Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to add that Mr.Iwinski said "in the coming days" for something else I guess at the beginning of the year and that meant within the next few months, I don't even remember what but - I wouldn't take those words in the literal sense.

EDIT: And I know they are two different people, that isn't my point :p

Pretty simple to figure out the spec requirements for Witcher 3. If it can run on the next gen consoles, all you have to do is make a checklist to see if your current PC hardware is equal or greater than the console specs. That's not to say that you could possibly have a GPU that is weaker than the consoles because you could have superior processing power.

Games these days are more CPU dependent and less GPU. If a dev could clarify which of the two the witcher 3 will be drawing most from that would be great for those wondering.

For me , as long as I can run it on medium settings at least I am happy. 6 core 3.5 cpu gtx 550 ti, 8gb ram. I am certain I can at least run it without too many hiccups.

well, leaves time for big maxwell to come out....

seriously, i'm upset that the fastest single cards are choking at 1080p with stuff like DA:I.

I NEED MORE POWER

well, leaves time for big maxwell to come out....

And there's also the upcoming AMD cards to look forward to.
According to rumors, (from Chiphell, who have been VERY reliable with these sorts of leaks) the new card is looking extremely good.
View attachment 8452
This is based on the averages of every game on max including things like max MSAA, which have always been more favorable on Nvidia cards, and even then it's the strongest GPU there, with all the cards above that being SLI/Xfire configurations.
Looking extremely promising, and I'm sure the next Maxwell cards are gonna be good too.
Good news for us, some competitive pricing between the two companies will happen I'm sure.

Attachments

• ab4f4b37cd.jpg
    ab4f4b37cd.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 39
Pretty simple to figure out the spec requirements for Witcher 3. If it can run on the next gen consoles, all you have to do is make a checklist to see if your current PC hardware is equal or greater than the console specs..

Unfortunately more and more games are releasing for both console and PC with incredibly demanding requirements. Maybe TW3 will be a little better about this (I hope so) but don't expect miracles.. Comparing the hardware between consoles and PC is something many of this forum like and have a tendency to do but IMHO is a very wrong practice. PC gaming is a world apart about requirements. Doest it make sense? Maybe not, but that's it

And there's also the upcoming AMD cards to look forward to.
According to rumors, (from Chiphell, who have been VERY reliable with these sorts of leaks) the new card is looking extremely good.
View attachment 8452
This is based on the averages of every game on max including things like max MSAA, which have always been more favorable on Nvidia cards, and even then it's the strongest GPU there, with all the cards above that being SLI/Xfire configurations.
Looking extremely promising, and I'm sure the next Maxwell cards are gonna be good too.
Good news for us, some competitive pricing between the two companies will happen I'm sure.
I was about to buy gtx 970 for W3 but after delay I will wait more. Questions are will Captain Jack be released before May? is it in fact R9 380x schedule to compete with gtx 970 and is there R9 390x that will compete witch gtx 980? What will be the price? Will amd use new TMCs 20nm node? And most important is it worth to buy AMD card since W3 is nvidias gameworks game?

Last edited:
Will amd use new TMCs 20nm node? And most important is it worth to buy AMD card since W3 is nvidias gameworks game?
No AMD is not going with TSMC but rather sticking with Global Foundries is what I read somewhere yesterday and that Nvidia might be skipping 20nm and going with 16nm FinFET directly. Dunno what node AMD mentioned, most likely 20.

Its a bit vague right now. NV did say earlier they'll ship some 20nm devices, but that could just be some other SoCs and not GPUs.

And for your last question:
Do you like all GameWorks features and want them? Go Nvidia
Do you like some GameWorks features that work on both cards and don't mind if some aren't available? Go AMD.

Last edited:
I was about to buy gtx 970 for W3 but after delay I will wait more. Questions are will Captain Jack be released before May? is it in fact R9 380x schedule to compete with gtx 970 and is there R9 390x that will compete witch gtx 980? What will be the price? Will amd use new TMCs 20nm node? And most important is it worth to buy AMD card since W3 is nvidias gameworks game?

Nobody has any idea at this point.

The existence of the "Captain Jack" is only a rumor and has only one source to vouch for it. It is a very attractive rumor, one I think all of us would really like to be within shouting distance of true. But no matter how many sites repeat it, there is only one claim that the card exists at all.

AMD has refused to acknowledge that there might be such a card. They're tight-lipped about future products, so that doesn't mean it doesn't actually exist.

But any claim that anybody (outside of AMD insiders who won't say it exists) knows anything resembling a release date is pure baloney.

As to TSMC and 20nm, it's not likely. TSMC is booked up to the gills with orders for SoC devices in 20nm, and their 20nm tech is low-power, not high-performance. Sid's right, look for AMD product to be made by GlobalFoundries and Samsung.

Last edited:
No AMD is not going with TSMC but rather sticking with Global Foundries is what I read somewhere yesterday and that Nvidia might be skipping 20nm and going with 16nm FinFET directly. Dunno what node AMD mentioned, most likely 20.

Its a bit vague right now. NV did say earlier they'll ship some 20nm devices, but that could just be some other SoCs and not GPUs.

And for your last question:
Do you like all GameWorks features and want them? Go Nvidia
Do you like some GameWorks features that work on both cards and don't mind if some aren't available? Go AMD.
Can you have nvidia fur on amd cards?

---------- Updated at 11:43 AM ----------

Nobody has any idea at this point.

