Npc Armor design in the witcher 3

+
It's strange that, in Rigsthula you have four classes, but they also seem to be races as well: Thralls, strong, ugly, red haired and hard working. Carls, from farmers to craftsmen and soldiers, clever, fair and good. Hersir, nobility who are said to be fair, handsome, tall, strong and battle ready. And then of course Kon the Younger, first king or Konung, who was said to be generous and ruthless.

The Thralls seem to be the most interesting to me, especially since they had the strongest of gods as their patron, Mighty red headed Thor himself. I often think that this might be indicative of two races meeting, interbreeding and settling into different classes.

I recall from the Irish annals that the first raiders were described as being two distinctly different groups by hair colour, on fair & one dark, but I forget which came first, though I remember whoever it was preceded the other by ~30 years. I always assumed this indicated Swedes & Danes but never looked into it too much. I seem to recall reading something about this in recent genetic reports too.

I used the word "class" in my last post, thats not what I meant to use, "caste" is far more appropriate, and within each caste you would have ranks of course, so it does get complicated trying to identify whos who. Add to that the "Productivity" caste is every profession where there is creativity (not just "menial" work that we might assume of the phrase today), also that Sovereignty is essentially the religious caste (which would include all kinds of things not obvious to us now), and that there would have been a "slave" level (whether voluntarily indentured or captives) outside of the caste system it all gets quite complex.

But many of the Irish records indicate that we could be talking about essentially a third of a population group involved in warfare. Within that third there would have been ranks (some of the Irish sources detail 7 ranks or levels of "class" - and the number 7 is often mythically referenced too with the 3 & 9, those three numbers would be the most common in Irish myths - but some of those detailed ranks appear either false, impractical, or ceremonial). So some of any band of Irish raiders would be much better equipped and used differently than others, with degrees between the best & the worse.

I imagine the Vikings would've been somewhat the same.

O yeah a poor Carl or Thrall might just wear a leather jack or his woolen tunic and a shield, while Jomsvikings (if they existed) or Huscarls would have heavy mail, three shields (for the holmgangs) and many weapons. Hardrada's few Berserker bodyguards (Varangians?) when he clashed with erm...I think Sveyn Forkbeard (not sure) supposedly wore shirts of Byzantine cataphract mail, so yeah there was variation. Not a lot but then again mail was the go to choice for a fair few centuries, since its inception.

Edit: Egil Skallagrimsson never wore mail supposedly, even in battle.

Last edited:
I think that Gallowglass picture, and the large body of contemporary writings of them, probably tells us quite a lot about how they fitted into any army or raiding party. The fact that they had two "serfs" to carry their weapons & armour seems to have contributed to the remarkable speed the Gael (& i'm assuming Viking also) armies could manage over rough terrain and still be capable of battle afterwards. Just like alternating walking and running while marching, I bet they shared the job of carrying the arms, thereby extending the duration of stamina for everyone involved.

These serfs weren't slaves, they were just low class but obviously would still be in this proposed military caste, perhaps young, probably under training of their masters. In the Irish caste system a lower class person could rise (or for that matter change caste) by a wide number of methods, including by merit of deeds done. So military serfs trained in weapons, and must've helped out their immediate "masters" during the battles, but whenever we read of Gallowglass in battle - they are shock troops & choke point defenders - we never hear much about what their serfs did. Although I did read once that a serf was raised to Gallowglass status after picking up his fallen masters weapons in combat. It makes sense that they played some support role, perhaps finishing off the vanquished as they advance, or as Slingers - an ancient (plus mobile, effective & cheap) warrior skill all military caste children would learn long before they can train with swords, and yet we stop hearing about them as a battle formation around 1000ad.

Btw thats why I mentioned Gallowglass in the first place, because no modern scholar would argue that they - with their serfs analogous to a knights squire - weren't of a "noble" rank, and supports your view that the primary Viking warriors were a noble infantry, not simply a rabble of marauders. But then I think we don't generally understand how things were back then, from what I've read, I believe there was a more "level playing field" when it comes to social status in the early middle ages than there was in the later middle ages, perhaps even now at least in the vast difference between haves & havenots, when you consider all wealth was based on working of the land, and the majority of people had some land... but that would be another topic.

I guess I'm kind of proposing that since we can see the direct inheritance of Viking warfare so clearly in the Gallowglass, we could assume that they always travelled in a group consisting of some heavily armoured nobles (Jarls & extended family (Huscarls?) perhaps?) with then ~twice as many support as light troops (~Carls, Thralls etc?).

Attachments

• gallowglass_warriors_Felim_O'Connor's_tomb_RoscoAbbey.jpg
    gallowglass_warriors_Felim_O'Connor's_tomb_RoscoAbbey.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 88
  • gallowglass_sparth_axe_rosco_abbey.jpg
    gallowglass_sparth_axe_rosco_abbey.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 59
What really matters is that the game stays far away from Dragon Age: Inquisition territory. The game's been all but unplayable for me simply because the immersion takes a trip down the toilet everytime you look at the arms and armours. There's a sidequest (One of the incredibly few that aren't initiated through a letter or finding a corpse) where one of your soldiers informs you that the poor refugees are freezing and that you need to find supplies for them. Then you take a look at his armour and notice that he's wearing some sort of sleeveless armour ... sure we get to see his nicely toned arms, but really? And then there are the scouts with hoods so massive they deny all peripheral vision (Tommy Wiseau: Good thinking!), the pink scale armour I ran across yesterday (Which seems to be an exact copy of the armour I was using up until then, only it has better stats and is pink) and just about every single weapon. Why does everything have to look so stupid? What were they on when they designed these things? I found a sword called "The Sweetish Fingers" which is a sword with a regular sword blade that then splits into several "needles". I don't know how to screenshot with Origin so I can't show it here but it looks horrible (No wonder striking my opponent with my shield does more damage).

