The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
I wonder how some of you are so sure that the PC/consoles version is the real problem? Isn't there any else reason in the world of video game creation?

Last edited:
Shouldn't you kids go outside in summer, doing some sports with friends or at least laying in the sun? Or how about real holidays?I personally think summer is the worst time for playing and releasing video games...

Believe me summer is the best time, as kid or as an adult. The HUGE problem I had in the last years always was that despite going out with friends and family regularly I still had time left to play here and there. But the problem is that in Summer as good as NO game is released. I call it the "Summer gap". Because most (big) games come out February - April and/or August - December most of the time , there are almost no game releases in Summer. Could be a beneficial release date for CD Project Red

I knew that CDPR would never disappoint and release an unfinished and buggy game.
Releasing broken games seems to have become a very common practice these days. Big developers release unfinished pieces of garbage full of ludicrous micro-transactions that need a whole bunch of patching just to run properly. These companies lack any consideration for their fans or good intentions towards their customers, and they see gamers as sacks of money.
Having said that CDPR has nothing to apologize for, because with the delay they have put their fans above all else. As a matter of fact we as fans should be thankful that we were treated with dignity and honesty, and we weren't presented with a broken game and promises of later patching. The Witcher 3 is a very ambitious game, and CDPR did shoot for the stars. It takes heart and courage to take such a big leap forward, and try to create a game that leaves the fans in awe. Even if the Witcher 3 does not meet some unrealistic expectations that some have, We know that CDPR gave it all they had.
We as fans and gamers are very thankful to you CDPR team, and you will always have our support.

To be honest, even the people on sites like IGN are saying "good they did it, I rather have a good solid game without problems than having a mess at release like we did so many times before in the last years" or something along those lines.

Last edited:
What about policies of the company about giving infofrmation to the rivals? Haven't CDPR the right of preserving some information about themself?

They don't have to go into specifics, just generally address what section is the problem or why there is a problem.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone showing us support. I know it's hard when you wait for a game and it turns out you need to wait a little longer. We promise you, however, that you won't be disappointed. Your words mean a lot to us and we are really grateful to have such understanding an supportive community. You are the reason we do what we do. Thanks guys!

I know it's not nice to ask, but would it make any sense to tell us what the problem is or the problems are? I mean maybe even just generally...
Is it the graphics? The gameplay? The engine? Did you work on some mechanics and took so long that you realized there would not be enough time for polishing anymore or what is it? Is is a big problem or a small one, is it due to time-issues (despite working overtime not having the time for polishing because other things previously took longer than expected?) or rather a real problem that has to be solved before release?.

I'm just curious.

They don't have to go into specifics, just generally address what section is the problem or why there is a problem.

I'm just curious.

It they are smart, they will do it when the problem/s had been solved. After all, as many said before, they are a Company, not a a group of friends.

What about policies of the company about giving infofrmation to the rivals? Haven't CDPR the right of preserving some information about themself?

Which "rivals"? Sorry, but we don't talk about cars. There is almost no competition for a game like Witcher 3. Or do you know of any big western RPG being released in the same window that could alienate sales? I don't...

And of course they have every right to stay secretive. But that doesn't mean that we - as consumers and fans - have to like or support that. And of course they don't "owe" us anything. But it's clever to invest into your community because gaming is a business in which loyalty usually pays of. Building up a strong fanbase is important for business. Or why do you think CDP talked so much about themselves in the past? Being honest with fans and possible customers is one way of doin marketing. You don't have to follow that approach but why shouldn't we demand it as consumers and fans? Isn't it in OUR best interest to demand that? You people act sometimes like you worked for CDPR and like you had to defend them and their business policies but you don't have to do that. That shouldn't be your primary interest as gamers and customers. They can speak for themselves, be assured...

And it's just natural that without further information people speculate about the reasons for the delay. If you want to avoid that you must get active or even pro-active and actually communicate with people. Problems with various platforms and optimization for those could be one of the reasons why the game got delayed so people speculate on that as well. I don't think that this is a big surprise...

Last edited:
Which "rivals"? Sorry, but we don't talk about cars. There is almost no competition for a game like Witcher 3. Or do you know of any big western RPG being released in the same window that could alienate sales? I don't...

And of course they have every right to stay secretive. But that doesn't mean that we - as consumers and fans - have to like or support that.

It's just natural that without further information people speculate about the reasons for the delay. Problems with various platforms and optimization for those could be one of the reasons. I don't think that this is a big surprise...

You disappoint me, Isn't no competition in video games industry? How lucky they are, then!

And of course they have every right to stay secretive. But that doesn't mean that we - as consumers and fans - have to like or support that.

It's just natural that without further information people speculate about the reasons for the delay. Problems with various platforms and optimization for those could be one of the reasons. I don't think that this is a big surprise...

Most people within the company are not even privy to that kind of knowledge, they are just told what work they need to do. Except for execs, leads, and maybe investors, this kind of stuff is typically not spread around openly and is fairly compartmentalized to those who need to know. This is true of almost any sizable company in any field. There is no way they are going to openly talk about specifics with the general public. They are a business and they aren't about to air dirty laundry which will just complicate and exacerbate their problems, especially after just announcing a delay. A rival product would not change this, regardless of timing.

Just let them do their thing and wait for the game, see how it turns out, then buy it or don't buy it based on your thoughts then.

How about answering my question instead of trying to be sarcastic?

I don't know more or less than you, but I can only make guesswork, no claims or allegations. Who said this would not be a problem from CDPR engine or a problem affecting a third company which has a contract with CDPR?

Most people within the company are not even privy to that kind of knowledge, they are just told what work they need to do. Except for execs, leads, and maybe investors, this kind of stuff is typically not spread around openly and is fairly compartmentalized to those who need to know. This is true of almost any sizable company in any field. There is no way they are going to openly talk about specifics with the general public. They are a business and they aren't about to air dirty laundry which will just complicate and exacerbate their problems, especially after just announcing a delay. A rival product would not change this, regardless of timing.

You know, the gaming industry has changed quite a bit. It has become much more open and transparent than in the past.

This "I don't tell you anything before release" is a thing of the past, antiquated, without a big future in my books. That's not what gamers want. And the demand regulates the market sooner or later.

Of course it depends on your business structure and your investment deals. But there are other companies with investors who commited themselves to open development. It's possible - if you just want to.

---------- Updated at 09:51 PM ----------

I don't know more or less than you, but I can only make guesswork, no claims or allegations. Who said this would not be a problem from CDPR engine or a problem affecting a third company which has a contract with CDPR?

Everyone in this thread is just making guesswork, that's the point.

Everyone in this thread is just making guesswork, that's the point.

Really? I can read a lot of strong statements and demands answers. Far from classification as guesswork. Maybe I don't have enough high level of English to see the difference....

Really? I can read a lot of strong statements and demands answers. Far from classification as guesswork. Maybe I don't have enough high level of English to see the difference....
What's wrong with raising a demand? I don't see any problem with that tbh...

That guesswork statement was refered to all comments about possible reasons for the delay. Should actually be pretty obvious.

You know, the gaming industry has changed quite a bit. It has become much more open and transparent than in the past.

This "I don't tell you anything before release" is a thing of the past, antiquated, without a big future in my books. That's not what gamers want. And the demand regulates the market sooner or later.

Of course it depends on your business structure and your investment deals. But there are other companies with investors who commited themselves to open development. It's possible - if you just want to.

Yes, though I'd say it's more due to how information gets around with technology than anything rather than the videogame industry itself. I see plenty of stuff that does not reach the floor typically when it comes to sharing information. It's not so much a matter of them not wanting to share anything, but they don't want to share bad things or things that have or are going wrong, especially if they don't have to. That's just common business practice.

Because of information flow, it has imbued society with a sense of entitlement to know whatever they want, but that's just not the way things work.

What's wrong with raising a demand? I don't see any problem with that tbh...

Nothing wrong with asking, but demanding is too strong. Demanding implies they are bound to follow our whims. They'll decide what to do and we have to live with their choices. And while because we'd like answers and we may not see a problem with it, there could be many things we don't know that would be a problem for them. And even if they do want to share some information, it's a long process of figuring out what specifically can be talked about and how to talk about it. Things like this affect the whole company and the bigger the company, the slower it is generally to turn any direction unlike an individual or small team who can switch on the go.

It's very complicated overall. And understand I'm not trying to judge you or anything, I'm curious too as to what is happening exactly, just pointing out some stuff I've learned and playing devil's advocate.

I guess we mean different things with "raising a demand" and maybe I just used the wrong term (no native speaker, sry). I mean it like "saying that you would like or wish something". It's not that I feel like I'm entitled to anything. ;)

And about the "bad information policy": that depends a lot on the personal assessment of what is more benefitial or harmful in the end. There can be positive effects arising from being honest with consumers, even when admitting to problems or failures. In my books it's often a signal of bad processes (and too much internal policy issues) and of lacking self-confidence if you are too secretive about your internal processes rather than being a conscious decision. Though I can understand the reasoning to not communicate such stuff to the public I feel that it might fall back to you later some time. As I've said, it's much about risk assessment (and trends and policies in economies are always evolving and shifting) and not so much about "not being able to do so". It's a hard decision what to communicate to the public of course and there is no golden path. We'll have to wait and see...

Last edited:
I guess we mean different things with "raising a demand" and maybe I just used the wrong term (no native speaker, sry). I mean it like "saying that you would like or wish something". It's not that I feel like I'm entitled to anything. ;)

Understood, and not saying you specifically feel entitled, but it's a general trend I've noticed with a large percentage of society. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes not so much. I bet they are reeling a bit over there with everything, so let's just try and give them some time to see if they'll talk to us about anything. Perhaps some interviews they'll do in the future might help shine some light.

@shinobi2u @wichat @Scholdarr

...group hug, everyone ?

Let's not fight over opinions.
We are all fans of the Witcher and we should stick together as community ~

...plus, one of the REDs will eventually post the reason and we'll all be wrong and look incredibly stupid in the end.

Top Bottom