Combat system

+
right.....sometimes all you need is a good hard drop kick

That is a pretty good one... but the one that followed that one is much better... ;)

combo system

Hello combat system with elements of acrobatics such as to run along the wall to accelerate in the battle mode rage. the opportunity to ride bikes and to be beaten them kinds of combos over 100 options and the impact of the feet and hands. to hit multiple opponents throwing and hand to beat improvised means, for example, hit a chair person on the ground the ability to fight in the style of cyber kung fu game called cyberpunk. strikes from Muay Thai.and best of capoeira double kick triple jump tackles blows from the wall such as a kick flip with opening leg for a kick in the face like in the movie undisputed 3 add the game mode the goal to grips throws enemies combo series with the glade 7-8 up to 16 enemies at the same time.modes to comberiati for example rage with speed as acts of rage to throw enemies to the sides until they fell on scroti Provisi sabhat and combos such as the one in the wall to throw another into the floor of the rest in the crowd. combat acrobatics with elements of kung fu. the ability to pick up items to add to the hero sword, nun-Chucky stick Bo or sword Blaster and katana at the same time the Sword-Blaster and cyber weapons-Blaster staff with an electric bayonet.

Last edited:
One could easily call any game "fantasy" since none of them is a perfect reality simulation.
But there is a relative amounts of "reality" a game can attempt to simulate. D&D makes little attempt to do so, it fun, fast, relatively easy to understand/play. The World of Darkness (Vampire) system adds a goodly amount of "realistic" to it's "fantasy", not really a beer-n-pretzels game like D&D but still fun, pretty fast, and a bit less easy to understand/play. Now something like say ARMA does a pretty good job of simulating some aspects of reality but it still has significant "fantasy" elements (the First Aid system for instance).

The whole point of a game is to have fun, let's face it a completely realistic reality simulation would be anything but.

I wonder if this will be true in 30 years or less.

I enjoy some pretty hard things in reality. Running, lifting, finding out things like you can actually put yourself into shock. At what line will we draw the reality curtain?

Cyberpunk has the Braindance, which lets you feel, see, etc exactly what the actor experienced - or what they simulate. Somewhat moreso, even. We will probably be there in less than a century.

That bad?

My Marid Auran character is thus not so screwed after all.

Pre-augment Marid or post?

Anyway, either way, 2020 has a LOT more guns than Gravity Fails and a LOT more gear. Marid didn't like guns, but what he faced were flechette pistols, some long arms if I recall. There is a WGF supplement for 2020, you know, poet? It's pretty cool. ANyway, the tech level is less mean than core 2020.

But, yes, let's say you have a full conversion or heavily plated cyborg. We'll exclude Dragoon and ACPA, for multiple reasons, the simplest of which is they no longer fit in any kind of society or game context.

So, Full plated, typically 25 SP. You may have - probably have - stacked it with something else, coat or subdermal or SKW or something, bring it up to, let's say, 30 SP. BTM of -5 for incoming damage, the max.

Now someone shoots you in the chest with a burst of 12 gauge. Hits, oh, 3 times. Pretty typical...you might see hits of 10 from a pro. That shotgun does 16 damage on average, per hit. If it's buckshot, you're okay. If they loaded solid slug, your armor is now worth 15 points...You're probably okay even now. Little bruised.
If they loaded Thermite, ( API bigger brother), you're seriously wounded -and- on fire. From the first hit. Everything after that..yeah.
If they loaded HEP, ( modified for a shotgun), armour is ignored, you're Critical in terms of stun check and Serious in terms of real damage..per hit.
If they loaded Slasher rounds, 75% chance to wrap the monowire around a limb and imobilize it, head hits sever the neck 50% of the time.

And now, for fun, let's say the guy shot you with one of those bad guys above from a lever action shotgun..only hits a couple times, but hey! He electrothermally enhanced the rounds! So the rounds are hitting 50% harder! Now a simple 12 gauge slug knocks you nearly into serious on one hit. A 10 gauge is much worse. An ETE 12 gauge with a Slasher round? Bye bye.

And the cost for that hardware? Well, a shotgun is pretty cheap. The M-12 costs 950 eb and you can burst up to 10 hits. Ow. A Hurricane, favourite of Max-Tac, costs 1,000eb and can dump up to 20 rounds in you. A Sternmeyer Stakeout 10 costs 450eb, x 1.5 for ETE, total of 675eb. The above rounds range from 15 eb for 12 to 75 eb per Slasher shot.

So for something in the range of 825 eb to 1200 eb and stuff you can buy without much trouble on the Street, yes, you can put down a cyborg costing 20000 to 55000 eb.

If he doesn't get your first, of course.

TL;DR : Yes, absolutely! Cyberpunk 2020 doesn't increase Hitpoints or Health as you level and Guns R Mean.

^ All of this.

Some of my players had really bad surprise, thinking naively that cyborgs are undefeatable.
"What about going in this boostergang HQ, killing them all and steal their goods?"
A few second later, he needed a bodybag, but not for the one he thought would need it first.

If some rounds can go throught hard armor like tanks, etc...
You can imagine that a body armor, even the most advanced will not be as "hard and heavy" as a tank one (your body still have to support it, even with advanced upgrades).
The only good advantage, are your boosted reflexes, you'll shot before everyone most of the time, tho, it doesn't mean you'll kill everybody, rounds can miss, they can take cover, etc...

And as you can imagine, if you miss them, trust me, they'll do their best so they don't miss you (and the more you'll be impressive looking or skilled, the bigger gun they'll take).

The most powerfull weapon around is the railgun, not easily aviable (very hard in fact, in 2020 it's still somewhat experimental), but it's bullets can go throught a building like if it was butter, in Cyberpunk, you don't need much to kill something, as Sard said, the hard part is to not be shot first.

Even a kid with a handgun, he just need to hide somewhere, aiming for a few turn, and give you a perfect headshot, if the bullet goes in the unprotected area of your face (30% chance), you're dead, in a single bullet, not even armored.

Last edited:
As long as it mixes the RPG mechanics and more modern fighting mechanics well.
I guess the Witcher is a good example, hopefully the devs will play around with it alot before finalizing it.

TW is terrible when it comes to modelling modern fighting mechanics. It may look well due to pre-recorded real animations of actual fighting people, but mechanic itself and execution were both poor. Sui Generis has an excellent model of combat, even in its unfinished state. Way more involving, way more action(y) and requiring to think at the same time.

Well yeah, I said as an example for RPG crossing with modern fighting mechanics.
Witcher is a good example at the RPG cross, alot of other games are good examples of modern fighting mechanics.
I hope the devs have a good look around.
Seeing as this is a cyberpunk game and there will be some kind of cybernetic upgrades and alike, having a good melee mechanic to accompany ranged would be good.

The most powerfull weapon around is the railgun, not easily aviable (very hard in fact, in 2020 it's still somewhat experimental) ...

And likely to stay that way for a while.
As with lasers the big problem is power.
While you could certainly make a rifle size railgun you'd need power cable running to the truck-sized generator/capacitor necessary to power it.

The US Navy has experimented with one aboard a ship. Needless to say the engines that can move a ship produce plenty of power.

Sui Generis has an excellent model of combat ...

IMPRESSIVE!
I'll never play it personally but the FPS crowd should love it.

Last edited:
Anyway, even if you stumble upon one by "the luckiest day of your life wich is in fact a dream", you still can be killed by a single bullet.
The bigger gun isn't always the best way to go in Cyberpunk (unless you want to kill big things).
You can start the game, get the shittiest gun around and still kill a cyborg by a clean headshot and some luck, the annoying thing is:
You're not ready for the consequencies which will follows.
He had buddies, Trauma Team, Police around, Your shitty gun can jam, etc...

He had buddies, Trauma Team, Police around, Your shitty gun can jam, etc...

Yeah, many many years ago (c.a. 1983) a friend started a "Traveller" campaign (still runs it occasionally) and the very first session the hold out weapon (Body Pistol in Traveller jargon) I'd managed to hang on to jammed the very first time I tried to fire it. Fortunately for me the guy was so startled by having a 2m female Aslan stick a gun in his face when he lifted the visor of his Combat Armor for a smoke my excellent Dexterity stat (12) allowed me the chance to punch him in the face.
Lesson learned, NEVER rely on tech ...

Why FPS crowd? It's more like Diablo meeting Chivalry, only better than each. I think you should give it a try someday, when it's released.

Anything that requires split-second timing to parry attacks and constant juggling of position and facing isn't my cup-o-tea.

I wonder if this will be true in 30 years or less.

I enjoy some pretty hard things in reality. Running, lifting, finding out things like you can actually put yourself into shock. At what line will we draw the reality curtain?

Cyberpunk has the Braindance, which lets you feel, see, etc exactly what the actor experienced - or what they simulate. Somewhat moreso, even. We will probably be there in less than a century.

Pre-augment Marid or post?

Anyway, either way, 2020 has a LOT more guns than Gravity Fails and a LOT more gear. Marid didn't like guns, but what he faced were flechette pistols, some long arms if I recall. There is a WGF supplement for 2020, you know, poet? It's pretty cool. ANyway, the tech level is less mean than core 2020.

