The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
So they should release a broken game just because they promised there would be no more delays?
Are you serious?
Promising no more delays was stupid. There are always certain unexpected problems that can occur during development. I'm sure they will learn from this and I'm glad they broke their promise.

But I'm also more skeptical towards the game. The coming months will tell why the game was delayed, I suppose.

@scoldarr: pretty harsh to compare an early access game with open beta to a story heavy AAA game. They have released a lot of information already but seeing as the core content of this game are story heavy quests, they're unable to release the same material as a sandbox game such as Divinity: Original Sin.

Honestly, it takes some balls to announce this a few month before the release, and in fact I'm glad they have... Since TW2, all I want is to play the last chapter of this epic saga, or in fact all I want is to play the best end possible for this saga and if this means waiting a few month more than scheduled... Meh what ever I'll enjoy it!
I hope they will achieve in resolving their issues and I hope 3 month will be enough! Good luck to all the team and thanks you for tour commitment to your community!

The problem that I have is the overall hype for this game is at a state that I don't even know if the Devs originally expected. People are pretty much expecting this game to be the greatest RPG of all time. The hype train for this game is on overdrive so if it doesn't live up to those expectations then CDPR is royally screwed in the future. So yeah, if it's not at that level then they need to delay and delay again. I just hope that when the day comes that they can deliver.
Blame CDPR. They started to market this game in very early state TWO YEARS before release. Even big pubs don't usually begin to talk about their games that long before release. It's quite natural that people get hyped if you promise that much so long before you're ready. It's the devs fault if they can't deliver on that promises, and their fault alone. Otherwise they should have waited to present the game to the public and to promise certain features and stuff until they were VERY sure that they could actually deliver. This long period of marketing and talking about a game is just crazy, given the high degree of uncertaincies in game development. With crowdfunding and open development I've followed the process of making a game quite closely in some cases and it's really astonishing how much a game can change even in a few weeks before release.

If people are loosing interest now and worry about the game it's CDPR's fault because they maybe were too mouthy in the first place. Instead of modesty they showed almost hybris. It was them who marketed Witcher 3 as the best RPG even, easily beating Skyrim and other games, not the fans, don't forget that...

What's the reason for the delay? I've read what they wrote but it's not good enough.

Internal development decision. That's all we're likely to get. Hell, it might not even be something we'd understand, coding issue, art asset issue, legal issue, who knows. Probably a few things. Ah, speculation.

I suspect ducks. Rabid duckery.

Last edited:
All you say is just that you trust every word CDPR say in their open letter (although they don't stick to their previous statement).

A serious delay is always reason to be concerned, especially for such a big project like Witcher 3 and especially if REAL information about the reasons for the delay are almost non-existent.

You know, when Larian told gamers this summer that Divinity Original Sin would be delayed people could already play the beta and Larian told them pretty much in detail why they want to delay the final release. So people could understand the reasoning. They didn't have to just blindly believe the dev's statement. They saw in which directions the game was still lacking and they could also sense what could be improved with additional time.

In the case of Witcher 3 we actually know pretty much nothing about how much the game is processed. We don't have any solid information how many features are already implemented or even how many of them will make it to the final game. All we actually saw from the game so far was a short staged demo that didn't show much beyond their vision for visuals and art design and a slight redesign of already known combat mechanics from W2.

So excuse me, I'm not a believer but a natural sceptic. I don't believe anyone just becuase he tells me something. CDPR wouldn't be the first respected and experienced developer who stretched too thin, who got caught in hybris or overambition. That happpend to a lot of respected and beloved devs before and their word wasn't worth a single dime in the end. This "open letter" is nothing else than pure marketing. You'd expect a very similar letter from Ubisoft and acutally it's pretty similar to what they released once they delayed Watch_Dogs. After all, CDPR got sketchy and hideous in the past weeks and months and imo that's merely a good sign for the game. Now with the new delay announced my worries got even bigger, sorry. And in the end, if the delay really was just abut polishing and finding bugs what actually hinders them to release some new gameplay stuff from the latest build? Is there not even one small quest or encounter they could show us right now, proving us that we all worry for nothing? The longer they wait with showing people that this is really just about fixing bugs and optimizing the engine the more people will worry about the game...
When did I ever say I believe every word in this open letter? 7 months is a long time and I can't really get mad at them for not being able to stick to something they said that long ago. You're also comparing a kickstarter game to a game that is made by a company with investors who may not want somethings released.

My main concern is that im very skeptical that CDPR truly didnt know how to "calculate" better a date, and just fell short.

I think something really bad happened in the later stages of the project, and took them more or less by surprise.

On its own the time of the delay isnt big at all, dragon age got delayed 14 months I think for example, but its the way in which these delays for TW3 happened what worry me...

In favor of the project we know its a brutally ambitious thing, and stuff that was doubted like mounted combat and large underwater places ended up included, as if they managed to do more than what they thought, which would explain more time just for polishing, but we also have seen so very little about the game that its really a well guarded secret what the hell we're gonna get

@scoldarr: pretty harsh to compare an early access game with open beta to a story heavy AAA game. They have released a lot of information already but seeing as the core content of this game are story heavy quests, they're unable to release the same material as a sandbox game such as Divinity: Original Sin.
Divinity Original Sin is far from being a sandbox game...

Releasing "information" is nothing else than marketing. Statements on paper, not worth the ink if the game itself fails to deliver.

The point is that we don't know whether it's just bugfixing and polishing or "more" that caused the delay. We don't know in which state the game currently is. We have actually no real, solid information AT ALL. So telling people to stop worrying and just believing CDPR's words seems a bit, let's say "naive" to me. Of course it could be that way, it's just that nobody outside of CDPR really knows...

When did I ever say I believe every word in this open letter? 7 months is a long time and I can't really get mad at them for not being able to stick to something they said that long ago. You're also comparing a kickstarter game to a game that is made by a company with investors who may not want somethings released.
I'm only comparing them to make clear that we don't have any actual information in the case of Witcher 3 (different to e.g. Original Sin). And I never said that you believe every word of this open letter. I generally said that people shouldn't follow this attitude of just believing something because somebody says. Staying critical is often way more healthy.

Releasing "information" is nothing else than marketing.

Well, what wouldn't be marketing at this point? Releasing game content? A demo? Those are all marketing...intended for us, their market.

Any time they talk to us, it's marketing, right?

Also, we don't get to be privy to internal development decisions. WOuld you like to know why Walmart delays product releases? Ford? General Electric?

They might tell you - probably they would not. We are the consumers, they are the producers. And more open development, a la D:Os, (I'm a backer!), that's also marketing. Kind of a marketing/development crossover, really.

i know you are making a great efort to make us happy and deliver the best game ever, i know you are giving your heart and soul for us. you have my full suport! hang in there you will make it

Praise CD Project Red! Praise The Witcher 3: Wild hunt!

Well, as I see it videogames are a form of art....

So I'll tell you a little story about Gaudi, he, in 1915 began the planning for the construction of La sagrada Familia possibly the mos beautiful cathedral in the world...
There were hundreds of delays during the construction and when asked he always said the same: "My boss has no rush for me to finish it"...
A man with lots of sarcasm in him if you ask me (as he meant God when refering to his boss)

So there is no need to rush an artist when he/she is at his best, even more if we modern patrons don't spend more than 40/50 bucks for copies of pieces of art such as this.

By the way La Sagrada Familia is going to be finished aroun 2030, haha...

By the way, what about Cyberpunk 2077 ?
I remember reading an article a month or two ago where they were supposedly aiming to release it late 2015.
If this was true, it most certainly isn't going to happen now. Expect 2016 at the earliest.

Top Bottom