!) proof for the claim or if we are experienced graphics programmers who worked on next-gen graphics before).

I personally don't know a single "perfect" game engine tbh. They all have their pros and cons. The games with the least technical flaws are in most cases pretty linear games with linear levels and predefined/scripted events (like Crysis, Metro, Battlefield and so on). It's a whole different beast to make an open world game with huge sceneries and it's also a whole different beast if you want to le a lot of what happens on space be randomly calculated instead of being scripted. Like there ARE texture pop-ins in Unity and stuff like NPCs popping up in the far distance. But at the same time no other game before managed to render that many well modeled and textured and even animated NPCs on screen at the same time. So how do you know that it's "badly optimized" if you just lack any comparison and if you don't know every detail of the graphics engine to the teeth? Well, I'd say you probably don't. It's quite easy to dimiss devs for some obvious technical weaknesses but nobody's perfect and both hardware and software are still both pretty limited. So IMHO we should a little bit less aggressive or even arrogant here and sometimes we should acknowledge that games have some gorgeous graphics with a lot of work involved although they probably are far from perfect. ;)

If Witcher 3 looks as or even almost as good as Unity, i would be more than happy.
But thats kinda off-topic i guess, sorry :)

And yet it's close to release with even worse material being shown. Regardless, the game, specifically the 35 minute demo, looks nowhere as great as the SoD and VGX trailers. I honestly believe that they bullshotted for the other trailers, but that's just speculation.

Edit: So far, everything they have shown, including the demo, is substantially worse compared to this "in-game footage".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WtIpfwIClQ&feature=youtu.be&t=10s
or even this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KczsbBpX1so

The downgrade is obvious, yes. They've slapped us in the face.

The trailer certainly wasn't bad. It was just disappointing.

I can understand how releasing a new trailer to ease our woes might not be feasible...but seriously: Just post 3-5 screenshots with the highest settings from the game. Something showing characters and lots of scenery at a wide angle, preferably in >1080 resolution. That really should be no problem and would go a long way in easing some of the community's concerns.

The fact that they a constantly showing of worse and worse stuff since the VGX trailer is *really* worrying :-/

The hardware required to play Unity at a decent framerate at high settings is ridiculous. People with sli'd 980s experience performance problems. It's garbage optimization at its finest, especially since it doesn't look like anything special compare to other games that came out this year.

I think the only option to bring peace to all the ppl here that preordered and are now panicking, and to stop spreading this damaging publicity, is to release a few screenshots from known areas, and from a PC build. Instant peace, all faith restored. It could be so easy. But i think they can't do that, because there is at least some downgrade.
Agree, or even new high res gameplay, don't have to show any quests just some new locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom