Assassin's Creed Unity

+
Ubisoft's EA moment when they realize they can't keep fucking their consumers up their asses and expect them not to yellow angrily.

Updated the game at 1.3 and somehow the textures got A LOT WORSE and gained 0 FPS from doing so. I cant even describe how bad the textures are right now at ultra... Even Arno's robe is blurry at all times. NPC clothes and faces have even closer pop up distance now, you gotta get face to face with them until an ok texture pops up.

I thought patches were supposed to fix shit...

I believe i saw something about these new patches make shadows and other graphics options looks worse aswell.

Ubisoft deserves an award for making a game only for "next" gen look and run even worse than previous gen games lawl.

Last edited:
I've been playing Unity with the newest patch and the highest settings, and my Lord is this game pretty or what.

Sometimes it feels like I'm playing a CGI movie. Other times... not so much.

View attachment 8504

Suprisingly I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love the clothing customization they've introduced, co-op missions can be a lot of fun too [until they bug out and you have to quit, which happened to me more than once already]. Recreated revolutionary Paris is astounding and filled with so much detail, you only wish the story wasn't eye-rolling sometimes.

Attachments

• ACU_2014_12_07_23_03_24_348.jpg
    ACU_2014_12_07_23_03_24_348.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 69
How's the combat? The only experience I have with the AC series is AC2, and combat there bored me with the enemies waiting their turn and you with your unbreakable defense. Did they change that?

Combat is a bit more like fencing, less frantic than usual and a bit harder. People don't like it anyway, so I've heard. I found it good...

@Luxorek
A shame this game had this launch, because I think nobody will top the world they built for quite a while.

@eliharel Combat is... well, at first it seems like it hasn't changed, but then you start dying... and dying. And you realize that you have to be much more careful, it isn't just mindless clicking of the counter button. You get a lot of tools to make the combat easier - smoke bombs, poison bombs, stunning bombs, you can quick shot in combat. Strong strikes, staggering strikes. Counter is there as well, but it isn't an insta-kill. Enemies don't take turns to hit you now.

I rarely die at this point in the game, since I've purchased [with the in-game currency] the best of equipment and I am used to controls now. It still happens now and then though, usually when there is a lot of enemies, especially those who use guns. Stealth is also an option [and it works!], but it was definitely more of an addition and can incredibly frustrating in co-op missions, where being found out means restarting the mission.

@Cheylus I agree. The way they recreated Paris is... just beautiful. Crowds numbering hundreds, burning puppets of the king, the general feeling of a city slowly descending into chaos, as Sans-Culottes murder anyone they deem traitor to the revolution. I love that! And the songs ! When you buy clubs, you can enter them and hear people sing songs from the times of the Revolution - anything from La Marseillaise to more obscure ones.

Some more screenshots from me.

And a bonus...

Last edited:
@Luxorek
Hm, you do know that all your shots are somehow clinched? There is something wrong with the picture ratio...

But it's nice to see that I'm not the only one playing AC with mouse and keyboard. ;)

@Luxorek
Hm, you do know that all your shots are somehow clinched? There is something wrong with the picture ratio...

But it's nice to see that I'm not the only one playing AC with mouse and keyboard. ;)

I have a 1400x900 monitor and so I enabled 'stretching' in game options to get rid of the black bars. I imagine to people with 1920x1080 displays the screenshots must look weird :p Sry for that my friends.

No problem, mate. And nice clipping error in that last one.. :D

The hot-air ballon sequence is actually one of my favorites from the game. It has that typcial AC charme.

I finished it a few days ago and I was enjoying the game throughout. I won't rant about the tech problems, they're there but I managed to get it to work on decent fidelity with relatively no fps dips.

Story
I liked Arno and would like a sequel with him. Edit: I just realized Arno is the river that runs through Florence, Ezio's birthplace. Damn you Ubisoft
Yes the story was too short and had some problems but it was ok. The ending especially was done for feels fishing and It worked on me but for an hour or so, nothing like the way AC4:BF ended, It kept me awake for a week.
The side missions needed a bit more narrative to them, they felt like you're a bystander even tho you were the one doing them.
The modern day "story" is toplel, seriously who thought of killing Desmond and replacing him with that? Forced future Paris sections and data recoveries are the icing on the cake, what a load bullcrap...

Gameplay
The game difficulty has been upped and for the first time since AC1 I died in combat, quite a bit in fact. The combat however isn't even close to that AC1 level, its slow and unresponsive. I could only play with a sword, the other weapon types seem to have been put there for variety's sake.
Freerunning is fun again, well not on AC2 level of fun but it's way better than the recent titles. It has been dumbed down even by AC3's standards, you just press up and Arno would jump any distance vertically to do your bidding. It's great for the outdoors but it doesnt work in interiors at all.
The initiates method of unlocking singleplayer gear requires a 50 page rant but I will abstain. Just fuck any online features integrated into SP. The customization system is probably the best new feature and they managed to ruin it by slapping the online bullshit on it. That's Ubisoft in a nutshell I suppose
Let's not forget collectibles which are like EVERYWHERE. 110 or 120 cockades and another 200+ chests that take up half of your in game time and give you 0 reward. Yes you get a few color templates but the only good one is the 100 cockades black one. Chests give you like 150 bucks, the ones that give 1000-4000 have a 3 level lock which requires a skill unlocked after sequence 9. The problem here is that you don't need the money at seq 10 to go out of your way to hunt down these chests (their locations aren't unlocked by synchronizing the vantage points) because you're already a baller owning a luxury chain of caffes all over Paris.

It turned into a bit of a rant so I'll cut it short now.
Bottom line: modern day needs a story or just being dropped entirely for a pure historical game, combat needs reworking, no animus anomalies and anything of the sort, drop collectibles and find another way to keep players playing your game, optimize your games and dont bite off more than you can chew, get Cory May to write the story next time and go beg Parice to return and save his franchise from you!

From the ending cutscene I was left with the impression that it was wrapping up the modern day "story" but It was already setting up a sequel. Napoleon will get his hands on an apple and I'm hoping that's Arno's next game.

Something else: the speech of Louis XVI at the beginning of the game. Remarkable setting, voice acting... the game got me here. You can listen to a lengthy piece of speech if you want, and you hear people around you commentating, and even others making plans about the end of monarchy. That was great.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/948855-This-game-is-stunning!-High-resolution-screenshot-thread!

Get past the stupid debate over here and just watch at the screenshots.

Good luck to the competition.

Yeah, but that's only possible in 4k for screenshots. ;)

Nevertheless, the game is great looking, even on "just" 1080p on ultra. Kudos to the art and graphics compartment at Ubisoft. That's just a great job they've done.

By the way, I doubt GTA V will look as good on PC...

Last edited:
Nevertheless, the game is great looking, even on "just" 1080p on ultra. Kudos to the art and graphics compartment at Ubisoft. That's just a great job they've done.
Very true. Those screenshots are stunning. Such a shame that the technical department fucked 'em over. I played about 2 hours of the game myself and can't get a decent framerate half the time. Gonna try again after tomorrow's patch.

Very true. Those screenshots are stunning. Such a shame that the technical department fucked 'em over. I played about 2 hours of the game myself and can't get a decent framerate half the time. Gonna try again after tomorrow's patch.

Hm, what's your tech? The game should already deliver decent framerates right now.

Hahaha. From that thread you linked, Cheylus. I've managed to have a solid 60 FPS almost all the time, with all the settings turned to Ultra and FXAA, which I had to use since there is some weird graphical glitch, when you use TXAA or MSAA that shows small white flashing artifact lines/dots on walls inside buildings. It was driving me mad : / Lots of people on NeoGAF and Ubisoft forums seemed to have that problem, especially if they used GTX 970 like me.

Anyway. I finished the game today and i sure as hell didn't like the ending. It was sooo predictable the way they framed it - and so unnecessary. Bah, I don't even wanna think about it, since I actually got invested in the story. Which is funny, because I just realized the game's plot was basically "find what happened to the Sage's body". No saving the world, no alien bullcrap. Weirdly personal... and small.

Overall, I really liked it. And I didn't expect to after reading all the reviews and such. Funny how that turned out.

Oh well, now let's hope the DLC turns out to be good. It's free after all.

GTX770, i5-4670K CPU, 8GB RAM. Haven't tried to play it for 2-3 weeks or longer now though. But I'll check it out again tomorrow.

Try playing it with these settings:

Texture - High
Environment - High
Shadow - Low
AO - SSAO
AA- FXAA
Bloom - off
Resolution - 1680x1050

The game should deliver at least 30-40 FPS with your hardware.

The patch tomorrow is probably more about bugfixing than about overall performance so I wouldn't count on it too much...

Top Bottom