The General Videogame Thread

+
So I've got most of the Might & Magic games on GOG, but where do I start? Which is the better series, Heroes or M&M? I'm interested in getting into them as I missed out the first time. When they first came out, I was still on consoles.

Might and Magic and HoMM are very different. The first series is RPG and the second, strategy.

Choose what you're more in the mood for, at the moment. If I were you I would start each series from the beginning since you bought the whole thing, otherwise you should have purchased the best or most popular entries.

HoMM 2&3 are classics of the stragey genre and can still be played rather well. The MM series, however... well, it's really up to how much you're willing to suffer. ;) I'd at least suggest skipping MM1+2 for now, as they look really, really old. 3 to 5 might be an entry point - they sort of continue the story of the first two games, but not in a significant way, basically it's a story of its own, but the same villain. Otherwise you could also start with MM6, as MM6, 7 and HoMM2+3 all are set in the same universe/storyline.

Good luck. I missed it back in the day and without the nostalgia bonus, I can't get into them, really. Not while I have equally good options that are either more recent or aged better.

If I were to go by the visual fidelity and requirements, I'd guess the Max Payne 3 team did this 'port' and that means yes.

That said, on disc logs found back during the PS3/360 release showed that the PC version isn't a mere port and that work was going on for a long time, in either case that's good for us.

If I were to go by the visual fidelity and requirements, I'd guess the Max Payne 3 team did this 'port' and that means yes.

That said, on disc logs found back during the PS3/360 release showed that the PC version isn't a mere port and that work was going on for a long time, in either case that's good for us.

Fingers crossed. :clover:

Is disagree. The screens imho look imo really disappointing. I mean, yeah, it's sharp (no wonder at 4k) but that's about it. The models (especially the cars and chars) are still relatively low-polygon models with little detail. It's truly a last-gen game and it shows. Of course that was kind of expected but the system requirements, especially the recommended ones, only implicate that there won't be much more detail or visual fidelity than what we already know and what we already have seen before. That's good for all the low- and mid-tier PC owners but it kind of sucks for high-end PC users. Imo games like AC Unity and Witcher 3 look WAY better than GTA V on PC, according to those shots. Hell, even Watch_Dogs looks a lot better than GTA V on PC, even without any mod. To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed right now. I hoped for more (although that was kind of unrealistic, I know...)

And we still don't know whether they will succedd in a good PC version this time. I mean, it's good to know that the MP3 guys are involved since MP3 was a good port but it was also a quite different game (scripted linear levels vs flexible open world) with different hardware requirements and less complexity...

That's obvious though, it's a last gen game and nothing will change that.

I was comparing the 'visual fidelity' in respect to GTA IV, what it looked like and how it ran(it was a horrible port incase you want to jog your memory :p) not claiming it looks amazing. The LOD is nice, the textures look fine, it looks like a standard looking last-gen game with a few nice additions nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
That's obvious though, it's a last gen game and nothing will change that.

I was comparing the 'visual fidelity' in respect to GTA IV, what it looked like and how it ran(it was a horrible port incase you want to jog your memory :p) not claiming it looks amazing. The LOD is nice, the textures look fine, it looks like a standard looking last-gen game with a few nice additions nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, ok, I can agree with that. I still think though that they could have increased the detail and polygon-count for certain objects like cars for the PC/Next-Gen version. They look almost exactly like the low-polygon models in GTA IV, just with increase sharpness (due to higher resolution) and some better textures.

I mean, sure, it's basically a last-gen games. But why 1.5 additional years of development for basically the same version with some better textures and better resolution? That's kind of disappointment imo. I thought such a long additional development time would lead to some bigger effects in visual fidelity. Games like Battlefield 4 were released on last-gen systems already one year ago as well and the faces, cars and chars in general looked WAY better on PC than the ones in GTA V for PC...

Last edited:
GTA V PC better be fucking perfect.
Fucking delays...........View attachment 9223

Attachments

• rant.gif
    rant.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Huh, Blackguards 2 is coming out soon, apparently, pre-order available on gog. I think @.Volsung. played the first one?

Hell yeah I did. Largely underestimated. I made a post/thread wondering about what people like from video games, because some comments were just shocking. "The random number generator plots against you! The game is unfair!". What I said is variable environments convey risk which is inherent to human decision making. Isn't this what we want in strategy games? There's even a game called RISK! :p

I thought the game was tough but awesome, and can't wait to play the sequel. Definitely not for everyone though.

Also, Linux! @Gilrond and @Glaroug

Last edited:

I hope so. I want to give the franchise another chance after GTA4. I can take the cliche writing as long as the side missions and gameplay are good. The heists also sound like fun. I got a chance to play it a bit on my friend's xbox and was quite impressed with the visuals.

I hope so. I want to give the franchise another chance after GTA4. I can take the cliche writing as long as the side missions and gameplay are good. The heists also sound like fun. I got a chance to play it a bit on my friend's xbox and was quite impressed with the visuals.

Impressed with the visuals? Really? Imho the game looks far worse than let's say Watch_Dogs or AC Unity. Even Battlefield 4 looks way better...

Impressed with the visuals? Really? Imho the game looks far worse than let's say Watch_Dogs or AC Unity. Even Battlefield 4 looks way better...

I've always liked their art design, but graphically, you're right. Sleeping Dogs for instance looks much more refined.

Top Bottom