Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
A post has been deleted. Keep the discussion free of personal insults, please.

It wasn't directed at him, but at the action he proposed. Hence the royal "you" I used in conjunction with his usage of it. Still it came off sounding way more heated than I intended it to. So allow my to rephrase it here.

I don't know if there has been a downgrade or not. However, lets assume that there was a downgrade, which means that it can be one of two conclusions:

1. CDPR is being deliberately malicious and anti-consumer. For me, this is very hard to believe when the company has worked very hard over the last decade to build trust and goodwill with consumers. And that is still very much apart of the W3 marketing, no other major studio is anywhere close to them in that regard. It also seems strange that they would show off an allegedly "downgraded" version of the game over a year in advance. If the intent was to mislead us, then I imagine they'd do a much better job of hiding it.

OR

2. CDPR's vision was a little too ambitious and certain things had to be scaled back to meet performance goals. I don't see anything wrong with a situation like this. Its an honest regression that makes the game more enjoyable to play. This is a young studio working on the largest project in its history, its their first open world game, and their first multiplatform release. So its absolutely feasible that they were a little high in the clouds and overshot what could be pulled off in an open world. Which is fine, its great that developers have that level of ambition.

If you really believe its conclusion number 1 then you should continue creating awareness and letting folks know how slimely they are. If you think its conclusion number 2, then it really isn't a big deal and you should cut them some slack. In fact, number 2 doesn't even mean that the game has been downgraded, it just means that some of the more intensive effects probably won't receive the same optimization and are reserved for super high end PCs that can brute force them, similar to Uber Sampling in W2.

No a person should provide adequate evidence, and than intent on their part. After seriously considering the enormity of the claim. Otherwise they will come off sounding less than intelligent to others who are in disagreement with them over there assertion, or mindlessly whining with unrealistic ill defined standards.

I suspect that when we go in the game to the places seen in VGX and SOD, its gonna look just as good if not better, good luck trying to replicate the exact same environmental conditions however. The most important aspects that gave the old footage its good looks are things we havent seen again yet, and what we actually have seen again, has been improved, hair, faces, animations, etc.

*deleted post*

Calmate. Did you actually read anything I said? Those are hypothetical.

Well even if it is conclusion 1 I wouldn't go so far as to call it malicious since it's pretty much standard nowadays to exaggerate the visuals as sad as that is. Also, even though I think there should be nothing wrong in discussing this, I do find it sad that this seems to be the most active thread at the moment.

If its number 1 then it is absolutely malicious, trying to dupe an audience and get them to spend money based on false pretenses is a very serious violation of the producer/consumer relationship. I don't know if I agree that its a standard but even if it was that doesn't make it any less vile. Of course, I don't believe its the first thing anyway.

I agree that its sad that this gets so much attention. Between this, the resolution+FPS nonesense, console/PC wars, gamersgate... feels like discussion about actually playing games barely exists.

A post has been deleted. Keep the discussion free of personal insults, please.

I don't know if there has been a downgrade or not. However, lets assume that there was a downgrade, which means that it can be one of two conclusions:

1. CDPR is being deliberately malicious and anti-consumer. For me, this is very hard to believe when the company has worked very hard over the last decade to build trust and goodwill with consumers. And that is still very much apart of the W3 marketing, no other major studio is anywhere close to them in that regard. It also seems strange that they would show off an allegedly "downgraded" version of the game over a year in advance. If the intent was to mislead us, then I imagine they'd do a much better job of hiding it.

OR

2. CDPR's vision was a little too ambitious and certain things had to be scaled back to meet performance goals. I don't see anything wrong with a situation like this. Its an honest regression that makes the game more enjoyable to play. This is a young studio working on the largest project in its history, its their first open world game, and their first multiplatform release. So its absolutely feasible that they were a little high in the clouds and overshot what could be pulled off in an open world. Which is fine, its great that developers have that level of ambition.

If you really believe its conclusion number 1 then you should continue creating awareness and letting folks know how slimely they are. If you think its conclusion number 2, then it really isn't a big deal and you should cut them some slack. In fact, number 2 doesn't even mean that the game has been downgraded, it just means that some of the more intensive effects probably won't receive the same optimization and are reserved for super high end PCs that can brute force them, similar to Uber Sampling in W2.

