The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
I believe that they should make these free expansions that add minor content to the game, like a single questline, give us a choice to change our characters looks and so on, but I do agree with pimgx On the point that they absolutely have to keep improving it with Skyrim-style DLCs as he calls them that add huge amounts of depth to the game and I would not mind paying for them when they come out

As for Witcher 4, I believe they said that Witcher 3 will be the final game in the series, but I look forward to their future projects and all the upcoming DLCs

So how will all these DLC's work now that the game has been delayed again?

Presumably if the 3 months is just "more polish time", then the people working on these DLC's are still free to continue working on the DLC's...

Might be too early to ask this kind of question, but it would be nice to know if the plans for these DLC's has changed at all now.

So how will all these DLC's work now that the game has been delayed again?

Presumably if the 3 months is just "more polish time", then the people working on these DLC's are still free to continue working on the DLC's...

Might be too early to ask this kind of question, but it would be nice to know if the plans for these DLC's has changed at all now.

First, I'm going to assume that Marcin's statement, "we took another look at current workloads and what they mean for the team. Even though everyone is working at full speed, we concluded that we need another 12 weeks" is true, and I'm going to ignore claims that it isn't. Claims that it is anything but true are not founded in any knowledge and are mere FUD.

Then it would depend on the relationship between the work on the DLCs and the work that was the cause of the delay. If any of the work had been deferred to a DLC, but needed to be pulled back into the main project, it could mean that one or more projected DLCs could be moved back into the original game; the overall content would be the same, but the DLCs would be fewer.

But it's more likely that the DLCs are enrichment and weren't partitioned in a way that contained any core functionality. In this situation, it's more likely that the DLCs will remain the same and be delayed along with the original game. I think it is also likely that some developers who were working on early DLCs will be pulled back into working on the core game. This would improve the chance of hitting the new date with a reliable game, at the expense of the DLC schedule.

I'm fine with that. I want to spend my free time playing the game, not helping support users who are unable to get it installed or started or run into game-breaking blocks.

But it's more likely that the DLCs are enrichment and weren't partitioned in a way that contained any core functionality. In this situation, it's more likely that the DLCs will remain the same and be delayed along with the original game. I think it is also likely that some developers who were working on early DLCs will be pulled back into working on the core game. This would improve the chance of hitting the new date with a reliable game, at the expense of the DLC schedule.

Yea depends on the priorities and what's happening in the studio because of the delay, and so as I said it might simply be too early for CDPR to make a comment on the DLC's and the state of them.

However I just put forward the question because I thought of it, and on the off-chance CDPR could answer this, it would be nice to hear something about it. Although I'm happy to wait, I wasn't going to jump to any conclusions, but I figured that lack of evidence to the contrary meant the benefit of the doubt would go to the DLC's being delayed with the game as you stated and it'll probably all still come out gradually after release as planned.

I just posted in one of the other threads about the process in a listed company for this kind of major change (a shipping delay for a major product). One aspect is that individual team leaders, project managers and so on don't know there's going to be a delay announcement until it actually happens. So it won't be until now that these guys are sitting down and working out the new schedules, and the impact on the DLCs.

Obviously, they're going to have to tell us sometime, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for a while.

I just posted in one of the other threads about the process in a listed company for this kind of major change (a shipping delay for a major product). One aspect is that individual team leaders, project managers and so on don't know there's going to be a delay announcement until it actually happens. So it won't be until now that these guys are sitting down and working out the new schedules, and the impact on the DLCs.

Obviously, they're going to have to tell us sometime, but I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for a while.

That's right. The possibility of anybody having made a snap decision is somewhere between impossible and ridiculous. The delay was in the works for some time, beyond any reasonable doubt. However, you announce these things at times that serve to reinforce confidence and negate criticism, and the substantive criticisms of the trailer (as opposed to the tinfoil hat claims of deliberate downgrading) may have played a role in the selection of this time and not another.

But as it appears to be an engineering-driven delay, it is likely that lower engineering managers (principal engineers, project managers, etc.) were well aware of the need for delay, had been making forecasts calling for and justifying the delay, and ultimately got what they wanted. They would not have been in the dark about it, and they would have done the planning needed to get the work done once the delay was granted.

None of this means we have any grounds for demanding any more information than we have been given already. Engineering process and decisions are strictly, very strictly, confidential.

This is what I love about CD Projekt Red. That and the fact that it incorporates the most amazing legends and folklore that I grew up listening to into an immersive fantasy world where they are all true. I am referring to the Witcher series ofcourse.

Rather than cashing in on some minor DLCs CPDR has decided to release them for free to everyone who has bought the game.

I am so glad that I prepurchased WItcher 3!

Of course it does make sense. You've just misunderstood the intention of these DLCs. They are 100% marketing. They are about the message that they are free for everyone. Just implementing all the stuff in the final release would destroy that message they've properly built up to be "different from big publishers like EA and Ubisoft".

If it all would just be directly about us customers and the quality of the game itself all the DLCs would be indeed included in the final release. And/or instead of releasing "16 DLC packs" they would consider releasing an EE like before or even a full expansion pack. Releasing DLC - no matter if free or not, it's the very concept itself that's bad - is actually quite strange because DLCs itself are one of the real pestilents of modern gaming...

Delaying the game, and having more time, just to later waste that time on what was supposed to be DLC doesnt make sense imo.

Maybe the DLC is just marketing, whatever, but you say as if it was an universal truth that if they'd care about the quality of the game and us customers the DLC would be now included, not to me.

To me, maintaining the DLC out of the development process where much more important things can be done, such as polishing and bug fixing, is better choice in terms of the game's quality.

In addition the DLCs, at least the 4 first showed, are really looking like DLC style content, meaning, its pretty much additional needless content, a tiny bonus like thing that doesnt even matter much, im thankful they aren't hoping to release the game with it included.

Sure maybe they are lying and its all ready, or the people working on them went for cyberpunk or whatever, but I dont think its the case here, it'd be unlikely

Delaying the game, and having more time, just to later waste that time on what was supposed to be DLC doesnt make sense imo.
It actually does because at least some of the DLC stuff is just about simple graphical updates like new clothes or hair. You don't really think that 100% of the Witcher staff is fixing bugs until the very last second? I don't think so. Especially the art people are not really deeply involved in the late development bugfixing and optimization processs, at least not in my experience. But anyway, even if they were I don't demand the DLC being included in the game. I don't support the whole DLC strategy in general.

Maybe the DLC is just marketing, whatever, but you say as if it was an universal truth that if they'd care about the quality of the game and us customers the DLC would be now included, not to me.
That's not what I've meant. I meant the general decision to release DLC in the way they do. Especially compared to traditional "consumer-friendly" solutions like full expansion packs or their very own Enhanced Edition strategy. What's the purpose of releasing for example new clothes for Yennefer some weeks after release? At that point most fans will proably have already played the game through and skipped to something else. And even then that's hardly a reason to return to the game. So it doesn't really enchance the quality of the game for the normal player but it does indeed prevent people from selling their copy (I mean the console crowd here with retail games) because they think they could miss out on something. That's actually why DLC was invented in the first place, to undermine the used games market. It's just beyond me how CDPR can be so fundamentally opposed to DRM, calling it the worst thing in gaming, while they gladly support such business practices like DLC that are - from a consumer point of view - clearly worse than e.g. a full expansion. I mean think for yourself: what's better for the gamer? A new piece of DLC released every two weeks after release and maybe a new little mission release every few weeks or a full expansion that offers all the cosmetic stuff and a full storyline/plot with more than just a package of simple, unconnected missions?
Or if there won't be any expansion at all I'd rather have the people working on a completely new game or contributing to Cyberpunk than having them working on pointless cosmetic DLCs and missions only a small fractions of the consumers will ever play (that's sadly the truth...).

There was a game design philosophy back in the days which told people to release full, meaningful, consistent games and then go on to the next project, be it an expansion or a completely new game. What's really the point in announcing and releasing this 16 small DLC packs if not just the message that their DLC is free and Ubisoft's not? It sounds good in the first moment - no question about that - but the effect and benefit for the player is rather small in the end and it also comes with quite some opportunity costs...

So out of the three possible workload strategies "full expansion pack", "16 DLC packs" and "working on another game/project" the DLC strategy is imo clearly the worst for the gamer/consumer and I don't think that is something to cherish about...

Last edited:
It actually does because at least some of the DLC stuff is just about simple graphical updates like new clothes or hair. You don't really think that 100% of the Witcher staff is fixing bugs until the very last second? I don't think so. Especially the art people are not really deeply involved in the late development bugfixing and optimization processs, at least not in my experience. But anyway, even if they were I don't demand the DLC being included in the game. I don't support the whole DLC strategy in general.

That's not what I've meant. I meant the general decision to release DLC in the way they do. Especially compared to traditional "consumer-friendly" solutions like full expansion packs or their very own Enhanced Edition strategy. What's the purpose of releasing for example new clothes for Yennefer some weeks after release? At that point most fans will proably have already played the game through and skipped to something else. And even then that's hardly a reason to return to the game. So it doesn't really enchance the quality of the game for the normal player but it does indeed prevent people from selling their copy (I mean the console crowd here with retail games) because they think they could miss out on something. That's actually why DLC was invented in the first place, to undermine the used games market. It's just beyond me how CDPR can be so fundamentally opposed to DRM, calling it the worst thing in gaming, while they gladly support such business practices like DLC that are - from a consumer point of view - clearly worse than e.g. a full expansion. I mean think for yourself: what's better for the gamer? A new piece of DLC released every two weeks after release and maybe a new little mission release every few weeks or a full expansion that offers all the cosmetic stuff and a full storyline/plot with more than just a package of simple, unconnected missions?
Or if there won't be any expansion at all I'd rather have the people working on a completely new game or contributing to Cyberpunk than having them working on pointless cosmetic DLCs and missions only a small fractions of the consumers will ever play (that's sadly the truth...).

