Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both your Min & Max are lower than my results so something is definitely wrong, My results are something like this with Ultra preset, SMAA and Ubisoft fur at 1080p.

Min: 42 - 45

Max: 65 - 70

I haven't gone below 40 except when I use Nvidia's fur (Hairworks) or MSAA. The biggest hit I took was at Banapur (first village) and even there it was like 34 or so.

Yeah, don't know what's the problem. I have 14.11.2 beta drivers installed but it seems to make no difference

I doubt you'll see requirements like "16Gb of RAM just because RAM is cheap and we can tell you to get it" from CDPR. They've already proven (in the first Red Engine) that they can budget memory carefully. I don't think they'd throw that out the window just because other game engineers don't bother with it.

---------- Updated at 10:52 AM ----------

The ASUS Strix that @Akrilloth mentioned is an excellent version of the GTX 970. Probably the best one with an aftermarket cooler design. (If you need a stock cooler with exhaust out the rear, go with EVGA.) Availability of any specific model of GTX 970 is limited by a huge excess of demand over supply.

Guy, are you sure on that? EVGA seems to be getting quite a lot of complaints about the design.

Guy, are you sure on that? EVGA seems to be getting quite a lot of complaints about the design.

Nobody's doing any better with it... To be specific, the 970 does not have a reference cooler. Blower cards with rear exhausts are few for them. The card is too short for existing blower designs. Frankly, none of them are much good. But if you must have rear exhaust, there isn't an alternative.

EVGA's dual-fan ACX cooler, not the blower, is the one that's caused all the complaints. It just doesn't line up well with the chip, and it looks like one of the heat pipes is decorative rather than functional.

Specifically, here's what they did wrong:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html
EVGA ACX: Of 3 heat pipes, only 2 make contact, and the third is out of contact, short, and open to the air.
ASUS Strix: 3 heat pipes, all 3 make contact, all 3 are sealed.

Nobody's doing any better with it... To be specific, the 970 does not have a reference cooler. Blower cards with rear exhausts are few for them. The card is too short for existing blower designs. Frankly, none of them are much good. But if you must have rear exhaust, there isn't an alternative.

EVGA's dual-fan ACX cooler, not the blower, is the one that's caused all the complaints. It just doesn't line up well with the chip, and it looks like one of the heat pipes is decorative rather than functional.

Specifically, here's what they did wrong:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html
EVGA ACX: Of 3 heat pipes, only 2 make contact, and the third is out of contact, short, and open to the air.
ASUS Strix: 3 heat pipes, all 3 make contact, all 3 are sealed.

Guy I believe that the FTW 970 from EVGA does not have this issue as it has 5 heat pipes instead of 3;. So if you buy an ACX 2.0 EVGA 970 make sure it is a FTW version

---------- Updated at 11:47 AM ----------

Guy, what do you think about the Gigabyte Windforce instead?

Excellent card. I have 2 now. Quiet except when fans are at 80 to 100 percent and even then not to bad. Get the G1 gaming card over the regular windforce. Card is built better overall. The reg one has a platic cover and no back plate, the G1 has a metal cover (fan shroud) and a nice back plate.

You will love them

Not sure which model but I'm buying next year when prices will stabilize.. Heck now for example at Amazon.it (I'm Italian) many resellers are placing 970's around €400.. which is insane.. too many people buying I guess :lol:

Guy I believe that the FTW 970 from EVGA does not have this issue as it has 5 heat pipes instead of 3;. So if you buy an ACX 2.0 EVGA 970 make sure it is a FTW version

---------- Updated at 11:47 AM ----------

Excellent card. I have 2 now. Quiet except when fans are at 80 to 100 percent and even then not to bad. Get the G1 gaming card over the regular windforce. Card is built better overall. The reg one has a platic cover and no back plate, the G1 has a metal cover (fan shroud) and a nice back plate.

You will love them

You're right; the ACX 2.0 cooler on the 970 FTW is a different design, similar to the ACX cooler on the 980. I agree; the Windforce G1 is a good design.

With any Maxwell, the availability of any card at all when you need it, let alone being able to find the exact model you want, is still a concern.

Another good news for AMD owners, they will soon release their new drivers called Catalyst Omega which features Nvidia DSR like feature called VSR allowing you to super sample your games at driver level. Additionally it will bring several performance enhancements (upto 19% from launch) according to them. Here is the full article.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_announces_catalyst_omega_driver/1

I am glad it's all happening before TW3 release.

You're right; the ACX 2.0 cooler on the 970 FTW is a different design, similar to the ACX cooler on the 980. I agree; the Windforce G1 is a good design.

With any Maxwell, the availability of any card at all when you need it, let alone being able to find the exact model you want, is still a concern.

I know I had to have a microcenter employee call me when the truck came in and hold it for me till I got there. I missed out 3 times at least prior.
It's a good design/architecture and Nividia hit it out of the ball park. I await AMD response. I hope they come out swinging. Competition will only benefit all of us as consumers!!!

Just built my very first gaming PC this week:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Memory: 16GB DDR3 RAM (CL9, 2133 Mhz)
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970
CPU: i5 4690k (replaced the stock cooler with Hyper 212 Evo cooler installed in case I have to overclock)
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W (80 GOLD)

I'm hoping this will be enough to run the game on acceptable settings. I know we have no specs, but do you think this will work out well for me?

I was initially thinking to get a GTX 980 instead, but ultimately decided against it. The extra $200+ for what the benchmarks seemed to show was only a few FPS just didn't seem worth it to me (there is diminishing returns in action for you).

Last edited:
Just built my very first gaming PC this week:

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Memory: 16GB DDR3 RAM (CL9, 2133 Mhz)
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970
CPU: i5 4690k (replaced the stock cooler with Hyper 212 Evo cooler installed in case I have to overclock)
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W (80 GOLD)

I'm hoping this will be enough to run the game on acceptable settings. I know we have no specs, but do you think this will work out well for me?

I was initially thinking to get a GTX 980 instead, but ultimately decided against it. The extra $200+ for what the benchmarks seemed to show was only a few FPS just didn't seem worth it to me (there is diminishing returns in action for you).

The game will surely run great on that system, there's no doubt about that. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Another good news for AMD owners, they will soon release their new drivers called Catalyst Omega which features Nvidia DSR like feature called VSR allowing you to super sample your games at driver level. Additionally it will bring several performance enhancements (upto 19% from launch) according to them. Here is the full article.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_announces_catalyst_omega_driver/1

I am glad it's all happening before TW3 release.

Thanks for this info :cheers:

Last edited:
The game will surely run great on that system, there's no doubt about that. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Thanks for that, I'm very relieved.

Main reason I was nervous is because I always see posters on other forums saying how they have twin 780s (and sometimes even 980s) in SLI to run the game and crazy $1000+ GPU setups like that, which needless to say started making my single 970 start looking extremely inadequate.

So based on your comment, I'm guessing those were just overambitious exaggerations about the game's requirements which is a huge relief to me.

SLI GPUs are necessary for 4K gaming and for those who want to play at Ultra Ûber settings with their 144 Hz monitor and get the best and smoothest possible experience. One 970 is enough for any recent title (as long as they are well optimized) at fairly small resolutions such as 1080p or 1440p.

Thanks for this info :cheers:

Your most welcome :)

Thanks for that, I'm very relieved.

Main reason I was nervous is because I always see posters on other forums saying how they have twin 780s (and sometimes even 980s) in SLI to run the game and crazy $1000+ GPU setups like that, which needless to say started making my single 970 start looking extremely inadequate.

So based on your comment, I'm guessing those were just overambitious exaggerations about the game's requirements which is a huge relief to me.

One thing 900 series owners should keep in mind that when TW3 development started till the optimization phase 900 series was not released and only 700 series was around so it's certain that CDPR was targeting 600 series to be something that will run the game quite well with decent settings and 700 series as high end setups that will allow you to crank up most if not all settings so owners of 900 series having nothing to worry about since their cards are better than 700 series.

I think all bad speculations started when we heard the rumor of GTX 780 Ti not being able to go above 45 fps at max settings with 8x MSAA but keep in mind that it was only a rumor and even if we consider it true then it was about an unoptimized version of game and pretty much all of us know that 8x MSAA is something really crazy, any GPU out there will come to knees if you enable that much MSAA.

I was also worried myself about all those Nvidia technologies being used but most of them run quite well on AMD cards and thanks to the explanation from mods here the new PhysX SDK 3x make PhysX run really well on CPU so AMD owners won't get a dumped down experience.

Imo people out there claiming the requirement of dual GPUs for TW3 are just exaggerating, there is no game out there that need dual GPUs to run well at 1080p unless it's terribly optimized like AC Unity.

You will certainly need two cards for 4k but current high cards are more than enough for 1080p.

The only feature that could be really expensive or say GPU killer is HairWorks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'm definitely NOT aiming for 4k. Most likely going to stick to 1080p, maaaaybe 1440p (although unlikely, and I'd need a new monitor for that anyway). So hopefully I don't have much to worry about as long as I stay in the 1080p ballpark.

At this time, there is no announced support for Mac OS X. If you're going to run on Mac, it will have to be in Boot Camp.

Thank you.

edit: Warning to all potential buyers of an iMac 27" Retina (5K):

At the moment the M295X is throttling when running in Windows because of heat. When dropping down it runs as fast as a M290X or a GTX 680MX, which is worse than a 780M from a 2013 iMac. Might be fixed with better drivers.

Last edited:
Just a quick question, is TW3 a CPU bound game or GPU? just wondering

I'm not an expert with these questions but I'l throw some opinions. Since it's an open-world game with lots of NPCs I think it will use a lot of the CPU for the AI and other things. And it's supposed to have insane graphics detail so a powerful GPU is needed for all the good stuff. These are the most obvious things that came to my mind. I think Guy N'Wah can be more specific and give more detailed thoughts.

Windows 7 64-bit
4096 RAM
Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz Processor 4 CPUs
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Card
About 400 GB of free space out of more than 1 TB of total space

Is this enough info to be able to know if I will be able to run it?

Last edited:
Windows 7 64-bit
4096 RAM
Intel Core 3.3GHz Processor
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Card
About 400 GB of free space out of more than 1 TB of total space

Is this enough info to be able to know if I will be able to run it?
More info regarding the CPU & GPU would be nice.

But the problem is that since no official system reqs have been released yet, we have nothing to compare your specs with.

Really? Where I live there's plenty of them available from different manufacturers. Actually my second MSI GTX 970 arrived defective and I got a replacement for it in around 2 weeks. Not bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom