The Recipes Thread

+
Made this for a beach picnic, where it stood out among all the other potato salads.

RUSSIAN (sort of) POTATO SALAD
If I spoke Greek, I'd call this "rosiki salata". Variations of it are called "Russian salad" pretty much everywhere except Russia, where it's "salat Olivier". I stick to the Greek preference of using no meat in it, but it's delicious with ham.

Woww this looks amazing! And I like that it is vegetarian ^_^

that's the only vegetarian that matters to me.
Anyway, isn't someone a vegan if they don't eat eggs?
There are many degrees of vegetarianism. My older daughter is ovo-lacto-vegetarian.
Vegan is even more strict; a vegan would eat none of these: eggs, dairy products, honey, anything made with gelatin or rennet.
Only a few seem to be concerned about produce tended and harvested by underpaid, overworked laborers.

Last edited:
There are many degrees of vegetarianism. My older daughter is ovo-lacto-vegetarian.
Vegan is even more strict; a vegan would eat none of these: eggs, dairy products, honey, anything made with gelatin or rennet.
Only a few seem to be concerned about produce tended and harvested by underpaid, overworked laborers.

I don't eat anything with rennet or gelatin, and I do try and get my dairy products from ethical sources. Honestly I think a lot of vegans eat really badly, I knew one who only ate crisps and coffee.

My dad was a dairy farmer who worked every day, sunup to well past sundown, and the farm rarely made a profit. That comes from buying retail and selling wholesale. I guarantee you those fruit and vegetable pickers in California make more money than he did. And, since American agriculture has kept a lot of people from starving and has made fresh food affordable to most, I'm not going to call it an ethical problem that unskilled labor is paid less than skilled.

My dad was a dairy farmer who worked every day, sunup to well past sundown, and the farm rarely made a profit. That comes from buying retail and selling wholesale. I guarantee you those fruit and vegetable pickers in California make more money than he did. And, since American agriculture has kept a lot of people from starving and has made fresh food affordable to most, I'm not going to call it an ethical problem that unskilled labor is paid less than skilled.

I wish I had more money so I could buy organic food from more ethical sources, instead of giant supermarkets. Maybe once I'm working I can begin to support farmers directly, because it's really not fair how little they are paid by supermarkets.

I wish I had more money so I could buy organic food from more ethical sources, instead of giant supermarkets. Maybe once I'm working I can begin to support farmers directly, because it's really not fair how little they are paid by supermarkets.

"Local food" and "farm to table" movements are trying to do this, but I have my doubts that they can be made practical on a scale of 300 million consumers. The economics of food distribution and sales is a strange thing: both farmers and retailers do business on the thinnest of gross margins, with many layers of distribution raising the price.

Anyway, to relate to the topic, everything in that salad came to me from an independent grocer. I didn't use my own pickles, though; mine are too spicy.

Last edited:
We've been buying organic produce for a while now and it's one of the best things we've ever done. Never tasted better tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli, you name it.

It should be a universal human right to have access to affordable organic food. We're just poisoning ourselves.

I don't think organic is the difference, it's how freshly the stuff has been picked and if it's allowed to mature naturally versus various "rushing" methods- which admittedly are more feasible in commercial agriculture. Organic produce also spoils faster so you're forced to eat it while it's got the highest nutritional potential- though this also drives up the cost. It is true that if you've never had anything but supermarket produce, you don't even know what vegetables and fruits taste like, or smell like.

I'm in the extremely lucky situation of having a supermarket that sells mostly (I'd say 70%) cheap regional conventional fruits and vegetables. The few things they sometimes offer as Organic are utter crap compared to the regional products.
An organic Peach from 10.000KM away can never be as good as the conventional one from 15KM away.

However after doing some testing on my friends I did find out that all the Organic tastes better was confirmation bias. I cut the damn tomato in half that side they said was so much better was the one i labeled organic.

Guest 3765545

Recipe for homemade yogurt - per liter of cow milk boiled and cooled to 46-48 degrees Celsius put 2 tablespoons of yogurt and stir slagase in jars or in a saucepan and turn cloth or blanket so After 3 or 4 hours and put in refrigerator. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucia buns for Lucia Day.

I doubled the recipe from Elise Bauer's Simply Recipes: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/st_lucia_saffron_buns/

Elise says Lucia buns with too much fat come out dense and dry; she describes this as a low-fat recipe. Low-fat is a relative term when you are using 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of sour cream, and 4 eggs.

Mixing and kneading this by hand is a pretty good upper-body workout. Those who are lazy and lucky enough to have a stand mixer should have an easy time of it.

First, proof the yeast:
1-1/2 cups milk
Saffron, 1 teaspoon threads, or 1/4 teaspoon powder, or 1 tablespoon liquid (our grocer has Persian liquid saffron)
2 teaspoons sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons (2 packets) active dry yeast
Scald the milk, remove from heat, stir in the sugar and saffron, and cool to 110F (no longer hot to the touch). Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk. Let stand 15 minutes; if the yeast is not dissolved by then, stir it in. Let stand long enough to tell it's fermenting. (If it doesn't, your yeast is dead; start over with good yeast.)

Liquid and dry ingredients:
7 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 eggs
1/2 cup quark (yogurt or sour cream will do)
Sift the dry ingredients together. Mix the butter, eggs, and quark until smooth. Add this mixture, alternating with the yeast and milk, to the dry ingredients. Mix well. The dough will be sticky at this point. Add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the dough, mixing after each addition. After a few tablespoons and a few minutes of mixing, the dough will set up. Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and knead for 10 minutes.

Let rise until doubled (the time will vary, depending on your yeast and how warm your kitchen is). Punch down, and divide into 24 parts. Roll each into a snake about 2 feet long. Working from both ends at once, roll the snake up into an S shape. Place on a greased baking pan, with plenty of room between rolls.

Garnish
Raisins
2 eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup water just until smooth
Stick a raisin into each eye of the "S" shaped bun. Let rise until doubled. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until nicely browned.

@Guy N'wah I've run into this problem before converting recipes... How many threads of Saffron are a teaspoon? If I stick a teaspoon in there it's way more than I'd use for a 8 person sized paella. and considering I pay 35€ per gram of Saffron that seems like a lot.

@Guy N'wah I've run into this problem before converting recipes... How many threads of Saffron are a teaspoon? If I stick a teaspoon in there it's way more than I'd use for a 8 person sized paella. and considering I pay 35€ per gram of Saffron that seems like a lot.

Ooh, the conversions for saffron are really vague. Somewhere around 1/3 gram = 1 teaspoon threads = 1/4 teaspoon powdered. You could easily cut the saffron in that recipe back to a half teaspoon without hurting anything.

Saffron is really expensive to begin with, but the markup on the Spanish stuff is ridiculous. Iran produces much more saffron than Spain does, and high-style Persian cooking uses it extravagantly. Persian grocers carry it as a liquid extract, which is pretty dilute, but easy to use and not ridiculously expensive. That's what I use.

That's the problem, I have a great delicacies store that sells me high quality Iranian saffron for the cheap price of 35€ per gram Somewhere around 500 threads a gram, never seen it in liquid form. grounded saffron yeah but not buying that crap. It's mostly coloranté with a hint of saffron around here.

My paella takes 20-30 threads depending on freshness of the the saffron.

The threads are the only way to go here, the good ones are at least pretty fresh and have a good taste, even though the coloring isn't that bright yellow most people seem to expect for a paella.

The taste is perfect, just I found more acceptance if I used "egg yolk food coloring powder" to fake the "fake" saffron coloring most people seem to expect. Sure If I threw 20€ worth of saffron against it the color would be great, the taste however ugh too much.

BTW fake yellow egg yolk powder 1€ per 20gram, cheapest crappy shitty saffron powder I can find 20€ per 1 gram. Good saffron threads 35€ per gram.

Actually now that I think about t never seen or heard of liquid forms of saffron before... And I did attend a culinary school, well for a mere 2 years, till the yelling "yes chef" became too much for me and I rather became my own boss. Guess liquid saffron isn't common in Europe, well at least not Western Europe.

Some of my favorite dishes are stews made with mirepoix and meat cooked until it gives up its gelatin. This is one I had never made before.

Cuban-Style Ropa Vieja (Spanish style has chickpeas; Cuban style doesn't.)

The recipe is from Saveur magazine, which has very fine recipes. Alterations mine.

6 oz. bacon (US "streaky bacon", our grocer has excellent pepper bacon)
3 lb. chuck roast (most any stewing meat will do)
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
Hot peppers, thinly sliced (I used 1 very big Ancho pepper)
6 oz. tomato paste (1 standard can)
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. thyme
1 tbsp. oregano
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
½ cup dry white wine
2 cups water or beef stock
16 oz. diced or crushed tomatoes (1 small can)
4 tbsp. chopped, pitted green olives
2 tbsp sliced jarred pimiento peppers
(You can use pimiento-stuffed olives.)
2 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained

Render the bacon, save the fat, chop the bacon and set aside. Salt and pepper the roast generously, and brown in the bacon fat. Set the roast aside.

Cook the onion, peppers, and garlic in the remaining fat, until tender; do not let the garlic brown. Add the cumin, oregano, and thyme; mix and continue to cook until fragrant. Add the tomato paste; mix and continue to cook until it just starts to caramelize. Add the wine, stock, tomatoes, and bay leaf; mix and continue to cook until well blended.

Add back the roast and bacon, cover and simmer for at least two hours, or as long as all day. The meat should be falling-apart tender. Remove the meat, and shred it. (Two forks, one in each hand, make a good shredder.) Return the shredded meat to the pot, add the olives, pimientos, and capers, and simmer until well blended and fragrant.

Serve with rice, black beans, and fried plantains.

Top Bottom