If CD Projekt Red manage to stay far away from all of that we might just have a great game on our hands. Imagine watching Game of Thrones or Rome, only all the characters are wearing studded loin cloths, wielding two-handed gladii (I suppose that's how you pluralise gladius?) and their scutums are covered in pimpy, pink hide that doesn't even fit the shape of the shield and appears to be nailed on. I do believe I'd have a hard time appreciating the story if that were the case.

Edit:

View attachment 7760

Click the picture to see the sword in all its glory.

Attachments

• ScreenshotWin32_0002_Final.jpg
    ScreenshotWin32_0002_Final.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

That's not a sword... it's a fork... and it appears to be made of tin at that. Pathetic.

Egil Skallagrimsson never wore mail supposedly, even in battle.

Well, the last I heard it was the continental - Alpine - Celts (the ones who raided Rome in the mid millenium BC) who invented chainmail, so it's been around that long at least. Though the Gael didn't fancy it much... metal skin? extra protection? What are you, a coward? Sissypants Vikings ! ;)

What really matters is that the game stays far away from Dragon Age: Inquisition territory. The game's been all but unplayable for me simply because the immersion takes a trip down the toilet everytime you look at the arms and armours. There's a sidequest (One of the incredibly few that aren't initiated through a letter or finding a corpse) where one of your soldiers informs you that the poor refugees are freezing and that you need to find supplies for them. Then you take a look at his armour and notice that he's wearing some sort of sleeveless armour ... sure we get to see his nicely toned arms, but really? And then there are the scouts with hoods so massive they deny all peripheral vision (Tommy Wiseau: Good thinking!), the pink scale armour I ran across yesterday (Which seems to be an exact copy of the armour I was using up until then, only it has better stats and is pink) and just about every single weapon. Why does everything have to look so stupid? What were they on when they designed these things? I found a sword called "The Sweetish Fingers" which is a sword with a regular sword blade that then splits into several "needles". I don't know how to screenshot with Origin so I can't show it here but it looks horrible (No wonder striking my opponent with my shield does more damage).

If CD Projekt Red manage to stay far away from all of that we might just have a great game on our hands. Imagine watching Game of Thrones or Rome, only all the characters are wearing studded loin cloths, wielding two-handed gladii (I suppose that's how you pluralise gladius?) and their scutums are covered in pimpy, pink hide that doesn't even fit the shape of the shield and appears to be nailed on. I do believe I'd have a hard time appreciating the story if that were the case.

Edit:

View attachment 7760

Is that a fork? Looks like it fits just in with the rest of the weird stuff in this game.

Honestly i dont mind if the witchers(Lambert,Eskel and Letho) will get new armors. Comparing with Geralt and Vesemir`s armor, their gear from the Witcher 2 looks poor and oldfashioned even on enhanced engine.

No , i mean it in terms of protection. Lambert and Eskel wears just leather shirts, when Vesemir and Geralt got padded and chainweaved pieces of armor. Not very smart choice in battle i suppose. Even book Geralt i think wore gambeson-leather padded jacket like most HEMA fencers uses nowadays.

Last edited:
No , i mean it in terms of protection. Lambert and Eskel wears just leather shirts, when Vesemir and Geralt got padded and chainweaved pieces of armor. Not very smart choice in battle i suppose. Even book Geralt i think wore gambeson-leather padded jacket like most HEMA fencers uses nowadays.

No, he doesn't. He wore just a simple leather jerkin in the books, much like the clothes Lambert and Eskel wear in the trailer...

I may remember you that Geralt is more a hunter and not a knight. He doesn't usually fight against armoured opponents or skilled human fighters at all but against monsters and he 100% relies on his speed and skill here. So he doesn't need any body armour. And actually he cannot even afford one. He can barely afford the leather clothes he's usually wearing. Geralt is really, really poor in the books, barely able to get by his daily bread and water most of the time... ;)

Actaually i thought about something like this
with hard leather with linen layers beneath or really hard leather. Because yes , maybe he is a witcher , but he is not Superman or Wolverine with healing factor and he really can get his ass kicked by monsters, like that happened in 2nd book when he defended the merchant before he found Ciri again. And yes he is poor from times to times, but he is not buying one dress every day. And remember , he still earning moneys from contracts like in Novigrad, where he bought a new jacket, so that means he is still can afford it(and sometimes even basilisk skin made boots).

Actaually i thought about something like this
with hard leather with linen layers beneath or really hard leather. Because yes , maybe he is a witcher , but he is not Superman or Wolverine with healing factor and he really can get his ass kicked by monsters, like that happened in 2nd book when he defended the merchant before he found Ciri again. And yes he is poor from times to times, but he is not buying one dress every day. And remember , he still earning moneys from contracts like in Novigrad, where he bought a new jacket, so that means he is still can afford it(and sometimes even basilisk skin made boots).

That's roughly what I was thinking he'd wear, though maybe not as colourful as that!

Top Bottom