The GameStar Hands-On Session: Technical Matters and First Impressions

+
The GameStar Hands-On Session: Technical Matters and First Impressions

There is an article in German (dated 26 January) describing the hands-on experience of a team from GameStar.
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...el/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3082308.html

Be warned: it contains a few pages of more or less light spoilers, but I won't translate any of that here. I have translated just one section, which discusses technical details and first impressions.

A Question of Technology

Before we come to the weather report, a couple of technical details. We are playing The Witcher 3 on all three platforms, the PC, the PS4, as well as the Xbox One. The gaming computer is equipped with an Intel Core i7-4790, an ASRock Z97 motherboard, 8.0 gigabytes of RAM, a Geforce GTX 980 with 4.0 gigabytes video RAM, as well as an SSD drive. Thus, a high-end system, on which The Witcher 3 consistently runs fluently.

However, we are not allowed to switch into Ultra. The developer says the highest level will be optimized further but should run without problems on the same system. The maximum system requirements will be laid out in rough terms, but few systems will have the performance, except for systems with twin graphics cards in SLI.

Anyway, The Witcher 3 looks excellent on High and presents itself on the PC, as expected, with better antialiasing, stronger colors, sharper textures, and more shader and lighting effects than on the consoles. Polished leather armor shimmers slightly on the PC, but not on the PS4 or the Xbox. Moreover, ground details such as bunches of grass pop in at just five to seven meters in front of Geralt on the consoles, while the detailed sight distance on the PC amounts to roughly twice that.

Meanwhile, in the console race, the PlayStation 4 is clearly the leader. Admittedly, the textures are less sharp than the high details on the PC, but it matters little at normal TV viewing distance. Also, the witcher's adventure plays in 1080p on the PS4, though with just 30 frames per second, which did not bother us. On the Xbox One, Geralt's monster hunt likewise plays at 30 fps, but only in 900p; also, the textures appear slightly more washed-out than on the PS4. However, according to their claim, CD Project is still polishing the Xbox version, and they could possibly increase it to 1080p, but they will not promise that. At present, the PS4 image is sharper and more colorful.

Bottom line, The Witcher 3 looks very good on all three platforms, thanks mostly to its magnificent moody lighting: When Geralt gallops on his horse through a wheat field, when the sunrise bathes the pastoral landscape in orange-tinted light, it looks so inviting that we just want to linger in this world. Whether on PC, PS4, or Xbox One, it doesn't matter.

But we find the world to be a tad more inviting in English. We played both the German and the English version of The Witcher 3. The German translation makes a good impression; we did not notice any mistakes. The soundtrack is solid, and the voice actors are uniformly well chosen. Nonetheless, the German voice edition seems less characteristic. Hjalmar the Viking's son growls in English with a warhammer of a voice, but in German he could have just finished his business degree. And Doug Cockle, the English Geralt, has a sandpaper timbre that is unmatched, but the German witcher sounds too stiff.

I would like also a better translation of this, not necesary, google translation is enough to understand the topic and the news, but should be better. http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132&STR=3

And that "fluently" high of the demo, is 30-37 FPS. just saying.....

The Polish article is from a different session and has different content. Gregski did a good translation of it at the link that has been given.

The German article appears to differ in that the German team was given access to all three platforms; thus, it provides a first-hand comparison of the visuals between the different platforms. I probably would not have bothered, except for that.

Whether you consider 30-37 fps or so fluent or not, it is your right to that opinion, but it is not the opinion of the reviewers. I rendered the descriptions used by the reviewers with such exactness as is possible when rendering idiomatic German into idiomatic English.

Last edited:
The Polish article is from a different session and has different content. Gregski did a good translation of it at the link that has been given.

The German article appears to differ in that the German team was given access to all three platforms; thus, it provides a first-hand comparison of the visuals between the different platforms. I probably would not have bothered, except for that.

Whether you consider 30-37 fps or so fluent or not, it is your right to that opinion, but it is not the opinion of the reviewers. I rendered the descriptions used by the reviewers with such exactness as is possible when rendering idiomatic German into idiomatic English.

No sr. the 30- 37 FPS is on the CDPR RAW demo, no personal opinion there, just info from first hand, CDPR.

In fact also in the CDPR lead interview, he said the recommended (i7+ gtx 770) is for 30 FPS.

No sr. the 30- 37 FPS is on the CDPR RAW demo, no personal opinion there, just info from first hand, CDPR.

In fact also in the CDPR lead interview, he said the recommended (i7+ gtx 770) is for 30 FPS.

Be that as it may, my duty was to present the reviewer's opinion of the game, not editorialize on it in any way. The reviewer used the phrase "durchgehend flüssig", which is accurately rendered in English as "fluent throughout".

You are free to disagree with the reviewer's opinion, but that will not change what he wrote.

So xbox is coming out in the last place? I don't think Microsoft is happy about that - impending delay detected.
I imagine a conversation like this took place between CDPR and their Microsoft overlord after these previews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQB2NXfJev0&t=1m41s

Anybody who expected otherwise is mistaken. Xbone doesn't have the hamsters to keep up, and everybody including the Microsoft overlords knows it. If CDPR can push the Xbone to 1080p on this game, it will be a minor miracle.