Calmate. Did you actually read anything I said? Those are hypothetical.

If its number 1 then it is absolutely malicious, trying to dupe an audience and get them to spend money based on false pretenses is a very serious violation of the producer/consumer relationship. I don't know if I agree that its a standard but even if it was that doesn't make it any less vile. Of course, I don't believe its the first thing anyway.

I agree that its sad that this gets so much attention. Between this, the resolution+FPS nonesense, console/PC wars, gamersgate... feels like discussion about actually playing games barely exists.

Read my new repose above. Also it wasn't aimed at you sorry about the misunderstanding. It was addressed to the "hypothetical person".

Read my new repose above. Also it wasn't aimed at you sorry about the misunderstanding. It was addressed to the "hypothetical person".

Ah, no worries. I agree with you that the person should have evidence because its a very serious claim. Which is the point of creating those hypothetical, I was trying to show how much of a leap in logic it would be for a company like CDPR to become Ubisoft over night. Even IF (I don't think there is) there was a downgrade, I'm sure the reason is not just that they wanted to sell preorders.

Ah, no worries. I agree with you that the person should have evidence because its a very serious claim. Which is the point of creating those hypothetical, I was trying to show how much of a leap in logic it would be for a company like CDPR to become Ubisoft over night. Even IF (I don't think there is) there was a downgrade, I'm sure the reason is not just that they wanted to sell preorders.

Ubisoft became the current tarnished version of itself over many years of poor decisions back to back. I think CD project Red would probably dissolve the company before it came to that. Still with the new video, and Screenshot above it should be fairly obvious that they are going be able to create the experience, or possibly even exceed what they have promised.

Look at this :D :D , downgrade my ass, gg :D

View attachment 9559

downgrade-pasta confirmed

Why? isn't it important to discuss whether CDPR mislead its costumers?

It is that's why I'm in this thread in the first place.
The old material being used to try and prove a downgrade amounts to less than 2 minutes. You have, since then, and much closer to release, almost an hour of content. Come Monday, it will be an hour. Come May 19, it will be much more.

Normal customers will buy the game after May 19, after reviews and player material. Ardent customers will pre-order. In which case - caveat emptor.

Also, from GOG:

As stated in our refund policy: You can cancel pre-orders at any time before the game's release, and get your money back.

The vast majority of the material is of the allegedly downgraded quality. If anything, they are honest about the game's appearance. What you're clinging to are a few tiny snippets. That haven't been compared to anything in similar conditions.

At what point are you being misled?

Now, let's not exaggarate, TW3 would not be the best looking game on the market with SoD level of graphics either but that doesn't matter. The goal ("genre defining truly next-gen visual fidelity") has certainly been reached, considering the scope of the game.

As for the possible downgrade, I'm slightly worried, not because I'm a graphics whore or because I only care about visuals in this game, but because the trailers and demo created certain level of expectations and hype and seeing the game not living up to those would be mildly disappointing.
This short snippet suffers from the same imperfections as EB trailer, the scenes are displayed in unflattering lighting and show some low-poly rocks and low res textures in your face but that's about it. Especially if it's XBone footage (let's hope so).

If I manage to replicate this scene in the game I'll be happy. Dat purple vibe...:wub:

The way I see it is if any future PC gameplay (max settings) looks worse than the 35 min demo then we have a downgrade on our hands. Comparing trailers comprised of cut scenes, and little 2 second clips is pointless. The most only worrying thing I've seen so far is the EB trailer and we've seen better looking footage since then which suggests CDPR fucked up the trailer, rather than the game.

From that site and from the article Geek Bomb’s Most Anticipated Games of 2015 : The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
"Just this week I got the chance to play Wild Hunt for 4.5 glorious hours and it only served to make me all the more excited for May. I can’t say anything about it until the 27th (keep your eyes peeled for our First Look article!) but I can tell you that it’s just as mind blowing as it appears to be. I think making the game open world for the conclusion of the series was a stroke of genius and will ensure that your gaming experience will be in-depth, compelling and beyond addictive. God dammit I wish I could say more!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom