Quick question about the books

+
Quick question about the books

I just read in a german preview that it's recommended to read the books prior to playing TW3. Or else you will experience spoilers.

I always thought that i should avoid the books to not spoil the experience of the games.

Can anyone please explain how the books and the game relate and/or how they appear chronologically? I'm a bit confused ATM.

All of the books take place before the games, if you follow the chronological order, the games take place some time after the books ended (not exactly sure how much time passed).

If anything the games will spoil things that happened in the books because characters in-game mention things that happen in the books.

If you are interested in reading the books, the chronological order is:

1 The Last Wish
2 The Sword of Destiny
3 Blood of Elves
4 Time of Contempt
5 Baptism of Fire
6 The Swallow's Tower
7 Lady of the Lake

The games then follow sometime after the ending of the 7th book. So to answer your question, the third installment might have flashbacks towards things that happened in the books that will spoil them for you.

Hope that helps.

Aha! Much appreciated.

So the books take place before the game, and the events of the game are non-canon.

Two more questions:
1) What about "lore spoilers"? (i'll try to explain if requested :)
2) Is the book series finished, or ongoing like the the Game Of Thrones books?

EDIT: Posted too late... Thx for the chronological order, Grey.

Last edited:
Aha! Much appreciated.

So the books take place before the game, and the events of the game are non-canon.

Two more questions:
1) What about "lore spoilers"? (i'll try to explain if requested :)
2) Is the book series finished, or ongoing like the the Game Of Thrones books?

What do you mean by "lore spoilers"?

The book series are most likely finished, it's difficult to tell because the author Sapkowski published a book in 2013 that's a prequel to "Blood of Elves". But I don't think any more books will be made for after the events of "Lady of the Lake".

The impression I got is that books are done, but the author is free to change his mind of course. Lore wise, books help a lot to understand the world in games. Did you play first two games already? They draw heavily on the books, but if you didn't read them you of course won't realize that. They as well have numerous references to the books.

By lore spoilers i mean that if you know the books you know the world, and then the game would not be so fresh and exciting anymore, and many things (such as monsters, monster behavior, rituals etc) that are considered lore in the books would not surprise you in the game.

Is this possible?

Or maybe it's the other way around, and the immersion is bigger after reading the books?

I think it's better to read the books first.

The difference will be a bit subtle. If you didn't read the books you'll be playing amnesiac Geralt without knowing previous events OOC-ly as well. So it's somewhat more natural. Reading the books will make you aware of the past events OOCly, but Geralt will be still amnesiac IC-ly. It makes roleplaying a bit more complex, but I don't think it hurts the experience - it only helps it.

The impression I got is that books are done, but the author is free to change his mind of course. Lore wise, books help a lot to understand the world in games. Did you play first two games already? They draw heavily on the books, but if you didn't read them you of course won't realize that. They as well have numerous references to the books.

I've played both games of course. I'm replaying ATM. TW1 is done (for the 3rd time) and still so exciting... Now on to TW2, looking forward to play w- übersampling!

I would recommend you to actually go read the books, the backbone of Witcher 3's story are the last two books of the Witcher saga (Tower of the Swallow and Lady of the Lake), the thing is, Witcher 3's story is going to be the proper epic climax of the story of the books and the story of the games at the same time (even though Witcher 3 is not canon to the books), so go read the books, they are damn good and you will enjoy Witcher 3 more because of it, trust me on that :p

Just keep in mind that when you do finish reading the books, your hype levels will significantly increase.

By lore spoilers i mean that if you know the books you know the world, and then the game would not be so fresh and exciting anymore, and many things (such as monsters, monster behavior, rituals etc) that are considered lore in the books would not surprise you in the game.

Is this possible?

Or maybe it's the other way around, and the immersion is bigger after reading the books?
I will agree with all recommends here. You should definitely read it. I think I know what will be the major spoiler revealed W3. And it's quite important and biggest spoilers from books.

I have to say, I don't care about some spoilers at all. Only in detective series, it's slightly better for me to reveal that gardener in the end, not in the beginning.. So I would recommend this primary for better understanding of that world, not because of spoilers. You will learn something about politics, environment, about people, about witchers, mages, Geralt's friends, loves,...
Of course some beasts will be revealed in books, but not all of them and if you played W1/W2, you already know many of them (more than from books).

Books never will spoil the games, on the contrary, they will help you you enjoy them and make Geralt's decisions a little bit complex to do so increasing the doubt of if you are following the right path. Because you already know the Geralt pre-amnesia and how grey his world can be.

To me, games "spoil" the books. CDPR have done something awsome: bring the world and characters we have in mind from books to a 3D portrait by an amazing respectfull and knowledge of this world. And put a bunch of new characters and fit them in that you can esily believe they were createrd by Sapkowsk himself.

No fear. Go in.

Many thanks, guys, this really helps. When i'm through with my refreshplay of TW2, i'll decide about the books.

Top Bottom