Anybody who expected otherwise is mistaken. Xbone doesn't have the hamsters to keep up, and everybody including the Microsoft overlords knows it. If CDPR can push the Xbone to 1080p on this game, it will be a minor miracle.

Well, it's not all that clear apparently. This is from German magazine PC Games (translated):

[...]
The PS4 version runs in full HD and is locked to 30fps. The Xbox One also runs at 30fps, but currently "only" at 900p (as if this was important). The PS4 version convinced us during our hands-on: texture sharpness and foresight appeared to be decreased in comparison to the PC version a little bit and distant details in the vegetation (e.g., grass bundle) were obviously faded out earlier, however, that didn't disturb us in practice. Less gratifying was the performance: the incomplete PS4 version still had to fight with minor framerate drops and suffered from severe tearing. For comparison we looked for a few minutes at the Xbox One version which seemed to run a little bit more liquidly.
[...]
Source: http://www.pcgames.de/The-Witcher-3...il-3-Grafik-Savegame-Import-und-mehr-1149280/

So apparently the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution but also has problems with that higher resolution right now.

Well, it's not all that clear apparently. This is from German magazine PC Games (translated):

Source: http://www.pcgames.de/The-Witcher-3...il-3-Grafik-Savegame-Import-und-mehr-1149280/

So apparently the PS4 version runs at a higher resolution but also has problems with that higher resolution right now.

All that is true and accurate, but I don't see how it's relevant to the question raised, which was specifically Xbone performance.

The Xbone, for those who aren't familiar with the console architecture, and as a reminder for those who are, has a substantially cut-down graphics processor. The PS4's is 1152:72:32, which is between the 7850 and 7870, though slower than the 7870 because of a slower clock. The Xbone's is 768:48:16, which is between the 7770 and 7790, again slower because of a slower clock.

So far, CDPR has only been able to deliver satisfactory performance on the Xbone at 900p. As the article stated, they are trying to reach 1080p on the Xbone, but are not promising it.

The situation with the PS4 is irrelevant, though it is a valid point that they have not been able to deliver fully satisfactory 1080p performance on the PS4.

Oh fuck no... I can't stand screen tear!! Noooo. I hope they fix that, I mean if xbox one can't handle 1080p but has zero screen tear, then leave it the hell alone unless you are damn certain it won't tear.
Sounds like PS4 can barely handle 1080p its self. Well maybe these next 3 months they can nail it :)

He didn't said for High... it's probably for Ultra. Are you seriously thinking that a MUCH more powerful pc with 770 will only be able to run the game for 30fps on High, just as same Consoles? Don't be ridiculous.

Damn, you can say what you want, but this whole new generation of consoles still surprises me. It might still look worse than PC, but you can see that mid-budget PC users will have to wait some time (probably until late next year) to be sure to have a PC that lasts for the next few years, considering the consoles really did a big leap and the PC hardware we get just barely holds up to give us our usual 50 - 60 FPS with High/Ultra settings with those new game engines.
My upgrade sure will be expensive....

Oh fuck no... I can't stand screen tear!! Noooo. I hope they fix that, I mean if xbox one can't handle 1080p but has zero screen tear, then leave it the hell alone unless you are damn certain it won't tear.
Sounds like PS4 can barely handle 1080p its self. Well maybe these next 3 months they can nail it :)

um seems like people are getting varied experiences. I definitely read somewhere else that the PS4 is handling the entire thing much better than the Xbone in comparison; as in lesser frame drops and have close to high setting features and sharper textures. All of this while running under 1080p.
Obviously the PC rig that they used with a GTX 980 hardly had any of these problems asides from the in game related bugs that appear in every build.

My first experience with Witcher 3 is going to be with gtx 760 2gb for High/console settings but after about 6 months from now I'll upgrade to either gtx 970ti or 980ti for Ultra!

Damn I just can't fu*king wait for Witcher 3 :D

Last edited:
I paid 360 euros to buy an MSI GTX 970 and now I hear that we will probably need SLI to play on Ultra? I would be really disappointed if we come to that in the end.

I know I've mentioned this before, but unless I've missed something this still hasn't been cleared up so I'll ask again
They say that the 770+i7 is supposed to give you 30fps - but is this what they expect you to have on just the high settings they showed off, or is it what they think we'll get on actual max? This makes a pretty big difference.

I know I've mentioned this before, but unless I've missed something this still hasn't been cleared up so I'll ask again
They say that the 770+i7 is supposed to give you 30fps - but is this what they expect you to have on just the high settings they showed off, or is it what they think we'll get on actual max? This makes a pretty big difference.

There is no "max" that anything short of a massive SLI rig will run. They have said that Ultra will run on machines that currently run High. Ultra is not the maximum settings.

Since the 770 is considerably less performant than the demonstrated 980, I'd speculate that the game is not yet ready to run on High and 30 fps on the 770, but that it should be by release time.

Top Bottom