Should i play Witcher 1 and/or Witcher 2?

+
Should i play Witcher 1 and/or Witcher 2?

Hi
I am really impressed by TW3 and i am thinking to buy it.But i haven't played any previous games.So,although i have done much research and i learned many things about the characters,world etc,i think it would have been better to experience the games first hand.
But,because if i buy TW3,i have to play it within 2015,i fear that having played the two previous games within a few months before that,will worsen my TW3 experience.In other words it may not feel unique.
Also,TW1,no matter how good it may be,is actually a pretty old game.In the meantime,both games are known to be quite complex.So,i am not sure i am going to be able to handle them.
So,considering that they cost 30€(10+20) on steam,what do you suggest?Playing both of them?One of them?Or maybe none of them(i repeat that i think that i have sufficient knowledge to play TW3)?
Thanks in advance

I'd suggest both reading the books and playing the previous games would be enjoyable.

I'd note that GoG has the two previous games, without *any* DRM, and with additional goodies for £16.58 (22 Euro roughly). Plus more of the revenue goes to CDPR, as they own both GoG and develop the Witcher titles.

W1 is older and a bit quirky in design ~ I only found the will to actually play it through after applying mods (in my case the FCR1.6 Full Combat Rebalance - which isn't uniformly recommended for first play throughs... however as my first playthroughs without it were abandoned... while my first play through with it was both completed and fun ~ so I offer the recommendation with caveats). Story-telling has some anachronisms and changes from the lore ~ but is generally very competent. Story and atmosphere are well above normal "game" standards.

W2 has a more 'traditional' combat style ~ not again to everyone's taste, but much closer to W3 (which expands, improves and rebalances aspects of it according to reported behaviour). I got on with it better after again applying the FCR2 mod, but it is far less important than in W1 for my tastes. There are QTE that some dislike, and others can't pass easily ~ avoided in the W3. Many can be toned down in the options, and I don't think many are really *hard*, more annoying.

Both are supported by excellent music, and have OST supplied with them among the other bits and bobs.

Depends on how short you are of time and/or money, but both the books and the games are worth the investment of both for me (and I subsequently spent some time improving the fan translations for the last two books in the original saga (not Season of Storms as that is a prequel/sidequel and not completely available in a form I can actually read)).

Like Lieste said, you should read the books and then play the Witcher, then the Witcher 2. I discovered the universe and characters with the first video game, and played the second too, but I read the books last summer and it made me play the games again, and I had a new vision on the story and some characters, it really improved my love for the games and the universe and helped me understand better some things.
In the witcher you have the most mature universe, very funny things, great dialogues and immersive gameplay, added to great musics and choices which really change the world. So I'd recommend you to buy them on gog.com, and the books too, and either read books before or in the same time you play the witcher 1.
This will prepare you to the third game by introducing you to main characters, global story and mechanics of the witcher universe, and you'll be able to keep your character and game saves from one game to another, which give the whole story continuity and allow us to keep our beloved weapons and armors.
It isn't sure yet how much the Witcher 2 savegames will be used in the Witcher 3, but it will probably be different than beginning without having played the previous games.

For the Witcher: The Wild Hunt, we will be able to import saves from the PC version of The Witcher: Assassin of Kings, into the PC version of W3...

If you didn't play the earlier games on PC, or aren't playing the latest game on PC, then you will be able to inform or 'correct' people about the actual events of the previous games, to set the "opening" world state (also an option for PC users who chose not to import saves).

In other words it may not feel unique.

Even if you read the books and/or play TW1-2 I don't doubt that TW3 will still feel unique. It will not be "the same again" as TW2 wasn't it regarding TW1.

I'm right now replaying TW1 and I NEED TO PLAY TW3 so... what can I say to you?

Witcher 1's storyline is awesome and i enjoyed it more than W2. So if i were you i would play both. It doesn't matter if it's old... if you enjoy a good story, characters and great dialogues than you will love the Witcher.

They're both excellent games and for the most part TW1 holds up fine if you don't mind the point and click combat. Whatever quirks it has mostly stem from the lore, and speaking as someone who has never read any of the books, I've never understood why people thought the way potions worked was somehow a problem. The game explains it well enough, and it all makes perfect sense. But if you're really concerned about the modern feel and accessibility, TW2 will probably be more your thing.

What I definitely wouldn't worry about is already having overdosed on Witcher games by the time TW3 comes out. TW1 and TW2 play very differently, and while it looks like TW3 will be closer to its predecessor than TW2 was, there will be substantial changes to the mechanics again, and the fact that it's open world will make it very different from TW2 as well. These aren't CoD sequels. TW3 will feel like a fresh game with familiar characters.

You could wait for The Witcher 1 or The Witcher 2 to go on sale on Steam, they get really cheap fairly often.

And yes I highly recommend playing them. As for my personal experience, I was introduced to the series with The Witcher 2, and then later played, and replayed The Witcher 1. While I think The Witcher 2 has greater replayability, it's worth experiencing the story of the first game (and environments).

I can highly recommend the books and the Witcher 2, to pretty much anyone. The books are great and I'm currently on my 6th play through of the game (this is coming from someone who rarely finishes any game, especially a 20-30 hour one) so I can quite confidently say that I very much doubt you won't want to play the W3 after finishing it. As for W1, I liked the game overall but it can be a chore to play through. A lot of people here like the first game more than the second, (you might too) but they're in the minority. Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments but you shouldn't have to work for your fun. I'd still recommend the game, seeing as it's always so cheap but look into it before buying it, see if it's your thing. If not, don't worry about playing it. You only need a basic understanding of the story to get what's going on in the second game.

You should, both play the games and read the books. The CDPR not just used the books as base, but the games are full of reference form the bokks, which could be characters, situations or just a single sentence. This makes the games writing soo smart.
About the first game graphich, yeah it is old, and not so shiny az the second one, but it is still unique. It is like a moving oil painting and you will understand when you see it moving,the artistic work is really unique, it is still outstanding. I can't recommend you enough.

Top Bottom