But, yes, let's say you have a full conversion or heavily plated cyborg. We'll exclude Dragoon and ACPA, for multiple reasons, the simplest of which is they no longer fit in any kind of society or game context.

So, Full plated, typically 25 SP. You may have - probably have - stacked it with something else, coat or subdermal or SKW or something, bring it up to, let's say, 30 SP. BTM of -5 for incoming damage, the max.

Now someone shoots you in the chest with a burst of 12 gauge. Hits, oh, 3 times. Pretty typical...you might see hits of 10 from a pro. That shotgun does 16 damage on average, per hit. If it's buckshot, you're okay. If they loaded solid slug, your armor is now worth 15 points...You're probably okay even now. Little bruised.
If they loaded Thermite, ( API bigger brother), you're seriously wounded -and- on fire. From the first hit. Everything after that..yeah.
If they loaded HEP, ( modified for a shotgun), armour is ignored, you're Critical in terms of stun check and Serious in terms of real damage..per hit.
If they loaded Slasher rounds, 75% chance to wrap the monowire around a limb and imobilize it, head hits sever the neck 50% of the time.

And now, for fun, let's say the guy shot you with one of those bad guys above from a lever action shotgun..only hits a couple times, but hey! He electrothermally enhanced the rounds! So the rounds are hitting 50% harder! Now a simple 12 gauge slug knocks you nearly into serious on one hit. A 10 gauge is much worse. An ETE 12 gauge with a Slasher round? Bye bye.

And the cost for that hardware? Well, a shotgun is pretty cheap. The M-12 costs 950 eb and you can burst up to 10 hits. Ow. A Hurricane, favourite of Max-Tac, costs 1,000eb and can dump up to 20 rounds in you. A Sternmeyer Stakeout 10 costs 450eb, x 1.5 for ETE, total of 675eb. The above rounds range from 15 eb for 12 to 75 eb per Slasher shot.

So for something in the range of 825 eb to 1200 eb and stuff you can buy without much trouble on the Street, yes, you can put down a cyborg costing 20000 to 55000 eb.

If he doesn't get your first, of course.

TL;DR : Yes, absolutely! Cyberpunk 2020 doesn't increase Hitpoints or Health as you level and Guns R Mean.

Seriously after reading all this all I said out aloud was "hngggggggg"

---------- Updated at 06:46 PM ----------

Have you played the prototype? Cause enemy can indeed move. Can they deliberately dodge your bullets? I don't think so.

But last time I check enemies wasn't able to pause the game at any time in combat in Baldur's Gate, or start/end turns in Fallout.

In video game combat you need some degree of conventionality.

Lmao you know what we need? Agent smith type enemy!

Also I like the idea of not being able to pause during serious events (bad fights, war etc etc). You turn the console and or pc off, you loose the chapter.

I guess thats +1 for progress building.

Resurrecting a near-dead thread here.

I'm currently playing a game called "7.62 High Caliber" with the Blue Sun mod (both available on Steam - cheap).
A team/party-based combat game/simulation.

While the combat system isn't FPS it is real-time with pause, quite realistic, very lethal, and has a number of very VERY nice features I could spend hours on.

Seriously someone at CDPR needs to be made aware of this game and try it out, if the combat system for CP2077 isn't finalized yet there is a gold mine of ideas and inspiration here!

If you want to know more about the game here are an excellent set of non-spoiler game guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImEO8Y-h5Q

Last edited:
While the combat system isn't FPS it is real-time with pause, quite realistic, !

real-time with pause, quite realistic

ARE YOU MAAAADDDDDDDDD?

I even went to extra effort to emphasise that!

Real Time With Pause. Please! This ain't no Baldur's Gate!

If you're trying to control more then a single character it's impossible to have an FPS combat system.

Given the number of skills available in Cyberpunk it's unlikely to be a strictly single character game, you'll have a team/party to control. I suppose NPCs could be totally under AI control thus allow FPS ... but have you ever seen a games AI that wasn't mostly brain dead?

If you're trying to control more then a single character it's impossible to have an FPS combat system.

Given the number of skills available in Cyberpunk it's unlikely to be a strictly single character game, you'll have a team/party to control. I suppose NPCs could be totally under AI control thus allow FPS ... but have you ever seen a games AI that wasn't mostly brain dead?

Oh, but the skills will obviously be cut down to a handful of basics and their effects trimmed down and streamlined to so minuscule an impact that they won't really matter in the heat of the hectic FPS action (nor at all in the grand scheme of things).

Last edited:
Top Bottom