The existence of the "Captain Jack" is only a rumor and has only one source to vouch for it. It is a very attractive rumor, one I think all of us would really like to be within shouting distance of true. But no matter how many sites repeat it, there is only one claim that the card exists at all.

AMD has refused to acknowledge that there might be such a card. They're tight-lipped about future products, so that doesn't mean it doesn't actually exist.

But any claim that anybody (outside of AMD insiders who won't say it exists) knows anything resembling a release date is pure baloney.

As to TSMC and 20nm, it's not likely. TSMC is booked up to the gills with orders for SoC devices in 20nm, and their 20nm tech is low-power, not high-performance. Sid's right, look for AMD product to be made by GlobalFoundries and Samsung.
If new card is GCN 1.2 on 28 nm ( and above chart is real) I am not sure how they manage to improve power eficiency on old architecture . GF and Samsung will go for 14 nm in 2016 so by then amd must stick with TSMC unless they'r getting mature 20 nm node from GF/Samsung which would explain power efficiency improvement...

Last edited:

Apparently AMD are going with Samsung for their chips. At 20nm (Not entirely sure on Samsung's nodes).
They've waited this long so they can have enough in production for their new cards, supposedly.
Of course that's just a rumor. But wouldn't be surprising considering AMD have almost always been first to jump on a new node process.

There's been more than one rumor to be fair. Shipping manifests from the Zauba shipping database, it's been spotted twice there now. It's referencing Fiji, but I'm certain Captain Jack is just a nickname for Fiji anyway.

Can you have nvidia fur on amd cards?
Yes, it's done using DirectCompute. AMD cards are usually ahead in Compute performance too on their cards, we've yet to see how that will translate to actual performance though since it's obviously an Nvidia technology, but it's looking good in that respect considering how the other Nvidia technologies are performing on AMD cards like HBAO+. (Although HBAO+ is just their own derivative of an open source project that was designed for both cards...)

Last edited:
Apparently AMD are going with Samsung for their chips. At 20nm (Not entirely sure on Samsung's nodes).
Samsung's node is most likely that psuedo-14nm [[]] which is equal to 16nm FinFET AFAIK

Note: The [[]] refer to the extra symbols which I don't remember

It's not clear if Captain Jack is R9 380X or 390X, I heard somewhere that AMD is preparing R9 380X to compete with both GTX 970 and 980 while 390X is reserved to compete with what Nvidia offers next (like 980 Ti or Titan 2) but it's just a rumor.

No clue about the price but I am quite certain it will be lower than Nvidia and maybe they will do something like what Nvidia did with GTX 970 (amazing price - amazing performance) to cut through GTX 900 hype.

No clue about 20nm but Guy N'wah said that 20nm is unlikely so I'll accept that but 300 series will feature HBM and if they achieved Captain Jack like performance and power efficiency on 28nm then it's already quite impressive for me.

Like I said many times before most of Nvidia GameWorks tech works on AMD (if not all). The only things that don't work are hardware based AA techniques like TXAA and MFAA and features like Apex Turbulence which requires Nvidia GPU. The Witcher 3 only use Nvidia HBAO+, HairWorks, PhysX, Destruction and Clothing so everything will work on AMD and PhysX based stuff will be offloaded to CPU.

AMD is also closing performance gap fast for example with their latest Omega drivers I felt huge difference in performance of games like Far Cry 4 and AC Unity so it's not correct to say that Nvidia techs hit AMD GPUs really hard, it was something in past but not anymore for example HBAO+ hit both AMD and Nvidia in almost same way and I also saw same performance levels in FC4's implementation of HairWorks so I think TW3 will work just fine on AMD.

It's not clear if Captain Jack is R9 380X or 390X, I heard somewhere that AMD is preparing R9 380X to compete with both GTX 970 and 980 while 390X is reserved to compete with what Nvidia offers next (like 980 Ti or Titan 2) but it's just a rumor.

No clue about the price but I am quite certain it will be lower than Nvidia and maybe they will do something like what Nvidia did with GTX 970 (amazing price - amazing performance) to cut through GTX 900 hype.

No clue about 20nm but Guy N'wah said that 20nm is unlikely so I'll accept that but 300 series will feature HBM and if they achieved Captain Jack like performance and power efficiency on 28nm then it's already quite impressive for me.

Like I said many times before most of Nvidia GameWorks tech works on AMD (if not all). The only things that don't work are hardware based AA techniques like TXAA and MFAA and features like Apex Turbulence which requires Nvidia GPU. The Witcher 3 only use Nvidia HBAO+, HairWorks, PhysX, Destruction and Clothing so everything will work on AMD and PhysX based stuff will be offloaded to CPU.

AMD is also closing performance gap fast for example with their latest Omega drivers I felt huge difference in performance of games like Far Cry 4 and AC Unity so it's not correct to say that Nvidia techs hit AMD GPUs really hard, it was something in past but not anymore for example HBAO+ hit both AMD and Nvidia in almost same way and I also saw same performance levels in FC4's implementation of HairWorks so I think TW3 will work just fine on AMD.

Ok ,thank's for clarifying, have plenty time until May so will keep eye on new cards, anyhow I think CapJck will be only amd released in first half of 2015 and will directly compete with gtx 980 as after price cut 290/290x are set to compete with 970.

---------- Updated at 06:34 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 06:35 PM ----------

I red somewhere cdpr will announce system requirements soon anyone knows if that's true since they delay release I would think we could be waiting until at least April...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom