The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
What's wrong with raising a demand? I don't see any problem with that tbh...

That guesswork statement was refered to all comments about possible reasons for the delay. Should actually be pretty obvious.

Talk is cheap. You can demand anything you want. I can demand Volvo release blueprints of my car. Am I going to get them? No. Should I have any rational expectation of getting them? No. Is demanding them anything other than a waste of bits? No.

No rational company does their engineering in public. No customer who isn't a six or seven-figure account can expect them to.

The only fight I do is against myselff and my frustation with my English... but people don't know it about and usualy misunderstood my tone. ... Even if I apologize by PM :(

I'm not so rude in the intimacy, I swear!

Attachments

• b92.gif
    b92.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 59
You know, the gaming industry has changed quite a bit. It has become much more open and transparent than in the past.

This "I don't tell you anything before release" is a thing of the past, antiquated, without a big future in my books. That's not what gamers want. And the demand regulates the market sooner or later.

Of course it depends on your business structure and your investment deals. But there are other companies with investors who commited themselves to open development. It's possible - if you just want to.
Scholdarr, I'm coming from the same place as you. That is to say, I also will be happy to read about more specific issues. But I think you might be exaggerating a bit with this "what gamers want" thing. I don't have statistics, but I think it's common sense that the vast, vast, vast majority of the people who eventually buy games, any game, don't follow the development beyond the occasional article here or there. We, the "hardcore" fans who follow the development closely, are hardly any economical determinant factor. What are we - hundreds? Let's go wild and say thousands? This is a game that is aiming at the millions, and then some. We're inconsequential from an economical standpoint.

When I chat with other Israelis about games - not just TW3 - they rarely know anything about the development. They just wait for the game to be released (and usually they hear just by chance about anticipated games being released), maybe catch a YouTube video here or there, and that's it. Now I realize that talking with a few people isn't indicative of millions of others, but, again, I think it's common sense that tells us that most people who purchase games are like this.

This "gamer demand" can't regulate the market. That's suggesting that from May 19 and onwards, a substantial amount of people won't purchase the game not due to its quality, but because certain information was not relayed during December-April. I'll even take an extreme example - a game is released, and up until that point the company tells you nothing about it, due to whatever reason of theirs. Gamers demand and demand again to know what's going on, but the company keeps silent. The game is released. Reviews are positive. Will people not buy it because of the silence that preceded it? That makes no sense, so I see no way that this gamer demand can affect the market in any way. Let's not toot our own horn.

I find kind of funny all the messages about how CDPR wouldn't release a buggy or broken game and that's the only reason for the delay, i guess those people don't remember the other 2 games launches. Of course CDPR did awesome games and a superb post launch campaign, patches, free DLC (or additional adventures for TW1), impressive EE but both games weren't fitted at launch.

I'm sure there will be an interview at some point in the coming weeks where they will discuss the delay in some form or fashion.

If I recall correctly there was a couple of interviews after the first delay where people asked why (Also it was asked at E3). Back then of course the answer was just "Polish" and people kind of accepted, or more accurately, expected that. The answer this time might be a little deeper and more complicated, so perhaps they won't be willing to go into depth with it, but certainly the next time someone does and interview with CDPR they'll definitely ask the question. So we might get something, or perhaps they will be willing to go into details at some point after the game has launched (Like when 2077 starts getting information and people inevitably ask whether it will have the same issues/development/delays as Witcher 3).

I find kind of funny all the messages about how CDPR wouldn't release a buggy or broken game and that's the only reason for the delay, i guess those people don't remember the other 2 games launches. Of course CDPR did awesome games and a superb post launch campaign, patches, free DLC (or additional adventures for TW1), impressive EE but both games weren't fitted at launch.

I think it has to do with CDPR now being more experienced but also being in a better more comfortable position than before.

TW1 was their first game, and TW2 was made amidst serious financial issues and a rushed transition to a new engine. I guess part of the big hype around TW3 is to see CDPR's max potential for the first time. And yeah I think the devs said that they really didnt want to have to make an EE this time, just get it right since launch. Now an open world multiplatform RPG might not be the easiest objective to achieve under those conditions but who knows....

It probably went like this. Everything was getting polished prior to the bug encounter. They try to add something in last minute and turns out they need this certain thing for a better game. Implementing the new thing decides to bug up the whole game. So now they have to analyze every single line of code or phrase and put in new commands that comply with this new thing.

OR. They are downgrading for consoles because it turns out Witcher 3 graphics ask too much for the console. So they have to create new textures for everything major.

OR . These "details that need to be corrected" where fragments in the storyline and certain quests. Like they don't want you to be able to start a certain quest until a prerequisite quest has been finished before hand. Could also be redundancies monster spawns when you are out in the open world.

the Witcher 3 is a huge change from W1&2. Open world is a huge challenge to CDPR because it is their first time pulling it off. A lot of things need to be taken into account. exploration, level restrictions as per area, quest queuing, monster spawns. Its almost like an MMO.

Im running out of games to play that are worth playing. the new GTA , DAI, CoD, etc are not worth my time. The gaming industry surely has taken a plunge into the toilet because of false deadlines. "When its ready" should have been CDPR's go-to quote. Only revealing a release date when CDs are being burned and packaged.

I think it has to do with CDPR now being more experienced but also being in a better more comfortable position than before.

TW1 was their first game, and TW2 was made amidst serious financial issues and a rushed transition to a new engine. I guess part of the big hype around TW3 is to see CDPR's max potential for the first time. And yeah I think the devs said that they really didnt want to have to make an EE this time, just get it right since launch. Now an open world multiplatform RPG might not be the easiest objective to achieve under those conditions but who knows....

But TW2 was really fine with the first minor patches, the EE was an extra (on TW1 was a must for making it a good game) if TW3 just need "polish" (meaning parts you can correct with a couple of patches after release) you don't delay the game 3 months with the extra pressure that means.

But TW2 was really fine with the first minor patches, the EE was an extra (on TW1 was a must for making it a good game) if TW3 just need "polish" (meaning parts you can correct with a couple of patches after release) you don't delay the game 3 months with the extra pressure that means.

Yeah indeed, I was just speculating. Personally I think that the delay was not just for more polish and adjusting, I think it was something else we're not being told.

I hate it when games get released too early, and we end up getting a buggy mess. Regretfully, it seems to be becoming a standard.... I'm all for CDPR taking their time, and at least letting us know as soon as they can that there will be a delay. I was pretty sad when I first heard, but definitely not upset with CDPR for doing the right thing. Still stoked!!!

Rockstar delayed the PC version because they said

“We’re glad to see so many of you are excited for the upcoming release of the new versions of GTAV and we look forward to sharing more details with you soon. We are also incredibly excited to be bringing GTAV to the PC, but the game requires a little more development time in order to ensure that it is as amazing and polished as possible. Please do stay tuned as we reveal new features and information about all the new versions in the weeks ahead.”

Which is a great thing. Maybe it won't run like shit like GTA 4 did. CDPR is delaying the game to make it more polished, and I can't blame them. They got voted "The most anticipated game of 2015" and they want to live up to that.

Why are the PS4 and XBONE versions released then... Do you see where I'm coming from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator: Disputes over forum moderation are to be conducted by private message only. Posts attempting to challenge a direction posted by a moderator may be deleted.

I'm still concerned.
I mean, rushing it out the door certainly isn't a good thing, but the fact that we're seeing multiple delays certainly isn't a good sign either as it suggests shoddy organization.
If it was a good thing, Duke Nukem Forever would've been the best game in existence.

So, the "So, no more delays." in this article means what exactly:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...red-promises-no-more-delays-for-the-witcher-3

Oh, and another great quote from the same article:

"This is not our first game; we are not newbies."

You better not delay the PC version due to problems with the console versions. A not so happy fan...

That is very bizarre.

Top Bottom