There was a game design philosophy back in the days which told people to release full, meaningful, consistent games and then go on to the next project, be it an expansion or a completely new game. What's really the point in announcing and releasing this 16 small DLC packs if not just the message that their DLC is free and Ubisoft's not? It sounds good in the first moment - no question about that - but the effect and benefit for the player is rather small in the end and it also comes with quite some opportunity costs...

So out of the three possible workload strategies "full expansion pack", "16 DLC packs" and "working on another game/project" the DLC strategy is imo clearly the worst for the gamer/consumer and I don't think that is something to cherish about...

The people necessary to implement the DLC contents really depends on what are they trying to do, a new sword sure, but a new quest is different. Unfortunately I dont know what are the other 12 DLC's about to get an idea. Also I think its too much of a wild speculation that they dont use the artist in the later stages of development for example, I mean sure its totally possible, but many times all devs are making little fixes and changes to their work if they have the time, its all interconnected, the time might be mainly for technical improvements, but whole thing probably gets tweaked til the end.

I agree DLC is not a very positive thing thats worth it, but I wasnt discussing that, I was talking about once the DLC already exists and is planned, what should they do with it. I'd prefer a big expansion or just patches and balancing, or send devs to work on another game. Also, you can have expansion packs but released piece by piece, but thats beyond the point.

Now the DLC's reason to exist probably is to look as a good company that gives you free stuff, im not arguing that, but there are other things included, its also the cheapest and laziest way of adding content to the game for example. It's better than not adding anything, but doesnt cost as much as an expansion. I dont mind that if they are not willing to invest in a full expansion pack, I dont care much about it either but it is what it is.

I didnt know DLC was invented for the purpose you mention, it sounds strange since most DLCs are paid, and everything that costs money will likely be cheaper later, so why keep the game instead of selling it?, and why not buy a used game later when its cheaper and its DLCs are cheaper, or the GOTY edition is available?. If the DLCs were free, then its a tiny bit more understandable, even though like you said for TW3, they are hardly a reson to return to the game, or keep it.

previously Announced 16 DLC integration in full release for may and Eredin armor

since we have further 3 months of delay now and the planned dlc was almost all aestetich changes and were planned in tranchs of 4 if i remmeber correctly and with a weekly release i take we will see them at launch all included in the game yes? and since we have more time now i take this chance to ask the dev to add a little dlc more to the bounch ( nothing major do't worry ) could you PLEASE add back Eredin armor old version via DLC ,like you did with yennefer change in apperance? no offence buth the new look is the most generic and unispired thing i ever aw really, like someone else said you made him look like one of hes own goons, hell some of the gons have BETTER armor than him now, so please, please give us the option to freely choose what appereance we like more. someone will modd this in the first week after the toolkit release anyway, so you could very well make it official, since i like it way more when it is you directly to release this kind of stuff.

anyone agree?

They've planned out their schedule based on a specific workload. To add more to that workload means even more crunch time, and a higher risk of new bugs being introduced. So no, let them finish their work. Sticking to the plan with the DLC won't kill anyone.

and regarding the old Eredin armor design? i don't mind waiting even more if we can have that back, evn post launch

and regarding the old Eredin armor design? i don't mind waiting even more if we can have that back, evn post launch

You know...I think that The Witcher 3 is their work. They don't have to do something just to please some gamer. They should made their own artistic choices.n. This means no simplification about gameplay (made for casual gamers) and that we should accept their artistic choices, even if we don't like them.
I think that a videogame shouldn't be a consumer goods, but a creative work of art, music, game design and writing. So, if CDPR think that the new Eredin design is better, I accept it.
So...I disagree with your proposal.

You know...I think that The Witcher 3 is their work. They don't have to do something just to please some gamer. They should made their own artistic choices.n. This means no simplification about gameplay (made for casual gamers) and that we should accept their artistic choices, even if we don't like them.
I think that a videogame shouldn't be a consumer goods, but a creative work of art, music, game design and writing. So, if CDPR think that the new Eredin design is better, I accept it.
So...I disagree with your proposal.

damn.....i cannot disagree with this......but the new design is still SUPER bad compared to the old one....let's hope someone mods it as soon as possible to have the old one back in than

I think a cool paid expansion(s) could be, whatever Geralt was doing right after the events of TW2.
What happened with Geralt during those 6 months leading up to TW3? I wan't to play that, also what about that elf/flower place/island/city people keep talking about from the books? Anyways.. I'm stoked for all the cool free dlc, thanks cdpr team!
Very Awesome. :)

I think a cool paid expansion(s) could be, whatever Geralt was doing right after the events of TW2.
What happened with Geralt during those 6 months leading up to TW3? I wan't to play that, also what about that elf/flower place/island/city people keep talking about from the books? Anyways.. I'm stoked for all the cool free dlc, thanks cdpr team!
Very Awesome. :)

Dol Blathanna or Valley of the flowers as it`s commonly called . Since it neighbors Aedirn that could very well happen as a DLC or expansion . One can hope .

Top Bottom