Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Is there combat levels in the witcher 3 wild hunt game?

No one has mentioned combat levels, and previous games have not had a notion of combat level. Previous games have relied on abilities. So I'd say it's inconsistent with what has gone before and what veteran players would expect; in short, not likely.

The combat of this game is something I have been thinking allot about lately. Its an important part of the game for me, say what you will about graphics and story but if the combat sucks it ruins the game imo. I am certain the combat wont suck, but I have lowered my expectations somewhat. Mediocre combat plagues the rpg genre, and after inquisition I am jaded .

Anyway, has there been any word on the horseback combat? Is it still in the game or not?

The combat of this game is something I have been thinking allot about lately. Its an important part of the game for me, say what you will about graphics and story but if the combat sucks it ruins the game imo. I am certain the combat wont suck, but I have lowered my expectations somewhat. Mediocre combat plagues the rpg genre, and after inquisition I am jaded .

Anyway, has there been any word on the horseback combat? Is it still in the game or not?

yes there will be horseback combat :)

For what we've seen, I'm personally expecting a combat MUCH better than TW2's combat, but not revolutionary compared to it, it's my safe minimal bet.

I think combat will be fun, it looks awesome and I hope it feels perfect on any gamepad.
It reminds me of the responsiveness of Dragon's Dogma, and everything awesome that The Witcher 1& 2 was missing.
I didn't mind TW2 combat, but it was missing that special little something.
Even tho TW2 combat was a little boring for my taste, the awesome combat animations and story made up for it.
Yeah, after playing DAI, :( .. that combat is way boring!
Thank the gods ;) TW3 will be nothing like that crap, we have more real time control now!

DA:I's combat left me some weird impressions. The game as a whole is quite good with lots of things to do and many areas to explore, but the combat is just lacking something and i am not certain until this moment as to what it is.
It might be the combos but i don't know if it's just that. You have abilities that incapacitate targets and some abilities that do increased damage on them if they get incapacitated. If you manage to combo these attacks, you do quite some damage but if not then it seems that whatever weapon you get you are hardly scratching them. I did not like that design personaly....might just be me though.

DA:I's combat left me some weird impressions. The game as a whole is quite good with lots of things to do and many areas to explore, but the combat is just lacking something and i am not certain until this moment as to what it is.
It might be the combos but i don't know if it's just that. You have abilities that incapacitate targets and some abilities that do increased damage on them if they get incapacitated. If you manage to combo these attacks, you do quite some damage but if not then it seems that whatever weapon you get you are hardly scratching them. I did not like that design personaly....might just be me though.

actually I found the game boring...boring combat and boring quests

I ve watched the gameplay demos like 10 times, mostly to get a better sense of the combat and i wanted to disquss some things.
First of all, from what i ve seen i really like the pacing and how u kinda dance around enemies and overall im a big fan of the new combat.
Also I want to ask what kind of abilities do u think there will be in the skill tree to make the combat more awesome? In addition I want to disquss some small nitpicks i have. Please remember that these stuff are just me being obsessive over every little detail and i do understand the game is a work in progress. Having said that, some of them are the fact that there is no blood on Gerralt's sword when he is fighting or that many times stuff like tree branches, grass etc get in front of the camera which is annoying. Others are that some animation transitions are not very smooth but i hope that is to increase the responsiveness of the controls. A final one is i like how Gerralt pushes out the bottom of the holster in order for the sword to fit in but i ve notice when he does that the other sword pops out of its holster.
When all the important aspects of what makes an awesome game are there, all you can do its just nitpick small details u would like to get improved. I hope i didnt came across as an idiot because i care about these little things. These little touches make the game more believable to me and let's say i have a lot of spare time.:beer:

I ve watched the gameplay demos like 10 times, mostly to get a better sense of the combat and i wanted to disquss some things.
First of all, from what i ve seen i really like the pacing and how u kinda dance around enemies and overall im a big fan of the new combat.
Also I want to ask what kind of abilities do u think there will be in the skill tree to make the combat more awesome? In addition I want to disquss some small nitpicks i have. Please remember that these stuff are just me being obsessive over every little detail and i do understand the game is a work in progress. Having said that, some of them are the fact that there is no blood on Gerralt's sword when he is fighting or that many times stuff like tree branches, grass etc get in front of the camera which is annoying. Others are that some animation transitions are not very smooth but i hope that is to increase the responsiveness of the controls. A final one is i like how Gerralt pushes out the bottom of the holster in order for the sword to fit in but i ve notice when he does that the other sword pops out of its holster.
When all the important aspects of what makes an awesome game are there, all you can do its just nitpick small details u would like to get improved. I hope i didnt came across as an idiot because i care about these little things. These little touches make the game more believable to me and let's say i have a lot of spare time.:beer:
I have seen blood on Geralt and his sword, it just disappears real fast. I never minded tree branches getting in the way of combat, for me it can make it more intense sometimes. Another guy said that they should blur them out up close, like they do up close in some metal gear solid games. He said it would look better, I have no idea what he's talking about cuz I never played it. lol.. So.. Anyways.. maybe they will have a persistant blood/gore on/off option like DAI, who knows.. but it is a work in progress ;)

Actually after rewatching the demo, they do blur out the harppies when they get too close to the camera, i hope they can do the same with the other stuff.
It is mostly annoying because when everything else looks so sharp, having the camera clipping through low resolution objects breaks immersion and obviously gets distracting.

Does anybody know if human enemies or even intelligent monsters flee from combat. Like if you kil everybody except 1 or 2 guys, will they run away sometimes? I think this will make your opponents more believable.

Yess, that's awesome! I want to be fighting against intelligent enemies and that goes for allies as wel (allies need to be capable enough in battle ). l just hope the stuff in the article will be in the final game.. Especially the AI stuff about enemies changing their fighting style dynamically and begging for mercy on their knees when defeat is inevitable, choice in cinematics it's cool but in gameplay it is way more satisfying when you can decide whether to finish them off or spare them. Man, good AI is rare in games and i don't understand why, is it overlooked by devs or really hard to program? Graphics are always improving, why AI doesn't?

This is the plan but do not be surprised if some of the things they said will be in game do not make it because of time and cuts.

This is the plan but do not be surprised if some of the things they said will be in game do not make it because of time and cuts.

Yeah i know, thats one of the things that sucks about game development. Some awesome stuff get cut for various reasons. That's why devs need to be careful when revealing information.

Top Bottom